GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is how they arrived at the "something crazy" headline

Keith Dermond, 55, said investigators have referred to his parents’ killings as “a targeted crime.”

“We’ve had two weeks almost to think about all this and just cannot come up with anything that sounds logical,” he said.

“Especially with nothing of any value taken. There wasn’t a robbery of any kind. I just think it was a random thing, or if it was targeted they hit the wrong house, or something crazy like that.”

He couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to harm his folks, who ran an Atlanta-area chain of Hardee’s restaurants until they retired 20 years ago.

He said, “I just don’t understand it at all.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/310...conee-killings.html?sp=/99/148/#storylink=cpy

JMO but it sounds like the Dermond family has been trying to wrap their minds around this much the same as we have here.

My prayers are with them as they absorb this double loss and the horror around how.

Is the revealing info the tweet was referring to that Shirley's body was placed there and didn't float there? In order for it not to float away from where it was placed it must have been tied or secured somehow?

And, I must say I want to give all of her bridge partners a great big:grouphug: Bless their hearts!!

That's what I'm assuming, although I do wonder about maybe just random broken fishing lines possibly entangling her body. Hopefully they could tell if it was deliberate.

The story gives us a better personal glimpse of Russell and Shirley -- little anecdotes shared by the bridge club. Very sad.

I think the public needed that article, very good article, very sad

alrighty before this thing gets legs one way or another I think we need a link to what, if anything, describes the state of or presence or lack of clothing on Mrs. D.

I have heard everyday clothing (assuming indicating daytime apparel) and now seeing people discussing her nudity.

Which is it?

Because it certainly matters and I would like the facts before I start speculating on what being found in either state would mean.

Who said she was nude? Someone posted and said... "IF" she were nude. Obviously that poster hadn't seen the other post with the link to the video with the reporter saying Mrs. D. was found in everyday clothing. The statement about the clothing wasn't even in the article that accompanied the video.

Off topic: Not so new, maybe, OLDMACONBOY -- maybe just don't hang around here too much?

(I say this because I remember you posting, briefly, at the start of the Lauren Giddings case. I think it was you that said every time you saw my user name you started thinking, "Rolling down a backwoods...Tennessee byway -- one arm on the wheel ...")

Glad to have you back with us again!

hahaha, GOOD SONG !

Reading the comments from Mrs. D's bridge club was heartbreaking. She sounds like she was indeed the sweet, kind, loving person we have heard her described as.

After reading this, the horror she lived thru at the end of her life, becomes even worse!
Prayers to her family.

:tears: GULP!

*imo- that says a boat load about the killer. No pun intended.
Shouldn't be too long now.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OH AND thank you for not saying BUTT LOAD, hahaha, kids today use this term and I always correct them !!!

this bit right here is very helpful in explaining how in an area the sheriff described as the middle of the lake, Mrs. D was caught up in brush and yet floating as described by the fishermen who found her.

Very helpful in helping me clear up my questions about that apparent discrepancy

When the Oconee River was flooded to build the lake in the late 1970s, trees were left standing, in part, to create underwater habitats for fish.

Dermond’s body was found in 46 feet of water, in a part of the lake where the tops of underwater trees jut close to or above the surface.

A source familiar with the investigation told The Telegraph that the body had been “placed” where it was found. The source did not elaborate.

Even so, the revelation indicates that Dermond’s corpse was not adrift and that authorities now have evidence of how her killer may have tried to hide her body.

Such clues could prove helpful in determining the validity of tips should people claiming to know specifics of the crime come forward, or when potential suspects are questioned.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/310...conee-killings.html?sp=/99/148/#storylink=cpy

This is what I was referring to in regards to knowing more about the killer.
He KNEW the lake. Well.
Probably someone who
fishes a lot, Maybe even in tournaments?
He probably has a boat that he keeps on the lake and I bet it is not a john boat.
-He knew about the underwater trees.Used for underwater fish habitat.
-He knew that area well enough to know he was placing her in Greene County.
-He knew that there were no homes anywhere close by and he could dispose of her under the cover of darkness and not be seen.*and there was almost no moon that night.
-He killed her first so no one would hear anything that would raise a red flag.
-He took the boat directly to the predetermined location that he knew about because he lives in and frequents the area. He was hoping he could drop her down in the trees and debris and she would sink and become entangled and never be found.

He almost succeeded....
moo

If Mrs. D.'s body was placed where it was found, that sounds like another indicator that the perp was familiar with this lake. He knew exactly what he was going to do with her body!

So, guess he was prepared for her to be at home and had preplanned his moves.

My opinions only.

I wonder what will become of their home and property?
Will it eventually be sold?
There are several houses for sale and lots for sale also on Carolyn Drive.
These horrible murders could possibly scare people that could have been interested
in purchasing these properties.
I wonder if the perp had wanted to purchase real estate? Maybe a large grouping
of lots, and if the Dermonds home would be sold now, their house could be on prime property along with the other lots for sale.
I imagine it might be more difficult to sell property on Carolyn Drive now, so property values
could possibly decrease perhaps, or maybe people want to sell their homes?
If a person had money and wanted some prime property that they could purchase along with other lots, would a person do these horrific crimes to the Dermonds just for their real estate and they were banking on that the Dermond family children would be selling it?
IMOO.

Won't try to type a long reply...suffice to say you are not safe with checks either....a few years ago I ordered new checks....mine and four other families had checks stolen....it was believed to have been taken from a mail drop in a larger city than mine...suffice to say "she" wrote $9,000 over a week-end...they get the checks, make the purchases on a week-end and then like on a Sunday return the items to the stores for the cash as in a refund. Talk about a gimmick....I did not have to stand for the amount but I sure had to prove to the big box stores who I was and furnish my ID....nothing is safe anymore. I felt like someone had come into my home and gone through my things....I was able to look at some of the checks she wrote...scary.....I was so mad I could have spit!

I felt the same way and it was only 1,000 dollars. But, I was the one who had to file all the reports, get a new card, and call all the companies I had set up as ACH. Plus the inconvenience of waiting until I got my new card. And I am supposing they got the money. I hope they needed it more than me. :)

this bit right here is very helpful in explaining how in an area the sheriff described as the middle of the lake, Mrs. D was caught up in brush and yet floating as described by the fishermen who found her.

Very helpful in helping me clear up my questions about that apparent discrepancy

When the Oconee River was flooded to build the lake in the late 1970s, trees were left standing, in part, to create underwater habitats for fish.

Dermond’s body was found in 46 feet of water, in a part of the lake where the tops of underwater trees jut close to or above the surface.

A source familiar with the investigation told The Telegraph that the body had been “placed” where it was found. The source did not elaborate.

Even so, the revelation indicates that Dermond’s corpse was not adrift and that authorities now have evidence of how her killer may have tried to hide her body.

Such clues could prove helpful in determining the validity of tips should people claiming to know specifics of the crime come forward, or when potential suspects are questioned.

I did not know that the tree stumps were there, that's like Lake Blackshear ! ANd people SKI IN THAT WATER

Anyway, sounds like the perps tried to hide the body and maybe the head in the bottom where all the roots are, something was said in the article about sonar not being able to get in there easily to look because of that

The being PLACED I gather as meaning, SD was placed there in that area, underwater where the roots are, hoping it would not surface, but it did and hung at the water line on the trunk sticking up instead of in the roots at the bottom as they maybe hoped

Not necessarily PLACED on that tree limb sticking up as it sounds

Of course did we think they were experts? Sounds amateur

How does the writer go from this Twitter Teaser:

"Puzzling new detail in slaying of Lake Oconee woman found dead in water. My story soon on......."

to the "crazy" headline story?

Where is the puzzling new detail?

If it is that she was "placed" in the trees, how do they know that?

Maybe she drifted to the base of the trees, got caught for a few days and rose up into them as time went by. Somebody mentioned entangled in fishing lines, clearly that is possible as I would expect a location like that would be entangled with all kinds of stray lines and ropes.

These horrible murders could possibly scare people that could have been interested
of lots, and if the Dermonds home would be sold now, their house could be on prime property along with the other lots for sale.
I imagine it might be more difficult to sell property on Carolyn Drive now, so property values
If a person had money and wanted some prime property that they could purchase along with other lots, would a person do these horrific crimes to the Dermonds just for their real estate and they were banking on that the Dermond family children would be selling it?
IMOO.

Sure seems like the killer took care not to cause any damage to the home.
We know the doors were unlocked. He could have.hidden Mr.D inside he home, but he chose to leave the body in the garage.
Moo

IMOO.

That occurred to me too but didn't know how to say it properly

BUt my additional thoughts was Decreased property value of that home or in that area due to the crime, but my thoughts were on a larger scale of the whole area being effected by the murder, not just the one house and vacant lots nearby, you know depleting values for WHO though, IDK, a developer ? but as time goes by the concern over this will diminish and sells will increase again

You know, buy low, sell high

BUT who knows, you could be on to something, OBVIOUSLY someones crazy enough to murder this nice couple SOOOO..........

This is what I was referring to in regards to knowing more about the killer.
He KNEW the lake. Well.
Probably someone who
fishes a lot, Maybe even in tournaments?
He probably has a boat that he keeps on the lake and I bet it is not a john boat.
-He knew about the underwater trees.Used for underwater fish habitat.
-He knew that area well enough to know he was placing her in Greene County.
-He knew that there were no homes anywhere close by and he could dispose of her under the cover of darkness and not be seen.*and there was almost no moon that night.
-He killed her first so no one would hear anything that would raise a red flag.
-He took the boat directly to the predetermined location that he knew about because he lives in and frequents the area. He was hoping he could drop her down in the trees and debris and she would sink and become entangled and never be found.

He almost succeeded....
moo

BBM
I agree with you on this. I didn't understand what the sheriff meant when he said "she had been placed there" until this latest story. They knew the lake! There is no way someone would have not placed her there without knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro