GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I get the feeling they were friendly and happy but distant

Some people are that way, they stay away from anything controversial and just enjoy people

Maybe they didn't want anyone to know their personal life or their......past? I know that won't bode well with some, but you just never know

But I did think that was odd, did we discern WHICH neighbor or friend found RD? I was thinking not the stroke victim he read too, probably another or the person he read to may have had someone check on them. IDK

I am not sure what you mean by 'they stay away from anything controversial." You lost me although I am hot and tired from being outside working so my brain may be fried.:floorlaugh: What was controversial about the Dermonds?

Why do you get the feeling they were distant? It sounds like they were very approachable and loving to me. What has been disclosed to make you think they were distance?

Are you talking about the Dermonds or the friend that found Russ? I was talking about why the friend didn't come over until Tuesday at 10am.

I don't think they tried to hide it about their son being murdered........is that what you are referring to? They were living right there when they lost him so I am sure those that lived in the community back then already knew about that.

I don't know all of the age groups of those living there but elderly couples do have less friends sometimes due to so many of them dying.

But to me a friend is a friend. If they were worried about them on Tueday then they should have been worried before then when no one had heard from them since May 1st, don't you think?

Sorry, Tomkat for asking for so much clarifications. Its probably just me, and I am the one who is struggling to understand what you actually mean. :D

Think I will jump in the pool in a little while and cool my wittle brain off and see if that helps my cognitive thinking!:floorlaugh:

Just coming back on line again.:)

I wasn't going to mention anything about this but I want to know is anyone else bugged by this?

One thing has nagged at me from the very beginning.

Russ and Shirley seemed to have been extremely well liked and an integral part of their community but yet it took until Tuesday at 10am for their friend to finally go over to check on them.

The Derby Party was suppose to happen Saturday evening or night sometime, iirc.

Why did it take this long for their friend to finally walk over to see if anything was wrong?

Just puzzles the dickens out of me. I just don't see Shirley and Russ the type to just not show up and not call or anything. In fact I don't even think they would ever not show up somewhere they were planning to attend unless an emergency had happened, and I feel even then they would let people know.

It has nagged at me from the time I learned it took until Tuesday to even become worried about them enough to go see about them.

I know this.... if these were my friends and they were always as good as their word about showing up, I would have gone over there immediately after I left the Derby Party to see what could be wrong. Surely whoever this is was trying to reach them repeatedly on their cell phones or land line. Did that not even alarm them?????

I wonder if this strikes LE odd too or is it just me.:floorlaugh:

IMO

Just a thought....

but if everyone was under the impression that there were actually much younger in years, then maybe no one was really all that worried about something being seriously wrong .... like they may have been very ill. Some people are always on the phone everyday telling each other everything and sharing bits of news about themselves or others or commenting on what they have read or heard.

Perhaps they were somewhat independent in nature and not particularly all that close with those in the community as far as telling everyone all of the details of their daily life.

It might have been only after a couple of people began comparing notes; that it was realized that no one had heard from or seen them. That may have taken a few days for that to become clear and someone to actually physically go and check.

There was also something that one of the sons said in a very early article about either Mrs. D or both of them (I don't recall exactly) that they did not gossip. If that is the case, their friends may have felt goosy about asking about them, since it was something that they did not do.

Have there been any 5:00 presses with Sills? Or news of progress? TIA

Is the killer someone that lives on the lake and never needed to do anything but fish awhile before heading back to their own place?

That's been my theory from the beginning. I think the perp. could be a part-time resident, most likely only there on the week-ends and holidays. He could have murdered the Dermonds and been gone by Monday morning.

I am thankful their name was not released to the media for many reasons .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Me too and I am glad they haven't done any press interviews telling how they found the body like most do. No one needs to know who they are but Sills and the investigators.

I don't need or want to know their names but it still does nag me it took many days to even check on the Dermonds.

IMO

Just my thoughts - since they were a couple, people probably didn't give it much concern at first as one would care for the other if either was not feeling well. I would imagine there were a number of calls and messages, but actually just dropping by, is not a common thing.

Also, people in this age range, even in good health, do have good and bad days. Another point is the houses are far from the street so the neighbors are not use to seeing you come and go.

I wonder if the lights were on or off during those 3-4 days? The only two houses I figure who can see the Dermond's house the best are the two across the cove. I wonder if those people noticed lights on all night long or if they saw zero lights at night and thought the Dermonds were out of town.

Just checking in. I just knew y'all were going to say an arrest had been made.

I don't think we know who hosted the Kentucky Derby Party. For all we know it could have been at the country club, hosted by several couples. We don't know how small or large this party was. I completely understand why the host didn't call and ask why someone didn't attend their party.

Trying to stick with critical thinking, I'm shooting at my own thoughts and beginning to see another reason why LE is going with the boat only idea.

If the killer(s) used a road vehicle, they would be nuts to take a route out of GW and back to the lake and go through the trouble to place the corpse anywhere in the lake. At the least, if it was a road vehicle they used, they would place the corpse in the most remote location where it would be the hardest to find and as far from the scene as practical.

So if a boat was used for the entire episode, (they) were actually limited by that fact. If they left the scene at dark, got out their fishing gear and went unnoticed, floated back out to the channel and down the lake, waited until they were in a good location and then placed the corpse, that was that.

Is the killer someone that lives on the lake and never needed to do anything but fish awhile before heading back to their own place?

It's possible if there were two, one stayed with the boat, keeping watch?

My assumption was that the cadaver dogs led LE directly to the dock and water, hence the initial search of the water surrounding the Dermonds dock.

I think finding Shirley in the water just solidified what the dogs already told them.

1.Maybe the Ds didn't like answering machines. Maybe people, including their children,always left them messages, and they never or rarely checked the machine. So if people/neighbors left messages they weren't expecting a prompt reply.
My mama NEVER checked her machine. I'd go to her house and there would be 20+ messages unplayed!Now If she doesn't answer I just "dial up" the cameras in her condo. Allows me to sleep at night.

2.And I did some research on cell tower pings. LE can request a "cell tower dump" with a warrant or subpoena. Happens all the time by LE, so that should tighten the...Cell tower data dump and the hard drive data - can be synced by time stamps I think.

Richard Elliott on WSB now.

WSB TV
6 PM

- folks say not living in fear bc not random act
- folks uneasy, but not fearful; have always been safe there
- Sheriff feels personal responsibility to protect community; not let them down
- folks think murders will b solved, but may take some time
- KD (son): haven't started making funeral arrangements yet, but may start today

WSB TV
6 PM

- folks say not living in fear bc not random act
- folks uneasy, but not fearful; have always been safe there
- Sheriff feels personal responsibility to protect community; not let them down
- folks think murders will b solved, but may take some time
- KD (son): haven't started making funeral arrangements yet, but may start today

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate everyone here posting the pressers. Good job, y'all.

Just coming back on line again.:)

I wasn't going to mention anything about this but I want to know is anyone else bugged by this?

One thing has nagged at me from the very beginning.

Russ and Shirley seemed to have been extremely well liked and an integral part of their community but yet it took until Tuesday at 10am for their friend to finally go over to check on them.

The Derby Party was suppose to happen Saturday evening or night sometime, iirc.

Why did it take this long for their friend to finally walk over to see if anything was wrong?

Just puzzles the dickens out of me. I just don't see Shirley and Russ the type to just not show up and not call or anything. In fact I don't even think they would ever not show up somewhere they were planning to attend unless an emergency had happened, and I feel even then they would let people know.

It has nagged at me from the time I learned it took until Tuesday to even become worried about them enough to go see about them.

I know this.... if these were my friends and they were always as good as their word about showing up, I would have gone over there immediately after I left the Derby Party to see what could be wrong. Surely whoever this is was trying to reach them repeatedly on their cell phones or land line. Did that not even alarm them?????

I wonder if this strikes LE odd too or is it just me.:floorlaugh:

IMO

I have thought about this a lot. The Dermonds seemed quite social and active, especially for their age, I mean they moved into their current large home in their early or mid 70's while most people that age are downsizing, and president of the bridge club, and an avid walker, socializing at parties. Even so, they were in their late 80's so I would be very surprised if their neighbors and friends didn't get concerned when they didn't show for the party. I mean, if Mrs. Dermond had slipped and fell on some water in the bathroom or kitchen and then Mr. Dermond heard her cry out and he came running to help, then he fell, they both could have been lying there for days and died. But even moreso, I wonder if family members had tried to call. I even wondered if a family member called the neighbors when they didn't hear anything. I wonder how often the children and grandchildren talked to the Dermonds. Of course, they probably would have called security or even the police to do a welfare check if they were concerned.

http://m.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1a885b74-e12b-11e3-99d6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

Many interesting points made.

Sills says:

May not be a local, just someone familiar with Lake Oconee

He isn't saying he's ruled out the family, however, he sees no reason to believe the THREE children had anything to do with it.

Says he's convinced they knew the perps and opened their door to them.

Interesting, very interesting. I do believe Sills has a sneaking suspicion....

The sheriff said he believes her body was taken to the area by a boat and disposed of – that it did not float that far from the home – and the location convinced him a boat was involved in the crimes.

“There is no doubt about that now,” he said Tuesday night. “It doesn’t mean that there couldn’t have been one (person) in a car and one in a boat. The only other possibility is that she was picked up elsewhere” before she was killed, he said.

http://m.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1a885b74-e12b-11e3-99d6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

Sills says:

He isn't saying he's ruled out the family, however, he sees no reason to believe the THREE children had anything to do with it.

Also interesting from that link, Sills stated that there might have even been 3 or 4 people involved!

Sills says:

I think he's saying it may not be a local to calm the community. He's saying that so the killers will think he's not on their trail while in the meantime he's having the camera video disc dissected in Quantico, Virginia with high-tech equipment. Kind of a contradiction on saying he hasn't ruled out the family, but believes the 3 children have nothing to do with it. I think he's buying time. Letting the killers cool their heels while he waits on evidence that will prove poof-positive who committed this unfathomable murder. I hope it's soon. I lay down after work, fell asleep and had the most horrible dream. I hate dreams where I'm being chased. . .

Also interesting from that link, Sills stated that there might have even been 3 or 4 people involved!

:thud: I am thinking at least 3 :put em up: :put em up: :put em up: :nerves:
:runaway:

P.S.: I said 3 perps earlier. Does anybody think I'm on the suspect list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadgett inspeccion