GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I went out to water plants and discovered our small garage overhead door open and the lights on.

That garage leads into the big garage that leads into the house.

It was like that all night.

So unusual things do happen in neighborhoods.

I am still in shock over that discovery because my husband is one to not even leave the door open when working in the yard.

Its so scary when someone invades onto your property. I had a sensor light and it would go on and off where I unscrewed the bulb. It was nerve wracking.

Now if yr DH left door open thats one thing but for the light left on is scary. That is why my family has surv cameras. I saw a shadow one morning going across my window but we didnt see anything on the tape.

VP:- So a personal connection? *Not or doesn't mean that they knew, that you believe they knew the murderer or murderers, versus some sort of vendetta?
SS:- It could be either one but I'm leaning towards the uh, former that they knew them in some way. That doesn't necessarily mean they were friends, but uh, someone they knew.

Source:http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/05/23/dermond-murder-mystery-beheading-georgia-lake-oconee

[gngr~snap Thank so much for the transcript of this interview]

Trying to brainstorm “that they knew them in some way”

Mr. & Mrs. D. seemed to be pretty worldly, but living in a community such as this would they have thought twice about opening the door to someone that they might not have personally know if it was:

Someone in a RP security uniform
Someone in a Putnam County LE uniform
Someone in a UPS, Fed-Ex, or USPS uniform
Someone holding a bouquet of flowers or a live plant
Someone in a recognizable RP uniform; waitress or golf attire from country club, lawn servicing company, or someone that was wearing something that they were familiar with.
Someone in a suit and tie wearing an ID from their homeowners or auto insurance, Security Company or even someone with an RP Home Owners Assoc ID.

The location of their driveway and the view of the driveway or road from the front door would, at least to me, have something to do with this. I would think that you would not open your door to any type of service type person, unless you could see a vehicle that would then match that service. Time of day would likely not be as great of an issue if it was someone having to do with any type of security or LE position.

What time was the Kentucky derby?

If they were going to Derby party the party is always scheduled at the time of the derby.
You eat and drink and bet on a horse. PPL are usually very dressed up and its a fun party.

It had to be morning this evil entered their lives!

Maybe one of the murderers hid inside of a workers van......easy way to sneak in.

What time was the Kentucky derby?

If they were going to Derby party the party is always scheduled at the time of the derby.
You eat and drink and bet on a horse. PPL are usually very dressed up and its a fun party.

It had to be morning this evil entered their lives!

2014 Kentucky Derby Viewing Info

Date: Saturday, May 3

When: Coverage begins at 4 p.m. ET

Post Time: 6:24 p.m. ET

TV: NBC

Live Stream: NBCSports.com

I do believe the security system being turned off is crucial in establishing the timeframe of this occurrence. I do think water transportation had to be involved, at least in the disposal of Mrs. D's body.

An important part in solving this crime, I think, is to distinguish what the evidence may point to as the motive of the crime versus what the evidence supports as an attempt to conceal the crime. There may be a mixed answer.

From what I have read here, there are five thoughts on the removal of Mr. D's head: 1) To remove evidence such as bullet, a bite mark, a marking from a particular baseball bat, or bodily fluids, 2) a ritualistic serial type killer collecting a souvenir, 3) A cartel, or some sort of Mafia affiliated crime or criminally associated venture, where the head is collected as collateral, or to send a message to a as of yet unnamed individual, 4) an attempt at dismemberment that was either interrupted or turned out to be too hard to complete and 5) a completely angry, paranoid individual with either displaced anger toward our target or someone like him.

Some of these suggest a motive and some just suggest a hidden motive with an attempt to cover up the crime.

Or to Terrorize and get someones attention.
Mr. and Mrs. D were the innocents and were used to send a message. JMO

After reading most of the posts in this thread, I feel the need to state my opinion. I am hoping that LE is well on its way to an arrest for this horrendous crime. I can't imagine the type of monster and coward who could commit this atrocity.

I am a believer of Occam's Razor. Simply put, it is a philosophy that the simplest, obvious, and least complicated, explanation for a mystery, is the most probable. Having said this, I believe that someone close to the Dermonds was responsible. Also, this person or persons had something to gain (probably financial). I do like the theory that it could have been someone who tried to con them, and they were outed. But still the perpetrator(s) were known to the victims. Most crimes are committed by those known to the victim.

We all have our own opinions, but I think we all want justice for the Dermonds. :twocents:

IMHO

We’ve done about all we can do,” he tiredly said Saturday morning.

