GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel strongly that the taking of Mr. D's head does not relate to hiding COD or identifying perp.

Easier to hide/dispose of a weapon than a body or body part. Much less risky. Plus, if Mr. D died by the same means as his wife (blunt force trauma) that could be inflicted by just about anything. Yes the wound pattern if the skull was actually damaged or cracked might give some identifying info about the type of weapon used. But even that is sketchy at best.

I just don't see a killer neatly decapitating someone to remove their head for evidentiary coverup reasons.

How do they know nothing was taken from the house?
Adult children of seniors have no idea what's in the attic, the basement, those boxes that haven't been opened since 1955...boxes they inherited from another family member. When I was going through my mother's house to move her here this year, I found some documents that blew me away. I asked my mother where they came from? She said they were my grandfathers's boxes, and she never looked in the boxes after they sold my grandparent's house in 1995! I marched myself to the bank with contents of the box. We have no idea what they have in most cases.

From today's article: Wonder what this is about?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/authorities-return-to-lake-where-missing-eatonton-/nfydM/

Searchers today are looking for the head of Russell Dermond as well as other unspecified evidence on Lake Oconee, Sills told Channel 2. The sheriff said he is “doing something else” on the lake, but declined to elaborate

I noticed that too. Generally looking for other evidence? Or something more specific, like using a metal detector to find a murder weapon - i.e. maybe a crow bar or metal pipe used to cause the blunt force trauma?

Where in the world were they murdered? Keeps getting more confusing.

Is there a quiet cove near the dam where no houses are? body would easily drift towards the dam

Though Sheriff Sills emphatically declined to answer the questions about whether the body was weighed down with anything, I am wondering if perhaps it was, to some degree anyhow, and that one thing they are doing on the lake is looking for where that object may have come from.

A boat anchor, of course, comes to mind -- or some other part or accessory to a boat -- perhaps stolen from another boat along the way? Or part of a fence, or something ornamental, such as a heavy lawn decoration...

The sonar that was used last week on the lake searching for Mrs. D's body, do we know if it was close to this location where she was found? If so, how did it miss her?

Now that there is a path from the house to where she was found, is it possible to send divers in to search for the head and the weapon?

Let's remember that the reporting of the Long Shoals boat ramp was that it was the place where the Sheriff entered and exited the water, not that that was were the body was found.

Since it was found in the Greene County jurisdiction, that means it is was found on the far (western) side of the lake and not the side where the Dermond's lived.

As I said in an earlier post, the most likely scenario was that the perps dumped her over the side on the way back to wherever they entered.

Wave action could have caused the (now buoyant) body to float to the side.

Since it went toward the Greene Co. side, that may indicate that the perps entered from the western, and not the eastern shore.

Not that they wouldn't try to investigate all possible entry points (but remember, there could be hundreds), I certainly would comb the western side from the dam up to the latitude of Great Waters first and diligently.

http://www.msgr.com/news/article_47b9688e-dd40-11e3-931d-001a4bcf887a.html

found near wallace dam

The sonar that was used last week on the lake searching for Mrs. D's body, do we know if it was close to this location where she was found? If so, how did it miss her?

Now that there is a path from the house to where she was found, is it possible to send divers in to search for the head and the weapon?

I think they were searching in the Dermonds cove or around their dock area

SD body was 5 or 6 miles from there, as Sills stated

Kind of an off-the-wall question, but: Would there likely be gambling at a Kentucky Derby party? Behind the scenes or whatever... Could the Dermonds have been planning to take a wad of cash along to such an affair?

I just keep wondering if maybe they were assaulted as they prepared to head out to the party or somewhere else.

Where in the world were they murdered? Keeps getting more confusing.

That's what I want to know. Both Dermonds apparently died of head trauma plus the decapitation of Mr. D, yet there was a lack of blood splatter in the garage where Mr. D was found. So where's the murder scene? Either LE is not revealing what they know (which is appropriate) or this murder is just too tidy and well planned to be some random psycho killer. IMO

Maybe someone witnessed a person(s) doing a major, detailed cleaning of their boat but would that even be suspicious after a day of fishing?

Coroner: Shirley Dermond died from blunt force trauma

...Putnam coroner Gary McElhenney...said there is no other visible trauma on the body. A toxicology screening of the body will be done, but results may take two or three weeks or two or three months....
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/crime/2014/05/17/dermond-cause-of-death/9218191/

In this item, Coroner McElhenney was reporting info from the GBI autopsy.

Some have wondered why the GBI did the autopsy, given the sheriff's feelings about including the GBI in the investigation. I don't think there is anything unusual about it. First, though I don't know all of the Putnam County Coroner's qualifications and abilities, he IS a coroner, not necessarily a medical examiner. Also, though the sheriff didn't call in the GBI to investigate, he did say he was making use of the GBI lab services, etc.

It may even be required...?:

The Medical Examiner's Office of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation provides complete forensic pathology services to 153 of Georgia’s 159 counties in deaths which qualify as coroner cases under the Georgia Death Investigation Act.
https://gbi.georgia.gov/medical-examiners-office

I imagine the six counties excepted are probably metro counties and may have their own M.E./accepted facilities.

more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/crime/2014/05/17/dermond-cause-of-death/9218191/

In this item, Coroner McElhenney was reporting info from the GBI autopsy.

Some have wondered why the GBI did the autopsy, given the sheriff's feelings about including the GBI in the investigation. I don't think there is anything unusual about it. First, though I don't know all of the Putnam County Coroner's qualifications and abilities, he IS a coroner, not necessarily a medical examiner. Also, though the sheriff didn't call in the GBI to investigate, he did say he was making use of the GBI lab services, etc.

It may even be required...?:

https://gbi.georgia.gov/medical-examiners-office

I imagine the six counties excepted are probably metro counties and may have their own M.E./accepted facilities.
I think he decided to let the GBI have the body so that they would have all the autopsy records in one location to prepare for a trial. I am sure he turned his records for Mr. D over as well.
He knows what the killer was trying to do.
It's no accident that Mrs. D ended up in Greene County.
The killer did that on purpose.
By calling in the GBI, Sills just threw
a monkey wrench into that scheme.
Sills 1
Killer 0

*ETA: remember Mr. D has not been buried, GBI could also perform a 2nd autopsy on him as well.
Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

This is starting to sound like some sick "Weekend at Bernie's" movie. Carrying corpses, possibly headless ones, around in a boat and/or car. Returning one to his garage
minus his head and sinking the other body in the lake...
No fear I guess.
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

All too bizarre. Occams Razor needs to be applied to this case.

I'm really thinking he owed a Mexican cartel....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Weird feeling. Hinky and stinky - just :moo: and :twocents:

1. It's too much information. Why feel the need to explain that you had gallbladder surgery 4 weeks ago? To make sure no one suspected you were capable of beheading a man and abducting his wife.

"XXXX, who said he had gallbladder surgery about four weeks ago, was "doing some work around the house" earlier in the afternoon, saw his neighbor cutting grass, and suggested they go fishing for crappie."

2. Let LE hold the press conferences and announce that Mrs. Dermond has been found. He sounds like a damn leprechaun who has found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - good ole boy or not.

____________, a 49-year-old Putnam County resident, says he is the fisherman who discovered Shirley Dermond's body in the waters of the Oconee River.

_____ called The Messenger office shortly after 6:30 p.m. to say he had been fishing with a neighbor when he saw something that "just didn't look right."

http://www.msgr.com/news/article_2019c256-dd4a-11e3-a5f1-001a4bcf887a.html

th

Now suddenly the fisherman is a SUSPECT? Geez, Come on, lets not get wild here, he just wants the promised reward. Don't blame him. Probably told his neighbor "Lets go fishing for Crappies" and "collect that reward"> Nothing wrong with that. Good for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24