GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<BBM for focus>

Security Cameras were down and imo, when leaving a gate-less community, even less scrutiny would be given to a vehicle with a valid GW decal by security.
If the perp/s lived in the GW community. Why would the perp/s not use the Dermond's vehicle to dispose of the bodies and then torch the vehicle in a desolate area? Why use a boat for transport? Just thinking out loud...

And why would they take Mr. D's body someplace else to behead him and why would they take Mrs. D way down river to a different place.

My head is spinning.

Sheriff also said they are releasing the house tomorrow to the family. (assuming that video was done today)

how sad for the family to have to go into the home of their parents. Have to see all the memories of 65 years of their parents marriage. jmo

Raw video of WSB's interview with Sheriff Sills on their facebook page. wsbtv

Or link:
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw-putnam-county-sheriff-on-reynolds-plantation/vCbg7P/

I am so glad that Sills is trying to quash the rumors about any family connection. You can tell that rumors doesn't sit well with him.

He says he knows Shirley and Russ were targeted but doesn't know why yet.

Everyone I suppose is targeted for some reason when they become victims of crimes. Their vulnerability........their home being isolated and secluded etc.....or because someone they knew personally had a vendetta against them that were unknown to others and maybe even to the victims themselves.

I sure hope all of the neighbors come forward if they know someone in the community that didn't like the Dermonds or had some kind of resentment against them for some reason.

Thank you very much for doing that!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

You're welcome. Hopefully, the main points are delivered because I am terrible at doing it! Lol.

To clarify:
There was actual video of Sheriff Sills speaking and also Mark Winne reporting other questions he asked and the answers he received from Sills.

<BBM for focus>

Security Cameras were down and imo, when leaving a gate-less community, even less scrutiny would be given to a vehicle with a valid GW decal by security.
If the perp/s lived in the GW community. Why would the perp/s not use the Dermond's vehicle to dispose of the bodies and then torch the vehicle in a desolate area? Why use a boat for transport? Just thinking out loud...

Imo, because they would be taking the chance that someone would see them driving the Dermonds vehicle.

Less chance of being seen if they took their boat out in the middle of the night to discard Shirley and Russ' head.

That way they didn't even have to approach the front gate which probably has more activity than back where the Dermond home sat at the end of a very quiet cul-de-sac secluded from other homes close by.

Also if there was blood in the boat it is nothing unusual to see a boat owner washing down his boat really well and they use strong cleaning products too.

JMO though

Sheriff also said they are releasing the house tomorrow to the family. (assuming that video was done today)

What a very sad day it will be when their children walk into their parents dream home that once held such happy memories for them all.

I cant begin to imagine the pain all of these children and grandchildren are enduring by losing their mom and dad or grandpa and grandmother in this manner.:(

What a very sad day it will be when their children walk into their parents dream home that once held such happy memories for them all.

I cant begin to imagine the pain all of these children and grandchildren are enduring by losing their mom and dad or grandpa and grandmother in this manner.:(

The really sad thing will be that it is just as they left it. Maybe clothes laid out for the party. A new hat for the Derby. Medicine bottles, perfume on the dresser. So sad. jmo

BBM Oh I hope a certain someone is squirming about now.

And I think he knows the murderer is listening and watching everything he has had to say.:)

Yep. now he is putting out there that the murderer may not have been as sly as he thought he was.

ITA! All of this is to make him squirm. Now the murderer will start second guessing himself.

And I think he knows the murderer is listening and watching everything he has had to say.:)

Yep. now he is putting out there that the murderer may not have been as sly as he thought he was.

ITA! All of this is to make him squirm. Now the murderer will start second guessing himself.

I hope so.

I recall a hit and run several years ago in Georgia when a State Trooper was run down by a passing motorist on the Interstate. They only had a very grainy and blurred image of the license plate. Not readable. Students? at Georgia Tech worked with the image until they could read the plate and the lady was eventually arrested in NY. Hoping they get an image to work with on this case!

I am looking at the map of the lake that was posted upthread. It seems the Dermond property was located in a very busy, well populated area so there COULD HAVE BEEN people out and about early and late with boats and just enjoying the river.

So now I am wondering if they took Mrs. D by car but had a boat down by the
Long Shoals Boat Ramp which is pretty close to where she was found?

It would have to be a pretty large boat because a small boat would tip trying to put a dead woman in say a Jon or fishing type boat.

The large boat makes me think there were two killers. It also makes me think they came from a residence on the lake.

I wonder if there are any cameras down there or close by??? Sometimes they have gas pumps by ramps at large bodies of water. Keeping a camera on them would be important...I think!

While I do think it was a larger boat and maybe one with tall sides it could have been a Jon boat too.

Remember Scott Peterson took his 14 foot Jon boat to the SF bay and was able to throw Laci over the side and she was almost 9 months pregnant and probably weighed more than Shirley at the time. So they could have done it from a Jon boat but I think it was a larger boat. Not real large but larger than a Jon boat.

For some reason I see the murderer as someone with wealth and having nice things such as a bigger nicer boat.

But what is intriguing is Sills mentioning the reason he removed Russ' head and tried to conceal Shirley's body is because he was trying to hide evidence of how and what he killed them with.

So I take it whatever weapon was really used against them both is very unique in some aspect and can easily be linked and traced back to him.

That is why I posted earlier whether the weapon has uniqueness ........if the weapon used was something which had been on display hanging in this man's home for a long time.....say over his mantelpiece for years and seen by many?

IMO

Wow so the Sheriff believes the head was taken to hide evidence?
What type of evidence would need to be hid besides a bullet?

And some of us right here guessed that was the reason very early on.

I believe the killer was afraid that the pattern of the weapon may have been able to be seen on the head of each victim. Many times a bludgeoning weapon does leave an imprint pattern on the scalp of victims.

Now I wonder if the weapon was even a crowbar and Sills just said that to throw the killer off to give him a false sense of security that LE has it wrong. They may have put that out there not wanting the killer to know they really know exactly what weapon was used.

It could be something with a lot of intricate spirals, deep engraving detail or scroll work.

Whatever it is the killer thinks if known it could ID him.

IMO

IMO

I continue to wonder if they were not kicked in their heads. A shoe print would be unique. I had been wondering why we hadn't heard anything about footprints at the Dermond's home. So I pondered about that here and the next day or two we hear they are looking at shoe prints! Which of course they would be but I thought it interesting that no media reports had included any info. about prints left at the site.

Sorry this is a really rough summary. Trying to fix dinner and watch.

WSB Televised Piece/Interview with Sheriff Sills:
FBI reviewing surveillance video on nearby homes. Sills driven by a sense of duty to the Dermonds. In his 40 yr career, this is the greatest mystery he's faced. Speculates the head was removed to conceal evidence of some nature. Suggested it could be to conceal identifying information about the murder weapon. Firm commitment from the FBI. After questioning residents of Great Waters, they have identified some surveillance systems they didn't know existed. The videos have been sent to the FBI lab in Quantico. He has authorities screening every known resident of Great Waters to see if they have criminal backgrounds and the same for workers there. He cannot rule out that something was stolen but all the things normally taken are still in the home. Sills was asked if there was anything unusual about the will or estate. Reply was remarkably not. He was asked if the killer or killers had a boat. Reply was absolutely. He told Mark Winne that does not mean that somebody did not also come by land.
Thanks so much,....you are a peach.

I am wondering if there are any Security Camera's at the boat landings and private ramps?

I am also wondering if people along the river have Security Cameras on their own piers since many have very nice boats, wave runners and other items of value.

I don't believe the boat landings have security cameras, but I can't say for sure.

The decals are sticky on the front side. They can't be peeled off and reapplied like a car tag decal can be.

Also forgot to mention that at its biggest point, Reynolds Plantation and associated properties have had more than 500 employees all eligible for access decals.

I felt compelled to sign up when I was reading some of the speculation about neighbors, many of whom I know. I think the moderator directed posters away from some of that "sleuthing.' I am a Lake Oconee local and am familiar with the lake and neighborhood. I don't have any theories about the crime that haven't been mentioned here. However, I might be able to comment on specific questions. For example, the neighboring houses are occupied.

Hi! Do you know where the gate referred to in the blog post below is located or why the poster is concerned with it being open?

Thanks!

http://reynoldsplantationblog.com/2012/12/12/security-suggestions-121212-1037am/

I am wondering if there are any Security Camera's at the boat landings and private ramps?

I am also wondering if people along the river have Security Cameras on their own piers since many have very nice boats, wave runners and other items of value.

I don't believe the boat landings have security cameras, but I can't say for sure.

The decals are sticky on the front side. They can't be peeled off and reapplied like a car tag decal can be.

Also forgot to mention that at its biggest point, Reynolds Plantation and associated properties have had more than 500 employees all eligible for access decals.

:thud: :headache: :no: That's a lot of suspects.

Fish bonkers were mentioned previously. I'm not a fishing-type person and so the idea of bonking a fish to death makes me ill... but, I found a fishing forum where crafting your own is discussed. Maybe someone at Lake Oconee has a fish bonker that's unique to the fisherman?

Let's see your fish bonkers - www.ifish.net

how sad for the family to have to go into the home of their parents. Have to see all the memories of 65 years of their parents marriage. jmo

I wouldn't go unless LE was there with me! be too scared.

And some of us right here guessed that was the reason very early on.

I believe the killer was afraid that the pattern of the weapon may have been able to be seen on the head of each victim. Many times a bludgeoning weapon does leave an imprint pattern on the scalp of victims.

Now I wonder if the weapon was even a crowbar and Sills just said that to throw the killer off to give him a false sense of security that LE has it wrong. They may have put that out there not wanting the killer to know they really know exactly what weapon was used.

It could be something with a lot of intricate spirals, deep engraving detail or scroll work.

IMO

BBM

But why not remove the head of Mrs D if the killer used the same object? Time restraints?

I wonder which one died first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member