GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole "exposed trees" in middle of the lake bothered me.

Exposed tress...in the middle where people water ski? :eek:

Your map makes sense. On the Greene Co. side and on the way back to wherever their exit point was. (Lawrence Shoals?)

Seems like there is a ramp on either side of the dam

I haven't been that far up Hwy. 16 in a long time but I don't recall much of anything along that route, if that was point of entry. Ugh.

FWIW, there are boat ramps that aren't necessarily PUBLIC, but are for each Subdivision area that anyone that knows about them can use, wondering if Oconee has those too

I thought this was interesting too, from the linked article:

They put together a 28-page questionnaire of everything law enforcement wanted to know about the retired couple’s habits and to elicit any other clues that could lead to a suspect.

In about three hours, the team was able to cover a lot of ground in a neighborhood of 599 parcels, Sills said.

Investigators are now combing through responses and tracking down any leads and following up with other neighbors who were not at Sunday’s meeting.

"I know who didn’t come and I know who left early,” Sills said. “As I’ve said, everybody’s a suspect besides me, because I know where I was.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/20/310...ew-leads.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

I like the way Sheriff Sills is handling this case. I think he will be successful in solving. He gives a little bit of new info each time he is quoted in the press.

and, gosh, a 28 page questionnaire?! WOW! How intimidating would that be to fill out! :scared: I hope the perp/s are ready for a nice long life in :jail:!!

I was wondering how many wouldnt show up, that's going to look suspicious in and of itself

I'm sure some were working and couldn't get there

Were they all under arrest that they had to stay a certain amount of time??!

Funny Sills said he knew who left "early", what DOES that mean

I wouldnt' have wanted to stay all day either and I am sure people have things to do after they filled out the questionaire, is that all that was required? OR interviews too?

Last thought on this OT. I think I know the town of which you speak. My town was a stopping point between your aunt's town and Chicago and yes, it is all ancient history but there are some stories that live on to this day. ;)

I have and had family all the way up to White county, apparently you didn't talk about it then, started hearing stories not that long ago

According to the forensics guy that was on HLN yesterday, he seemed to think it was totally feasible that it took that long for the body to surface. Sorry I don't have a direct quote or link, maybe someone else remembers this? Perhaps the interview is up on their website? Something to do with the temp of the lake. He wasn't surprised at all that it took so long.

The average for a body to surface is 10 days. Give or take a few days when you factor in water temps and obstacles in the water.

I felt compelled to sign up when I was reading some of the speculation about neighbors, many of whom I know. I think the moderator directed posters away from some of that "sleuthing.' I am a Lake Oconee local and am familiar with the lake and neighborhood. I don't have any theories about the crime that haven't been mentioned here. However, I might be able to comment on specific questions. For example, the neighboring houses are occupied.

Thanks for joining us and giving us a more closer view (so to speak),

Hey just wondering are people in the area scared with this killer(s)on the loose. I mean I would be very freaked!
Or do the locals feel the D's were targeted ? What is the local talk around?

Too much planning went into these murders for the murders to have taken place at different times, IMHOO.

(*IMOO is in my siggy., I AM entitled to give my opinion.)

Could you offer any opinions regarding the actual gate security at GW? Is it possible that a stranger could enter and leave the property without being "noticed"?

Anybody with a valid decal is waved through security. Property owners, contractors, all sorts of service providers who come through regularly don't have to stop. Other people stop and have to be cleared though. My understanding of security provided here was to keep solicitors, door-to-door people out than providing Fort Knox type protection.

So, short answer, anybody who had access to a vehicle with a valid decal would n't raise any suspicion at the gate. The lake has always been impossible to patrol.

I was wondering how many wouldnt show up, that's going to look suspicious in and of itself

I'm sure some were working and couldn't get there

Were they all under arrest that they had to stay a certain amount of time??!

Funny Sills said he knew who left "early", what DOES that mean

I wouldnt' have wanted to stay all day either and I am sure people have things to do after they filled out the questionaire, is that all that was required? OR interviews too?

He has a point to make to someone, he is speaking directly to someone is my thinking on the matter. Maybe some did not complete the 28 pages or half assed completed, did not seem to take it serious as others, and that is what Sills is talking about. My speculations only.

