GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:gathering:Asked if the interviews would be helpful to his investigation, Sills said, “I know it will, already.”

YESSSSSS!!!!:clap::rocker::partyguy:

It's close! I can feel it!

This story just tears at my heart. I can't help but think of my own mom who loved to play bridge. Mrs. D sounds like such a wonderful, sharp, sweet, kind lady. Sounds like she was getting pretty frail too, which makes all of this even more heinous and despicable. I can't even begin to imagine what her family must be going through... My prayers are for them and her friends...

I hope they catch the evil person who did this very soon - and that he suffers for a long, long time.

And Russ also seemed to be the same sweet caring person like Shirley was.

I had thought they had been married for 62 years but in a link I just read it said they had been married for 68 years. Shirley would have been 19 and Russ 20 and I am sure they were married before they even had any wealth.

It also explained why they decided to build on Lake Oconee when they retired. It was a half way point in either direction from where all of their children lived. It shows they both were such kind and thoughtful people who loved their family dearly.

IMO

Shirley’s death leaves an empty place at the table
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:50 am

~snip

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

Goodness! That article brought tears to my eyes.

537d0a75a1ded.preview-300.jpg

Shirley Dermond was president of the Eatonton Duplicate Bridge Club and had played cards with the group “forever,” members said last week. Those who played with her May 1 are among the last to see her alive, Sheriff Howard Sills says.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said Shirley Dermond’s fellow bridge players are among the last to have seen the 87-year-old woman alive.

Sills said he believes her husband, Russell, 88, was murdered May 2 or May 3; Shirley’s body was pulled from the waters of Lake Oconee May 16.

No question she was murdered, too, Sills has said.

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Two questions:

1. Does Sheriff Sills know who the last people were to see Russell and Shirley before being Mr. D was discovered murdered?

2. If Sheriff Sills believes Mr. Dermond was murdered on May 2 or May 3, when does he believe Mrs. Dermond was murdered?

Golf cart plus clothesline = decapitation??

Airbags will decapitate someone too - Young children can't ride in the front seat for that reason and I remember an elderly woman was decapitated by an airbag too after a collision. Horrible!!

Some reasons for the extra effort

The fact this couple has been accessed as low risk meaning no ties to organized crime or known enemies.
The gruesome nature of the crime (decapitation) and staging of bodies.
The traumatic overall effect on the small community and the likelihood the suspect(s) are among the community.

Also I believe the case initially drew the attention from the FBI due to the decapitation of Mr. D. They had to rule out organized crime.

Also have to commend Sheriff Sills willingness to utilize the continued help of the FBI and their investigative services.

Possibly. I think the main reason Sills knew he could pull the FBI in when the case first began was because at that time Shirley was assumed to be kidnapped. That is usually when we see the FBI come in with assistance.

Even the FBI said they will have a stricter role to play now that Shirley's body has been recovered.

IMO

For what it's worth, I did not send the e-mail about the female gator! I promise I did not send that tip in. I suspected a male gator and not a female gator so that was absolutely not my e-mail to Sheriff Sills.

:floorlaugh: we know JK

For what it's worth, I did not send the e-mail about the female gator! I promise I did not send that tip in. I suspected a male gator and not a female gator so that was absolutely not my e-mail to Sheriff Sills.

uh huh....

Wouldn't it be great that once the perps are apprehended, and the Dermonds get justice, if all the investigators in the case chip in and buy Sheriff Sills, a new pair of alligator boots to wear during trial?

http://johnallenwoodward.com/shop/alligator-boots/hornback-alligator-boots-black/

Thanks.

That is a very odd position for a victim to be found in. Not so much with the face being down but the feet straight down is highly unusual and does seem to explain why they think or know she was tethered to a weight.

Usually a victim's entire body and face are floating spread eagle face down when found.

IMO

My opinion is that the body was not necessarily placed there in that manner but likely drifted between the tree trunks and when it rose, was aligned vertically due to proximity of the tree trunks and branches. The quoted description seems to exclude any mention of it being bound to the trees, though not hard to imagine entanglement with existing fishing line or ropes that might have been caught in the trees over time.

"He noted that one email suggested a female alligator (UNGAT) had gotten into the Dermonds’ house, killed Russell and decapitated him, and carried off Shirley Dermond."

Glad to see he is reading the mail. He is laughing now, but in a couple weeks when he runs out of ideas, he better have GBI double check any DNA swabs from the floor of the garage.

My opinion is that the body was not necessarily placed there in that manner but likely drifted between the tree trunks and when it rose, was aligned vertically due to proximity of the tree trunks and branches. The quoted description seems to exclude any mention of it being bound to the trees, though not hard to imagine entanglement with existing fishing line or ropes that might have been caught in the trees over time.

Possibly.

But imo based on Sills stressing she was 'placed' in that area it makes more sense to me that she was weighted down in the deeper water (48 feet channel) and as the body began to put off decomp gases she rose but she surfaced in an upright position due to the weight still being attached underneath her. He may have even put the weight around her ankles before tossing her in since he knew the water was very deep there, imo.

I do believe she did drift when she surfaced to the point where she was found among the tree lines. However I believe she was drifting in an upright position due to being weighed down with something. Please forgive me for describing it this way :( but she was drifting just like a fishing cork bobber drifts when weights (lead) are on the line below the bobber.

If he thought she had just drifted there on her own I don't think he would have ever said that the body was placed there. Jmo of course.

"He noted that one email suggested a female alligator (UNGAT) had gotten into the Dermonds’ house, killed Russell and decapitated him, and carried off Shirley Dermond."

Glad to see he is reading the mail. He is laughing now, but in a couple weeks when he runs out of ideas, he better have GBI double check any DNA swabs from the floor of the garage.

OMG are you serious? Did someone really send in that crazy theory?:floorlaugh:

That is like in the Scott Peterson case the Judge had to stop the trial because he had received an anonymous letter from someone who said they knew who the killer was because their dog had told them so. I think that is the way it went. lol:scared:

IMO

Possibly.

But imo based on Sills stressing she was 'placed' in that area it makes more sense to me that she was weighted down in the deeper water (48 feet channel) and as the body began to put off decomp gases she rose but she surfaced in an upright position due to the weight still being attached underneath her. He may have even put the weight around her ankles before tossing her in since he knew the water was very deep there, imo.

I do believe she did drift when she surfaced to the point where she was found among the tree lines. However I believe she was drifting in an upright position due to being weighed down with something. Please forgive me for describing it this way :( but she was drifting just like a fishing cork bobber drifts when weights (lead) are on the line below the bobber.

If he thought she had just drifted there on her own I don't think he would have ever said that the body was placed there. Jmo of course.

Dr. Watson captured a still video of the area with tree tops above the water line where a buoy was floating. It was an upright buoy and yeah it would be creepy to find a body floating that way. Will see if I can relocate Dr. Watson's most excellent picture of the buoy. On second thought, I think it blew the margins.

Dr. Watson captured a still video of the area with tree tops above the water line where a buoy was floating. It was an upright buoy and yeah it would be creepy to find a body floating that way. Will see if I can relocate Dr. Watson's most excellent picture of the buoy. On second thought, I think it blew the margins.

Here ya go...

Attachments

• trees3.jpg
    trees3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 73
  • trees2.jpg
    trees2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 74

:floorlaugh: Didn't you send that in? :floorlaugh: or not telling?

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member