GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped for focus

Yes, Plan A vs. Plan B concept keeps running thru my mind.

Did the perp(s) plan this when stone cold sober?
Did they cover the various considerations to carry out the plan successfully?
i.e., was it WELL PLANNNED to achieve their mission?
Did PLAN A work out as they anticipated?

OR
Did they start with their carefully considered plan A, which went sideways for some reason(s) (e.g., unexpected visitor rings doorbell and interrupts their conversation w the D's, or UPS delivers package or someone shows up at D's dock), then they went to Plan B and it did not work, then downhill into ad-libbing, then all the way to panicky actions on their part?

OR
Did perp(s) PLAN CONTACT w the D's that day (i.e., they intended to have conversation, maybe a verbal request of the D's) and emotions flared and it all SUDDENLY ESCALATED out of control. They did not have a Plan B.

OR
Did perp(s) have UNPLANNED CONTACT w the D's that day and emotions flared and it all SUDDENLY ESCALATED out of control. Since contact was unplanned, there was not Plan A or Plan B

Idea of
Killing RD, beheading him, removing head, leaving the rest in garage;
Killing SD and transporting her entire body w them---
imo, seems unlikely to be Plan A.
Unless it is a thrill-kill of a psychopath trying to confound LE & public.
(Once again, I'm thinking of Lauren Giddings' 2011 death and the monster Steve McDaniel, who entered guilty plea last month, who, imo, wanted to see if he could commit 'the perfect murder' as he thought, imo, nobody would suspect him)

End of ramble. :seeya:

My thought processes have been similar to yours. If more than one perp, I can almost hear one of them saying, "Dude! They're gonna trace that (knife, machete, bullet) back to you!" Then, as you say, "ad-libbing" begins. Living in Georgia, to me, the death of Meredith Emerson is still sorta fresh and tests the limits of what one lone, scrawny-looking psychopath is capable of. Additionally, he killed and dismembered an elderly couple in NC.

There are garden-variety petty criminals who would knock an elderly couple in the head, yes, but THIS level of depravity with the Dermonds exceeds that. Or maybe it wasn't so much depravity as practicality. Maybe Mr. D. was too heavy for perp to move and dispose of the entire body, so the perp did something he could never have imagined himself doing.

Seems there are holes in every theory posed--mine no exception!

I missed the HLN special. Can anyone provide synopsis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5F3lvkQQvI

Very interesting.

Point: No signs of sexual assault (on SD). "...fully clothed..." LE implies both corpses found with clothing normal for daytime but not for going to a formal event. How does this fact affect the motive?

LE says of moving SD's corpse to the lake: To buy time. How does moving a body buy time?

PS: Link to Telegraph video's: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thetelegraphmidga&page=2

<BBM for focus>
Due to the decapitation of RD, and the remains of SD being in the water for up to two weeks, coupled with the 'fully clothed' explanation for ruling out a sexual assault. I am skeptical of this conclusion as being factual for multiple reasons..

This what is worring me,"Did I Hear him correctly?" i do not have the ability to replay the segment. Does anyone else remember his wording? I DO NOT want to put words in the sheriffs mouth!

Please anyone who listened please comment.
I'll rewind and listen. BRB

It seems I am the only one who heard the sheriff say anything about opening the door. I am not sure if I should delete my post and wait for transcript. Could the mods comment.

In the HLN segment....I listened for the answer the sheriff gave (he parsed his words) reguarding if the Dermonds were acquainted with the murder's. He said that they "opened" their door to the killers. Now,this places both Russell and Shirley inside the residence. Now,it would be interesting to know who opened the door. So,at this point can we include a home invasion...that I would assume means perps having came prepared for executing a crime. So,perhaps we can go to motive. But wait...we already 'think we know' no property was taken. Not sure if my assumptions are right?

Now,please correct anything in my post which is inacurate. MOO

"I have always said that,” he repeated Tuesday evening. “I don’t mean that it is a family member or neighbor, but it was someone they would open the door for.”
http://m.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1a885b74-e12b-11e3-99d6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

I don't doubt that is what he said. The security system may show exactly what time they shut the alarm off to open the door. -if it was late at night
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Sorry, it too far back....can only rewind 1 hr.

Oh wait!!!!
They're going to replay it in a few min I think!

It seems I am the only one who heard the sheriff say anything about opening the door. I am not sure if I should delete my post and wait for transcript. Could the mods comment.

In the HLN segment....I listened for the answer the sheriff gave (he parsed his words) reguarding if the Dermonds were acquainted with the murder's. He said that they "opened" their door to the killers. Now,this places both Russell and Shirley inside the residence. Now,it would be interesting to know who opened the door. So,at this point can we include a home invasion...that I would assume means perps having came prepared for executing a crime. So,perhaps we can go to motive. But wait...we already 'think we know' no property was taken. Not sure if my assumptions are right?

Now,please correct anything in my post which is inacurate. MOO

I did hear it. I wasn't sure if he literally meant physically "opened their door" or that someone they had previously had in their home as in "opened their hearts", trusted at one point.

Sorry to blubber but whenever I see that sweet photo of the Dermond's singing in church, it brings me to tears. Please excuse ramble of my personal speculation.

Planned/targeted murder, no force, familiar with area/lake/home or given instructions by someone who is, used boat, enough maturity to use restraint and leave clean scene, did not appear to want Mrs. D quickly found, possibly decapitated Mr. D to hide evidence (DNA, fibers or weapon).

Something like this takes effort and calculation. Not spur of the moment. What is motive?

- Theft? What could they plan to take by boat (or even vehicle) without suspicion? Something small, high dollar. Doubtful on cash (who keeps enough in their home worth a planned double murder?) or credit/debit cards (too obvious to use). Maybe killer knew they had something extremely valuable in their home - something they'd kill to get due to desperation/greed. Did Dermonds collect anything (coins/WWII relics/jewelry, anything rare, etc.)? Maybe they considered selling something and it was recently appraised. Or they talked about the item to someone in confidence. Or maybe someone did not want anyone else having this item.

- Maybe someone involved is nervous because it did not go as planned or they were not expecting so much attention from federal agents. Change in demeanor could be obvious to someone who knows them. Can family chip in to increase reward money?

Fighting in a World War, raising four kids, building a successful business and all while maintaining a reputation for being nice, caring people ... The Dermonds deserved the upmost respect - not forced to end their lives in the hands of someone so pathetic.

I think LE will solve this.

Sent with my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I have always said that,&#8221; he repeated Tuesday evening. &#8220;I don&#8217;t mean that it is a family member or neighbor, but it was someone they would open the door for.&#8221;
http://m.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1a885b74-e12b-11e3-99d6-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

I don't doubt that is what he said. The security system may show exactly what time they shut the alarm off to open the door. -if it was late at night
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Now,that makes sense! He chooses his words so carefully...he is only going divulge what he wants us to know.

Thanks to Xara for going to all the trouble of going to all the trouble to replay the segment.

If anyone finds the transcript for the interview on HLN could they please post it.

The last thing I want to do is mislead everyone!

I did hear it. I wasn't sure if he literally meant physically "opened their door" or that someone they had previously had in their home as in "opened their hearts", trusted at one point.

Yes! He was parsing his words. Thank-you so much for your post. You very well may have saved my sanity.:smile:

Now,that makes sense! He chooses his words so carefully...he is only going divulge what he wants us to know.

Thanks to Xara for going to all the trouble of going to all the trouble to replay the segment.

If anyone finds the transcript for the interview on HLN could they please post it.

The last thing I want to do is mislead everyone!

Another segment coming up next on HLN

I do not believe killer is someone that owns property in Great Waters. A murder in the neighborhood would bring down property values and sales.

Unless someone is being foreclosed on!

Sills on phone with VP now.

ETA: Am I the only one here?
:scared:

He definitely said they opened the door for them.

Another segment coming up next on HLN

Now...i heard not forced entry..."opened door to". What did you and Plumiria hear?"

Did I get context right? When he is talking about no forced entry...he kind of fades out then I hear "opened door to". What do ou hear?

Now...i heard not forced entry..."opened door to". What did you and Plumiria hear?"

Did I get context right? When he is talking about no forced entry...he kind of fades out then I hear "opened door to". What do ou hear?

That's what I heard.
And he has never eliminated the family.

JMO.....but I think he is just assuming that they opened the door because there was no forced entry.

That's what I heard.

Thanks,I think what is so difficult he digresses from the question of "what leads you to believe it was personal". He is so careful that your not sure if he is straying from the main point. So when you hear "open door to" your are conflicted as to if you heard him right.

Thanks to everyone for clariflying his comment. And as I said to Plumeria5 thanks for saving my sanity! :loveyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member