GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish bonkers were mentioned previously. I'm not a fishing-type person and so the idea of bonking a fish to death makes me ill... but, I found a fishing forum where crafting your own is discussed. Maybe someone at Lake Oconee has a fish bonker that's unique to the fisherman?

Let's see your fish bonkers - www.ifish.net

#16 was very unique - hand crafted. . . typically crappie are fish that aren't bonked. What other fish are found in Lake Oconee? :trout:

It was stated in the article that that the credit card transaction was used to purchase something online from Amazon. Now, I'm no detective or anything, but if you buy something from Amazon and have it shipped to your house, just how much "investigating" is required to obtain the shipping address of the person who made the purchase ??

Seems pretty easy to me. Then again, I'm not a trained detective. (maybe I should be)

The crooks pick a vacant home in their neighborhood and have the package shipped there. Then they swoop in after the UPS truck and grab the box.

My house is spotless and everything is always put away. I have hubbys morning paper put in the recycling as soon as he is done with it. We never have dishes that have been used out and about.

But many other homes are also kept very clean and picked up.

I thought it strange he remarked on it.

I didn't think much of it, only because I used to visit people's homes for work and they were usually disgusting for the most part...so, I just took it to mean he was shocked at how nice and clean it was compared to what he sees on a regular basis

And some of us right here guessed that was the reason very early on.

I believe the killer was afraid that the pattern of the weapon may have been able to be seen on the head of each victim. Many times a bludgeoning weapon does leave an imprint pattern on the scalp of victims.

Now I wonder if the weapon was even a crowbar and Sills just said that to throw the killer off to give him a false sense of security that LE has it wrong. They may have put that out there not wanting the killer to know they really know exactly what weapon was used.

It could be something with a lot of intricate spirals, deep engraving detail or scroll work.

Whatever it is the killer thinks if known it could ID him.

IMO

It could also be something made of wood that splintered and left miniscule pieces or something painted that left flakes ... many possibilities.

BBM

But why not remove the head of Mrs D if the killer used the same object? Time restraints?

I wonder which one died first.

I think (JMO) that the same object was NOT used. The same method, basically, yes, but not the same object. I think the object used on Mr. D. is likely the one the perp was most worried about, and I think Mr. D. likely was the first killed. That's what I think at THIS moment, anyhow...

I think (JMO) that the same object was NOT used. The same method, basically, yes, but not the same object. I think the object used on Mr. D. is likely the one the perp was most worried about, and I think Mr. D. likely was the first killed. That's what I think at THIS moment, anyhow...

I agree. And Mr. D. had no defensive wounds so he had to have been taken completely off guard. It would be very telling if Mrs. D. had any defensive wounds because if she were with Mr. D. at the time of the attack then she most definitely should have had some. If she had none then she must have been alone and not known Mr. D. had already been killed. If you see a crowbar or something coming at you I think it is impossible not to raise your hands in defense. It's a reflex.

The bewildering question that stands out in my mind is why would the killer take the risk of removing a body from the crime scene rather than simply leaving it?

Is the simple answer that SD had been the target for sexual assault?

Assaults on elderly women are not unheard of. If this was the case, it becomes much more understandable that the killer had no option but to get rid of the body because of the DNA signature.

It's also possible that the killer was unaware of the fact that a corpse will float after being in the water for some time. He may have been so unaware of that, that if he simply dropped the body in the water and it quickly sank out of sight, he thought that was it. He could have weighted the body with almost anything he could pick up, and thought that was how it was done in the movies. He may never have heard of Archimedes.

It may be possible that a boat was used, but it's not absolute---I don't think. If the killer was a "regular" in GW, he could have driven his often seen vehicle to the end of the cul-de-sac, out of sight of the neighbors whom may have been otherwise occupied, and made his move on SD. RD could have been off on his walk, playing golf, or at the Publix chatting with the cashier. If the killer knew RD's normal schedule, that would have made the attack even more convenient.

So the killer may have planned ahead or realized after that he had to get rid of the body. Given the house being located at the end of a cul-de-sac, it's likely no one would come up, drive around, and drive back out, and pay any attention to what might be going on. Especially if the vehicle's was familiar in GW.

I would think it would be safer and easier to remove the corpse from the home, place it in the vehicle, and proceed to the point of placement rather than do something like pick up the corpse, walk around the house down to the little dock, put the corpse in a boat, and leave in the boat with a dead body going out onto the lake where there would potentially be more witnesses, and the chance of doom if someone saw something odd on the cruise to Riley Shoals.

Was it day or night? SD was, according to LE, wearing day clothing, so it seems this was a daytime crime?

So what about RD? If he was out and came back at the time of the crime, the killer had to eliminate him too. What happened then is another mystery, but the finish was the same. If RD was simply killed, or even as he was killed, there's little likelihood of a DNA signature, so it wasn't mandatory that his body be disposed of. Why only the head? That's a tough one.

If the killer used a vehicle to quietly leave the scene via a route that was nearly unobserved, (familiar vehicle through the gate), then there is a route to, possibly, Long Shoals, possibly somewhere else, and that route is not busy with traffic or residential development. But is it possible that he waited until nightfall to dispose of the remains at a place a short distance from the place where the corpse was when it was found on Friday? Could the corpse have been placed in the water such that it could have, after some days, have come up at the snags?

Hmmmm.....

Although this is not my primary theory (see my blog), I have wondered about the Nuwabian raid.

Was any of the land owned by the Nuwabian's annexed to GW?

Is any of the land adjacent to GW?

Did Nuwabian land get purchased by anyone connected to GW?

Have there ever been any retaliatory responses to that chapter of history?

I agree. And Mr. D. had no defensive wounds so he had to have been taken completely off guard. It would be very telling if Mrs. D. had any defensive wounds because if she were with Mr. D. at the time of the attack then she most definitely should have had some. If she had none then she must have been alone and not known Mr. D. had already been killed. If you see a crowbar or something coming at you I think it is impossible not to raise your hands in defense. It's a reflex.

Hmmm. You just brought something else to my mind -- a small thing. That is, if Mr. D. was struck in the head with something and the perp had not removed the head, it probably would have been easy to tell if he was struck from behind -- in likely a "sneak" attack. If it was, perp may not have wanted that known, either.

And, in the same line of thought, maybe the ME was able to tell from what direction the blows to Mrs. D. came.

It's like there is something about this that I just can't put my finger on... Like it should be an "ah ha!" moment.

Either not as well planned as we think or extremely detailed, as though the killer intentionally and specifically used a specific object on RD and then something else on SD. As though the weapon of choice on RD had some meaning.

Need to stop typing before ambien settles in.

What are the chances that the weapons used are on the bottom of the lake?

"The sheriff leading the investigation into the gruesome slayings of an elderly Eatonton couple said he believes the victims knew their killers."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/...f4Tg/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Snipped from the above article"

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some physical evidence

UBM What would be the physical evidence that made him assume the Dermonds knew their killer?

I have not read this thread, so I if this has already been mentioned I apologize....but what if the crowbar could not be pulled out and was lodged in his head, so be the reason for beheading.....need to remove evidence.

Although this is not my primary theory (see my blog), I have wondered about the Nuwabian raid.

Was any of the land owned by the Nuwabian's annexed to GW?

Is any of the land adjacent to GW?

Did Nuwabian land get purchased by anyone connected to GW?

Have there ever been any retaliatory responses to that chapter of history?

The Nuwabian compound was on the opposite end of the county. I LONG way away. No connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadgett inspeccion