He also gave his investigators the weekend off because the case is now focused on paper trails, legal filings and tracking down leads in the business community that’s shut down until Tuesday. Although Sills knows the respite is healthy for all who have been living and breathing the case nearly every waking moment, he would prefer to be researching a major break in the case that would find the killer.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/311...o-effect.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

I read this as we have done all we can do in regard to processing the scene and chasing down leads. All that remains is continued examination of finance, relationships (both business and personal) and witht eh holiday weekend this is a good time to give my investigators a break to catch their breath and come back with fresh eyes/minds on Tuesday.

Also I note the sheriff IMO is speaking about his own department's investigators. It is MOO that the FBI is not taking the weekend off and they are still very involved in this investigation.

I really think this "vacation" from the investigation this weekend is some sort of ploy by LE/GBI/FBI to lure the killers or someone with info out into the open. I just don't think they'd take a break from this case with the intensity in which they've gone after tips, evidence and clues. MOO

Doubting Thomas here! The sheriff and his troopers may not be on the lake. I cannot imagine they have this busy weekend off with traffic as it usually is. Also, with the FBI on the case, the neighborhood is being watched for those weekend and holiday only residents. Would not surprise me if there isn't an Agent in the monitor room at the gate with an employee to identify each car coming in.

As mentioned upthread ^^^^, there may be great information to be gathered this weekend. Perhaps with so many on the lake, the perp will get brave enough to cruise back into the cove for a look? Just don't think FBI is going to miss this opportunity.

From Sills comment sounding like paper trails to follow up on, the camera recording sent to Quantico may have some valuable information on it that will seal the deal!

The only motive for this crime that makes sense to me is plain pure crazy evil. It takes a different kind of crazy to behead a dead elderly man. I can't see this being done due to finances or revenge or even anger. If someone didn't have it in their soul to behead Mr. D. then I just don't believe he could have done so. That's why I don't think the beheading was an after thought or done as a reaction to whatever may have happened; i.e., to cover an accidental death or remove evidence. Only two possibilities make any sense to me whatsoever: 1) a sociopathic predator who was acquainted with the Dermonds, who had watched and waited for the time to strike or 2) someone much, much closer to them who hated them very much, who is a heavy drug user, who believes, for some reason, that they owed him something (respect, an apology, support).

MOO.

I choose door number 2.

Some of my thoughts on posts; snips of posts and BBM for focus.

So many possible theories covered here so far; surely the reality falls within the posts and hopes that one day all will be told. Thanks everyone for your posts. I am glad to hear the Sheriff is giving investigators some time off over the weekend. (although it is possible mind talk to the perp). These folks have been working non-stop for 3 weeks - high pressure and no doubt long hours. They need some R & R to allow their mind to do some processing. Being more relaxed and away from the stress, they could have a realization or idea that will bring answers to their questions. Or, have a brainstorm of something that needs to be checked, done or determined. No one will be at the top of their game after 15 days of high stress. I think the GBI/FBI will be filling gaps to help.

Exactly., he is squandering a valuable resource by not utilizing the GBI. ......At the very least, set up roadblocks, pass out flyers and man the tip lines. MOO

Do we know (been clearly stated by LE) that local LE is not utilizing the GBI? It is my opinion that the GBI is involved very much. My reason for this, in addition to their desire to assist local LE, is that some of the residents of RP et.al are very well heeled and have let the Governor know they expect GBI help solve the case. Having had a career in a state agency, those with $$ have the ear of the Governor and other heads of Departments. They may be working stealthy, but I think they are working it.

From what I have read here, there are five thoughts on the removal of Mr. D's head: 1) To remove evidence such as bullet, a bite mark, a marking from a particular baseball bat, or bodily fluids, 2) a ritualistic serial type killer collecting a souvenir, 3) A cartel, or some sort of Mafia affiliated crime or criminally associated venture, where the head is collected as collateral, or to send a message to a as of yet unnamed individual, 4) an attempt at dismemberment that was either interrupted or turned out to be too hard to complete and 5) a completely angry, paranoid individual with either displaced anger toward our target or someone like him.
Some of these suggest a motive and some just suggest a hidden motive with an attempt to cover up the crime.

Jabarn, you did an excellent job of including the possibilities covered in this Thread. Thank you. I just have to get up on this :fence: because each item listed seems equally possible knowing what we know at this point.

We all have our own opinions, but I think we all want justice for the Dermonds. :twocents:IMHO

Yes. wildebeest, something we can all agree on for sure.

yes, those investigator who are actively investigating THIS case are off. I did not get the impression from Sills that his whole department is off during this busy holiday weekend. I am sure the officers who are on duty have instructions to be on the lookout for specific developments/clues/etc, and if something should develop that seems to indicate it needs immediate followup I have NO question those investigators' days off will be interrupted.

just my own

Behavioral Profiling..
Interview with former FBI Profiler Pete Klismet

http://profilesofmurder.com/2013/08/18/interview-with-former-fbi-profiler-pete-klismet/

IMO I bet this profile will fit to a T.

Organized offenders tend to be high in the birth order of their family. They are very intelligent but often were underachievers in both school and life. Most of them have a live-in partner, are socially adept, and will follow the coverage of their crimes in the media very carefully. Contrary to popular belief, a killer of this nature, even a serial killer, is not “crazy.” Quite the opposite is true. They also “hide in plain sight,” and when identified are a complete surprise to people who know them and thought they were “perfectly normal.”

This was probably posted already.

"There is "definitely no doubt about it" that Russell Dermond's head was cut off and Shirley's body dumped was to "conceal evidence, buy time and obstruct" roadblocks in our investigation. Does it show depravity? Yes, but it was for self-preservation of whoever done it."

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...ills-dermond-home-returned-to-family/9483813/

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

After reading most of the posts in this thread, I feel the need to state my opinion. I am hoping that LE is well on its way to an arrest for this horrendous crime. I can't imagine the type of monster and coward who could commit this atrocity.

I am a believer of Occam's Razor. Simply put, it is a philosophy that the simplest, obvious, and least complicated, explanation for a mystery, is the most probable. Having said this, I believe that someone close to the Dermonds was responsible. Also, this person or persons had something to gain (probably financial). I do like the theory that it could have been someone who tried to con them, and they were outed. But still the perpetrator(s) were known to the victims. Most crimes are committed by those known to the victim.

We all have our own opinions, but I think we all want justice for the Dermonds. :twocents:

IMHO

Wildebeest...Hooray on your first post at Websleuths!
Now....we need to work on that avatar. Its totally freaking me out!:scared:

IMHO

Welcome wildebeest!
:fireworks: :party: :wagon:
Excellent first post!

IMHO

Welcome Wildebeest!... Yes, we are all here for the same reason; to insure that the Dermond's and their family receives Justice.. With Memorial Day tomorrow and Mr Russel Dermond being one of the few surviving WWII Veterans prior to this horrific crime. The necessity for justice is only magnified, imo..

If only all cases of homicides could be solved utilizing the Occam's Razor philosophy... Imo, the Occam's razor philosophy has indicted way too many innocent folks either by the judicial system or in the court of public opinion in homicide cases. Specifically when the rare case of a stranger/s or slight acquaintance/s perpetrator/s is involved..

Imo, all indicators point to this crime being committed by a very calculating escalated and experienced sadistic psychopathic sexual predator; a serial stealth predator.. A predator that crossed the threshold of evil fantasies and entered the world of dark reality long ago..

Unless as someone suggested, Sheriff Sills and associates may be utilizing a media management investigative strategy designed to mislead and give the perp/s a false sense of security, hoping for an over confident misstep. Then unless there is divine intervention, this case could tragically result in "Angels & Demons II"; Deja Vu, jmho...

http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892

"ANGELS & DEMONS" SUNSET...

Thomas French of the St. Petersburg Times won the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing for "Angels & Demons," his portrait of a mother and two daughters killed while on vacation in Florida. "I believe there are demons all around us," he would say, "just as I believe there are angels all around us."

Just thinking out loud....Feel free to add to the list

What we do know;

jurisdictional linkage blindness involved(Green County-SD remains located)
crime occurred around the time of special event (Kentucky Derby-Cinco de Mayo)
extremely horrific crime(dismemberment RD- head missing)(possible staging/placing of bodies; RD & SD)
at least one unknown crime scene location(safe haven)
security video went down 04/28/2014 - aprox 5 days before estimated crime window
Boat used for transport

What we don't know;

Motive/s
TOD of SD..
tool used in decapitation of RD
defensive wounds of victims
number of perps involved
if firearm/s involved
FBI/GBI Lab/forensics test results
Tool used for blunt force trauma located
Acquaintance - Slight Acquaintance - Stranger - Other

Warning Graphic!

...Scroll down and begin reading on page #78..
Interview of Gary Hilton by the GBI enroute to Dawson Forest WMA- Atlanta Tract(01/07/2008) to locate the remains of hiker 24 year old Meredith Hope Emerson, who had been decapitated(serrated kitchen knife) after meeting her demise from blunt force trauma (iron bar/tire tool).

http://www.sickcrimes.us/2008/08/gary-hiltons-confession-1950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member