GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the crime scene was contaminated from the very beginning . Someone dropped the ball in this investigation very early on or they knew who the killer was right from the beginning and knew it would be hard to prove. I find myself often wondering about many things SS has said and done and the 1 thing that I most think about is why call a cold case team after only 6 months and it just so happened the cold case team was located in the same city where one of the kids lives. This and the fact that SS mentioned the female family member who wasn't truthful with him and broke down raises a serious flag

I was hunting for a thread in the cold case forum and saw the Dermonds thread listed there. I was kind of surprised to see it there as SS insists it is not a cold case. Since it is on my Favorites list, I did not know it had been moved. How does WS determine when a case becomes cold? Is it a date thing?

Most consider it a cold case after 12 months not sure if this is the rule

Was there any of our suspects that had military training ?

As far as I know there have been no public persons of interest.

This case defies all standard assumptions.......so far. The "usual suspects", those closest to the victims, have not materialized.........so far.The usual motive, money, has not materialized......so far. I have a problem with family involvement but obviously it cannot be ruled out. Extortion? Not on that fateful Saturday in May. That chosen date had only one objective: murder. Extortion is interesting primarily because it has been mentioned by SS as a possible motive, but what was so coveted that two 88 year olds were brutally murdered for (apparently) not complying? If not money then what? Nothing that we know of was taken from the house, nor has any highly valued piece of art or jewelry or gold been identified. So if we subscribe to the extortion theory, it would follow the killers made prior contact with the Dermonds. The mystery is just what did the Dermonds do in response and why did they not tell anyone?

This case defies all standard assumptions.......so far. The "usual suspects", those closest to the victims, have not materialized.........so far.The usual motive, money, has not materialized......so far. I have a problem with family involvement but obviously it cannot be ruled out. Extortion? Not on that fateful Saturday in May. That chosen date had only one objective: murder. Extortion is interesting primarily because it has been mentioned by SS as a possible motive, but what was so coveted that two 88 year olds were brutally murdered for (apparently) not complying? If not money then what? Nothing that we know of was taken from the house, nor has any highly valued piece of art or jewelry or gold been identified. So if we subscribe to the extortion theory, it would follow the killers made prior contact with the Dermonds. The mystery is just what did the Dermonds do in response and why did they not tell anyone?
I don't believe "they" were ever trying to extort the elder Dermond's.

I do believe it was to send a message
(to the remaining family) that this is what happens when you don't pay your bills or come up with the money owed them.

The elder Dermond's were expendable.
They had lived good long lives. If someone wanted to send a message, and a medium strong one, taking out the Dermonds was not a big thing. Taking Mr. D's head however, gave the message just enough bite to frighten someone. Because "their" next message, if it came to that, (and I don't believe it did) was going to be someone's child. (Which would have been riskier and more messy.)

The above is my own speculation. However, it is the only thing that makes more than a bit of sense to me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I can't make sense of what makes sense to me. Nothing seems to fit. The extortion angle while plausible lacks the paper trail that money invariably leaves behind. If I recall correctly, SS and his team have vetted all surviving family members and spouses, narrowing in on bank account activity, looking precisely for that unusual debit/credit. Nada. Recall that distribution to family beneficiaries of Trust proceeds would have taken several months up to a year so there is another blind alley. Ugh.

I can't make sense of what makes sense to me. Nothing seems to fit. The extortion angle while plausible lacks the paper trail that money invariably leaves behind. If I recall correctly, SS and his team have vetted all surviving family members and spouses, narrowing in on bank account activity, looking precisely for that unusual debit/credit. Nada. Recall that distribution to family beneficiaries of Trust proceeds would have taken several months up to a year so there is another blind alley. Ugh.
My point is: this was NOT an extortion.

Certain businesses lend themselves quite well to money laundering.

Should something have happened with a business laundering money that prevented the money to flow where it needed to flow, then corrective measures need to be taken so it doesn't happen again. Because next time, the corrective measure may be a son, daughter, wife or husband.

Because they did not feel threatened at first........but I dont think it was extortion, most banks close at noon and many arent open....but who knows....They surely didnt get to the bank if that was the goal....why sautrday might not be a good day, too rushed, anything could go wrong........................I THINK, something went RIGHT, right for the killers, they came to KILL..................PERIOD.......someone could have even had a key or the Dermonds opened the door and invited them in.............taken by surprise IMO
....................The mystery is just what did the Dermonds do in response and why did they not tell anyone?

Me too, family or this......but.....the family was scared, scared they'd get caught or scared they'd be next.............
I don't believe "they" were ever trying to extort the elder Dermond's.

I do believe it was to send a message
(to the remaining family) that this is what happens when you don't pay your bills or come up with the money owed them.

The elder Dermond's were expendable.
They had lived good long lives. If someone wanted to send a message, and a medium strong one, taking out the Dermonds was not a big thing. Taking Mr. D's head however, gave the message just enough bite to frighten someone. Because "their" next message, if it came to that, (and I don't believe it did) was going to be someone's child. (Which would have been riskier and more messy.)

The above is my own speculation. However, it is the only thing that makes more than a bit of sense to me.

Took a year or so to pay off that lein............

And because there is no trail doesnt' mean someone didnt inherit it........perfect setup, people do this all the time to get their parents or spouses money....make it look like a hit, how confusing is it that the head was taken.............VERY....so no one can make sense of it...

But maybe the money HAS materialized thru inheritance, maybe someone was denied early inheritance as Hockeyguy suggested.........Extorted for............money=inheritance...........just because YOU wouldnt do that to your parents, doesnt mean someone else wouldnt or hasn't.............problem with conscience, you can't fathom it ..............as far as SS mentioning extortion as a motive, I think he probalby said MIGHT BE A POSSIBLE motive........however.........he also said they knew their perpetrator at least acquainted with them....why there was no struggle or home disaster ........who would they know? Who could have given a key to the real perps ?
The usual motive, money, has not materialized...... Extortion is interesting primarily because it has been mentioned by SS as a possible motive, but what was so coveted that two 88 year olds were brutally murdered for (apparently) not complying?

somewhere Past the Dermonds boatlift and the cove at vacant lot on dead end street.............the perps walked her down blindfolded and gagged in the dark saturday night, hit her hard and pushed her into the awaiting fishing boat in or near the cove...........so dark, no one would see a thing, a flashlight near the water would appear someone is fishing, baiting, or whatever....ive seen this as have many, never thought anything of it other than fishermen

I'll say this. If my parents were killed I wouldn't be silent about it and i'd be asking for outside help if after a year and no suspects. Bye not saying anything in over 3 years it seems they have made peace with the killings or they are staying silent to protect someone. Here's a question I have been wondering about and always forget to ask. I assume the district attorney in this area has investigators working for his office has the district attorney made any statements since this murder happened? Has the district attorney assigned anyone from his office to help with the investigation? Dancinunderthemoon you might hav the answers i'm seeking. Finally once again I can type freely on this site and it feels great. Also has there been any updates the last few months that I have missed?

Makes it all make sense when you put it that way Hockeyguy, tells us exactly what is happening..........and..........is the DA even involved? Seems like from any news we ever get and morsels of info, a teaser show....... SS is the only one that is allowed to do or speak on this case.......what the what.........and i dont recall the DA saying or doing anything...........something I'll dig around for.......and no nothing going on here......as usual.......

You know, we, on here, Im assuming, aren't murderers and dont really "GET" what someone that is can and will do.......the reason for most of the confusion because it's hard to fathom evil ........do you know people that are uncouth, maybe a family member that you just can't believe that if it isn't their way or about them, they could care less about anyone and throw you under the bus at any given moment? No loyalty...............YEAH THAT..........TAKE IT A FEW STEPS FURTHER.........recipe for murder

....glad you are back on, hope your computer holds up..........

A devastated son whose father was beheaded and his mother abducted a week ago today said he now hopes she is dead to ‘ease her suffering’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgia-murder-mystery-horror.html#ixzz4xIyEu3Fa

I understand the suffering part but would you REALLLY wish your mom was dead? I would be saying, I hope she's not dead, I hope we find her, even knowing we may not........i dont think id ever say i hope she's dead..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb