GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it proven that a boat was used to access the home based on the apparent use of a boat to place the corpse? Proof or only reasonable assumption?

If a boat was used to access the home, and a sharp cutting instrument was used in the crime, and the boat was a fishing boat, could the cutting tool be something typically used by a fishing "person", like a 10" serrated filet knife. If the beast knew how to use one skillfully, how long would it take? If the tool was then thoroughly cleaned and replaced in its normal location, how could it be found and identified as the weapon?

There would be thousands of such knives in the area.

It still comes to me that the reason the killer went to so much trouble was because it was about the only way the most direct evidence could be hidden.

I actually think the perp left by boat but was already living there when he did the murders. Imo, the only leaving the RP area was done by boat and no need for transportation getting into RP.

As far as a fillet knife. They are very sharp if kept sharpened which most fisherman do but they don't have serrated edges because they are to smoothly cut through the fish filets without having a jagged edge. They are very narrow but have a smooth slender blade.

I still feel the bludgeoning weapon used is very unique. Its not something everyone has, imo and if known it can be linked back to him because others have seen it before in his home, and would remember it. Just my opinion though.

IMO

Just coming back on line again.:)

I wasn't going to mention anything about this but I want to know is anyone else bugged by this?

One thing has nagged at me from the very beginning.

Russ and Shirley seemed to have been extremely well liked and an integral part of their community but yet it took until Tuesday at 10am for their friend to finally go over to check on them.

The Derby Party was suppose to happen Saturday evening or night sometime, iirc.

Why did it take this long for their friend to finally walk over to see if anything was wrong?

Just puzzles the dickens out of me. I just don't see Shirley and Russ the type to just not show up and not call or anything. In fact I don't even think they would ever not show up somewhere they were planning to attend unless an emergency had happened, and I feel even then they would let people know.

It has nagged at me from the time I learned it took until Tuesday to even become worried about them enough to go see about them.

I know this.... if these were my friends and they were always as good as their word about showing up, I would have gone over there immediately after I left the Derby Party to see what could be wrong. Surely whoever this is was trying to reach them repeatedly on their cell phones or land line. Did that not even alarm them?????

I wonder if this strikes LE odd too or is it just me.:floorlaugh:

IMO

Especially when they didn't show up at church on Sunday. Do we know if the garage opened to the front of the house or was it a rear entry? ty

I wasn't going to mention anything about this but I want to know is anyone else bugged by this?

Russ and Shirley seemed to have been extremely well liked and an integral part of their community but yet it took until Tuesday at 10am for their friend to finally go over to check on them.

Why did it take this long for their friend to finally walk over to see if anything was wrong?

Just puzzles the dickens out of me. I just don't see Shirley and Russ the type to just not show up and not call or anything. In fact I don't even think they would ever not show up somewhere they were planning to attend unless an emergency had happened, and I feel even then they would let people know.

It has nagged at me from the time I learned it took until Tuesday to even become worried about them enough to go see about them.

I know this.... if these were my friends and they were always as good as their word about showing up, I would have gone over there immediately after I left the Derby Party to see what could be wrong. Surely whoever this is was trying to reach them repeatedly on their cell phones or land line. Did that not even alarm them?????

IMO

Yes, I get the feeling they were friendly and happy but distant

Some people are that way, they stay away from anything controversial and just enjoy people

Maybe they didn't want anyone to know their personal life or their......past? I know that won't bode well with some, but you just never know

But I did think that was odd, did we discern WHICH neighbor or friend found RD? I was thinking not the stroke victim he read too, probably another or the person he read to may have had someone check on them. IDK

IMO

I've wondered this same very thing. My parents are in their early 80s and there's no way their neighbors would go that long without checking on them, especially if they were expected at a party Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think the perp left by boat but was already living there when he did the murders. Imo, the only leaving the RP area was done by boat and no need for transportation getting into RP.

As far as a fillet knife. They are very sharp if kept sharpened which most fisherman do but they don't have serrated edges because they are to smoothly cut through the fish filets without having a jagged edge. They are very narrow but have a smooth slender blade.

I still feel the bludgeoning weapon used is very unique. Its not something everyone has, imo and if known it can be linked back to him because others have seen it before in his home, and would remember it. Just my opinion though.

IMO

Ugh, I thought of that too, started to mention the filet knife then remembered we use an electric, like turkey knife, no electricity on the boat, well possibly tho, but don't think that would do it

Now a regular filet knife might be the weapon or any long sharp knife

Especially when they didn't show up at church on Sunday. Do we know if the garage opened to the front of the house or was it a rear entry? ty

The tax record sketch shows the garage attached to the front of the house with a front entrance.

IMO

It bothers me too. I mean it was mentioned they had RSVP'd so they were expected to show. I would have called to check on them if they didn't show. And then not showing up at church??? Had their kids tried to call and got no answer, but really thought nothing of it. . . It really bothers me that it took 4days to find Mr. Dermond murdered and headless. I guess no one expects a murder and never thought it was something as horrible as it turned out.

BBM

Not being gross here, but does that mean she was draped over a tree, with just her face and feet in water? If so, maybe that's why the fishermen thought she was a buoy.
Just thinking out loud here. Seems like if she was floating in the water, the wording would be a little different.
:dunno:
I'm sure I am wrong, but it wouldn't be the 1st time.

OMG, yes, the kind that hang on the sides of the boat or on the sides of the dock, they come in all sizes, but not standing upright like the permanent marker buoys that stay in the water, these lay sideways when in the water, like a tube, like a noodle float, but white or blue usually and bigger of course

The tax record sketch shows the garage attached to the front of the house with a front entrance.

I just remembered that it was reported that the neighbor entered through the house, so the garage doors must have been closed. jmo

It bothers me too. I mean it was mentioned they had RSVP'd so they were expected to show. I would have called to check on them if they didn't show. And then not showing up at church??? Had their kids tried to call and got no answer, but really thought nothing of it. . . It really bothers me that it took 4days to find Mr. Dermond murdered and headless. I guess no one expects a murder and never thought it was something as horrible as it turned out.
ANd had they known they were almost 90..................and not 60's

BBM

Not being gross here, but does that mean she was draped over a tree, with just her face and feet in water? If so, maybe that's why the fishermen thought she was a buoy.
Just thinking out loud here. Seems like if she was floating in the water, the wording would be a little different.
:dunno:
I'm sure I am wrong, but it wouldn't be the 1st time.

What I don't understand is how her feet could be down in the water and her face in the water. I'm picturing her amongst the trees with her feet tied to something, but she still floated to the surface and her face was down. She was upright with her face down and her arms were ? tied behind her back and her feet were tied to a stump? It's hard to think about. Sounds like the way she looked when she was found scared the fishermen, but again I think finding any dead body would be scary. I don't think she was draped over a tree or tree stump.

I just remembered that it was reported that the neighbor entered through the house, so the garage doors must have been closed. jmo
Yes, but we don't know if any other doors were reported unlocked, interesting the report stated that the neighbor went in the front door and then to the garage, wonder if the door from inside was open, leading into the garage, unless the neighbor wandered thru trying to find them or was checking to see if the cars were there if he coulcn't see in a garage window

So if no other doors unlocked then, the perp knocked and RD let them in and led them to the garage possibly, (why I asked if he had anyting for sale that he kept in the garage)

or it was before they locked up for the night

IMO

Hindsight is 20/20 and would think their friends feel awful about not escalating sooner . A woman in my neighborhood was deceased THREE months before her body was found . She was estranged from her daughter and apparently no ongoing friends or commitments . Only discovered after HOA continual letters re her not mowing lawn .

So very sad .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but we don't know if any other doors were reported unlocked, interesting the report stated that the neighbor went in the front door and then to the garage, wonder if the door from inside was open, leading into the garage, unless the neighbor wandered thru trying to find them or was checking to see if the cars were there if he coulcn't see in a garage window

So if no other doors unlocked then, the perp knocked and RD let them in and led them to the garage possibly, (why I asked if he had anyting for sale that he kept in the garage)

or it was before they locked up for the night

This is gross but would there be an odor of decomp that lead him to the garage? And I think it is a good possibility the door from the garage to the house was open. jmo

Trying to stick with critical thinking, I'm shooting at my own thoughts and beginning to see another reason why LE is going with the boat only idea.

If the killer(s) used a road vehicle, they would be nuts to take a route out of GW and back to the lake and go through the trouble to place the corpse anywhere in the lake. At the least, if it was a road vehicle they used, they would place the corpse in the most remote location where it would be the hardest to find and as far from the scene as practical.

So if a boat was used for the entire episode, (they) were actually limited by that fact. If they left the scene at dark, got out their fishing gear and went unnoticed, floated back out to the channel and down the lake, waited until they were in a good location and then placed the corpse, that was that.

Is the killer someone that lives on the lake and never needed to do anything but fish awhile before heading back to their own place?

It's possible if there were two, one stayed with the boat, keeping watch?

Good point! Hadn't considered that all anyone really need to do was do the deed and just act like you're fishing. No one would be the wiser. Although now your theory makes me think there might be 3 people involved. One to take of Mrs. Dermond, one to take care of Mr. Dermond and one to keep watch from the boat and you could watch while fishing all the time - nothing fishy about that on a lake.

I see it, kind of hazy, but you can even see the tail light and looks like the rims, kind of sits high?

SO, now the boat theory and the boat ramp theory can be blown out of the water, (no pun intended)

that would make perfect since for them to have just dropped someone on the shore in the wooded area at the tree section of the lake, with a 4 wheel drive jacked up chevy truck

you can even go over some fallen trees if truck isn't too low to the ground

That is VERY interesting, not that THAT truck is the perp necessarily, unless they are CAMPING up in there !

To get from the Dermond's house to the place on the lake where her body was recovered would take an hour or more. Going through two security gates. Traveling miles and miles down a very rough woods road that I seriously doubt anybody but about 100 people could find.

By boat, it would be as little as 10 or 15 minutes, depending on what kind of boat.

Yes, I get the feeling they were friendly and happy but distant

Some people are that way, they stay away from anything controversial and just enjoy people

Maybe they didn't want anyone to know their personal life or their......past? I know that won't bode well with some, but you just never know

But I did think that was odd, did we discern WHICH neighbor or friend found RD? I was thinking not the stroke victim he read too, probably another or the person he read to may have had someone check on them. IDK

I am thankful their name was not released to the media for many reasons .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

To get from the Dermond's house to the place on the lake where her body was recovered would take an hour or more. Going through two security gates. Traveling miles and miles down a very rough woods road that I seriously doubt anybody but about 100 people could find.

By boat, it would be as little as 10 or 15 minutes, depending on what kind of boat.

Boat it is. It is the most simple explanation. :twocents:

The implication and I thought I saw it posted that the white truck may be the perps

I did not see it, was surprised :seeya:

Clarification - having seen this picture, after the body was found, my question/ thought was - would it be possible for the perps to have taken Mrs. D. via boat to their home or the trailer at the boat ramp. And at a later date,
driven down to the lake side as the white truck did, use a canoe or kayak to get into this area of the lake where she was dropped? Just a thought.

Not implying she was taken for ill will. Just thinking of the long boat ride in the dark to deposit her and then back to wherever to get the boat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shirleymae