GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
he's been in that community for a while."

"I'd definitely be interviewing anybody on the lake for any single males, probably white males they've seen in kayaks or canoes," Summers said.

Who has any inside link or info on single males in the area? Possibly at the resort? Would they live close by maybe on the lake?

Just throwing thoughts around.

Does anyone here know if the blind man that Mr. D read to has any relatives living with him?? Not sleuthing, just thinking out loud. I think Sills should be looking at friends of the D's who had males living with them. Just a thought, no facts here. The perp(s) has knowledge of the area and knew the D's routines, IMO. It had to take awhile to commit these horrific crimes. The perp(s) had to know they wouldn't be interrupted. Plus, the first 48hrs is crucial in a murder investigation. So how did the perp(s) know it would take several days to discover the crime scene? I would like to know if Mrs. D was in the lake the whole time or was she placed there later?
Sorry for the rambling. I'm all jacked up on diet dew and a Goody powder. Lol

Sorry to be slow with this, but I'll try again for Razz to post a decent map from Goggle Earth of the scene, maybe two. The scene 7 one is higher resolution than the others. The first scene shows the remains at a location upstream from the more detailed description of the actual location.

To consider: The sheriff is consulting with UGA about lake currents and the effects of water being pumped from Sinclair to Oconee during some part of the typical day. This could effect a conclusion regarding where the corpse was placed in the lake initially.

The boat theory seems likely but not absolute.

Attachments

• dermond scene 5.jpg
    dermond scene 5.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 23
  • dermond scene 6.jpg
    dermond scene 6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 21
  • dermond scene 7.jpg
    dermond scene 7.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 25
Does anyone here know if the blind man that Mr. D read to has any relatives living with him?? Not sleuthing, just thinking out loud. I think Sills should be looking at friends of the D's who had males living with them. Just a thought, no facts here. The perp(s) has knowledge of the area and knew the D's routines, IMO. It had to take awhile to commit these horrific crimes. The perp(s) had to know they wouldn't be interrupted. Plus, the first 48hrs is crucial in a murder investigation. So how did the perp(s) know it would take several days to discover the crime scene? I would like to know if Mrs. D was in the lake the whole time or was she placed there later? Sorry for the rambling. I'm all jacked up on diet dew and a Goody powder. Lol

Did they know? I mean saturday The D's were scheduled to go to the Derby Party and Sunday they could have been in Church, not sure how regular they were in attending services

As far as SD, I think it was pretty much determined it takes 10 days or something to surface due to gases in the body rising about that time frame and the water was cooler, in the 70's, hotter water and she may have appeared sooner, so i think she was put in the lake probably the same weekend LE suspected they had been murdered

what does that mean??

he doesn't have a clue ??

It's just a very odd thing to say, IMO. No one accused him of doing it, so why even say that? It just seems...a very pointed, unnecessary statement.

And NO, I don't think Sills did it! I do think he's in way over his head with this investigation though. When this thing is solved, I don't think it will be by him.:moo:

Since Sills doesn't even believe that Russ was murdered in the garage, I imagine any evidence was left wherever the murders occurred. He only seemed to drag the body a short way into the garage when leaving it. He may have had gloves on at the time and may have made sure he did not walk in any blood.

I am not sure they did leave a whole bunch of evidence behind. It seems if they had found any bloody fingerprints in the garage they would have put a rush on them like they have done in other cases and in a couple of cases the results were returned in 2-3 days. I know a rush on evidence happened in the Gee murder cases and in the Heinz mass murder cases and they identified the suspects in that amount of time. If he had really left a bunch of evidence behind I think an arrest would have been made by this length of time.

In this case though I believe we are dealing with a much smarter murderer who took every precaution to protect himself. Imo, he had thought about this and planned it out in his mind for quite awhile.

It may never be solved either.

IMO

Unless the perp did leave DNA at the scene, but isn't listed in any database.

OR

All DNA at the scene matched people who had a legitimate reason to have been there.

Sorry to be slow with this, but I'll try again for Razz to post a decent map from Goggle Earth of the scene, maybe two. The scene 7 one is higher resolution than the others. The first scene shows the remains at a location upstream from the more detailed description of the actual location.

To consider: The sheriff is consulting with UGA about lake currents and the effects of water being pumped from Sinclair to Oconee during some part of the typical day. This could effect a conclusion regarding where the corpse was placed in the lake initially.

Remind me what the snags label means?

only about 13 miles by car, say 25 minutes or so? depending on speed

that's not quite as far as I'd thought on water

thanks for the awesome maps

Does anyone here know if the blind man that Mr. D read to has any relatives living with him?? Not sleuthing, just thinking out loud. I think Sills should be looking at friends of the D's who had males living with them. Just a thought, no facts here. The perp(s) has knowledge of the area and knew the D's routines, IMO. It had to take awhile to commit these horrific crimes. The perp(s) had to know they wouldn't be interrupted. Plus, the first 48hrs is crucial in a murder investigation. So how did the perp(s) know it would take several days to discover the crime scene? I would like to know if Mrs. D was in the lake the whole time or was she placed there later?
Sorry for the rambling. I'm all jacked up on diet dew and a Goody powder. Lol

Do you have a link that Russell read to a "blind" man?
It has been mentioned several times on the thread(s), and I haven't found a link.
I found a link that states:
"Russell Dermond, she said, was as kindhearted as his wife.

“They had a friend who had a stroke, and Russell would go to his house several times a week to go over what the therapist had told the friend to do,” Paige said. "
http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html

It's just a very odd thing to say, IMO. No one accused him of doing it, so why even say that? It just seems...a very pointed, unnecessary statement.

And NO, I don't think Sills did it! I do think he's in way over his head with this investigation though. When this thing is solved, I don't think it will be by him.:moo:

uuuuugh, IF IT GETs solved...................my fear

thats one thing i have been trying to relay here, is his verbage, I think he just talks without thinking sometimes, I like the guy, I do, but I think like you do about this case, last article said they had DIRECTION but wasn't sure it would lead to anything

so yes, it means they have no clue I guess

Do you have a link that Russell read to a "blind" man?
It has been mentioned several times on the thread(s), and I haven't found a link.
I found a link that states:
"Russell Dermond, she said, was as kindhearted as his wife.

“They had a friend who had a stroke, and Russell would go to his house several times a week to go over what the therapist had told the friend to do,” Paige said. "
http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html

Treelights I'd heard both early on but haven't seen the blind thing in writing, but sthnqt point makes sense, could have been the stroke victims friend or family member

that is IF it's not the nuwabians :floorlaugh:

Unless the perp did leave DNA at the scene, but isn't listed in any database.

OR

All DNA at the scene matched people who had a legitimate reason to have been there.

I have thought about that too Peppery and he would know beforehand if he was in any databank.

I was talking more about DNA evidence such as fingerprints or boot prints of his ...comingled with Russ' blood. I just don't think they found any of those things. I think this murderer is extremely organized and meticulous.

I don't think he has a criminal history either. Imo, if ever arrested he is going to turnout to be an unusual suspect and one that the community would never believe was capable of doing something like this.

IMO

Because that it the way SS has always talked. Us southern folk do have our own way of speaking.:D

He just meant the only one he can rule out with 100% certainty is himself because he knows where he was. He is famous for phrasing things this way. lol

Im not ready to count him out. He has a great reputation for solving crimes. He has been selected Sheriff of the Year twice....as recently as last year He has been in LE 40 years.

But no one...not even the FBI may be able to solve this one.

IMO

Remind me what the snags label means?

Snags are the tops of trees that were left in the lake when it formed, and in the area where the corpse was found they are many.

Here's a zoomed in view of them. Pretty amazing what can be done with Google Earth. You can zoom in and see the shadows cast by the trees during the scan time period which gives a rough idea of the time of day.

Attachments

• dermond scene 8.jpg
    dermond scene 8.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 53
I keep reading here that it is doubtful the perp went into the house. Just curious as to what your thoughts are. The perp rings the front doorbell, one of the D's answer the door - and then what? Mr.D steps outside with the perp? Mrs. D. answers the door, she is going to insist the perp come in, Southerners are insistent on this if you are known to them, while she gets hubby. Your thoughts??

Because that it the way SS has always talked. Us southern folk to have our own way of speaking.:D

He just meant the only one he can rule out with 100% certainty is himself because he knows where he was. He is famous for phrasing things this way. lol

Im not ready to count him out. He has a great reputation for solving crimes. He has been selected Sheriff of the Year twice....as recently as last year He has been in LE 40 years.

But no one...not even the FBI may be able to solve this one.

IMO

I think they will!
:seeya:

Body of man found in Lake Sinclair
http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_6d0a866c-e827-11e3-a182-0019bb2963f4.html

Family members reported finding “his boat and it looked like it had been in an accident.”

I'm sure unrelated but geez this will probably be a year the Putnam SO won't soon forget. Sad.

Umm, two people drowning in the same lake, in the same month, at the same time two dead bodies found, one in the neighboring lake, one in a lakefront home?!?

Yes, yes, Vicki Stephens was ruled a drowning. BUT. The last published report on a Friday said on Monday, they expected it to be ruled 'accidental'. I cannot locate another reference that verifies if that actually happened the following Monday? Can anyone remember if they saw that published on or after May 14?

Statistically speaking, these drownings are as weird as they sound. 27 people will drown in one year in all of Georgia, in the age range of these two individuals.

It seems even more unlikely that people who purchase waterfront property, with docks and boats, swim so poorly that they might drown right off their own dock in the middle of the day.

https://dph.georgia.gov/sites/dph.georgia.gov/files/InjuryPrevention/Publications/Drowning.pdf

Here's a link to the drowning statistics for Georgia.

It's totally possible this is just a string of terrible coincidences but it sure does make you go "hmmmm"

Umm, two people drowning in the same lake, in the same month, at the same time two dead bodies found, one in the neighboring lake, one in a lakefront home?!?

Yes, yes, Vicki Stephens was ruled a drowning. BUT. The last published report on a Friday said on Monday, they expected it to be ruled 'accidental'. I cannot locate another reference that verifies if that actually happened the following Monday? Can anyone remember if they saw that published on or after May 14?

Statistically speaking, these drownings are as weird as they sound. 27 people will drown in one year in all of Georgia, in the age range of these two individuals.

It seems even more unlikely that people who purchase waterfront property, with docks and boats, swim so poorly that they might drown right off their own dock in the middle of the day.

https://dph.georgia.gov/sites/dph.georgia.gov/files/InjuryPrevention/Publications/Drowning.pdf

Here's a link to the drowning statistics for Georgia.

It's totally possible this is just a string of terrible coincidences but it sure does make you go "hmmmm"

QUITE annerving, to say the least, to those of us on this lake or on or near Oconee! I guess it's time to be afraid of the water now TOOO!

Sad for the families of course !

This guy took all kinds of risks. Moving the body back to the garage after killing Mr. Dermond. Taking his head somewhere else. Taking Mrs. Dermond on a boat ride to her final destination.

Who does that and nobody sees anything and no evidence is left and nothing is missing?

Able to enter and leave at least once and maybe more often not being detected by security systems in the house that the son said were being used.

Security gates and guards at the entrance. Did he use a boat, car, truck. Evidence there?

Almost like it was the phantom that visited the Dermond household.

Thinking of it all this killer achieved quite a bit. Plus what kind of monster could witness somebody's head being chopped off by their own hand?

Things I ponder.

Me too!

Is there a neighborhood watch?
I know they only ride around at night but ya never know!

I am too... And on an iPad. Pop ups for a gambling site and to play Dragon City. I think it is likely linked to the advertisers.

I've had something similar on my iPhone. All of a sudden, I was taken to the app store for some games. Annoys the snot out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB