GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in tonight...Great Father's Day! My hubby was sick w/ a crazy cold out of the blue. Since he had great seafood the night before, I made some homemade soup, got him some Alka-Seltzer, and a hot shower worked wonders. I hate to see my hubby feel that way. Neither one of us ever catch or cold.....oh well. I am still of the opinion that somebody targeted this precious older couple, thinking they had something they didn't, and I hope it comes out soon. I was livid with the people posting on facebook, but won't go there again. Here's to next week, you get it Sheriff Sills, we are behind you 100%!

Following taking an cruise over the lake area (via Google) a few follow-up thoughts come to mind:

A. I know it's been stated that the D's have neighbors nearby - while true, my observation is their house is a good bit more isolated that most houses on lake front. There is a lot of wooded area around the house and with leaves on trees it is probably difficult to see or hear much.

B. I find the little cove their house faces is very small coming to a dark (under trees) end just beyond their home. This would be an ideal place for a quiet stealthy observer to use for observations over time. Here is a news link that provides a quick view: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...utnam-sheriff-sills-murder-interview/8816001/

C. Lets say a boat was used to arrive and leave. Would be easy for a smaller boat or even a pontoon (actually any kind of boat if as long as it is not huge) to slip into the cove and back out as needed - not being observed ("noticed")by neighbors. Esp if it is very late at night or very early wee hours of morning; and the motor is relatively quiet. My opinion is that the perp/s would be more concerned over being stealthy and unnoticed than speed of movement.

D. I do not see that Mrs. D. would have ended up near the Dam unless her body was put in the water in that general area. Seems too many turns for natural flow.

E. Has anyone here been able to identify the exact area where her remains were located? and if so, would you please post a link to map or refer me to a previous post. My guess is that this spot is the complete opposite direction (from D's home) from the direction of where the perp motored to following the drop - if boat was used for that purpose.

These points are simply my opinion only and may or may not be correct. Comments and feedback are welcome.

If the cameras were not working, how do they know for sure that every vehicle entering and leaving was accounted for? At rush hour, a guard would be hard pressed to be sure that every vehicle bypassing the guard shack lane had a sticker.

I have no clue, I'm going by Sills comment.OR by what I thought was his comment.

Does anyone remember what time that Derby party was? I'm wondering if the perps knew about that party, and knew most of the permanent residents there would be attending it. If a majority of the people were at a party, or preparing for the party, they would be distracted and not notice what's going on around them as much as they might if they were just sitting on their porches or docks, and enjoying the day. Was this party broadcast to the whole neighborhood? Or only a few families were getting together? I don't think I ever really understood that aspect of the party.

"IF" the perps stayed at the home for any significant amount of time, then IMO they knew others were occupied and less likely to come snooping around. OR they were extremely familiar with the property, and their presence there wouldn't set off any alarms to anyone that saw them there. Otherwise, this was a rather brazen crime. Too many chances of someone coming to check on the Dermonds, or pick them up for the Derby party, or stopping by for a chit chat, etc. I just don't see a random stranger spending much time at the residence. IMO, they would come in, commit their murders, and get out.

Too much just doesn't add up. If the purpose was to murder them, then why not just do that, and leave? Why behead Mr. Dermond, and why remove Mrs. Dermond from there? Much easier to just murder and leave. Maybe it gave the perps a bit of time in getting outta the area, or to another state while the LE was searching for Mrs. Dermond, but I just don't see that. IMO, there would have been one group of LE looking into the murder of Mr. Dermond, the crime scene with another group, and the abduction of Mrs. Dermond another group. So I just can't see the purpose other than adding a sense of terror among the residents, family, and LE.

Of course I don't know if Mrs. Dermond was deceased before going on the boat or not. Or even IF she went on a boat, but I cannot see her being gagged, blindfolded, or restrained and walking to the dock. Just don't see that happening. Can you imagine how much time it would take to get an elderly lady down that slope while being restrained??? Nah. And if she walked down to the dock, the dogs should have picked up her scent. Which they might have, we don't know. Maybe that's why Sills is sure a boat was used at some point. But then again, did the Sills ever walk the property? Did they walk to the dock and relax on that couch or whatever it is on the dock? Only those closest to the Dermonds would know. Did the perp take Mrs. Dermond alive with the intent to demand a ransom, and quickly decided that wouldn't work? Who knows at this point.

When this case is solved, I think it's going to be rather straight forth, versus our many theories.

It still bothers me that the deceased son was NOT mentioned in the obit. And it bothers me that the obit was so short. But each family does things differently, and some don't even have an obit published, nor have a funeral. So... I do have to keep that in mind. Not all families are alike!

As for the day of death listed, I've seen this in many cases. The official date of death is the day they are found deceased, in most of the cases I've followed here. I would assume that's the date put on the death certificates, so it's the date used in obits. But the trial may show a different time of death. I believe that due to the facts LE and the ME have, they know Mrs Dermond died on the same day Mr. Dermond died. They are using the date he was found deceased, though as Sills has stated, they believe they were dead before they were found.

As for Mrs. Dermond floating to where she ended up, looking at the layout of the lake only, IMO, she would have surfaced in one of the coves before coming to where she was "IF" she was placed in the water at their dock. Put in the water in larger open area, she may have floated near the dam. BUT, I do think she was weighted down with something, and the perp didn't feel she would surface. Considering the amount of debris, especially the trees in that lake, it is almost a miracle she did surface! Many bodies are caught in debris and never found. And depending on the type of fish in that lake, it's possible she might not have ever been found. Now WHO would benefit from that?? Who would benefit from Mr. Dermond being found deceased, and/or considered deceased before Mrs. Dermond?? Would a will be different? Would trusts be different? Did one have a will leaving their assets set up different than the other? No way of knowing at this point.

IMO, the bottom line in solving this case is figuring out WHO benefited from their deaths. WHO felt they were being slighted, or have been done wrong? What was their motive? Nothing stolen that we know of. If they had a safe at home, we don't know about it. If they kept any cash at home, we don't know about it. Was there anyone the Dermonds had been assisting over time. Maybe to help them get on the right path, or given them money in the past to keep them afloat with the declining economy? Did they mentor anyone in becoming successful, and floated them some money to get started, and the money stopped?

Or was this truly some random killer, that killed just to kill? Was the Dermonds the true target, or was their deaths to send a message to someone else to say "see we told you we are serious!"? IMO, almost a month later, and we truly do not know anything about the Dermonds.

When will Sills speak again? We get bits and pieces for a few days, and then nothing for a week, then drips again for a few days, and then silence again. I'm sure there is a purpose for that, and as someone else said, most likely what FBI is saying he should release. Maybe they have suspects in their sights, and are watching reactions to the news that is released.

Does anyone remember what time that Derby party was? I'm wondering if the perps knew about that party, and knew most of the permanent residents there would be attending it. If a majority of the people were at a party, or preparing for the party, they would be distracted and not notice what's going on around them as much as they might if they were just sitting on their porches or docks, and enjoying the day.

"IF" the perps stayed at the home for any significant amount of time, then IMO they knew others were occupied and less likely to come snooping around. OR they were extremely familiar with the property, and their presence there wouldn't set off any alarms to anyone that saw them there. Otherwise, this was a rather brazen crime. Too many chances of someone coming to check on the Dermonds, or pick them up for the Derby party, or stopping by for a chit chat, etc. I just don't see a random stranger spending much time at the residence. IMO, they would come in, commit their murders, and get out.

Too much just doesn't add up. If the purpose was to murder them, then why not just do that, and leave? Why behead Mr. Dermond, and why remove Mrs. Dermond from there? Much easier to just murder and leave. Maybe it gave the perps a bit of time in getting outta the area, or to another state while the LE was searching for Mrs. Dermond, but I just don't see that. IMO, there would have been one group of LE looking into the murder of Mr. Dermond, the crime scene with another group, and the abduction of Mrs. Dermond another group. So I just can't see the purpose other than adding a sense of terror among the residents, family, and LE.

Of course I don't know if Mrs. Dermond was deceased before going on the boat or not. Or even IF she went on a boat, but I cannot see her being gagged, blindfolded, or restrained and walking to the dock. Just don't see that happening. Can you imagine how much time it would take to get an elderly lady down that slope while being restrained??? Nah. And if she walked down to the dock, the dogs should have picked up her scent. Which they might have, we don't know. Maybe that's why Sills is sure a boat was used at some point. But then again, did the Sills ever walk the property? Did they walk to the dock and relax on that couch or whatever it is on the dock? Only those closest to the Dermonds would know. Did the perp take Mrs. Dermond alive with the intent to demand a ransom, and quickly decided that wouldn't work? Who knows at this point.

When this case is solved, I think it's going to be rather straight forth, versus our many theories.

As for Mrs. Dermond floating to where she ended up, looking at the layout of the lake only, IMO, she would have surfaced in one of the coves before coming to where she was "IF" she was placed in the water at their dock. Put in the water in larger open area, she may have floated near the dam. BUT, I do think she was weighted down with something, and the perp didn't feel she would surface. Considering the amount of debris, especially the trees in that lake, it is almost a miracle she did surface! Many bodies are caught in debris and never found. And depending on the type of fish in that lake, it's possible she might not have ever been found. Now WHO would benefit from that??

IMO, the bottom line in solving this case is figuring out WHO benefited from their deaths. WHO felt they were being slighted, or have been done wrong? What was their motive? Nothing stolen that we know of. If they had a safe at home, we don't know about it. If they kept any cash at home, we don't know about it. Was there anyone the Dermonds had been assisting over time. Maybe to help them get on the right path, or given them money in the past to keep them afloat with the declining economy? Did they mentor anyone in becoming successful, and floated them some money to get started, and the money stopped?

Or was this truly some random killer, that killed just to kill? Was the Dermonds the true target, or was their deaths to send a message to someone else to say "see we told you we are serious!"? IMO, almost a month later, and we truly do not know anything about the Dermonds.

When will Sills speak again? We get bits and pieces for a few days, and then nothing for a week, then drips again for a few days, and then silence again. I'm sure there is a purpose for that, and as someone else said, most likely what FBI is saying he should release. Maybe they have suspects in their sights, and are watching reactions to the news that is released.

<Respectfully snipped & BBM for focus>

All JMO..

2Hope4, actually we are into the 7th week since the Dermand were murdered.

Sheriff Sills was very quiet for about 10 days until announcing the reward fund. Seems, that may have been the motivation for the latest flurry of msm articles & interviews.. The investigation has apparently flat lined, at least temporarily, imo..
Imo, I think we can pretty much rule out the normal go to suspects; family, friends, business partners, etc. This usually indicates a stranger/ or slight acquaintance/s.. the most difficult homicide investigations to solve...
Imo, this was a very brazen crime and has indications of being well planned, as well as executed. Most horrific crimes of this nature are blitz attacks, and the perp/s seldom tarry at the crime scene. Imo, there is a crime scene that has yet to be identified..
Imo, the k9s did not pick up the scent leading to the Dermond's dock. It was days later that the shoe/boot print was located by investigators, imo. Assuming that the print, and the neighbor's info that witnessed a man walking up the incline, was what led them to the dock area....

Kentucky Derby Schedule; Imo, the Derby Party would have began around 4PM est on Saturday May 3, 2014...
http://www.kentuckyderby.ag/kentuckyderby-schedule.php

FYI - BOLO-
https://www.facebook.com/jaspercountymissourisheriff
Jasper County Sheriff's Office
May 9 (Scroll down to view Sketches)
Attached are sketches of two men we are trying to identify from a felonious restraint and armed criminal action case. They were driving a white, Chevrolet Tahoe type vehicle with aftermarket chrome wheels. The thinner one is around 6 feet tall and slim build. The heavier one is about 5&#8217;6&#8221; to 5&#8217;8&#8221; and about 300 lbs., stocky build, bald with a dark red beard. If you recognize these individuals, please contact Det. Roy Masters 358-8177 Ext# 1258.

Capt. Walrod 358-8177 Ext#1103

Monticello, GA to Reynolds Plantation - Google Maps - 33.9 miles
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mon...8999ef897c34!2m2!1d-83.194609!2d33.438984!3e0

FYI - BOLO-
Attached are sketches of two men we are trying to identify from a felonious restraint and armed criminal action case. They were driving a white, Chevrolet Tahoe type vehicle with aftermarket chrome wheels. The thinner one is around 6 feet tall and slim build. The heavier one is about 5’6” to 5’8” and about 300 lbs., stocky build, bald with a dark red beard. If you recognize these individuals, please contact Det. Roy Masters 358-8177 Ext# 1258.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mon...8999ef897c34!2m2!1d-83.194609!2d33.438984!3e0

The thin one looks like a Conehead with Mr. Spock's pointy ears. ODD!

Thank you so much for answering my question, lakeoconee.:heart:

It may not have been you but I thought you said it would only take about 15 minutes by water or was that another local poster?

If they even had a 20 HP motor then I don't think it would take them long at all. My hubby, my brother, and myself have fished the Flint River in a 14 feet Jon boat when we are fishing for large catfish. We go at least that many miles or more and it doesn't take much time.

One thing why it doesn't take nearly as long as it would by road is because there are no stop signs and once out in the deep water there aren't even wake speed limits either. Its just full speed ahead once we get out on the big open water.:floorlaugh:

I did say that. Talked about different kinds of boats, but when I picture a jon boar, I think of a tuk tuk motor, tho that's not necessarily true. I am trying to see how you (and others) are visualizing this body transport business.

If I were doing it, I would put the deceased SD in car trunk or covered pick up bed. Put her in my boat, not used the Dermond's dock at all. Second option would be to put deceasesd SD on my boat at their dock. I do not think killing her on the boat makes good sense. Not that it's not possible, just much riskier,

FYI - BOLO-
Attached are sketches of two men we are trying to identify from a felonious restraint and armed criminal action case. They were driving a white, Chevrolet Tahoe type vehicle with aftermarket chrome wheels. The thinner one is around 6 feet tall and slim build. The heavier one is about 5’6” to 5’8” and about 300 lbs., stocky build, bald with a dark red beard. If you recognize these individuals, please contact Det. Roy Masters 358-8177 Ext# 1258.

It would be interesting to know more information about the "felonious restraint and armed criminal case". Like was it a bank or convenience store robbery or home invasion theft? both of which could involve innocent people being restrained illegally and subjected to possible harm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

If the cameras were not working, how do they know for sure that every vehicle entering and leaving was accounted for? At rush hour, a guard would be hard pressed to be sure that every vehicle bypassing the guard shack lane had a sticker.

I posted a picture early on of the guard shack lane - at least 4 vehicles were entering at one time. Guard was standing on the porch and waving the vehicles through. They weren't cops coming in - looked like just regular folks. I do not think that every vehicle entering and leaving was accounted for, but that's just my opinion.

I still can't get past the fact that:

1. Nobody went to physically check on the Dermonds when they were NO-SHOWS at the Derby Party when they had RSVP'd they would be attending.

2. Nobody called or physically checked on the Dermonds when they were NO-SHOWS at church - which has been said they attended EVERY service except when visiting their children out of state.

3. It took until Tuesday for the neighbor to report something suspicious - Tuesday when Shirley would have been waiting for a ride to her bridge game and Russell would have been helping the neighbor.

Were the Dermonds not really close to other GW/RP members and neighbors? I find it hard to believe no one suspected something was awry Saturday. Was everyone in that community feeling so secure that nothing as horrible as what happened to Dermonds would ever happen to them? Sheriff Sills said he couldn't even remember a robbery ever being reported in the GW/RP community. Somebody realized that these people were sitting ducks. They knew the guards were lax on their jobs. They knew the cameras were out. They knew they could dispose of Shirley's body by lake and return to the area with no one the wiser.

Ugh! The perp must be feeling pretty smug right now. Perhaps that will be his downfall. Right now I am feeling he's committed the perfect crime.

I posted a picture early on of the guard shack lane - at least 4 vehicles were entering at one time. Guard was standing on the porch and waving the vehicles through. They weren't cops coming in - looked like just regular folks. I do not think that every vehicle entering and leaving was accounted for, but that's just my opinion.

1. Nobody went to physically check on the Dermonds when they were NO-SHOWS at the Derby Party when they had RSVP'd they would be attending.

2. Nobody called or physically checked on the Dermonds when they were NO-SHOWS at church - which has been said they attended EVERY service except when visiting their children out of state.

3. It took until Tuesday for the neighbor to report something suspicious - Tuesday when Shirley would have been waiting for a ride to her bridge game and Russell would have been helping the neighbor.

Were the Dermonds not really close to other GW/RP members and neighbors? I find it hard to believe no one suspected something was awry Saturday. Was everyone in that community feeling so secure that nothing as horrible as what happened to Dermonds would ever happen to them? Sheriff Sills said he couldn't even remember a robbery ever being reported in the GW/RP community. Somebody realized that these people were sitting ducks. They knew the guards were lax on their jobs. They knew the cameras were out. They knew they could dispose of Shirley's body by lake and return to the area with no one the wiser.

Ugh! The perp must be feeling pretty smug right now. Perhaps that will be his downfall. Right now I am feeling he's committed the perfect crime.

I will give you my take on your points. Cars with property owners stickers are waved through. I have said before that I don't think anybody here mistakes the security gate as police/military operation. They have a list of approved visitors, if not they call the homeowner. They give directions to visitors. They are not rent-a-cops. The comings and goings of each vehicle has never been tracked.

I don't think it's very odd that somebody didn't go over at Derby party time. May be a blessing that they didn't or there's be another victim. Somebody pointed out that since they are a couple in good health, it would be totally unexpected for them to both be stricken at the same time.

As I understand it although friendly the D's were private.

Why wouldn't the church crowd not assume the D;s were visiting family or just had other plans for the day?

Nobody really knew the cameras were there so they sure didn't know they weren't working.
JMO

The thin one looks like a Conehead with Mr. Spock's pointy ears. ODD!

Extraterrestial for sure. Hoodlums! Maybe they're feeling a little desperate right now. Good sketches to make an ID. Let's hope!

Yep Bootsctr, a recipe for disaster; a false sense of security combined with lax security...
"There is no such thing as the perfect crime, only imperfect investigations"..

I will give you my take on your points. Cars with property owners stickers are waved through. I have said before that I don't think anybody here mistakes the security gate as police/military operation. They have a list of approved visitors, if not they call the homeowner. They give directions to visitors. They are not rent-a-cops. The comings and goings of each vehicle has never been tracked.

I don't think it's very odd that somebody didn't go over at Derby party time. May be a blessing that they didn't or there's be another victim. Somebody pointed out that since they are a couple in good health, it would be totally unexpected for them to both be stricken at the same time.

As I understand it although friendly the D's were private.

Why wouldn't the church crowd not assume the D;s were visiting family or just had other plans for the day?

Nobody really knew the cameras were there so they sure didn't know they weren't working.
JMO

Thank you! :seeya: Excellent rebuttal.

FYI - BOLO-
Attached are sketches of two men we are trying to identify from a felonious restraint and armed criminal action case. They were driving a white, Chevrolet Tahoe type vehicle with aftermarket chrome wheels. The thinner one is around 6 feet tall and slim build. The heavier one is about 5&#8217;6&#8221; to 5&#8217;8&#8221; and about 300 lbs., stocky build, bald with a dark red beard. If you recognize these individuals, please contact Det. Roy Masters 358-8177 Ext# 1258.

Foxfire, The FB page you linked is in Jasper County Missouri.

Jasper County, GA is on our route to Sinclair and is where the Eyes on Egipt bookstore is that I mentioned previously...

https://www.facebook.com/jaspercosheriff/info

Reference: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

And this seemed unusual to me:

"(Unnamed), who said she played newcomers&#8217; bridge with Shirley when she first moved to the Lake Country, had been driving Shirley to Tuesday club gatherings at The Plaza for some time.

She said she wondered about the crime-scene tape when she drove down Carolyn Drive to the Dermonds&#8217; home at the end of the cul-de-sac May 6.

When she couldn&#8217;t pull into the driveway, (Unnamed) said she waited &#8220;quite awhile&#8221; &#8211; then, she said, a detective came to ask her about it.

&#8220;I explained about bridge, I said, &#8216;I&#8217;ll have to go on or I&#8217;ll be late,&#8217;&#8221; (Unnamed) said last week. &#8220;Then I found out about 9 o&#8217;clock that Shirley was missing,&#8221; she said, shaking her head."

Arrives at a close friend's house, sees crime scene tape, talks to a detective, goes on to the club and plays, returns home and hears the story late that night? Does this say something about the closeness of this relationship and possibly about the typical relationship the Dermonds may have had with neighbors?

O/T for those in GA and elsewhere who may have followed this:

Per WSB Andrea Sneiderman has been released from prison.

Foxfire, The FB page you linked is in Jasper County Missouri.

Jasper County, GA is on our route to Sinclair and is where the Eyes on Egipt bookstore is that I mentioned previously...

https://www.facebook.com/jaspercosheriff/info

Thanx for keeping me straight, Carolinapeach..& posting the correct facebook link..
Noticed a comment that said; 'looks like Methamphetamine is making its way back to GA'.. Well, I didn't know that it had ever left....GA prisons are the training grounds for meth manufacturing...imo

Nobody really knew the cameras were there so they sure didn't know they weren't working. JMO

Wouldn't the guards know the cameras were there and were not working?

Were the cameras taken out by the storm that passed through the area around April 28th? Because on the Nuwabian cult site they have the picture of that beautiful HUGE tree that was blown over in that storm with the caption of Sheriff Sills saying at least no one was killed and then reply below that picture was..... "Well it's not the end of the day yet." Creepy, creepy, creepy!

Not trying to be argumentative. I just don't understand why it took so long for it to be noticed that the cameras were not working. The guards don't monitor any cameras?

One more question, how has the atmosphere changed around GW/RP? I assume everyone is being more cautious. Everyone's cameras are working. The guards are carefully checking vehicles entering and leaving. Everyone is surely locking their doors and setting their alarms. I am just pondering why so long to know the cameras weren't working. . . . . . . :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialynn13