GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is experiencing strange pop ups or worrisome virus threat warnings there are some threads where you can give the admin some info that may help them figure out if there are any problems. If you can, screen cap the messages to send privately to staff if they ask for it after you have described the issue in those threads.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

could not locate a link to the other one I have seen but this one is active

Here you go Honeybun!

I keep checking in here to see if an arrest has been made. I keep hoping that today is the day and then nothing. I gather there is no new leads and LE has no clue who did this. As more time passes, it just seems the trail grows colder. What am I missing?

Tomkat, I think we have all compared the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation case with many other cases past. The abduction/murder/decapitation of John & Irene Bryant(10/2007-NC) is the only case that comes to my mind..
Found Deceased NC - John Bryant, 79, & Irene Bryant - NC
http://www.thenewsobserver.com/articles/2007/12/25/news/news02.txt

If the perp/s had taken both S & R Dermond and disposed both of their bodies in the lake w/o leaving any signs of a crime. They would have been considered as only missing persons/adults. Other than a Silver Alert being initiated, the investigation would have had much less; urgency, investigative resources dedicated, and would have simply been a mystery...
Adults have the right to go missing..

The decapitation of RD and his missing head, combined with the torso being left in the garage changed not only the urgency of the investigation, but the horrific nature and magnitude of the crime.. Seems, the perp/s would have had to know that this would be the case.

The brazen perp/s were making a statement, while challenging authorities, imo.. Why?

You stumped me Foxfire. Cutting off Mr. Dermond's head is brazen and almost like they are slapping the authorities in the face. Like they are saying Take that! Or how do you like that? We're just as powerful as you are. ? Catch us if you can.

Former investigator sheds light.....

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/former-investigator-sheds-light-case-beheaded-man-/nfsSj/

"As an investigator, first thing I would do is look at other parts of the country and see if there are other crimes that parallel this," Summers said.

The FBI is involved, at least in part because Shirley Dermond is missing. But they would also investigate a multistate serial killer.

"If it is a serial killer, he's operating in such a way ... he's been in that community for a while."

"I'd definitely be interviewing anybody on the lake for any single males, probably white males they've seen in kayaks or canoes," Summers said.

Summers said investigators are also likely looking at a connection to organized crime.

After watching this interview I googled U.S. beheading and this is what I found.

http://www.krgv.com/news/expert-says-beheadings-in-u-s-look-like-work-of-cartels/

Three beheadings in two different states and they happened here in the United States, not Mexico.

Former DEA supervisor Phil Jordan says all three beheadings have cartel written all over them. They happened in Arizona and Oklahoma in the past year.

I'm reading up on some of this but offer it as food for thought.

I do not believe taking Mr. D's head was to slap or antagonize LE It was to send a message or the perp was just following directions.

JMO

Another thing I heard a lot growing up, you don't talk about money, period. Don't talk about not having any, don't talk about how you earned any, don't talk about having any, etc. You simply did not talk finances. Thus I never learned about the trade market, buying stocks, etc. Investing in land was the only true thing I ever heard about finances growing up. Didn't even know what bank people used!

I wonder if the wealthy think the same?
<BBM for focus>

Thanx for sharing, 2Hope4.. Food for thought...

I came from a farming family. One year we had a drought and a poor crop harvest. My granddad went to the bank for a $10,000.00 loan to replant the crop. The banker asked him if he had any collateral. Granddad didn't know what collateral was. The banker explained that he could put his cows up for collateral to stand for the loan, but if he did not repay as agreed, the bank would then own his cows. Reluctantly he agreed.

When he got home there was a truck in the driveway. It was an agent from an oil drilling company. The agent explained that his company believed that our farmland was sitting on a large deposit of oil and offered him a $300,000.00 cashiers check for the rights to drill on the property. Grandad happily accepted and returned to the bank to pay off the loan.

The surprised banker congratulated granddad and asked him if he was going to deposit the remaining funds into a CD or money market account?
Granddad, thought about it for a second, then asked the banker, "How many Cows do you have"?

he's been in that community for a while."

"I'd definitely be interviewing anybody on the lake for any single males, probably white males they've seen in kayaks or canoes," Summers said.

Who has any inside link or info on single males in the area? Possibly at the resort? Would they live close by maybe on the lake?

Just throwing thoughts around.

My Mother's family is exceedingly wealthy. It was considered in bad taste to inquire how much something cost. Old southern money does not talk. New money does. JMV

When my mom would buy something new, my brother would ask her what it cost. Her answer was "why, do you want to buy it for me?" He stopped asking. :seeya:

Former investigator sheds light.....

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/former-investigator-sheds-light-case-beheaded-man-/nfsSj/

"As an investigator, first thing I would do is look at other parts of the country and see if there are other crimes that parallel this," Summers said.

The FBI is involved, at least in part because Shirley Dermond is missing. But they would also investigate a multistate serial killer.

"If it is a serial killer, he's operating in such a way ... he's been in that community for a while."

Summers said investigators are also likely looking at a connection to organized crime.

After watching this interview I googled U.S. beheading and this is what I found.

http://www.krgv.com/news/expert-says-be-headings-in-u-s-look-like-work-of-cartels/

Three be-headings in two different states and they happened here in the United States, not Mexico.

Former DEA supervisor Phil Jordan says all three be-headings have cartel written all over them. They happened in Arizona and Oklahoma in the past year.

I'm reading up on some of this but offer it as food for thought.

Who has any inside link or info on single males in the area? Possibly at the resort? Would they live close by maybe on the lake?

Imo, these insights by APD Summers may have been very good recommendations for investigators in the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation before the Newaubian Cult info resurfaced..

Imo, FBI VICAP will hold the answers to many of the questions in the Dermond investigation...

Issues regarding Talking Heads in the Media
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#ten

The thing that haunts me about these murders is the age of the folks killed.

Serial Killers usually don't go into homes and kill old folks.

These two in their late 80's probably shut down, except for the few activities they participated in like bridge or reading to a friend, ten years ago!

Who targets old people like that? And cuts off their head for heavens sake.

Perhaps their family made somebody mad and they took it out on the old folks.

This one is certainly puzzling.

My best theory is it's a troubled Kid like Sigg or this new one out in Ca that just killed six people plus himself.

Family and neighbors would know of such a kid...I think...but then again it seems the family of this new killer out in CA are so upset they can't form a whole sentence without breaking down.

How does one live with a monster and not know it?

It seems the sheriff said early on that the Dermonds had no outside help.

But now I wonder if they might have had some neighbor kid or somebody outside the community help a bit with yard work?

We have a young man that comes once a week and helps hubby with weeding and planting and anything he needs help with.

I am sure by now they know everybody that ever sneezed within 50 ft of the Dermonds but so far...no arrest.

How long does it take for fingerprint and dna tests to be done?

The first time I saw nuwaubian cult mentioned, I chuckled, because I thought it was meaning like that scam emails people get or something. I had no idea such a thing existed! Those folks are scary...and in RICHMOND VA??? Get 'em outta my state!! Gangs, and cults... no need for either! Wish I could **POOF** BE GONE all of them!

At this point, I'm like the sheriff, all I know is that I was home, and have never been to GA. The rest of you all... well I don't know... you are all suspects to me. ;) :p

But seriously, this case haunts me, because we just don't know. And as far as WHY the Dermonds, well it might end up being the ease of access, their age, political beliefs, religious beliefs, who knows! Could be totally random! Serial killers don't usually know their victims, and they kill to kill...their motive is murder. Sooo we just don't know. And that's scary!!!

And now I'm scared to even read more about this Nuwaubian stuff. They sound nuts, and scary too. Are we the only normal folks left? Don't answer that!

Just why can't people be more like us ! :floorlaugh:

I keep checking in here to see if an arrest has been made. I keep hoping that today is the day and then nothing. I gather there is no new leads and LE has no clue who did this. As more time passes, it just seems the trail grows colder. What am I missing?

hahaha, evidence and forensics

he's spread the investigation to other states and ATL, SO.........maybe he's on a trail

Dang, why does everyone keep hoping for an arrest like this week? AM I missing something? Is there a POI???

These two in their late 80's probably shut down, except for the few activities they participated in like bridge or reading to a friend, ten years ago!

My best theory is it's a troubled Kid like Sigg or this new one out in Ca that just killed six people plus himself.

Family and neighbors would know of such a kid...I think...but then again it seems the family of this new killer out in CA are so upset they can't form a whole sentence without breaking down.

How does one live with a monster and not know it?

From reading it seems they were both very active. He walked a lot and was seen walking the golf course. In fact I read he only quit playing golf a few years ago and I think they said next month he would have turned 89. Their son stated they looked much younger than they actually were.

None of that would give any more reason to murder them but just saying.

Sorry!

How does one live with a monster and not know it?[/QUOTE]

YOU"D BE DANGED SURPRISED !!!

Yeah, i can see robbing them or something because of their age, kids taking advantage and abusing them in the process, even hitting them and killing them, IDK, it's crazy but Sills has his hands FULLLL on this one!

But the beheading and taking her away to dump in the water,

who, why? no chaos, clean house, cars in garage unless he had thousands in his wallet that's missing, so why behead him and haul her off

none of it makes sense

ok so say there is a connection/bad blood between nuwabian and sills.

How the heck do the dermonds enter into any of that???

the million dollar question, I asked the same thing now AND In the FIRST thread, before I really knew anything abuot the nuwabians

It seems the sheriff said early on that the Dermonds had no outside help.

But now I wonder if they might have had some neighbor kid or somebody outside the community help a bit with yard work?

We have a young man that comes once a week and helps hubby with weeding and planting and anything he needs help with.

I am sure by now they know everybody that ever sneezed within 50 ft of the Dermonds but so far...no arrest.

How long does it take for fingerprint and dna tests to be done?

That is what I've read, no outside yard help. The house was spotless.

Maybe it's just some young guy they would see kayaking and wave too. You know? They might have seen the same young man on the golf course or at the grocery. They didn't KNOW him but occasionally spoke a hello or a wave.

They say this murder is personal. They say there was no blood splatter, no mess, no breaking and entering, nothing missing.

He just wanted them dead. Maybe it was just an URGE he could no longer resist. No reason, he just kills. Maybe the thrill is getting bigger hence the need to play a little game. Take the head and hide her. Make the cops work to figure it out?

Just guessing as best I can. It seemed to be a pretty clean kill on both of them. Even the decapitation. Personal but cold. No revenge or wildly psychotic killer. Just a killer. Out to do it again.

:banghead:

The murders were personal, a main dish of revenge.
With a side order of meth.
IMO

Hi OBE- I hear what you are saying but I think Sills reference to no hit was in relation to some form of retaliation for the elder son's death. I'm not saying the elder Dermonds have done something wrong, but perhaps someone (and wildly speculating) close to them has. He needs to be checking other money transactions. And why is it.just drug cartels and.the mafia taking heads.?

Also, if there is some "nefarious behavoir "ocurring in the neighborhood, someone knows it. And. chances are the Board of Directors knows it. Even if there are tiny disagreements.

And was it just the front door that was unlocked? How about the back entrances. Especially the screened in porch. You can only unlock and lock them from the inside. One would think that an exit or entrance
to the house from the boat would have been easier to acheive through the back way.

I know you aren't saying that S&R did anything wrong, Razz. I certainly believe for whatever the reason Shirley and Russ were murdered they specifically targeted themselves but I don't believe it was from anything they did personally wrong. Even though if we ever do learn who did this, why they were targeted specifically, will be something senseless and nonsensical to many of us as so many murders seem to be.

Sills has mentioned often that he believes the murderer was known to the Dermonds in someway if only casually. I just don't think the Dermonds would know their hit man or someone in a drug cartel, or someone in the mafia or someone in a cult. He seems to think the murderer himself has some type of affiliation with the Dermonds even though it may be just an acquaintance.

I don't think the murderer ever entered their home to begin with but I do believe this happened during the day/evening and was at a time they wouldn't have their doors locked.

Imo, whoever did this specifically targeted both Shirley and Russ Dermond themselves for some reason unknown to any of us at this time, imo. Many people in the past have murdered someone to protect a secret from being exposed and maybe the Dermonds knew something, or had recently discovered something, that if known, would turn the murderers world upside down.

I really haven't picked up on anything that makes me believe Sills believes this was an organized hit of any kind by anyone but that's just my opinion and impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bucky357