GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had wondered about some.long standing HOA feud, but IMO people would know about it and I just can't see anyone taking it to those extremes over some HOA issues.
I have read at the blog for the neighborhood. Seems they argue a good bit, but no more than normal for that type of place IMO

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Do you have a link for the neighborhood blog? TIA

Respectfully snipped by me

Imo, this horrific crime wasn't impulsive, but was very well planned and executed. I agree that the crime was likely meant to send a message, but not sure it was intended for the family. The message was sent to the entire community, imo.
RE: #3
LayzeeDayzee, if you ask the family members, friends, and loved ones of the missing/murdered victims; "What is the worst"? Virtually all will say; "By far, it is the not knowing"..

Your comment resonates with me and this article I read previously:

Candles were lit and prayers were said for the Dermond family as a community came together searching for answers and some living in fear.

Dermond family friend --- ------ said he drove to the vigil with the couple’s next door neighbor.

"She's got to get over it, she's just got to get over it security around her home. It’s tough, it’s tough,” ------ said.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/s...-beheaded-husband/b6bGHGOriUKIbnG8uuLFHQ.cspx

For people trying to sell their homes and leave the community, this crime is certainly not making it any easier. It sort of reminds me of the book "Stepford Wives". :scared:

Curiouser and curiouser I say...

"Many big names were said to have stalked the property, including a group that counted Mercer Reynolds as a partner. Bolnick declined to identify other bidders for the properties.

But he said Reynolds Plantation garnered interest “from some of the strongest people in real estate and the golf business that I know.”

I'm not sure if this plays into the case or not either. However, no matter how you look at it, stalking is not a positive word :moo:. Ugh! Makes me think of OJ who loved to golf and how he stalked Nicole and Ron. Then his book "If I Did It" The situation makes me realize that from the outside this might have seemed the perfect place to live, in reality it was far from ideal. :scared:

I wonder, who are the oldest residents in Reynold Plantation? Would someone kill the old couple to sabotage another investment company? Or deal?
You know property values just took a huge hit! Over a week after a brutal murder and zero clues???

I guess anything is possible at this point.

I still think it's someone who feels opressed because of dealings with Mr.Dermond. This person can't stand the fact that he achieved all the wealth and success while this person was left to fail.
He directly blames Mr. Dermond and took from him what money can't buy. His dignity and his wife.
I do think this person is mentally ill and is on meth or something similar.
I also believe that Mrs. Dermond was alive and abused by this animal for a period of time before he killed her.
I also believe he had the help of a similarly disturbed woman to gain Mrs. Dermond's trust.

Moo

This supposedly quiet town has had two suspicious deaths within days of each other, 15 miles apart connected by water way.

Let me go way out on a limb here and suggest that the Dermond perpetrator was someone well known to the community and that he had been responsible for the death of Vicki Stephens. Perhaps the Dermonds confronted the perp about Vicki Stephens having some knowledge of the perps motive or actions?

"The body of a south Putnam County woman found in Lake Sinclair Thursday evening was discovered by family members, Detective Terrell Abernathy of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

Vicki Stephens, 50, was found "not far from the dock of her residence" at 109 Flat Rock Circle at about 8 p.m., according to the PCSO reports. Authorities were called at about 7:41 p.m.

"While we were on our way there, the family found her off the dock in about 7 feet of water," Abernathy said Friday afternoon. He said one of Stephens' friends reported she had spoken with her at about lunchtime Thursday.

Stephens had worked as a real estate agent in the area for several years.

A neighbor called the sheriff’s office and said Stephens had not been seen since Thursday morning. Her personal belongings were found on the dock, according to the report of the call.

Abernathy said an autopsy of the body was scheduled Friday, and he had not received a report."

http://www.msgr.com/news/article_1082bb3c-d79a-11e3-9aab-0019bb2963f4.html

Yep, just when you thought it couldn't get any more mysterious, huh? One of the articles said that it was 15 miles between VS';s residence and the Dermond's home. The Putnam County Sheriff dispatched the two detectives working the Dermond case to the scene of VS's drowning.. Google Map indicates only a 7 minute drive & approximately the same distance by water. The proximity of the two incidents and VS being a long time real estate agent of the area, 'Sure makes you want to go hmmm'....imo

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fla...39dcc1ce49dec6bf!2m2!1d-83.241519!2d33.455326

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/313012

GOLF Magazine acknowledged the resort community's picturesque location, gracious Southern stylings, updated accommodations and recent series of golf course renovations to The Landing (Bob Cupp), Oconee (Rees Jones) and National (Tom Fazio). Great Waters (Jack Nicklaus), renovated in 2012, Plantation (Cupp) and the Creek Club (private, Jim Engh), round out the collection

You know that renovating 6 golf courses had to be a monumental task and probably whatever money they had dwindled quickly.

Now the residents safety is at risk from lake access....
A good reason to raise fees yet again. What are they willing to pay to insure their safety?
Time to make the lake private?
What good would it do if the perp is an insider?
Moo

Is it possible Mr dermond starts his walks while still dark? Is it possible he came upon something or someone on the course or in a secluded area who quickly bludgeoned him, perhaps with a golf club or shovel?

If it was a RP employee or resident, perhaps they decided to put him back at home so whatever they were doing originally wouldn't be discovered in the crime scene?

My guess is both the weapon and the original location offer enough evidence to figure out who the killer is.

This is what I leaning toward too. He was bludgeoned with a shovel or a golf club or some sort of large hammer. I think it happened very close to the garage. The house was secluded. I think the driveway and garage entry location was secluded enough the perp/perps felt comfortable hitting Mr. Dermond as soon as he turned his back on this person/persons, and if Mr. Dermond did turn his back on the perp/perps he felt comfortable enough to turn his back and did not feel an immediate sense of danger from said perp. Sills noted he felt the body was only moved "only a few feet." :scared:

Guess, Reynolds Plantation owners can forget about their investments being a quick flip now, huh? Especially if this horrific crime is not quickly solved by investigators. The dark cloud of evil residue left in the wake of the unspeakable events of a week ago will linger much longer in the present and future resident's minds..
Ironically, the 5,000 acre development; Reynolds Plantation, was previously known as 'Linger Longer', a Hunting & Fishing Retreat..

ABOUT REYNOLDS PLANTATION
https://www.reynoldsplantation.com/live-here/real-estate-overview

Nearly 100 years ago, the land now known as Reynolds Plantation was established as a family hunting and fishing retreat.

Affectionately known as “Linger Longer,” visitors to this special place knew they could always count on it to restore their spirit. Decades later, the decision was made to share this land with others seeking such a rejuvenating oasis.

And today, with its six challenging golf courses, restaurants, swimming pools, pedestrian trails, marinas, tennis center and more -- all framed by the sparkling waters of Lake Oconee --

Reynolds Plantation provides residents and guests a unique lifestyle that few other locations can offer. Reynolds Plantation is also home to The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, a 251-room lakefront resort and spa, which earned 2013 AAA Five Diamond Hotel and 2013 Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star awards.

proximity-map.png

Linger longer. It's kind of like once you get in, you should stay here until you kick the bucket. I don't know. Hmmmmm.... I mean what about a couple who moves there and then the husband passes away. What's a widow to do? I would not want to live there without my beloved, especially if I were in my twilight years. Perhaps, someone rescued. . . never mind. :jail:

You know that renovating 6 golf courses had to be a monumental task and probably whatever money they had dwindled quickly.

Now the residents safety is at risk from lake access....
A good reason to raise fees yet again. What are they willing to pay to insure their safety?
Time to make the lake private?
What good would it do if the perp is an insider?
Moo

I don't think there is any way to make the lake private. Property bordering the lake is owned by too many individuals and developers other than Reynolds or MetLife.

proximity-map.png

Linger longer. It's kind of like once you get in, you should stay here until you kick the bucket. I don't know. Hmmmmm.... I mean what about a couple who moves there and then the husband passes away. What's a widow to do? I would not want to live there without my beloved, especially if I were in my twilight years. Perhaps, someone rescued. . . never mind. :jail:

"You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave."

I don't know why, but "Linger Longer" is just creepy to me.
I get it. It doesn't appeal to me. Like someone said a little too
" Stepford Wives " for me.

Linger Longer sounds like a losing race horse.
Moo

BBM

It is impossible to get into the mind of the real killer to even begin to know why they did this the way they did it. Only they know in their evil depraved mind why these crimes were carried out the way they were.

But just guessing, I don't think this has anything to do with any family member or revenge of any kind. Imo the Dermonds were 'targeted' because they both were easy prey.

I remember when another elderly couple in their 80s were kidnapped from their home. It was a big story here on WS at the time. Posters were convinced it was some kind of personal vendetta to get back at the children or grandchildren of the elderly couple or even something the elderly couple had done themselves.

In truth it had nothing to do with any family member or even revenge against the elderly couple themselves. The murderer turned out to be someone who had done odd jobs for them and they had even rented him the house he lived in. His intentions to kidnap and murder them was to steal their car and iirc he was a drug addict. I guess he thought if he took them along with their vehicle people would think they had left on their own free will. Thank goodness, that was not believed. I don't think they ever found the elderly woman's body but did find her husband's.

So this is mentioned often as the motive. That it had to be a personal revenge of some kind. It was mentioned also in the Husted double murder case and others. Although in the end it wasn't revenge at all but just evil rearing its head against those who were unsuspecting of their impending doom.

The decapitation of the head has been done before by other sociopaths. I think they left it behind because each sociopath carries out the crime depending on their own depraved individual thoughts. Often times they will place their victims in certain demeaning positions, intact, or dismembered/decapitated for the shock value for when they are found.

IMO

Not disagreeing with you but what were they 'targeted' for? Nothing was taken. Do you think it was just a thrill kill? ty

ERROR! WRONG LAKE OCONEE!
My bad.

http://www.lake-oconee.com/faq.asp[/ur] Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I have been a longtime observer and haven't posted in quite awhile but this case hits home. I have family that live in this area and would like to add my personal observations/perspectives.
Reynolds Plantation is a prestigious, high dollar community with around 80% of its residents at or above retirement age. The community "feel" and opinion that I'm hearing is that this was a well calculated, well executed murder. No blood, no fingerprints and most likely was carried out via boat. Mrs. Dermond was last seen on Thursday evening. She played bridge and had a regular partner she rode to and from bridge club with. Speculation was that someone knew this was a weekly event and that Mr. Dermond would be at home, alone.
I'm not sure msm has let this out yet, but the lake immediately fronting the home was dredged over the weekend. The Dermonds lived on a part of Lake Oconee which is close to open water and being a man-made lake, it's deep waters are filled with tree stumps and debris. If she was placed in the lake, it would be nearly impossible that she would ever be found.

Gngr~snap

Lake Oconee used to be just raw land with cabins locals owned. The Reynolds family owned property there and Mercer Reynolds decided to develop the property in to a exclusive golf community. They did not own all the property surrounding Lake Oconee. There is property in Putnam county (Eatonton) and in Greene county (Greensboro). Once Reynolds started developing others developers bought up land and developed more gated communities. Great Waters was one of the Reynolds developments.

PS I should have quoted Gngr~snap's post about "wrong Lake Oconee." That is what I am responding to. She had the correct Lake Oconee.

Yep, just when you thought it couldn't get any more mysterious, huh? One of the articles said that it was 15 miles between VS';s residence and the Dermond's home. The Putnam County Sheriff dispatched the two detectives working the Dermond case to the scene of VS's drowning.. Google Map indicates only a 7 minute drive & approximately the same distance by water. The proximity of the two incidents and VS being a long time real estate agent of the area, 'Sure makes you want to go hmmm'....imo

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fla...39dcc1ce49dec6bf!2m2!1d-83.241519!2d33.455326
VS was found at her dock on Lake Sinclair. Lake Oconee and Lake Sinclair are separated by a dam and the two are not passable by water.

Hmmmmmm... indeed. I just spewed water after reading this and I was NOT laughing. Pardon if my posts seem a bit dark. I watched Johnny Depp (be still my heart :heartbeat:) in Sleepy Hollow yesterday. In one of the first scenes in the movie it is set in a prison or jail of some type and officers bring in a body in a wheelbarrow. The judge or person in charges asks where he was found. In the water or something to that sort was the answer and the body is immediately dispensed to be buried or disposed of. Johnny who plays the police officer, Ichabod Crane, immediately protests and says an autopsy needs to be performed to determine if indeed the man drowned and had water in his lungs or if foul play was to be suspected. He is quickly dismissed and is told if the body is found in the water then the person drowned period end.of.story. Ichabod Crane is then deployed to Sleepy Hollow which has been plagued by violent slayings in which victims are beheaded. Yep, this lady's mysterious death probably not related at all. :facepalm: No sarcasm intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth