GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean about putting up piers in the spring?? The docks here are permanent structures. Many RP residents keep their boats in the dry storage facilities at one of the marinas. Call ahead and the boat is delivered clean and full of gas to their dock.

But we know the D's sold their boat a couple of years ago.

BTW, the lake is deep in that little inlet.

Up North due to the freezing of the lakes we take our piers out in the Wintertime.

Down on the river there are some made of huge telephone pole like wood and they stay in all year.

Each new theory on who and why the Dermonds were murdered takes me back to three questions.

Why kill such old folks. Why move their dead bodies around so. Why behead an old man?

Up North due to the freezing of the lakes we take our piers out in the Wintertime.

Down on the river there are some made of huge telephone pole like wood and they stay in all year.

Each new theory on who and why the Dermonds were murdered takes me back to three questions.

Why kill such old folks. Why move their dead bodies around so. Why behead an old man?

He didn't have to kill them. I can't think of a single reason to behead an old man if he was already dead other than to make it look like something it was not.

exactly how I feel, no matter what angle it always goes back to these 3 and nothing seems to fit!

Extortion maybe though, they were clearly easy targets, no struggle, had to be very very surprised and unexpected or they knew them

Just so brutal!

He didn't have to kill them. I can't think of a single reason to behead an old man if he was already dead other than to make it look like something it was not.

Bootsctr, no he/they did not have to kill them.
The beheading may have been for deflection, to remove forensic or other physical evidence, ritual, acting out a fantasy, rage, or in many cultures it is an act performed to send a direct message..jmo

<modsnip>

RE: Snakes/Copperheads..

Have a brazillian snake stories that I could share. I'll limit it to a couple. My son and granddaughter were both bitten by copperheads. Two weeks after my grandaughter was bitten, our family met at Amicalola falls lodge for our annual Christmas dinner. DNR rangers occasionally bring animals to entertain & educate visitors.
When we walked in to the lodge, ironically there was a presentation of snakes by DNR. A girl from the audience was assisting the ranger and holding one of the snakes. It was my grandaughter..

FYI: Spiders and other insect bites cause more fatalities in the US each year than snake bites.

"The culprits are most likely seasoned criminals _ "You don't escalate from shoplifting to decapitation," Van Zandt said.
"This is way over the line on the sociopathic scale," he said.
Decapitations are extremely rare, Van Zandt said, and almost always personal. Taking Russell Dermond's head, which remains missing, "makes a tremendous statement," the longtime profiler said.
"This is the kind of thing you'd see from a Mexican drug cartel," he said."

http://legalpronews.findlaw.com/article/1370401571fa6ed37cb1d306c25577a8#.U5UvQoHD8m8

I am at a loss.
A seasoned sociopath, a very personal killing trying to make it look like the cartel who kept the head to send a message to someone. ???
I can't wrap my mind around it.
moo

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Good Morning Everyone!:seeya:

While I admire Chris Van Zandt and the work he has done... I don't agree with him on this issue.

First, there must be a first time for everything. And yes, people can come out of nowhere and commit the most gosh awful premeditated crimes imaginable. We have seen that happen right here in cases we have discussed where the criminal had no past criminal record at all. Yet went from 0 to 60 and committed the most violent acts of all by murdering another human being or multiple humans.

And I don't think this killer has a criminal past. That is why it has been hard for Sills to connect the dots. A lot of the connecting dots are missing and that is why after a month no arrest has been made.

Now would someone please help me out. My eyesight is not as good as it once was even though I have never had to wear glasses or contacts. But can someone tell me if there are steps leading out of the Dermond home lakeside going all the way down to the boat dock?

Because I was trying to look very closely at the back of their property and it seems to be covered half way in pine straw all over the area closest to the dock. I can see the green grassy area of their home in the back and then I see nothing but golden brown pine needles once the green area stops.

The reason I am asking this is I have been thinking about how very slippery pine straw is to walk on when going down a slope. One can easily fall and bust their butt not only because it is smooth and slick when it falls but it is just laying on top of the ground not attached to anything and easily slides under the feet when walking on it.

If there are not steps going all the way down to the boat dock I am beginning to wonder if he even took Shirley from their home down to their own boat dock. It seems like there would have to be evidence of bunched up pine straw going all the way down as he slipped and slid down the slope to load Shirley up in the boat. Something about that just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. Everything seems to be intact by looking at the pine straw in back like it hasn't been disturbed.

Are all lakeside views at GW covered up with pine straw on the back or do some rake all the pine needles and have green lush grass showing all the way down to the water's edge?

TIA to anyone that can help explain the steps in the back of the Dermond home and how far they go.

My theory still remains about the same from when I began following this case.

I believe the perp is a relative (or young male he tried to mentor) who has been, or feels he has been shunned or spurned, and believed he was entitled to something from Mr and Mrs D. The head of the patriarch was removed for a reason. If I recall correctly, Mrs D was beaten in the head. Someone had a lot of anger for these two elderly people.

I think this dropped by the D's periodically for a money visit. My bet is Mr D recently said no more and the killer became enraged.

And IIRC, a member of LE, FBI I think, stated that this was very personal.

The only other theory I can think of that would be very personal, would be a love triangle.

I think the beheading is another way to shut Mr. Dermond's mouth for eternity.

I agree with this. He wanted to shut Russell up forever.

I think that perhaps Mr Dermond had seen something or knew of some type of damaging information against another individual and Mr Dermond may have repeatedly threatened to report them if what they were doing didn't stop.

I think that Russell may have shared this information with Shirley which also made her a target. I also think it could possibly be related to the elderly friend of the Dermond's who Russell helped every week or another resident/neighbor in the RP community. It could involve drugs, theft, and elder abuse.

JMO

OceanBlueEyes - These are the only two photos that are imbedded in this thread that give a better look at the steps that go to the dock. I'm not recalling a photo that has a better shot of the surface as it leads to the house...perhaps someone else recalls or has saved a link.

HTH

I just don't know why I never thought about it before. This was from early on like May 8-9th.
Could that decapitate someone? I can't tell if cables or hydraulic... I don't know anything about them.

y8uza9ah.jpg

It looks to be mounted from above so cable pulleys?

Hope this pic shows up.

My latest thoughts (seems I have different ones every day). Will some men please chime-in on this. How would you get a dead body weighting 158 lbs down to the river by yourself?

Would you drag them down the sidewalk and steps? Would you thrown them over your shoulder and be able to walk down the sidewalk and steps?

Would you either drag or shoulder carry them down through the pinestraw?

Would your boat be at the dock or over near the sea wall?

I don't think one person could have done this alone without leaving a bunch of evidence.

The Dermond's boat lift.
Two different places. The Dermond's dock still has crime scene tape across the water. It is so fast I'm not sure I can grab it.

urygy6un.jpg

Ocean, the multiquote function apparently too complicated for this luddite... here is the second photo.

My theory still remains about the same from when I began following this case.

I believe the perp is a relative (or young male he tried to mentor) who has been, or feels he has been shunned or spurned, and believed he was entitled to something from Mr and Mrs D. The head of the patriarch was removed for a reason. If I recall correctly, Mrs D was beaten in the head. Someone had a lot of anger for these two elderly people.

I think this dropped by the D's periodically for a money visit. My bet is Mr D recently said no more and the killer became enraged.

And IIRC, a member of LE, FBI I think, stated that this was very personal.

The only other theory I can think of that would be very personal, would be a love triangle.

I am like you most of my basic theory hasn't changed and even though I am always open to change my opinion at anytime some things have remained consistent with my overall theory.

For me only, I have never thought these murders were done for financial gain. Especially not the way they were carried out. The manner in which it was carried out is totally opposite of what family members do when seeking financial gain. They don't hide the bodies nor do they decapitate the family member, imo. All of that goes against their ultimate goal of financial gain. And Sills said clearly the killer put Shirley in the lake intending for it to never be found. Those facts has convinced me anyway to exclude any family involvement altogether.

Sills did not say these murders were extremely personal. He did say that they were personally targeted by someone that could have even known them casually. (paraphrasing)

Of course police can and do make mistakes. They also said the Husted parents were specifically targeted and it wasn't a random crime yet that is exactly what it was when they discovered an armed robber in their home and he killed them to protect his secret. This has also happened in many other cases as well when LE got it wrong on the personal or random aspect.

I have no doubt there is some kind of link between the killer and Russ and Shirley but do not believe this association has anything to do with a family member.

I believe this killer felt he had to kill both Dermonds in order to protect his own secret (self preservation) they knew about.... from being revealed to all those who knows the suspect.

If we only took just the fact of the decapitation of Russ then we have to consider when heads are decapitated usually there is no emotional link at all between the killer and the victim(s).

And I don't think this killer had any emotional bond with the victims. He did this to protect himself and he took the head and disposed of Shirley out of necessity hoping that link would always remain unknown.

Imo, the answer to these murders can be found right in the area the victims resided in.

Not a grandma yet, but neither would I! Those are precious, and worth their weight in gold!! Mess with my cast iron, and it's on!! :scared:

I had a houseguest that one time was *helping* and cleaned my beautifully seasoned ol' cast iron pan with a BRILLO SOS pad. :banghead::banghead: :stormingmad: :stormingmad: Took forever to get it back to having a respectable seasoning. Yep, you guessed it, she was not from the south.

For you folks that are not from the south, or those of you from Oz :seeya:...and ever get near a cast iron pan, the ONLY thing that is used to clean a cast iron pan is at most a plastic tuffy pad with HOT water. NO SOAP! And don't tell us that isn't sanitary enough. It is! Better yet...just don't touch our cast iron pans! :giggle:

End of :rant:

I agree with this. He wanted to shut Russell up forever.

I think that perhaps Mr Dermond had seen something or knew of some type of damaging information against another individual and Mr Dermond may have repeatedly threatened to report them if what they were doing didn't stop.

I think that Russell may have shared this information with Shirley which also made her a target. I also think it could possibly be related to the elderly friend of the Dermond's who Russell helped every week or another resident/neighbor in the RP community. It could involve drugs, theft, and elder abuse.

JMO

It is interesting to me that this Added information was in this link:
http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2014-05-10/decapitation-mystery-they-didnt-deserve

" “They were very sharp people,” Keith Dermond said of his parents. He described his mother as a fantastic bridge player who wowed him with her crossword-puzzle-working wits.
“There’s nobody who met her that didn’t love her,” the son said, adding, “and she never gossiped.” "

Why add in that Shirley never gossiped?
Why not leave it at "There's nobody who met her that didn't love her".
Gossip......If Shirley did not gossip, then why say she didn't?
Did Shirley KNOW things........If so, was a person(s) Afraid she would TELL?
IMOO.

BBM

So glad Sills has verified what most of us here thought....no cult involvement. The whole cult theory, as well as the animal that shall not be named :giggle: was nonsensical to me. That being said, I tend to lean towards a perp(s) who did not want an extremely damaging secret to be made public. What was the secret?
:dunno: Imo, it might have to do with some type of financial wrong doings on the perp(s) behalf. I do feel like Sills is zeroing in on his target. I expect an arrest or two in the coming weeks. But I've always been a 'glass half full' kind of girl.

This is exactly what I am thinking about when I refer to "high stakes." Think Ponzi or something along that line involving millions of dollars.

For some reason I am beginning to think the killer does not live in the vicinity. Maybe he rented a condo for a week and studied the lake day and night.

Hope Sheriff Sills talks to the press today.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2014-05-10/decapitation-mystery-they-didnt-deserve

" &#8220;They were very sharp people,&#8221; Keith Dermond said of his parents. He described his mother as a fantastic bridge player who wowed him with her crossword-puzzle-working wits.
&#8220;There&#8217;s nobody who met her that didn&#8217;t love her,&#8221; the son said, adding, &#8220;and she never gossiped.&#8221; "

IMOO.

Yes, that quote stood out to me as being strange as well. I think Russell knew something about someone and most likely shared this information with Shirley, but they probably didn't share the info with anyone else.
It could be that Russell was trying to protect his friend who perhaps he saw being mistreated by another individual. Russell's friend is very old (90's) and a stroke victim and maybe Russell was trying to protect him from something or someone? Maybe Russell threatened to go to LE with this information and the perp killed Russell and Shirley for their own "self-preservation"?

RE: Snakes/Copperheads..

Have a brazillian snake stories that I could share. I'll limit it to a couple. My son and granddaughter were both bitten by copperheads. Two weeks after my grandaughter was bitten, our family met at Amicalola falls lodge for our annual Christmas dinner. DNR rangers occasionally bring animals to entertain & educate visitors.
When we walked in to the lodge, ironically there was a presentation of snakes by DNR. A girl from the audience was assisting the ranger and holding one of the snakes. It was my grandaughter..

FYI: Spiders and other insect bites cause more fatalities in the US each year than snake bites.

Good for your granddaughter. I am glad she had no residual fear. When my dog was bitten we rushed her to the emergency vet. He gave her an antibiotic and a benadryl. So, if anyone I know gets a bite I will immediately give them a benadryl. lol jmo

I am like you most of my basic theory hasn't changed and even though I am always open to change my opinion at anytime some things have remained consistent with my overall theory.

For me only, I have never thought these murders were done for financial gain. Especially not the way they were carried out. The manner in which it was carried out is totally opposite of what family members do when seeking financial gain. They don't hide the bodies nor do they decapitate the family member, imo. All of that goes against their ultimate goal of financial gain. And Sills said clearly the killer put Shirley in the lake intending for it to never be found. Those facts has convinced me anyway to exclude any family involvement altogether.

Sills did not say these murders were extremely personal. He did say that they were personally targeted by someone that could have even known them casually. (paraphrasing)

Of course police can and do make mistakes. They also said the Husted parents were specifically targeted and it wasn't a random crime yet that is exactly what it was when they discovered an armed robber in their home and he killed them to protect his secret. This has also happened in many other cases as well when LE got it wrong on the personal or random aspect.

I have no doubt there is some kind of link between the killer and Russ and Shirley but do not believe this association has anything to do with a family member.

I believe this killer felt he had to kill both Dermonds in order to protect his own secret (self preservation) they knew about.... from being revealed to all those who knows the suspect.

If we only took just the fact of the decapitation of Russ then we have to consider when heads are decapitated usually there is no emotional link at all between the killer and the victim(s).

And I don't think this killer had any emotional bond with the victims. He did this to protect himself and he took the head and disposed of Shirley out of necessity hoping that link would always remain unknown.

Imo, the answer to these murders can be found right in the area the victims resided in.

In Regards to the Shirley Severance case in Sterling, Colorado:

"A young couple accused of killing the man's grandparents told police they planned the slayings so he could get his inheritance: a tiny house and $20,000, according to court documents released Wednesday."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-teens-who-killed-grandparents-wanted-money

Thing is, in the Shirley Severance case in Sterling, Colorado, the grandson did hide his deceased grandmother in Nebraska.

"They burned Shirley Severance's body in a fire pit near Sterling but later dug it up and took some remains to Nebraska, police said."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-teens-who-killed-grandparents-wanted-money
IMOO.

In Regards to the Shirley Severance case in Sterling, Colorado:

"A young couple accused of killing the man's grandparents told police they planned the slayings so he could get his inheritance: a tiny house and $20,000, according to court documents released Wednesday."

Thing is, in the Shirley Severance case in Sterling, Colorado, the grandson did hide his deceased grandmother in Nebraska.

"They burned Shirley Severance's body in a fire pit near Sterling but later dug it up and took some remains to Nebraska, police said."
IMOO.

Killers aren't always the brightest bulb on the tree.

" “They were very sharp people,” Keith Dermond said of his parents. He described his mother as a fantastic bridge player who wowed him with her crossword-puzzle-working wits.
“There’s nobody who met her that didn’t love her,” the son said, adding, “and she never gossiped.” "

IMOO.

Because that is almost UNHEARD OF, my grandmother didn't either, she wasn't one to spread rumours or get into drama, young AND OLD do that in this day and time

I just say well we don't know because we weren't THERE in response to idle gossip LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8