GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for answers about attribution of the quotes.

Yes, I know about DM's tabloid reputation.

On receiving any bad news about loss/possible loss of family members,
I'd say nothing but if I did, I'd be blubbering so badly, nothing would be intelligible.

Maybe the son's statement was not reported verbatim, or maybe he was not thinking about how that came out. Or both.

I finally caught up! I still think the perp. is a part-time resident of GW or somewhere else very near on the lakeside. I do think he came by boat. I really thought he had killed Mr. D somewhere on the property, in the garage or close by, but if he did kill him elsewhere, then I guess he brought him to the home for the shock value or possibly to keep as much focus centered on the home as possible during the early stage of the investigation. I think it's likely that this person lives on the lake somewhere.

Seems somebody up thread mentioned gators and had a picture. Not sure just where but a couple days back.

Tell me the name of the lake and I'll google it and see what I can find.

Hi Honeybun- Thank you so much. It's Lake Oconee. I did look it up and most of the gators are south of the fall line. I have no clue how to put the info addtess into my reply, however.I use my android phone for almost everything. Are there directions on this site how to do that?

Several people mentioned HLN covering this case earlier today. Not sure if this is all of it but there is a 6-7 min clip on their website.

Very good in as it shows them on the lake and the view of the house from the water both in the day and after dark. They said it was only a 5 min ride from where they put into the water to the Dermond's house.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/05/...hirley-russell-dermond?clusterId=#videoplayer

Al66pine, good questions... Here's my thoughts: the Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper and has a pretty sleazy reputation in Great Britain - they tend to sensationalize things and people read it more for "entertainment" value than real news (just google the Daily Mail) - that's one of the reasons I was so surprised that anyone in the family would grant them an interview - but maybe he didn't know that about this paper. And if they were asked by LE to avoid the media, maybe he thought it would be okay to talk to an overseas newspaper? They do also pay money for their stories...

This is JMO from having lived and worked in England for 6 years many moons ago.

I actually wondered if the FBI or Sills asked the family to go ahead and talk to one specific news outlet. Depending on who they think they're dealing with, they may be trying to draw the killer to make a move. I know the profile I looked at (the power/control killer) had BTK as the example. He contacted the police and news agencies for years. It's possible this is their only move because they've exhausted all the other avenues.

I also wondered about the selection of news outlet being overseas. If you've noticed the past few days, as LE speaks, a few major outlets publish the story and several smaller agencies publish it verbatim, like it came off the AP wire. Is it possible in Europe copyright laws are different and so other agencies can't piggyback stories off of one major source? I haven't seen one American news outlet use that article. It may be the only way they can ensure a clear path of communication if the killer chooses to contact the paper.

The only thing that makes me think *maybe* the family went off script when they gave that interview was that comment Sills made earlier about how the children weren't considered suspects, at least not at this point or something similar to that. It made me chuckle thinking that was his way of telling them to shut their traps! lol

Hi Honeybun- Thank you so much. It's Lake Oconee. I did look it up and most of the gators are south of the fall line. I have no clue how to put the info addtess into my reply, however.I use my android phone for almost everything. Are there directions on this site how to do that?

Also known as the gnat line. Lol.

I can't help with directions but can post a link to verify your research.
http://georgiawildlife.com/node/270

:croc: Are we thinking that gators could be around to eat someone? That certainly wouldn't be good with the Memorial Day weekend coming up in a few weeks. Wonder if the Dermonds attended any family reunions or get togethers for Memorial Day in the past as a yearly family event? Perhaps the children visited for Memorial Day? I bet the resort is expecting business to be booming in a few weeks. It would be nice if Mrs. Dermond could be found before Memorial Day. It would be awful to find remains of either in the lake or on the golf course during such a happy time for family reunions, vacations, etc. Certainly wouldn't be good for business for the resort or RP rentals. People's memories are short though and in a few weeks this might be a distant memory for some in the area and for outsiders. . . well they might not be aware at all. :croc:

A plan to steal something of “great value” in the house – something worth millions of dollars – “but normally, you don’t cut off somebody’s head, if that’s the case.”

Does that mean the Dermonds own something worth millions of dollars??

One of the children said their parents weren't wealthy (I guess that that's a relative term).
I would then infer whatever the item is, it was not recently acquired; maybe something they inherited that has grown in value recently.

Art, jewelry, a historical document? It's hard to say but whatever it is, it must be portable. My biggest question is, is the item gone

Another thought that's been nothing me...if LE thinks they might have been abducted elsewhere and Russell brought back, wouldn't that seem highly unlikely if he was dressed in pajama pAnts and a robe??

could it be he was simply draggeed back into the garage from outside, I CANNOT see them coming BACK to the scene of the crime, already risky enough to be there in the first place

also, interesting A plan to steal something of “great value”

watched clemente video posted here earlier, he stated that in murder cases, what the perp(s) are after could be of monetary OR physical value

:croc: Are we thinking that gators could be around to eat someone? That certainly wouldn't be good with the Memorial Day weekend coming up in a few weeks. Wonder if the Dermonds attended any family reunions or get togethers for Memorial Day in the past as a yearly family event? Perhaps the children visited for Memorial Day? I bet the resort is expecting business to be booming in a few weeks. It would be nice if Mrs. Dermond could be found before Memorial Day. It would be awful to find remains of either in the lake or on the golf course during such a happy time for family reunions, vacations, etc. Certainly wouldn't be good for business for the resort or RP rentals. People's memories are short though and in a few weeks this might be a distant memory for some in the area and for outsiders. . . well they might not be aware at all. :croc:

A gator in that lake would be news, IMO.
I bet you're right about outsiders coming in for the holiday and not being aware. I so hope it will be resolved before then.

Seems somebody up thread mentioned gators and had a picture. Not sure just where but a couple days back.

Tell me the name of the lake and I'll google it and see what I can find.

Not typical in oconee or sinclair, mostly the wild rivers, like ocmulgee, flint etc

maybe the dams keep them out, I'm sure they can and have been found in some cases in these lakes

I learned recently that gators are further up in GA than people realize, according to my sister who lives in Houston County, GA. Pretty creepy. I am not sure what this has to do with this case, though. :)

A few thoughts.

First of all, someone posted about taking the head and Mrs. Shirley as collateral. That makes some sense to me. Why, though? The motive presented by that poster (sorry, I can't give you credit since it is buried in the multitude of responses on the two threads this case has generated on this site) is to obtain a significant amount of money, or object worth a significant amount of money. With all the time gone by, even if that was the objective, it may have wound up an unworkable premise by the perp(s).

Second of all, it does not appear there is any official acknowledgement that this was a anger-sex based attack by a very disturbed individual. I know there were other elderly people attacks in a neighboring state, where the arrested POI does have ties to GA within the same timeframe. I still think this is an angle that should be pursued.

Thirdly, with one the sons saying he hopes his mom is dead so she doesn't have to be cooped up with any type of madman(men), I am worried.

Anyway, I appreciate all you caring sleuthers out there. I usually only visit this site when it covers a story near me, so that is why I am here. The Internet makes all kinds of information available that never was before. Can you believe you can easily access a Brittish tabloid to read information about this case? (That is for the old timers, of course!) Because you are interested and care, I think your work really does help with the mountain of information LE has to go through to solve a crime. I think web sleuthers helped with the BTK case too, when this type of investigation was young, so keep going.

Also known as the gnat line. Lol.

I can't help with directions but can post a link to verify your research.
http://georgiawildlife.com/node/270

Nice article, but I take exception where it says larger gators may eat pets and smaller domestics animals like goats and pigs. If you watch Swamp People you know that gators will eat pets and goats and pigs, but the big ones will also eat deer and cows. One of my favorite movies of all time is Lake Placid with :heart: Betty White :heart: feeding that huge crocodile and blindfolding the cow so she wouldn't see it coming.

I know I'm not a member of the same club as the Dermond children and haven't walked in their shoes for which I am grateful. It seems they're just giving up too soon. Parents with missing children always seem to carry hope their child will be found alive until otherwise. Guess I just feel like I would be looking for my missing mama just like a missing child. This is so sad for the family. I don't how they are coping. One day at a time I suppose.

A gator in that lake would be news, IMO.
I bet you're right about outsiders coming in for the holiday and not being aware. I so hope it will be resolved before then.

A gator was my first though as well. Hard to picture the scenario playing out with two victims, but maybe RD gets cornered by a large gator, has a heart attack, SD hears commotion, gator already has RD's head, and SD trying to fight gator becomes dessert. SD is dragged to the lake and taken away.

But then it could be Ninja's, we have one right here in Oviedo FL.

Do you think this fear could be based on them thinking they know who did this. Or collectively have some good theories of the what, why and where. ty
I'm just speculating really, but because nothing seems to add up in the reporting, look how confused everyone is

Of course it could be just hush hush for now while the DO investigate it further

Clearly they can't SAY who they think it is until they have a reason to charge or name someone a suspect I suppose

This case is really bothering me. I can't stop thinking about it.
There isn't a motive that I can think of that makes any sense at all.
I keep checking in, hoping that there will be some news about
Mrs. D. I wish they would bring in a large scale search team.

The house looked to be fairly close to the water and not a treacherous walk at all.

I hate to even type this, but.....easily done with a weapon or if she was incapacitated, two could carry her with no trouble.

The only thing I am questioning is the lighting conditions if this happened after dark. Wonder what the moon was like on 5/2?

Tuesday night this week 5/13 was full if you can work back, not sure the monthly moon cycles monthly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro