GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also to RAZZ who originally asked the question.

First to Hickory Born.

You are correct that though most of us would consider this a 2 story house, it is one with a [mostly] finished basement. Very, very common for the lake fronting properties. As I mentioned earlier, I installed home theaters there and most were in the "basement". You would walk into a beautiful house and then descend stairs to larger space that would could be anything, but usually a very large main room where there could be pool tables, juke boxes etc. (remember..these people are well off). They would have huge sliding glass doors/floor-to-ceiling windows so you got a good view of the lake. (all that daylight streaming in would wash out my TV, but you do what you gotta do)

Usually, there was still enough room left over to have an extra bedroom, and/or office etc. The 'unfinished' part was just what was necessary to reach furnaces, shut-off valves etc.

As to the golf course, I knew that back in 2010 (my last time there) it was private only, but since that time, Met Life had bought the properties.

A Google search brought me this: http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/georgia/eatonton/reynolds-plantation-great-waters-course.html

Here is the relevant part (though I know it won't hold the table format, you should be able to read it:So RAZZ, while I like your thinking (about staying at the Ritz and gaining access to Great Waters by playing golf etc.) you can see just how expensive that would be. Plus you would have to play the part of cultured individuals.

Very professional.

However...if you are THAT professional, it would be far easier to dress as fishermen and float right up to their backdoor.

I hear you. But don't you sometimes need to spend a little money to get back a lot of money.

And I have witnessed many well heeled, cultured men act like total buffoons out on the golf course. (Especially on club courses.)

But the Lake angle: let's say the person or persons took the head and Mrs. D, via boat. How are he/they going to explain their cargo once they get back to the rental place? Or, if they did dispose of the body or head in the water along the way, shouldn't it be fairly clear where they need to be looking. And if the.body and or the head was thrown into the woods along the way...wouldn't that body be stinking by now?

And the sexual predator angle? That scares me most of all as none of us are safe.

I do not know, but perhaps people are shocked that the family did not stay for the vigil, and the family went home, and Shirley is not found yet, but their photo is on the internet. I think some people thought that perhaps they were afraid to attend the vigil for fear of being recognized, but yet there is a photo on the link with some family members, so I think it isn't congruent with the thought process that they were afraid to attend the vigil, perhaps.
IMOO.

My thought process had nothing to do with them not attending the vigil and/or returning home so quickly. In fact, I think it was wise to do so.

There are just too many unknowns at this point. I was more concerned about their safety.

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

:tyou:

reminder ^^^^^^

Not big news or anything but, did anyone catch the middle name of the man found guilty of killing the Dermond's oldest son?

Shirley.

Ironic to say the least.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Just thinking outside the box. I once had friends who lived on a lake, and they would visit back & forth by boat quite often. Since Sills is saying they don't believe he was killed in the garage, do you suppose maybe they could've gone by boat to a friend's house, Mr. D was killed & taken back to the house & they kept Mrs. D? For sure, that wouldn't be a friend, but maybe someone who had recently bought a house, moved to the lake & befriended the Dermonds, all along having a nefarious plot in their mind? Or even someone renting a house there?

I think they should search ALL the houses on that lake that have recently been rented out, especially any that have been empty since the day they believe he was killed.

Does anyone else think its curious that the family seems to have given an interview with the DailyMail (a Tabloid newspaper in England), but have said almost nothing to the media here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-1m-home-Georgia-murder-mystery-horror.html

Yes and Yes. My thought exactly.

Maybe because of this real-estate business [see link below], the son felt he was not in a position to decline an interview with an overseas news outlet :dunno:

(A profile of one of the sons on Sotheby’s International Realty website) http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/associate/180-a-544-4018696/bradley-dermond
Click on the business name, upper right to see the property listings for that office.

In interviews in the past few days (no link) Sheriff's statements have given the impression that LE has no solid leads.

If LE does have some solid leads linking to say, a family member or someone living or working in the POA organization,
IMO, seems logical that Sheriff may not be ready to spill the beans publicly about the suspects' ID or even to say
---We think it's one of the children or
----We think it's one of the neighbors or
---- We think it's POA security or a golf course employee.

Isn't it common for LE to continue collecting evd, getting lab results, etc and allowing suspect to feel that LE is clueless.
Maybe LE continues interviewing suspect about odds & ends (BTW, sir, what about X, says Colombo standing at door ready to leave) but never actually making suspect think he/she/they are targets?

Despite TV and movies depictions of LE loudly accusing suspects on some crimes, it seems IMO, that heavy handed approach may not get results in a case like this.

Are Mr & Mrs D's children and g'children likely to pack up and disappear like lowlife drifter- criminals?
What about residents in neighborhood?
OTOH, if LE had ID'ed a new-to-the-area vagrant, living and sleeping in his pick up, well..... that may call for a different approach.

Pure speculation on my part w no basis in fact as to likely suspects.
Just trying to get into the Sheriff's head about his more recent statements.
FBI may be providing guidance to him re statement content and tone. IDK.

Do you think this fear could be based on them thinking they know who did this. Or collectively have some good theories of the what, why and where. ty

mck16, imo, they do not know who did this. But due to the info known from the crime scene combined with the psychological behavioral profile prepared by the FBI BAU2, Quantico, VA. Sheriff Sills, knows the type and traits of the deranged and dangerous creature that they are looking for, and is aware that he is recidivist, and will repeat these horrific crimes until caught. jmo

Whether the sexual predator is in his adolescent teens or in his 30s or 40s. Once they cross the threshold from *advertiser censored* driven fantasies to dark reality. They will only escalate, imo.. It is not sex that gets them off, but the terror, torture, and mutilation..the control, the fear in their eyes, etc..imo.
Sexual predators that prey on the Elderly, likely had an overbearing and domineering grandparent(usually the grandmother) that raised them, imo.

Imo, the family will not come forward and provide info, even if known due to enabling. Only a concerned neighbor or family friend will likely reveal them, imo.

Example; Sexual Sadist Goes Back Behind Bars..
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/sexual-sadist-goes-back-behind-bars-173441731.html

I hear you. But don't you sometimes need to spend a little money to get back a lot of money.
Which is why I liked your original speculation. The lack of ransom / theft and the "clean getaway" screams PROFESSIONAL.

However, the degree of difficulty and using Occam's Razor suggests a water approach. Still big money, but no damning paper trail.

An earlier post had a great map of the Reynolds Plantation properties. In this attachment, you will see that Great Waters (on the lower left) is the ONLY Reynolds property on the western shore.

Reynolds.jpg

Getting to Great Waters from the other Reynolds properties is a little like getting from Oakland to San Francisco without bridges.

But the Lake angle: let's say the person or persons took the head and Mrs. D, via boat. How are he/they going to explain their cargo once they get back to the rental place?
First, the lake is HUGE and was built in the 70s, I'll bet there are hundreds of places to launch a boat. (Wouldn't surprise me if the lake cut off dirt roads that used to be there leaving plenty of natural launch points)

As for rental...a simple (or not so simple) boat can be pulled behind a car on a trailer and backed up right into the water. No (potentially identifying) rental necessary.

I wonder if the boat ramps and the rental area have camera's?
I'm sure they've already looked at that though.

mck16, imo, they do not know who did this. But due to the info known from the crime scene combined with the psychological behavioral profile prepared by the FBI BAU2, Quantico, VA. Sheriff Sills, knows the type and traits of the deranged and dangerous creature that they are looking for, and is aware that he is recidivist, and will repeat these horrific crimes until caught. jmo

Whether the sexual predator is in his adolescent teens or in his 30s or 40s. Once they cross the threshold from *advertiser censored* driven fantasies to dark reality. They will only escalate, imo.. It is not sex that gets them off, but the terror, torture, and mutilation..the control, the fear in their eyes, etc..imo.
Sexual predators that prey on the Elderly, likely had an overbearing and domineering grandparent(usually the grandmother) that raised them, imo.

Imo, the family will not come forward and provide info, even if known due to enabling. Only a concerned neighbor or family friend will likely reveal them, imo.

Example; Sexual Sadist Goes Back Behind Bars..
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/sexual-sadist-goes-back-behind-bars-173441731.html

My thought process was if the neighbors or family talk how would the perp know.

That is why I was suggesting it was someone they all know that they are suspicious of. jmo

I reread the article w quotes, purporting to be from family, in May 14 article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgia-murder-mystery-horror.html#ixzz31ozpedsz

Headline:
"Despairing son hopes his mother is dead to 'ease her suffering' a week after she vanished and husband's headless body was found at their $1m home in Georgia murder mystery horror....
"Son Keith told MailOnline the thought of her suffering is just unbearable"
"Family believe it was a random attack or even a 'cult' thing"

From a caption:
"Their son, Keith, said: 'If she is still alive, we can’t imagine what she is going through… but it has almost got to the stage where we hope she is with our father, just to ease her suffering'

Another caption:
" ...Keith, pictured center left with wife Kathleen and other family members, said: 'The more we think about it, the more it makes sense that this was just some sick individual who randomly targeted them.' He added it could have been the work of a cult."

From story:
"A devastated son whose father was beheaded and his mother abducted a week ago today said he now hopes she is dead to ‘ease her suffering’ as it is too unbearable to think of her in pain." BBM, RBM

"Keith... said: ‘The Sheriff is keeping us informed as much as he can. I spoke to him yesterday. He is holding back some information as it is important to the case."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if that is a quote -- if the son actually said ---
hope she is dead to ease her suffering.
Maybe reporter used a bit of literary or dramatic license.

Anyone else wonder if son actually used those very words?

The distance between the Dermond's house and the house for sale is quite a ways apart. I don't see how someone in a neighboring yard could hear people talking inside.
I can try to find the link for the overhead view again.

Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x88f6ed24ef40b0fb:0xb1df5a5de07016fc

I guess he could have been working on the property line where it is wooded.

I am must now catching up with today's posts. And, I guess this is in the rumor category anyway but it occurred to me that voices carry over water more so than over land.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgia-murder-mystery-horror.html#ixzz31ozpedsz

Headline:
"Despairing son hopes his mother is dead to 'ease her suffering' a week after she vanished and husband's headless body was found at their $1m home in Georgia murder mystery horror....

From a caption:
"Their son, Keith, said: 'If she is still alive, we can’t imagine what she is going through… but it has almost got to the stage where we hope she is with our father, just to ease her suffering'

Another caption:
" ...Keith, pictured center left with wife Kathleen and other family members, said: 'The more we think about it, the more it makes sense that this was just some sick individual who randomly targeted them.' He added it could have been the work of a cult."

From story:
"A devastated son whose father was beheaded and his mother abducted a week ago today said he now hopes she is dead to ‘ease her suffering’ as it is too unbearable to think of her in pain." BBM, RBM

"Keith... said: ‘The Sheriff is keeping us informed as much as he can. I spoke to him yesterday. He is holding back some information as it is important to the case."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really think a person 'thinks about their words' when something so heinous as this crime strikes their family.

Any you imagine what must be going through their heads with their father dead and their mother missing.

They know whomever did this to their father is a monster and just the thought of what COULD be happening to their mother must be impossible for the human mind to cope with.

I myself have had to walk away. It's just to upsetting to think of what this couple, living their retirement life, went through in their final hours.

A monster...for sure!

Headline:

From a caption:

Another caption:

From story:

Per Richard Elliot of WSB:

The AJC got a statement from Keith Dermond late this afternoon. It was similarly worded - part of him hopes his mother went quietly because the thought of her suffering over the past two weeks is simply too much for him to bear.

Not quoting that properly because I did my best but it may not be verbatim.

The rest of the report was basically community reaction to Sills declining to call in GBI investigators. The GBI has no public comment on Sills decision but privately some officials say he's missing an opportunity to use their resources.

Elliot says unless directed by the Governor, the GBI doesn't get involved in cases unless specifically asked by a local law enforcement agency. Sills is using help from the FBI and at least six other sheriffs' offices.

Al66pine, good questions... Here's my thoughts: the Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper and has a pretty sleazy reputation in Great Britain - they tend to sensationalize things and people read it more for "entertainment" value than real news (just google the Daily Mail) - that's one of the reasons I was so surprised that anyone in the family would grant them an interview - but maybe he didn't know that about this paper. And if they were asked by LE to avoid the media, maybe he thought it would be okay to talk to an overseas newspaper? They do also pay money for their stories...

This is JMO from having lived and worked in England for 6 years many moons ago.

Does anyone know if this lake has gators or is it too far North? Thks!

Does anyone know if this lake has gators or is it too far North? Thks!

Seems somebody up thread mentioned gators and had a picture. Not sure just where but a couple days back.

Tell me the name of the lake and I'll google it and see what I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro