GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, very strange. From what I've read the children are rather successful so you'd think it's not like they could rearrange their schedules to remain in GA.......and it's not like they couldn't/couldn't afford to take some time off work.

And also very odd that MrD's obituary doesn't mention him being predeceased by his son Mark:

http://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Russell-Dermond/#!/Obituary

This looks like just the complimentary obit that funeral homes will put up until the family gives a more complete one. I don't know. Very short for someone of his status, IMO. My Grandparent's were all many paragraphs long. Maybe just a difference in the cultural? Maybe nothing more than that?

If I had the money, and something this tragic happened to my parents, I don't know if I would want to be at home. I'd probably be afraid someone would come after ME! Thinking I might would stay in different hotels, moving every few days or something so the perp or perps couldn't find me!!! I know I couldn't stay in that house, first it's a crime scene. Second...no way. I just couldn't. I don't know of course what I would do. I'm just thinking I would want contact with the police, and if my Mom was found, I think I would want to be near for her. But maybe they have evidence to suggest she won't be found alive? In that case, well, I guess a mental hospital would be a good place to find me. :tantrum:

Wow....all I can say is if that were my parents....I would be staying right there, until they find some kind of information. I mean, really!

I said the same thing, until I was put in that situation. Nope, couldn't do it...

ETD, It was my brother and his wife though, not my parents.

When you say that, it sounds like you're talking about a 1 or 2 alarm fire. I'd compare a decapitation to a terrorist event...not something you casually handle each day. ^i^

Around here FF's are usually the first to the scene. ( my BIL ) is one. He has nightmares over cases, and it's not over 2 am fires.

God bless you Tulessa! I appreciate your input. You have some real life experience that is invaluable. I'm just sorry what you had to go through in your life. Thank you!

Now, I've mentioned previously I'm just a country gal. Live on a small farm. Grow a garden, can my veggies and fruits, etc. I'm a disabled nurse. I no longer work at a hospital or nursing home or skilled care unit in a nursing position. My family are hunters. I do not hunt, but I do process their kills. I can tell you, deer does bleed with no beating hurt. True it doesn't spurt because there is no pulse, no blood pressure. However, the blood pools to the lowest body part. Thus if laying on the ground, blood pools under the gunshot wound, as well as the rest of the body laying on the ground. If hung, and gutted, with back legs in the air, blood drains out.

A few years ago we had a terrible buffet for the hawks. Ever other day I was losing a chicken. I dreaded going out to check on them because there would be one deheaded chicken with the rest of the body left for me. Chickens have very little blood. However, it was still upsetting.

Many, many years ago, as a nurse fresh out of nursing school, I was working at a retirement center that had a nursing facility in it. Right around 11pm, I received a call from one of the residents that another needed assistance. I was only told someone had fallen outside. It was the end of my shift, but I stayed to go check this resident while the oncoming nurse tended to beginning of her shift duties. The man hadn't fallen at all. He had committed suicide with a long gun to the head. He had no face, and there was plenty of blood everywhere. It still gives me shivers thinking about it, and I had nightmares for years after that. It is NOT something a typical nurse is use to encountering, and something that I don't see how anyone could become immune to. It's just devastating.

Even medical examiners have commented on hard doing an autopsy on children is. After all we are all humans. People do have different coping skills during a tragedy, and some are able to 'get the job done' and decompress later. But as a human, some things are going to affect you.

:moo:

So glad to see you too 2Hope4! Always enjoy your input. I know what you mean about chicken hawks. Ugh! I know they have to eat, but just not our chickens! I'm not a nurse, but my best friend is a phlebotomist and new to the field. She had to respond to the emergency room not too long ago to draw blood on a gentleman who had been cleaning out his lake/pond and somehow got sucked into the drainage pipe. He came out on the other side. Every bone was broken, basically mush (sorry about the descript), but he was still alive and they were trying to perform CPR on him ? which basically impossible because there was nothing there to compress. It was very upsetting to my friend. I think I would have fainted.

This looks like just the complimentary obit that funeral homes will put up until the family gives a more complete one. I don't know. Very short for someone of his status, IMO. My Grandparent's were all many paragraphs long. Maybe just a difference in the cultural? Maybe nothing more than that?

If I had the money, and something this tragic happened to my parents, I don't know if I would want to be at home. I'd probably be afraid someone would come after ME! Thinking I might would stay in different hotels, moving every few days or something so the perp or perps couldn't find me!!! I know I couldn't stay in that house, first it's a crime scene. Second...no way. I just couldn't. I don't know of course what I would do. I'm just thinking I would want contact with the police, and if my Mom was found, I think I would want to be near for her. But maybe they have evidence to suggest she won't be found alive? In that case, well, I guess a mental hospital would be a good place to find me. :tantrum:

This is what I'm thinking, but hoping for the best and that Mrs. Dermond is still alive. I don't know how I would handle my Mother being abducted or murdered, but I'm thinking a mental hospital would probably be a good place for me too.

Maybe some of the blood or DNA evidence was found that belonged to Mrs. Dermond. If it was a large amount of blood that was Mrs. Dermond's I would think they know she is no longer with us and yet why would the killer take a deceased Mrs. Dermond with him. It is just hard to think like such demented person that would behead someone and target an elderly woman. :scared:

SNIPPED from the second article: "He was seen May 1 at a Publix supermarket, about eight miles by car from his house. Investigators said he may have been spotted walking along a golf course near his home the next day."

Another article I read said that he HAD been seen walking on the golf course. And, a third article quoted his son as saying he stopped golfing a few years ago. I wondered why he was walking on the golf course if he no longer golfed. Probably nothing, but it caught my attention.

And, another SNIP from the second article above: “The psychics are calling, the idiots are calling,” Sills added. “Unfortunately we’ll have one legitimate call and there are eight idiots that call. ... We still desperately need that call that will break this case open.”

This is probably terrible but that gave me the first chuckle I have had in regards to this case. This Sills fellow is something. I think I would really like him if I knew him.

RE: psychics are calling, the idiots are calling

Well, there is plenty of bodies of water nearby for preparing psychic readings, huh?

RE: Idiots are calling..
Actually I did call in a tip a few days ago..
Now I am sitting here wondering if the good Sheriff is referring to me/my call, as one of the idiots calling..LOL

MotherOcean, it is common in golf course communities for folks to walk the golf cart paths, either early or late in the evening before & after the golfing.

Yep, I like Sheriff Howard Sills too, he seems to be a very colorful character, witty, and has a lot of confidence & walking around sense, imo.

Oh Foxfire! Your tip might be the one that solves the case!!! NO way he was calling YOU an idiot! But I bet he was calling all those mediums, empaths, psychics, etc. I think I could have a few cups of coffee with that sheriff, when he isn't so busy that is.

It is amazing to me that the wooded areas nearby and all of the rentals and vacant homes have not been searched after over a week. There are many reputable SARs available to assist investigators with the searches at no charge.

We always hope and pray that the victim is found safely, yet after this amount of time has passed we have to face reality, or hope for a miracle..

Catching up, I noticed many comments about the family hastily returning to FL. We discussed this a few pages back. We never judge the families of the missing/murdered victims. No two will ever react the same...imo

Yeah, in my little world, all deceased children are mentioned. My grandma's obit included her son that lived only a few months, and her grandsons that were stillborn.

Some obits in our local paper include surviving pets. :loveyou:

Maybe the elite rich do things much differently though. :blushing:

Please be forewarned this is complete conjecture on my part.

In my research, it appeared on of Mark Dermonds charges, while alive, was something to do with identity fraud. One of his listed aliases was his brother's full name.

I don't know about you but if I had a brother with whom I had little to no relationship, who constantly forced my parents to post bail for him, caused my mother complete heartache, and then used my identity for something, and I was in charge of the obit, I might choose to leave him out of it too.

It's also possible they were asked not to mention Mark until they ruled out a connection in the murders. You wouldn't want to broadcast more family names to someone who just killed a few family members in spite (if that is what happened)

Again this is just a theory

Now, I've mentioned previously I'm just a country gal. Live on a small farm. Grow a garden, can my veggies and fruits, etc. I'm a disabled nurse. I no longer work at a hospital or nursing home or skilled care unit in a nursing position. My family are hunters. I do not hunt, but I do process their kills. I can tell you, deer does bleed with no beating hurt. True it doesn't spurt because there is no pulse, no blood pressure. However, the blood pools to the lowest body part. Thus if laying on the ground, blood pools under the gunshot wound, as well as the rest of the body laying on the ground. If hung, and gutted, with back legs in the air, blood drains out.

A few years ago we had a terrible buffet for the hawks. Ever other day I was losing a chicken. I dreaded going out to check on them because there would be one deheaded chicken with the rest of the body left for me. Chickens have very little blood. However, it was still upsetting.

Many, many years ago, as a nurse fresh out of nursing school, I was working at a retirement center that had a nursing facility in it. Right around 11pm, I received a call from one of the residents that another needed assistance. I was only told someone had fallen outside. It was the end of my shift, but I stayed to go check this resident while the oncoming nurse tended to beginning of her shift duties. The man hadn't fallen at all. He had committed suicide with a long gun to the head. He had no face, and there was plenty of blood everywhere. It still gives me shivers thinking about it, and I had nightmares for years after that. It is NOT something a typical nurse is use to encountering, and something that I don't see how anyone could become immune to. It's just devastating.

Even medical examiners have commented on hard doing an autopsy on children is. After all we are all humans. People do have different coping skills during a tragedy, and some are able to 'get the job done' and decompress later. But as a human, some things are going to affect you.

:moo:

I have the upmost respect for anyone in the medical field. What they have to see must be horrible to deal with afterwards.... after all they are all human beings with feelings just like anyone else.

I thought I had become somewhat desensitized when it came to looking at autopsy/crime scene photos since I have been interested in true crime for over three decades.

The worst mistake I ever made was looking at crime scene photos of a man who had shot himself in the head with a .12 gauge shotgun. It is unbelievable what that kind of weapon can do to the human head when fired at close range. I make sure now if that is how the person killed themselves or were murdered to never look at the photos.

So I can understand how it continues to affect you. Just looking at those photos continues to haunt me and I wish I had never looked to begin with. I have seen decapitation photos that didn't bother me nearly as much.

IMO

I use to babysit years ago in Reynolds and the homeowners ALWAYS had to call the gate and give my name. They have 2 lanes. One for homeowners with stickers and the other that comes right up to the guard house. Surely, with the Ritz there now and all the celebrities that frequent it, they don't just wave regular joes on through?? I hope not.

I just watched this video again showing the entrance. I do not see two lanes entering, only one going in and one lane going out. Not doubting you, maybe it was different back then.

Also at 2:52 mark shows a grandson twitter. So sad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWlE_l97yk

Thank you.

I am the same way. I do not judge any family member that is going through their own hell in situations like this for the individual decisions they make.

Sills has already said he thinks this has nothing to do with family involvement and even said he doesn't think it has anything to do with the son who was murdered 14 years ago. I agree with SS.

I am glad that he does not have tunnel vision in that respect.

As you know in many other cases valuable time was wasted because LE spent so much wasted time concentrating on innocent family members and the real killer was getting away. So much time was wasted and the life of the victim could have been saved.

The way the abduction and murder was carried out doesn't fit the profile of family involvement and I think Sills knows that all too well. I think the FBI profilers have already told him this is not about family involvement.

I don't think it is someone that is getting back at any of the children either. If that were the case they would have targeted them personally or their children.

IMO

I have the upmost respect for anyone in the medical field. What they have to see must be horrible to deal with afterwards.... after all they are all human beings with feelings just like anyone else.

I thought I had become somewhat desensitized when it came to looking at autopsy/crime scene photos since I have been interested in true crime for over three decades.

The worst mistake I ever made was looking at crime scene photos of a man who had shot himself in the head with a .12 gauge shotgun. It is unbelievable what that kind of weapon can do to the human head when fired at close range. I make sure now if that is how the person killed themselves or were murdered to never look at the photos.

So I can understand how it continues to affect you. Just looking at those photos continues to haunt me and I wish I had never looked to begin with. I have seen decapitation photos that didn't bother me nearly as much.

IMO

I remember, and will never forget seeing crime scene photos of Colin Ferguson photos. Horrific.

It is amazing to me that the wooded areas nearby and all of the rentals and vacant homes have not been searched after over a week. There are many reputable SARs available to assist investigators with the searches at no charge.

We always hope and pray that the victim is found safely, yet after this amount of time has passed we have to face reality, or hope for a miracle..

Catching up, I noticed many comments about the family hastily returning to FL. We discussed this a few pages back. We never judge the families of the missing/murdered victims. No two will ever react the same...imo

I agree.

And they were there for an entire week. Their parents home is still considered a contained crime scene and hasn't been released back to the family.

What could they do if they did stay? Nothing.

If they stood outside of their parents home all it would do is be a constant reminder that all the happy memories there have been replaced with horrible ones.

I think they are a strong family and know they have to accept that the likelihood of seeing their mother alive again is zero and they also know they may never get her body returned either.

Sometimes in life, no matter how hard it is, strong people accept what they know they cannot change.

I have no doubt they all are in constant contact with LE and if their presence is needed they will be there as fast as they were when they were first notified.

IMO

I just watched this video again showing the entrance. I do not see two lanes entering, only one going in and one lane going out. Not doubting you, maybe it was different back then.

Also at 2:52 mark shows a grandson twitter. So sad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWlE_l97yk

Do you know if they could have a back entrance where big trucks are allowed in rather than coming in through the front entrance?

Some of the gated communities around where I live don't want the big trucks coming in through the front entrance and the maintenance and construction crews have to come through another entrance to gain entry.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members