GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reference: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

And this seemed unusual to me:

"(Unnamed), who said she played newcomers’ bridge with Shirley when she first moved to the Lake Country, had been driving Shirley to Tuesday club gatherings at The Plaza for some time.

She said she wondered about the crime-scene tape when she drove down Carolyn Drive to the Dermonds’ home at the end of the cul-de-sac May 6.

When she couldn’t pull into the driveway, (Unnamed) said she waited “quite awhile” – then, she said, a detective came to ask her about it.

“I explained about bridge, I said, ‘I’ll have to go on or I’ll be late,’” (Unnamed) said last week. “Then I found out about 9 o’clock that Shirley was missing,” she said, shaking her head."

Arrives at a close friend's house, sees crime scene tape, talks to a detective, goes on to the club and plays, returns home and hears the story late that night? Does this say something about the closeness of this relationship and possibly about the typical relationship the Dermonds may have had with neighbors?

Yep! That's pretty weird too! And the neighbor who went to the vigil and was upset because LE was hanging around STILL. Has society really become that superficial??? <OPINION ONLY>It's like nobody really cared about them. That's harsh, but it's how I feel. I'd be thanking my lucky stars it wasn't me and praying to the Good Lord above that LE was still hanging around. Even if I was trying to sell my house and even if it had been the wrong address, I would be on my bended KNEES praying to God they caught the devil who did this to the Dermonds.

<OPINION ONLY> Thinking about dumping Mrs. Dermond in the water. . . could she have been sexually assaulted and the perp thought by dumping her in the water that would cleanse her of his DNA? ? ? Rape is not a sexual emotion. It is about being in control of the situation. Someone in a fit of rage because they were unsuccessful in getting what they really wanted might have taken it out on Shirley by raping her in front of Russell. Depending on decomposition if her upper body and torso were still intact and there was penetration Shirley could have the DNA that's needed to solve this case if and when the perp's DNA is put into the system. Sorry! This is all my opinion and speculation. It's horrible, but Sheriff Sills needs to find who did this before it happens again.

Reference: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

And this seemed unusual to me:

"(Unnamed), who said she played newcomers’ bridge with Shirley when she first moved to the Lake Country, had been driving Shirley to Tuesday club gatherings at The Plaza for some time.

She said she wondered about the crime-scene tape when she drove down Carolyn Drive to the Dermonds’ home at the end of the cul-de-sac May 6.

When she couldn’t pull into the driveway, (Unnamed) said she waited “quite awhile” – then, she said, a detective came to ask her about it.

“I explained about bridge, I said, ‘I’ll have to go on or I’ll be late,’” (Unnamed) said last week. “Then I found out about 9 o’clock that Shirley was missing,” she said, shaking her head."

Arrives at a close friend's house, sees crime scene tape, talks to a detective, goes on to the club and plays, returns home and hears the story late that night? Does this say something about the closeness of this relationship and possibly about the typical relationship the Dermonds may have had with neighbors?

Mrs. D was no gossip but I doubt that description extends to the entire bridge club. I feel in [unnamed]'s position, most folks would then proceed to the bridge game and the first topic of conversation and probably the dominant one would be the heavy LE presence and the crime scene tape at the Dermond residence.

Now later when speaking to press about that day I might not divulge that we had all talked about it and tried to figure out what was going on but it wouldn't mean we hadn't. KWIM?

Very Very Good Post

Just To Add A Few MINR Things

If A,Dead Body ONLY FloatEd And Never SUNK, then Knowing These Lakes, Turns And currents, I Wouod Say That Sd Probably Was Dropped Near Her Home And Floated But If That Were The Case, She,Woukd Have Been Discovered In 1 Day

When Something Sits On Bottom Of Lake With No FloatAtion it,Drags The Bottom, Sometimes Never Even moving . Weve Found Thjngs At End Of Our Dock 5 Years After Wind Blew It In, Not Heavy Stuff either
Knowing These Things Leads Me To Believe She,Was Dumped Where Found,Vtethered Or Not, Maybe Snagged Under In The Roots And brambles Keeping Her From Surfacing Sooner I Had Asked The,Same,Quiestiin In Thread 1 Or 2 When Sd Was Found, Asking If It Meant She Had beenL Alive And Abducted, being Killed A Week After Rd, I dont Think So now

Also Trees On Google Are Deceiving, Only Cedars Branches Voto The Ground, Trunks On Deciduous Trees Give a vilew To The Lake And Adjoining Properties Next Lots And Across Lake

I Think RD Was The Target Because Of Beheadung, She Was In The,Way Or A Witness If Shed Lived,

Question Is: WHY BEHEAD HIM BUT TAKE HER?? Seems Clear Someone Wanted Him Seen This,Way And Her To Not Be Found, Maybe Just Her Being Gone Confused The Investigstiin A Bit But Seriiusly Wanted Him To Be Seen For Some Reason

Neither Put Up A FighT, That Was Reported, If true

I ThinK then, Both Never Knew What Hit Them, No puns

It Appears, Someone Was Sending A Message

I Agree They Are Gone Now, But My Paranoia Remains, Saw Some Suspicious Night Fishermen Last Night, toME, Anyway

Ill Correct Anything My Phone Did Without my Approval haha

[TQUOTE=2Hope4;10628718]Does anyone remember what time that Derby party was? I'm wondering if the perps knew about that party, and knew most of the permanent residents there would be attending it. If a majority of the people were at a party, or preparing for the party, they would be distracted and not notice what's going on around them as much as they might if they were just sitting on their porches or docks, and enjoying the day. Was this party broadcast to the whole neighborhood? Or only a few families were getting together? I don't think I ever really understood that aspect of the party.

"IF" the perps stayed at the home for any significant amount of time, then IMO they knew others were occupied and less likely to come snooping around. OR they were extremely familiar with the property, and their presence there wouldn't set off any alarms to anyone that saw them there. Otherwise, this was a rather brazen crime. Too many chances of someone coming to check on the Dermonds, or pick them up for the Derby party, or stopping by for a chit chat, etc. I just don't see a random stranger spending much time at the residence. IMO, they would come in, commit their murders, and get out.

Too much just doesn't add up. If the purpose was to murder them, then why not just do that, and leave? Why behead Mr. Dermond, and why remove Mrs. Dermond from there? Much easier to just murder and leave. Maybe it gave the perps a bit of time in getting outta the area, or to another state while the LE was searching for Mrs. Dermond, but I just don't see that. IMO, there would have been one group of LE looking into the murder of Mr. Dermond, the crime scene with another group, and the abduction of Mrs. Dermond another group. So I just can't see the purpose other than adding a sense of terror among the residents, family, and LE.

Of course I don't know if Mrs. Dermond was deceased before going on the boat or not. Or even IF she went on a boat, but I cannot see her being gagged, blindfolded, or restrained and walking to the dock. Just don't see that happening. Can you imagine how much time it would take to get an elderly lady down that slope while being restrained??? Nah. And if she walked down to the dock, the dogs should have picked up her scent. Which they might have, we don't know. Maybe that's why Sills is sure a boat was used at some point. But then again, did the Sills ever walk the property? Did they walk to the dock and relax on that couch or whatever it is on the dock? Only those closest to the Dermonds would know. Did the perp take Mrs. Dermond alive with the intent to demand a ransom, and quickly decided that wouldn't work? Who knows at this point.

When this case is solved, I think it's going to be rather straight forth, versus our many theories.

It still bothers me that the deceased son was NOT mentioned in the obit. And it bothers me that the obit was so short. But each family does things differently, and some don't even have an obit published, nor have a funeral. So... I do have to keep that in mind. Not all families are alike!

As for the day of death listed, I've seen this in many cases. The official date of death is the day they are found deceased, in most of the cases I've followed here. I would assume that's the date put on the death certificates, so it's the date used in obits. But the trial may show a different time of death. I believe that due to the facts LE and the ME have, they know Mrs Dermond died on the same day Mr. Dermond died. They are using the date he was found deceased, though as Sills has stated, they believe they were dead before they were found.

As for Mrs. Dermond floating to where she ended up, looking at the layout of the lake only, IMO, she would have surfaced in one of the coves before coming to where she was "IF" she was placed in the water at their dock. Put in the water in larger open area, she may have floated near the dam. BUT, I do think she was weighted down with something, and the perp didn't feel she would surface. Considering the amount of debris, especially the trees in that lake, it is almost a miracle she did surface! Many bodies are caught in debris and never found. And depending on the type of fish in that lake, it's possible she might not have ever been found. Now WHO would benefit from that?? Who would benefit from Mr. Dermond being found deceased, and/or considered deceased before Mrs. Dermond?? Would a will be different? Would trusts be different? Did one have a will leaving their assets set up different than the other? No way of knowing at this point.

IMO, the bottom line in solving this case is figuring out WHO benefited from their deaths. WHO felt they were being slighted, or have been done wrong? What was their motive? Nothing stolen that we know of. If they had a safe at home, we don't know about it. If they kept any cash at home, we don't know about it. Was there anyone the Dermonds had been assisting over time. Maybe to help them get on the right path, or given them money in the past to keep them afloat with the declining economy? Did they mentor anyone in becoming successful, and floated them some money to get started, and the money stopped?

Or was this truly some random killer, that killed just to kill? Was the Dermonds the true target, or was their deaths to send a message to someone else to say "see we told you we are serious!"? IMO, almost a month later, and we truly do not know anything about the Dermonds.

When will Sills speak again? We get bits and pieces for a few days, and then nothing for a week, then drips again for a few days, and then silence again. I'm sure there is a purpose for that, and as someone else said, most likely what FBI is saying he should release. Maybe they have suspects in their sights, and are watching reactions to the news that is released.[/QUOTE]

The party was most likely Club sponsored. I think if it had been a private party and they said they were coming, and did not show up...I think that they would have been checked on sooner. At a Club event, people make and break reservations all the time. Someone might say...."I thought so-and-so was coming" and then it's forgotten.

Considering their age, this couple had their activities, an active church life, but they may have been private people, content with each other's company. Apparently there was no one that they checked in with every day...not even their children.

It looks to me like several of the homes on that cul-de-sac are for sale. Some are on the main lake and could well be vacant. There is a huge home near them up for sale. If the motive was robbery, these houses seem like less of a risk and one would be less suspicious out in open water...then sitting in a narrow cove, watching a house.

I just don't think this was randoml

Thank you! :seeya: Excellent rebuttal.

Don't mean to rebut, just giving my POV.

About two weeks after Russ's body was found Reynolds Plantation mailed out their quarterly update about projects, events, etc. The irony is that in that publication it was announced that EZ pass systems would be installed at all entrances. This had be in the works before the murders. It's a slick full color beautiful pamphlet, not a newsletter.

If the perps came by lake it would have not have helped, but there would be time stamped records of all vehicles belonging to property owners, employees and contractors. Something to think about,

tomkat,

I've read on the Sinclair FB page that a couple people near the dam have heard a very loud boat with NO lights in the middle of the night and another? boat shining a bright spotlight around the properties. We aren't anywhere near there but I have been keeping all outside flood lights on around the house. I guess I will start turning on all the dock lights too. Hate having to because of all the bugs. Ugh!

Thank you 2Hope4! TK is correct IMO of a most excellent post by you!

I've snipped and pasted a bit, but tried to keep the integrity of your great post intact.

I've responded to some of your post in red, but I think you are asking the right questions too!

Does anyone remember what time that Derby party was? I'm wondering if the perps knew about that party, and knew most of the permanent residents there would be attending it. If a majority of the people were at a party, or preparing for the party, they would be distracted and not notice what's going on around them as much as they might if they were just sitting on their porches or docks, and enjoying the day. Was this party broadcast to the whole neighborhood? Or only a few families were getting together? I don't think I ever really understood that aspect of the party.

Nobody is talking about the Derby Party. It's like that proverbial ELEPHANT in the room again. Couple of thoughts on the Derby Party.

1. We know the Dermonds residence was called by someone from the "party" and no one answered. Did someone at that point call LE and ask that a welfare check be made on the Dermonds? Because if they did and LE did NOT respond that certainly would NOT put Sheriff Sills in a good light. Oh nothing ever happens at GW/RP, people are just being paranoid

2. Could the perp have attended the "Party" and been the one to call the Dermonds and say they didn't answer and tell the other party goers "oh maybe Shirley isn't feeling well or perhaps one of their children came for a surprise visit." Thus calming everyone that it was no big deal the Dermonds were NO-SHOWS when they had indeed RSVP'd.

"IF" the perps stayed at the home for any significant amount of time, then IMO they knew others were occupied and less likely to come snooping around. OR they were extremely familiar with the property, and their presence there wouldn't set off any alarms to anyone that saw them there. Otherwise, this was a rather brazen crime. Too many chances of someone coming to check on the Dermonds, or pick them up for the Derby party, or stopping by for a chit chat, etc. I just don't see a random stranger spending much time at the residence. IMO, they would come in, commit their murders, and get out.

Yes, do it and get the he!! out of there. Did they think this house was the one for sale? Mistaken identity/wrong address and thought since the house was for sale and thought the seller was not even living in the house... Much food for thought. Makes me mind wander to the scenario of perp/perps were controlling the crime scene. I too agree with you thinking this was not a random stranger. Again, were they comfortable because they knew the cameras not working? Did they know when the Dermonds usually set their alarms and struck before they had a chance to set the alarms?

Too much just doesn't add up. If the purpose was to murder them, then why not just do that, and leave? Why behead Mr. Dermond, and why remove Mrs. Dermond from there? Much easier to just murder and leave. Maybe it gave the perps a bit of time in getting outta the area, or to another state while the LE was searching for Mrs. Dermond, but I just don't see that. IMO, there would have been one group of LE looking into the murder of Mr. Dermond, the crime scene with another group, and the abduction of Mrs. Dermond another group. So I just can't see the purpose other than adding a sense of terror among the residents, family, and LE.

Of course I don't know if Mrs. Dermond was deceased before going on the boat or not. Or even IF she went on a boat, but I cannot see her being gagged, blindfolded, or restrained and walking to the dock. Just don't see that happening. Can you imagine how much time it would take to get an elderly lady down that slope while being restrained??? Nah. And if she walked down to the dock, the dogs should have picked up her scent. Which they might have, we don't know. Maybe that's why Sills is sure a boat was used at some point. But then again, did the Sills ever walk the property? Did they walk to the dock and relax on that couch or whatever it is on the dock? Only those closest to the Dermonds would know. Did the perp take Mrs. Dermond alive with the intent to demand a ransom, and quickly decided that wouldn't work? Who knows at this point.

Right! No one knows so we are left to own theories. I just figure Shirley's scent was everywhere on the property. The dogs would hit on the freshest scent of Shirley's, if I understand how the dogs work a scene. If she was dead at the pier then the scent dogs that detect death would have hit there. However, if she was alive, bound and gagged and walked to the concrete pathway with a perp on each side (or just one perp - I'm of the opinion still that one person could have pulled this off)and still alive the dogs would have given the signal that Shirley was alive and left by boat. So I think she was alive when she left the pier. To me that indicates someone with a little bit of LE knowledge and how dogs work off scents, live versus death. However, Sills knows if the dogs hit death or alive there at the "area of interest." Maybe why not much of a public appeal from the Family as they were told the dogs indicated Shirley was dead by the time she was taken.

When this case is solved, I think it's going to be rather straight forth, versus our many theories.

It still bothers me that the deceased son was NOT mentioned in the obit. And it bothers me that the obit was so short. But each family does things differently, and some don't even have an obit published, nor have a funeral. So... I do have to keep that in mind. Not all families are alike!

As for the day of death listed, I've seen this in many cases. The official date of death is the day they are found deceased, in most of the cases I've followed here. I would assume that's the date put on the death certificates, so it's the date used in obits. But the trial may show a different time of death. I believe that due to the facts LE and the ME have, they know Mrs Dermond died on the same day Mr. Dermond died. They are using the date he was found deceased, though as Sills has stated, they believe they were dead before they were found.

As for Mrs. Dermond floating to where she ended up, looking at the layout of the lake only, IMO, she would have surfaced in one of the coves before coming to where she was "IF" she was placed in the water at their dock. Put in the water in larger open area, she may have floated near the dam. BUT, I do think she was weighted down with something, and the perp didn't feel she would surface. Considering the amount of debris, especially the trees in that lake, it is almost a miracle she did surface! Sheriff Sills said Shirley was placed where she was found and not adrift. I too think she was weighted down, but again Sills is holding his cards regarding weighted or not weighted close to his chest.

Many bodies are caught in debris and never found. And depending on the type of fish in that lake, it's possible she might not have ever been found. Now WHO would benefit from that?? Who would benefit from Mr. Dermond being found deceased, and/or considered deceased before Mrs. Dermond?? Would a will be different? Would trusts be different? Did one have a will leaving their assets set up different than the other? No way of knowing at this point. Great questions!!! I haven't a clue, but I think the daughter and two sons are wealthy on their own and I don't see them wanting their parents dead to benefit from anything. Extended family maybe, but can't go there because no mention in MSM. But as you said earlier, at this point who knows!!!

IMO, the bottom line in solving this case is figuring out WHO benefited from their deaths. WHO felt they were being slighted, or have been done wrong? What was their motive? Nothing stolen that we know of. If they had a safe at home, we don't know about it. If they kept any cash at home, we don't know about it. Was there anyone the Dermonds had been assisting over time. Maybe to help them get on the right path, or given them money in the past to keep them afloat with the declining economy? Did they mentor anyone in becoming successful, and floated them some money to get started, and the money stopped?

Or was this truly some random killer, that killed just to kill? Was the Dermonds the true target, or was their deaths to send a message to someone else to say "see we told you we are serious!"? IMO, almost a month later, and we truly do not know anything about the Dermonds.

When will Sills speak again? We get bits and pieces for a few days, and then nothing for a week, then drips again for a few days, and then silence again. I'm sure there is a purpose for that, and as someone else said, most likely what FBI is saying he should release. Maybe they have suspects in their sights, and are watching reactions to the news that is released.

Could the perp have attended the Derby party and the same church at the Dermonds? If so and some were concerned they weren't at church on Sunday this same person from the party again calmed the group and said he/she said they're fine. I saw him walking Friday morning. Their kids might have showed up for a surprise visit. But I'm sure that if Shirley knew her daughter or either son was coming for a visit - she would have mentioned it on Thursday at the bridge game because "she loved talking about her daughter" and she probably would have told the bridge ladies that family was coming for the weekend. I don't believe that happened. They probably had talked about "the Derby party" during the bridge game and Shirley had told her partner and other members that she and Russ had already RSVP'd to be at the Party. What is that I hear - an elephant?

Thank you 2Hope4 for a great post and excellent questions. I think we must be related. Just emptied my dryer and put the lint in the compost. Hens are laying like little egg-laying machines. Anybody need a dozen of fresh eggs? :seeya:

Don't mean to rebut, just giving my POV.

About two weeks after Russ's body was found Reynolds Plantation mailed out their quarterly update about projects, events, etc. The irony is that in that publication it was announced that EZ pass systems would be installed at all entrances. This had be in the works before the murders. It's a slick full color beautiful pamphlet, not a newsletter.

If the perps came by lake it would have not have helped, but there would be time stamped records of all vehicles belonging to property owners, employees and contractors. Something to think about,

Please continue to give your POV. Local insight is invaluable to us here at Websleuths.

Oh that is very ironic about the EZ pass system. Hmmmmmmm and definitely something to think about. Especially if it was in the works before the murders. Maybe some residents there at Reynolds Plantation were missing small stuff - weed-eaters, gas tanks for filling up lawnmowers, etc. Just didn't think it was a big deal and were in the process of putting a stop to that kind of nonsense - thinking it was just some kids and not a serious danger.

So the newsletter is typically just printed on plain paper and not slick paper with beautiful pictures of the Plantation. I bet the Nuwabians hated that this place was named Reynolds Plantation. Plantation brings to mind beautiful Southern homes that once were kept neat and spotless by former slaves. York probably preached many a sermon about the evil atrocities committed by people who lived on plantations. Again, not sure this had anything to do with the cult, but I cannot rule out some association with these people and what happened.

Nor, can I rule out that the perp lived right there at GW/RP and controlled that crime scene from Friday until Monday. . . . . . when the police were contacted. Some people can be so brazen (or dumb). Just thinking about poor Shirley Severance and her husband. Wondered if the perps had heard about the murder of Shirley Severance and her husband and then committed the atrocities against the Dermonds - copy-cat murders.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10604961&highlight=shirley+severance#post10604961

Grandson and girlfriend murdered them. Very graphic details at Ms. Severance's thread. Grandson called the police to report his grandfather dead.

tomkat,

I've read on the Sinclair FB page that a couple people near the dam have heard a very loud boat with NO lights in the middle of the night and another? boat shining a bright spotlight around the properties. We aren't anywhere near there but I have been keeping all outside flood lights on around the house. I guess I will start turning on all the dock lights too. Hate having to because of all the bugs. Ugh!

Be safe Carolinapeach! Turn those lights on. Can you have ducks? Ducks love to eat those bugs that are attracted to the lights ('specially June Bugs). Scoop'em up like candy with their bills - and they're quite comical.

Again, be safe! Take every safety precaution you can. We know the perps are still out there. If I was those couple of people near the dam hearing a loud boat and no lights in the middle of the night shining a spot light - I'd be calling LE just in case. That's their job to check out suspicious activity. Nip it in the bud. Could be just innocent night fisherman spot-lighting fish bow hunting, but you can't be too safe. :seeya:

I did say that. Talked about different kinds of boats, but when I picture a jon boar, I think of a tuk tuk motor, tho that's not necessarily true. I am trying to see how you (and others) are visualizing this body transport business.

If I were doing it, I would put the deceased SD in car trunk or covered pick up bed. Put her in my boat, not used the Dermond's dock at all. Second option would be to put deceasesd SD on my boat at their dock. I do not think killing her on the boat makes good sense. Not that it's not possible, just much riskier,

Jon boats are very lightweight and can go rather fast. They do really clip right along. Jon boats have been used to transport murdered bodies even before this theory came up in this case. So we already know it is doable from a boat as small as a 12-14 foot Jon boat.

And I truly understand your opinion though and highly respect it like I do all others here.:)

It just shows that two individuals can look at the same theory and come to a different conclusion.

To me it would be much more riskier to load the body up in the trunk of a car or in the bed of the truck. Even when cars are cleaned well by a suspect most all the time the forensic techs are able to find evidence that the victim had been in the trunk. Hair, fiber, saliva, blood, brain matter... etc. After all we do know that Shirley was bludgeoned to death. I have never seen one bludgeoning murder case that did not produce blood loss and all the ones I have kept up with not only had blood loss but in great quantities. Plus Sills said he firmly believes boat was used in the transporting of Shirley so what he has stated cant be overlooked since he is privy to the evidence and we arent, imo.

The killer would have to take the chance of not only killing her some other place...then struggling to move dead weight while loading her up somewhere, and the head into the trunk, but he would also have to unload it once again, and re-load her, and the head onto a boat. That is a lot of wasted body moving around, imo and way more risks of being seen.

If he used a vehicle to transport that means he would have to go out the front entrance and come back in if he lived or was staying there. So he is seen and noticed especially if this happened in the middle of the night when the traffic at the gate was probably down to almost no one going out or in. Why would he want to draw attention to himself? Why take that risk when it wasn't even necessary?

As far as striking her in the head while on the boat, I am not sure I understand why some don't think that can be done? It was done at night imo. No one evidently was out there when he took her out. So lets say he has her curled up in the bottom of the boat bound and gagged. Sometimes when we are fishing all day during the daytime ,I just curled up on the bottom of the boat in one of the sections and take me a little nap. No one passing by even knows I am there with my hubby:D

So he strikes her over the head once he reaches the location he wants to dispose of her body in, (bludgeoning someone to death makes no noise)....just a dull thud as her skull is struck. Then he removes any identifiable evidence off of the body such as zip ties or duct tape and throws her overboard.......watches until she sinks, and then he goes back to his own boat dock. He may have left from his own dock like you say but I believe at the time she was alive and being forced onto his boat at that time.

No excessive loading required or unloading or reloading and off loading again and reloading again.

Killing her beforehand is not only not necessary but it is much much safer to kill her on the boat instead. It cuts out him from having to have so much body movement going on with one body, and a head. It also cuts down the many risks of being seen doing each loading and unloading. It also excludes the evidence being left behind in his own private vehicle or any other place if he had to load, offload, reload, and then offload again.

Imo, the perfect place to murder Shirley was on his boat when he had her miles away from GW out in the area of the water he had already planned to put her in.

JMO though......

Respectfully snipped for focus.:)

Excellent Post 2Hope4.

I do believe you are right when you posted this statement above.

This killer will not turnout to be someone who would be great for a made for tv fictional movie. Imo, it is not a hit of any kind. No drug cartel, no cult hit... nor mafia hit... nor was it a hit man who was hired by any family members. In fact one thing Sills has never let up on is the killer knew the Dermonds personally only if just as an acquaintance, and I really don't think Shirley or Russ hung around or knew any hit men. Sills said both of them had lived a very clean and honorable life. There are no skeletons in their closet nor in the closet of their children either. IMO

None of these type of hit men have these MOs. They are in and out in a flash. They don't go scurrying around cutting heads off and taking it with them to hide evidence. They leave the head right there feet away from the body. Nor do hit men waste their time, effort, or take great risks to take a victim they have murdered and place them in deep water hoping they will never be found.

Benefited and in what way can be rather confusing. Many family members have benefited monetarily afterwards of course throughout the years from their loved ones being murdered when they inherited their estate and yet plenty of them weren't involved in the murder of their loved ones.

If that is the way LE went about rounding up suspects then anyone that inherits from a murdered victim would always be their targets. I really feel that Sills nor the FBI have had tunnel vision in this case. Their eyes are wide open. They are not fooled by what the real killer wants them to 'believe or think happened' and I positively think he motive was hoping would get them sidetracked in the weeds and wanted them to believe some big bad hit man had done this and abducted Shirley and wanted them to think she was alive out there 'somewhere." I am glad Sills never really bought that line of bull.

Unfortunately many with wealth/money have been murdered. Being wealthy does not immune anyone including them from being victims of homicide. We have seen some horrific murder cases where home invaders/armed robbers targeted huge nice homes in a wealthy neighborhood and murdered the homeowners inside when the homeowners discovered them there.:(

So in the end, if, and, when a suspect is ever caught, I think it is going to be like so many other cases where the victims and the murderer lived in close proximity of each other and were acquainted in someway. Many times the suspect does turnout to be a neighbor/acquaintance or someone living in the area. I don't expect this case to be any different. This is a Putnam County homegrown killer imo and he knew them, and they knew him ...if only slightly.

As I said 'benefited' is a very subjective word that can have so many different meanings when it comes to murders.

Whoever this killer is he sure thought by silencing S&R it would benefit him in someway. If the Dermonds knew anything on the killer... that he knew... if told to anyone... it could turn his life upside down as he knows it... then he obviously would think silencing both of them was the thing he needed to do. He sure wouldn't be the first person nor will he be the last who has murdered in order to keep his secret hidden from being known.

Then if FoxFire is right, and its a random serial killer then the murders themselves are the motive, and the benefit he gets out of killing someone this way is the pleasure he feels when doing so.

So all suspects kill for some type of personal benefit.

IMO

tomkat,

About 20 years ago my brother told me to put in green colored floodlights outside my screen porch. VOILA! Hardly ANY BUGS! FYI

And yes, many homes in Georgia have screen porches, especially atthelake. I am sitting on mine right now.

What happens/ what is the policy if Comcast or AT&T drives up to the RP/GW gates?
What is the policy if I drive up in my pickup truck or SUV and say I am meeting builder X to deliver carpet samples? Will they wave me in or call the builder? I could get the builder's name off the RP website...

What about delivery services in plain white vans with no markings? I came home one day to find an unmarked white van in my driveway. I wrote down the license plate before I got out of my car. It was Lasership, a subsidiary of Amazon, and they contract out with folks to make deliveries. No markings on vans. UPS doesn't always deliver for Amazon.

I am surprised they didn't have chipped cards at RP/GW.We use chipped cards at my mother's senior condo...I got them for family members who can visit without me being there. The management can give me a
print out of who comes and goes....

Yep! That's pretty weird too! And the neighbor who went to the vigil and was upset because LE was hanging around STILL. Has society really become that superficial??? <OPINION ONLY>It's like nobody really cared about them. That's harsh, but it's how I feel. I'd be thanking my lucky stars it wasn't me and praying to the Good Lord above that LE was still hanging around. Even if I was trying to sell my house and even if it had been the wrong address, I would be on my bended KNEES praying to God they caught the devil who did this to the Dermonds.

<OPINION ONLY> Thinking about dumping Mrs. Dermond in the water. . . could she have been sexually assaulted and the perp thought by dumping her in the water that would cleanse her of his DNA? ? ? Rape is not a sexual emotion. It is about being in control of the situation. Someone in a fit of rage because they were unsuccessful in getting what they really wanted might have taken it out on Shirley by raping her in front of Russell. Depending on decomposition if her upper body and torso were still intact and there was penetration Shirley could have the DNA that's needed to solve this case if and when the perp's DNA is put into the system. Sorry! This is all my opinion and speculation. It's horrible, but Sheriff Sills needs to find who did this before it happens again.

From what I read I interpreted the behavior of the Ds neighbor at the vigil differently. I thought the neighbor was upset because the neighbor thought it should have been her/him/them killed....not the Ds. And they were going to always need security.

On another note...if the murderer wanted to steal stuff or drugs there are bigger, more expensive homes, homes owned by well known sports stars and well known Atlanta docs with more stuff than the Ds...

This is just my opinion based on doing a little research on Jon Boats and having fished out of one. I don't believe Ms D. was killed in the boat. Those boats would not handle a struggle especially when you are fighting for your life. Plus she would not voluntarily get in the boat. in my opinion. I wonder what lake conditions were like those nights or days.

The perp could have moved her dead body to the boat and positioned her where it would be easy to put her over the side. It would still be very crowded in my mind. It would have to be dark. The perp would definitely have to know that little inlet and the way out of it. I think they were both killed at the same place. Mr. D probably first, and then they had to kill her. I don't understand why they took her with them. If it was to make it appear she was involved, then I don't believe the perp/perps knew them at all. They would know people would never think that. This is such a sad case and totally baffling to me. Makes no sense. jmo

From the outset, certain circumstances in this case had me wondering.

From the first I thought it was somewhat miraculous that this couple had the great fortune to reach almost 90 years of age with both still enjoying such good health and living such active and independent lives. My wife and I thought it remarkable since we could think of no couples that even approached that level of long life and independence. It was also interesting that they were seen by others as being much younger than their years, some even saying it was thought they were in their 60&#8217;s. When their true ages were revealed at death others were surprised at how old they really were. And wasn&#8217;t it wonderful that Mrs. Dermond gave birth to a daughter when she was close to 40 years of age? For educated business people, having another child at that age seemed at least, a little unusual.

And considering how much time and effort we expend taking care of our property inside and out, we thought it close to impossible for such a couple to maintain a 3500 square foot house with an acre of fancy landscaping on a sloping piece on ground without quite a bit of help. With our modest house, it&#8217;s nearly hopeless to keep up with the dust and bathrooms. Mrs. Dermond must have been a truly amazing lady.

It appeared certainly that they had an idyllic life there, living in the safety of a remote and protected property, both having unusually good health and being so active, and having such young grandchildren.

Then for such a terrible and unbelievable thing to happen. How could it be?

Mrs. Dermond&#8217;s body is found in the lake two weeks later, fully clothed. Cause of Death is noted. Mr. Dermond&#8217;s headless corpse is left in plain sight at the home. Why would the killer have dealt with each so differently, one being removed from the home and one being left in the home. Why weren&#8217;t both bodies put in the lake? Could it be that the killer&#8217;s purpose all along was to let the world know what was done to Mr. Dermond? Is it possible that Mrs. Dermond&#8217;s corpse might never have been found while Mr. Dermond&#8217;s couldn&#8217;t be missed?

Yes, it's a combination of mysteries. Will it ever be solved?

From the outset, certain circumstances in this case had me wondering.

From the first I thought it was somewhat miraculous that this couple had the great fortune to reach almost 90 years of age with both still enjoying such good health and living such active and independent lives. My wife and I thought it remarkable since we could think of no couples that even approached that level of long life and independence. It was also interesting that they were seen by others as being much younger than their years, some even saying it was thought they were in their 60’s. When their true ages were revealed at death others were surprised at how old they really were. And wasn’t it wonderful that Mrs. Dermond gave birth to a daughter when she was close to 40 years of age? For educated business people, having another child at that age seemed at least, a little unusual.

And considering how much time and effort we expend taking care of our property inside and out, we thought it close to impossible for such a couple to maintain a 3500 square foot house with an acre of fancy landscaping on a sloping piece on ground without quite a bit of help. With our modest house, it’s nearly hopeless to keep up with the dust and bathrooms. Mrs. Dermond must have been a truly amazing lady.

It appeared certainly that they had an idyllic life there, living in the safety of a remote and protected property, both having unusually good health and being so active, and having such young grandchildren.

Then for such a terrible and unbelievable thing to happen. How could it be?

Mrs. Dermond’s body is found in the lake two weeks later, fully clothed. Cause of Death is noted. Mr. Dermond’s headless corpse is left in plain sight at the home. Why would the killer have dealt with each so differently, one being removed from the home and one being left in the home. Why weren’t both bodies put in the lake? Could it be that the killer’s purpose all along was to let the world know what was done to Mr. Dermond? Is it possible that Mrs. Dermond’s corpse might never have been found while Mr. Dermond’s couldn’t be missed?

Yes, it's a combination of mysteries. Will it ever be solved?

Yes, I agree as I sit looking at my floors that need to be vacuumed. This generation is amazing. If my mother was alive she would be 91 and she was 81 when she died. I used to tell her 'mother take a nap'. Her response was always 'if I lay down I won't get up'. After she retired at 75 she bought a whole collection of movies she was going to watch. When she died and I went through them, None of them had even been opened. They have a very strict discipline as far as doing their work. They are also very private and don't want or let just anyone in their homes. My mother's motto was if you want it done right do it yourself. And she did. They absolutely an amazing couple. So sorry this was done to them. jmo

This is just my opinion based on doing a little research on Jon Boats and having fished out of one. I don't believe Ms D. was killed in the boat. Those boats would not handle a struggle especially when you are fighting for your life. Plus she would not voluntarily get in the boat. in my opinion. I wonder what lake conditions were like those nights or days.

The perp could have moved her dead body to the boat and positioned her where it would be easy to put her over the side. It would still be very crowded in my mind. It would have to be dark. The perp would definitely have to know that little inlet and the way out of it. I think they were both killed at the same place. Mr. D probably first, and then they had to kill her. I don't understand why they took her with them. If it was to make it appear she was involved, then I don't believe the perp/perps knew them at all. They would know people would never think that. This is such a sad case and totally baffling to me. Makes no sense. jmo

Do you remember in the Scott Peterson case where the DA brought the little Jon boat to the courthouse parking lot for the jurors to see? And even today no one really knows if Laci was thrown in the water alive and drowned. There was never any evidence found in their home of any kind. The ME only had a partial skeleton of her upper torso and the marine life had eaten away all of her internal organs.:( And Laci had a huge belly which made her even harder to throw overboard yet he sure did exactly that.

Why do you think she would be able to struggle if she was bound and gagged if I may ask Mic? He could have even bound her ankles once he got her on to the boat. Imo she was a terrified very elderly woman of 88 years old. She would be no match for this man and imo she knew it. I think she was frozen with fear just like others who did not fight their perpetrator either and instead went with them as they demanded and they were murdered.

I don't think Shirley volunteered to do anything........not one thing. I think she was forced by a man who she knew had just murdered her husband. She knew more than anyone what he was capable of doing. I think Shirley thought the only hope she had was not to struggle or fight a man.. who would only get angrier if she did, but she hoped at some point she could reason with him to let her go.

So many abducted victims that have lived to tell their story said they did hope they would be able to reason with the suspect and that is why they didn't try to fight or get away and sometimes it worked but most of the time it doesn't.

I think he wanted the police to believe a hit man had come to their home and murdered Russ and the hit man had abducted Shirley. I think it does show he knows them, and they knew him. He tried to stage it to look like a hit from an unknown hit man with no familiar connection whatsoever to the victims.

IMO

Good reading from everyone here, making me think how this could have happened if it was 2 guys. It seems to me at least a possibility that Mr. D confronted them in his yard, got hit in the head. Mrs. D came out then they knew she had to go, too, she gets hit in the head. Then the really angry one thinks they need to dismember them to throw in the lake? Only after doing what he did to Mr. D, maybe the other guys says the boat won't hold all 4 of them...possibly they took Mrs. D, thinking they would come back for Mr. D, then said forget it, we have the head with the evidence; also, gross thought, but could something have stuck in Mr. D's head so they felt they had to at least take that with them? Sure hope the LE did some good brainstorming/lab testing this weekend!

Good reading from everyone here, making me think how this could have happened if it was 2 guys. It seems to me at least a possibility that Mr. D confronted them in his yard, got hit in the head. Mrs. D came out then they knew she had to go, too, she gets hit in the head. Then the really angry one thinks they need to dismember them to throw in the lake? Only after doing what he did to Mr. D, maybe the other guys says the boat won't hold all 4 of them...possibly they took Mrs. D, thinking they would come back for Mr. D, then said forget it, we have the head with the evidence; also, gross thought, but could something have stuck in Mr. D's head so they felt they had to at least take that with them? Sure hope the LE did some good brainstorming/lab testing this weekend!

Like so many others who post, I think this was not a hit but some insane over-reaction to something Mr. D said or did. He obviously was the target. Sometimes it's very difficult for sane persons to conceive of how a mentally disturbed individual views the world. Mr. D was a well-educated business man who was probably no nonsense with his speech and actions. An unstable and insecure man could react violently to either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6