Per WSB:

Sills tells WSB that investigators are looking at the criminal background of every person who lives in Great Waters. Sills believes someone took the head to hide evidence. Sills says no direct person of interest or suspect at this point. More to come from the 90 minute interview with Sheriff Sills at 6 PM on WSB.

My summary. Not verbatim.

Thanks for joining us and giving us a more closer view (so to speak),

Hey just wondering are people in the area scared with this killer(s)on the loose. I mean I would be very freaked!
Or do the locals feel the D's were targeted ? What is the local talk around?

I don't have this formatting down yet. So as a reply to Queen Bee. People here are rattled, stunned, as are all of you. Lots of people have dusted off their handguns and started using alarm systems we had gotten lazy about. I don't sense any panic.

The local talk is mostly disbelief and heartbreak for friends and family. The beheading has given rise to all sorts of speculation. Locals have been assured that the attack was targeted, but no one can think of any reason this couple would be targeted.

Just an opinion on the "meeting" that was held to get the questionnaire filled out.

There were cameras hidden recording everything that went on. Wonder if the recordings were being watched in another room also? License plates were photographed. People were photographed. What an excellent opportunity to profile people's behavior!

If the perp is in the community, would he feel safer going to the meeting or having LE come to his home? He can only dodge filling out those papers so long without casting guilt his way.

He's not smart, he's a coward. What kind of a man would attack and kill two elderly people that were almost 90 years old ??

The only thing I can think of that would be more vulnerable would be a litter of newborn puppies.

Don't give this punk (or punks) any credit for being smart. If anything they are just lucky cowards. That luck is gonna run out though, it's just a matter of time.

It has nothing to do with giving the murderer credit for anything. But to ignore what his intelligence level may be is nonsense. I have no doubt the FBI profilers are also assessing what they believe his IQ could possibly be. The FBI will ignore nothing no matter if they think his intelligence level is beyond normal intelligence. That will be taken into consideration when trying to come up with a profile. Every facet about what he may be is important to the investigation and solving the case.

You seem to think just because he may be intelligent that means I am praising him somehow. Really? Seriously? Now that is downright ridiculous. FGS! Ted Bundy was also a very intelligent sadistic murderer and so many others who commit crimes like this. Not every murder that is committed is done by those with average or low IQs.

Of course he is a coward. I never said he wasn't.:confused:

Lucky how? He seems to have been very thorough in the details of his crimes. Murder cases go unsolved all the time. Around 65% of homicides are solved. Are some of them smart, lucky or stupid? I imagine it runs the gambit.

The FBI must consider everything to come up with as complete of a profile as they can so they will know the kind of individual they are possibly dealing with. I think they already know he is above normal intelligence. I think the garage scene and the disposal scene gives them a glimpse into the intelligence or lack of for the suspect.

The assessment of intelligence can also lead them to someone who may be a professional with college degrees. So I have no clue why you expect me to disregard that he may be very smart since the FBI will not and never do when they are establishing a profile of a murderer.

Question to Lakeoconee?

Welcome! You will probably be bombarded with questions. Thank you for joining and being our eyes on sight.

If you went to the meeting, what was the feeling or air in the room? Were people bothered by the long questionnaire? Was it easy to answer or time consuming? Were there many LE on sight?

Thanks in advance for your answers. :seeya:

Welcome to WS Lakeoconee - my condolences to you and your friends on this terrible loss - not least of which is the loss of privacy and innocence surrounding such an idyllic place... I have some family on Oconee so I know how upset everyone is - I hope that they solve it soon.

I don't have this formatting down yet. So as a reply to Queen Bee. People here are rattled, stunned, as are all of you. Lots of people have dusted off their handguns and started using alarm systems we had gotten lazy about. I don't sense any panic.

The local talk is mostly disbelief and heartbreak for friends and family. The beheading has given rise to all sorts of speculation. Locals have been assured that the attack was targeted, but no one can think of any reason this couple would be targeted.

Welcome lakeoconee! We are so glad you joined us. As for formatting your responses, you are doing great. Just quote the person you are responding to and it makes it easy to follow the conversation.

I'm sending thoughts and prayers to the whole community. What a horrible sad thing for you all to have to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x