GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve done about all we can do,” he tiredly said Saturday morning.

He also gave his investigators the weekend off because the case is now focused on paper trails, legal filings and tracking down leads in the business community that’s shut down until Tuesday. Although Sills knows the respite is healthy for all who have been living and breathing the case nearly every waking moment, he would prefer to be researching a major break in the case that would find the killer.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/311...o-effect.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

I read this as we have done all we can do in regard to processing the scene and chasing down leads. All that remains is continued examination of finance, relationships (both business and personal) and witht eh holiday weekend this is a good time to give my investigators a break to catch their breath and come back with fresh eyes/minds on Tuesday.

Also I note the sheriff IMO is speaking about his own department's investigators. It is MOO that the FBI is not taking the weekend off and they are still very involved in this investigation.

Has it been established that the Dermond house had a security system? Would such a security system require that it be cycled in some fashion whenever the homeowner went in and out the front door or any other door? Is there a link to some statement about the actual Dermond home security system in use at the time of the crime that would indicate how it worked?

Has it been established that the Dermond house had a security system? Would such a security system require that it be cycled in some fashion whenever the homeowner went in and out the front door or any other door? Is there a link to some statement about the actual Dermond home security system in use at the time of the crime that would indicate how it worked?

“They had a security system. And they always kept their doors locked,” Keith Dermond said. “They were religious about that.”
http://m.ajc.com/news/news/body-found-at-lake-oconee/nfyLR/

I have no idea what kind or what it could do...
That's what security systems have done for years from what I understand. That is my opinion only.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

This morning I went out to water plants and discovered our small garage overhead door open and the lights on.

That garage leads into the big garage that leads into the house.

It was like that all night.

So unusual things do happen in neighborhoods.

I am still in shock over that discovery because my husband is one to not even leave the door open when working in the yard.

With today's security systems if the Dermond's had upgraded from their original system, they could have even "opened the door" for the killer remotely. From their cell phone.
That could be how Sherrif Sills knew one of them opened the door. That also gives me a reason to think that maybe they were not at their home when they were killed.
Hmm.... more thoughts to add to this case do not help me come to any conclusion I can stick with.
Moo

This morning I went out to water plants and discovered our small garage overhead door open and the lights on.

I am still in shock over that discovery because my husband is one to not even leave the door open when working in the yard.

How spooky. :scared: So, did hubby fess up to leaving the garage door open or do you think you had unknown overnight visitors?? Very creepy, indeed.

He also gave his investigators the weekend off because the case is now focused on paper trails, legal filings and tracking down leads in the business community....

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/3113748/dermond-slayings-expected-to-effect.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

There's the closing in of the perp

my humble opinion

* Reason #22 that the Elite GBI Special Agents should have been requested in the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation investigation. http://gbi.georgia.gov/

The Memorial Day holiday weekend would be an excellent time to establish info road blocks and to obtain information from part time residents of RP & GW.. All PCSO personnel should be working this weekend, imo.

'Predators and other violent felons do not work M/F 9 to 5PM, taking holidays off'.. JMHO

"Sills realizes most of those out enjoying the lake also will be mindful of what happened and will be on the lookout for anything unusual."

"His deputies will be patrolling the lake as usual for the kickoff of summer and will make sure there is no trespassing onto the Dermond property, he warned."

http://m.macon.com/?cu=spreed:/9678733
I know. It sounds like he's hoping someone on or around the lake this weekend will stumble upon the head. They very well may!

Maybe he is hoping people will get to talking about the case and decide to phone a tip in after a little liquid courage maybe?

Is there a service planned for the Dermonds now?
I know I heard it would be private.
Moo

I was thinking about what Oceanblueeyes said in an earlier post about elderly people and Ponzi schemes. While I would assume the majority of Great Waters homeowners are extremely well educated and obviously financially savvy, it is not beyond comprehension that they could fall into a scheme like that. Financial products are so massively complicated these days, it is virtually impossible for an average investor to tell a Bernie Madoff from a reputable investment group. And put on top of that the fact that most elderly people don't use computers (and I would put money on the fact The Dermonds didn't. They didn't even use a debit card so I would imagine RD did NOT use the internet for brokerage information or financial products.) So, in thinking about it, I'd imagine there are quite a few hedge fund advisors and the like that can afford a lovely vacation home in RP. It wouldn't be unheard of for neighbors to invest heavily with an acquaintance; it's the way business was conducted back in the day-over a round of golf and a martini at the Country club.

Perhaps RD tried to pull out money from such an investment in order to finance something with his sons and repeatedly got the brush off to the point that he made the realization that the capital group was essentially a Ponzi scheme. And maybe the acquaintance panicked...big time. It wouldn't be the first time this happened. I'm quite sure I've seen at least two or three 48 Hours Investigates or the like, just like this. Well, minus the beheading.

But, it also occurred to me that maybe RD found out who burglarized the RP developer's home? Reading the article brought back a lot of things that were written in the RP blog. Residents were infuriated that certain people who caused the RP bankruptcy walked away with their pockets lined gold from the MetLife buyout while residents lost their deposits and property value. When I read about the burglary, that was all I could think about. Was this man targeted by someone who didn't need the money from the stolen items, but rather as a 'screw u' type message? And the guns that were taken...could it be that they were antiques? After all, certainly the Great Waters residents could afford very rare and collectable weapons...probably more likely in This neighborhood than some cheap 22 kept in a bedside drawer for protection. Couldn't such a gun have a very heavy end with ornamental scrollwork that could leave a very distinct impression? And would such a weapon not take an unusual size of ammo? Or perhaps in its antiquated design, leave a bullet with enough markings that LE would know the type of antique gun it was?

Maybe RD found out who burglarized that home and was threatening to out them. If it was a neighbor and a businessman, it could damage their reputation beyond repair, let alone the criminal charges that would follow...

* Reason #22 that the GBI should have been requested in the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation investigation.

The Memorial Day holiday weekend would be an excellent time to establish info road blocks and to obtain information from part time residents of RP & GW.. All PCSO personnel should be working this weekend, imo.

'Predators and other violent felons do not work M/F 9 to 5PM, taking holidays off'.. JMHO

Exactly. Well said, FF. While I understand Sheriff Sills needs to be the T-Rex in this investigation, IMO, he is squandering a valuable resource by not utilizing the GBI.
Being a holiday weekend, all types will be enjoying the lake and nearby campgrounds. Why not employ roadblocks? Seems like to me, that all kinds of info could be gathered, especially from residents who don't live there year round. Lots of times, people don't even realize something they saw or heard could be important to the investigation.
At the very least, set up roadblocks, pass out flyers and man the tip lines. MOO

I was kind of surprised to read the Sheriff saying these million dollar homes are vacation homes to many.

I thought all along it was a community of full time residents.

One of the very first articles I read said that there are many homes on the lake that are owned by people who work in Atlanta and come to the lake on the week-ends and/or holidays. I think the perp. is a part-time resident.

The only motive for this crime that makes sense to me is plain pure crazy evil. It takes a different kind of crazy to behead a dead elderly man. I can't see this being done due to finances or revenge or even anger. If someone didn't have it in their soul to behead Mr. D. then I just don't believe he could have done so. That's why I don't think the beheading was an after thought or done as a reaction to whatever may have happened; i.e., to cover an accidental death or remove evidence. Only two possibilities make any sense to me whatsoever: 1) a sociopathic predator who was acquainted with the Dermonds, who had watched and waited for the time to strike or 2) someone much, much closer to them who hated them very much, who is a heavy drug user, who believes, for some reason, that they owed him something (respect, an apology, support).

MOO.

Universal remote controls can be purchased many places. If your opener is on same frequency as a neighbor they can open your door ( or change your tv channel if your tv remote is on same frequency as neighbor) Someone could have opened the Ds garage door with a universal remote, too.

Since I see no evidence of family involvement I think it has more to do with protecting a secret. A secret that lays right there inside of GW.

Something the Dermonds became aware of and whatever that secret is the killer thought it was serious enough that if known it could destroy his life as he has known it. He felt the only way to protect it was to murder the two people who knew.

He murdered them because he was trying to protect his own personal secret and did this for his own self preservation.

IMO

This is one of my theories as well. Right now, anyway.

Since I see no evidence of family involvement I think it has more to do with protecting a secret. A secret that lays right there inside of GW.

Something the Dermonds became aware of and whatever that secret is the killer thought it was serious enough that if known it could destroy his life as he has known it. He felt the only way to protect it was to murder the two people who knew.

He murdered them because he was trying to protect his own personal secret and did this for his own self preservation.

IMO

This is my theory as well. Right now, anyway.

I agree with all of OBE's except my perp does not live in the community, however accesses it through the lake and may be associated loosely with someone within it. But as to motive, yes. Dead on IMO. Self preservation, selfish concerns over a reveal of something life altering/shattering.

I do believe the security system being turned off is crucial in establishing the timeframe of this occurrence. I do think water transportation had to be involved, at least in the disposal of Mrs. D's body.

An important part in solving this crime, I think, is to distinguish what the evidence may point to as the motive of the crime versus what the evidence supports as an attempt to conceal the crime. There may be a mixed answer.

From what I have read here, there are five thoughts on the removal of Mr. D's head: 1) To remove evidence such as bullet, a bite mark, a marking from a particular baseball bat, or bodily fluids, 2) a ritualistic serial type killer collecting a souvenir, 3) A cartel, or some sort of Mafia affiliated crime or criminally associated venture, where the head is collected as collateral, or to send a message to a as of yet unnamed individual, 4) an attempt at dismemberment that was either interrupted or turned out to be too hard to complete and 5) a completely angry, paranoid individual with either displaced anger toward our target or someone like him.

Some of these suggest a motive and some just suggest a hidden motive with an attempt to cover up the crime.

SS:- Well one thing that we believe is uh, because there was no forced entry or anything disturbed in the home, *that leads us to a logical conclusion in that they knew the individual they opened the door for and that in and of itself is a personal connection.*

Sills quote during V. Politans interview.

As far as the door being opened, the security system they had would document what time it was armed and unarmed. It may have also documented at what time which doors and widows were opened and closed.
For instance,if it was armed at 10:30pm and unarmed at 2:20am -door opened and shut then never rearmed. It's safe to assume someone rang and they answered the door, allowing them in.
While investigating,
If after looking at a few months of security records and the Dermond's were in the habit of arming and disarming at the same times every day, yet never at 2:20am. It's safe to assume this was not a normal activity and might have something to do with their murders.

Remember security systems lower home insurance. If you get robbed and your windows were all open and you didn't arm your system the insuance is gonna know.

As far as knowing it was a homicide. If she was hog tied or strapped to a tree under the water it's safe to assume she didn't get that way by herself.

Police can't release all the details before a suspect is found and arrested. That information has to be protected for trial.

***Graphic***
Her body had no obvious signs of trauma. She wasn't decapitated. A body in the lake for two weeks is barely human.
It may be covered in adipocere or if you touch them in some places the skin may literally fall apart.
Without an autopsy there's no way to tell what was caused by decomp and what came before death.

I wish I hadn't Googled adipocere.

I don't think the murders or confrontation happened at night, due to Sills stating Mrs. D was in regular day clothes. Unless they were confronted at night and made to change into regular clothes. I don't recall Sills stating what Mr. D was wearing, unless I missed it.

One theory is someone they knew - related or not - was denied a "loan" by the Dermonds and was incensed that the couple, who he feels has more than enough money to spare, told him no.

Or, the Dermonds demanded payment on a previous loan. Again, with the perp feeling the Desmonds have more than enough money, the perp figured that he won't have to pay back a dead man.

IMO, MOO, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members