GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know they went to dinner every Friday night. Where was that reported? Do you have a link. That sounds important. jmo

I haven't see it reported anywhere. I haven't even seen it reported that they always went out to eat on Friday night or evening.

And if they DID go out to dinner then witnesses would have already come forth saying they saw them out eating dinner on Friday night. Iirc, no one saw them on Friday nor days after then.

The last known sighting of Russ, iirc was when he went to the pharmacy on May 1st (Thursday evening).

I think they were both murdered later in the evening of May 2nd or in the wee hours of the 3rd.

I agree. I would not think they had any bills to pay except utilities and cable or some such as that. They could pay all that on line. Maybe one trip to town for groceries a week and wrote a check for that. I do all my banking on line. jmo

Just bring this forward because of the quote in this article:

They lived a remarkably simple life, Sills said. Russell Dermond only had two credit cards and put everything on those to rack up rewards points. He didn't even have an ATM card as he never carried cash, the sheriff said.

Just thinking the Dermonds could have written only two checks to pay the two credit cards. If they used the credit cards to rack up reward points and mileage points then they may have paid utilities, cable, groceries, prescriptions, everything they could purchase with the credit cards to rack up reward points and mileage points. They probably used the mileage points to travel - especially overseas - thinking about their recent trip abroad.

That indeed would be a very simple life - two credit cards and pay them off every month and reap the rewards. Smart people, Shirley AND Russell. :moo:

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/ga-couples-killing-leaves-authorities-baffled

I try to do that with my Discover card - haven't accomplished it yet. Maybe someday. I hope.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/channel-2-joins-dnr-survey-lake-near-putnam-co-cou/nfswy/

Reporting this from early in the investigation...WSB from the time of the candlelight vigil...

Interesting re-read at this point. I don't remember the part about someone seeing SD on camera in another state???? Could someone have called that in to send SS/ FBI on another wild goose chase?

Sorry, this may have been discussed, I'm late to the party this morning!

"I thought I saw someone that looked like her in another store in another state… camera, FBI, run them down,” Sills said.

I remember reading that an elderly woman had turned up in Florida dazed and confused and somebody ruled her out as being Shirley Dermond. At the time I was hoping it was Shirley and that she had survived and was alive. One of the sons lives in Florida. A shame it couldn't have been Shirley. :notgood:

I haven't see it reported anywhere. I haven't even seen it reported that they always went out to eat on Friday night or evening.

And if they DID go out to dinner then witnesses would have already come forth saying they saw them out eating dinner on Friday night. Iirc, no one saw them on Friday nor days after then.

The last known sighting of Russ, iirc was when he went to the pharmacy on May 1st (Thursday evening).

I think they were both murdered later in the evening of May 2nd or in the wee hours of the 3rd.

And if they didn't carry cash ( reported earlier) then there would be a charge on one of those 2 credit cards with Friday night's dinner. I have not read they went out every Friday night. ***Many folks their age DO NOT drive at night due to problems with "headlight" glare and problems with lights. ***

Do we know if they drove at night?? My parents would drive in daylight but not at night.

Consider this opinion since I don't have the link and am relying on memory, but about a week into the investigation. It was reported that all authorized persons who had been present at the crime scenes' shoe prints were being taken. Tells me that it was days after the CSI was iniated before the perp/s shoe/boot prints were noticed by investigators.

I remember thinking to myself, "here we go again".. and 6 weeks later, "here we are again"...

That is not good. They should have looked for boot/shoe prints first very carefully before trouncing all over the property and that's just my opinion.
:notgood:

FYI-

WS Thread #7 was started yesterday at 12:30PM and has over 4600 Views for Awareness.

'Awareness is the key in missing/murdered persons investigations'..
The American public is a very valuable investigative resource, imo...

And if they didn't carry cash ( reported earlier) then there would be a charge on one of those 2 credit cards with Friday night's dinner. I have not read they went out every Friday night. ***Many folks their age DO NOT drive at night due to problems with "headlight" glare and problems with lights. ***

Do we know if they drove at night?? My parents would drive in daylight but not at night.

I haven't either and that is why I asked for a link. So far, no response to my post providing a link. I know how hard it is to go back and try to find something, but I think that is an important bit of information and I would like to know where it came from. jmo

You are correct a lot of seniors don't like driving in the dark. But also a lot of seniors eat their meals earlier and it is now lighter...later so they could have gone for an early dinner and been home before dark.

MOO

I am curious. What makes it different when you surmise they made one trip to town for groceries each week and paid their bills on line and I surmise they might have had a habit of dining out each Friday?

To me both are things we have thought MIGHT/COULD have happened.

There is no link to either of our thoughts. Just what we both think might have happened with the Dermonds.

MOO

knew they went to dinner on Friday nights and he knew when they usually left and when they usually arrived back home.

I am sorry I didn't realize this was a supposition. I was excited to hear that and was hoping it was a 'fact'. You are right my post was just a thought and that is why I ended it with 'jmo'. So, I will move on. Maybe something will break today.

What keeps gnawing at me more than anything is how absent the Dermond's family appears to be on all of this. I understand that all families are not the same and they may be reluctant to receive media attention, but we've barely heard anything at all. Please correct me if I've missed something somewhere. I'm. It judging them at all, it just makes me wonder if there's more to this story when it concerns the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From 10 years experience dealing with media (TV & print), my advice to any family would be "don't talk!" The average person doesn't realize how many times the media misquotes! They also target their questions to victims so the reporter can put his own spin on the story!

The Dermond families are being so smart by NOT saying anything!

Good afternoon, doing the usual hope and prayer for this case. I am one of the posters who mentioned "Meth Heads". I just think it was 2 guys who probably thought they could go steal some guns (or they thought the D's had a safe). I don't get the "send a message", or the financial angle thru his job or New Jersey connections, or just a lone SK, either. IMHO And yes, OceanBlueEyes, young...fresh off the video games. Just saying..

From 10 years experience dealing with media (TV & print), my advice to any family would be "don't talk!" The average person doesn't realize how many times the media misquotes! They also target their questions to victims so the reporter can put his own spin on the story!

I totally agree with you. Look at how the media has taken the few things they have said and misreported them. jmo

I am not so sure about that. Sometimes it backfires on them but sometimes it does get results.

Thinking of the young lady out in California, Mitrice Richardson. Her family was before the camera's daily.

Not to forget Travon Martin. Nothing would have been done but for the family demanding answers.

I can't forget Polly Klass and how her father pleaded for her return. He is now a huge spokesperson for missing children.

So I believe every family handles it the best way they know how to handle it and none can be faulted.

This has to be terrible for this family of sons and daughter and their families knowing how their mother/father and grandparents who where living their twilight years came to this awful fate.

It's a sadness that will never go away.

MOO

Didn't mean to sound flip saying "I just think....blah, blah, blah". This is such a sad case and I just want them to catch and fry these predators. Also, I agree the children should stay out of the picture. I personally would have to be restrained, but I'm sure they are getting good advice. Last thought, someone seems to know for a fact that the GBI is not involved, is that for real? And why? I would think they would have every available resource in this. Sills said he met with 8 criminalists, were they all FBI or do we know? Thanks everybody, love the meeting of the minds here.

Tomorrow is Father's Day and hoping the Dermond family will find some peace on this day remembering all the good and wonderful things this man did for his family and the unconditional love he heaped upon them.

One can never replace a Mother or Father.

I remember reading this quote someplace;

'No matter what your relationship with your parents, you will miss them when they are gone'

MOO

<BBM for Focus>

lakeoconee, it's the same where I live. Not sure that you will get an honest answer from someone whose lively hood is dependent upon RE values/sales. RE agents usually have a strict narrative that they stick too; "oh sales are booming"!

I was at the clubhouse last night and the Dermond murders were brought up at least three times by folks who have friends and relatives that live on Oconee/Sinclair, which is two hours away. They were all very concerned for their safety.. They have never heard of WS, and get their news from msm & social media, word of mouth, etc.

Good point, so I'll just talk to the truthful ones??

They could have eaten at any of the Member Only places within their Club system in the neighborhood. That requires no credit card or cash...and no need to leave the gates of the neighborhood. But there should still be a record.

They may have been regulars at the Friday Club dinners. But not seeing them one night would not raise suspicion. I wonder how many of their immediate neighbors were "part-timers?" That alone provides a lot of seclusion even with houses close by....if those house aren't always occupied.

Noise carries easily on the water though. If there has been screams or confrontation, I would think someone would have heard something.

I live in a neighborhood that has similarities to this one, with manned gate security and many of the homes on a large lake. The security aspect in regard to the entrance is excellent. The guards will call if you forget to say you have a guest or workman coming. If, no answer, the person is turned away. No deliveries can come in after a certain time..I think it's currently 6PM. The police should have a fairly good idea of who was in the neighborhood working, etc during that period.

The problem is the lake. A few years ago, an individual who claimed to come from an organization called the Moroccan Army Of Philadelphia (sometimes Moorish Army) gained entry to a large empty house on the Lake. He put up a small notice saying he had seized the house for his organization and explained that the organization does not recognize property rights. He managed to live there for several days until the realtor handling the house saw the small notice he posted near the front door.

By the time, the authorities came, he was not in the house. He obviously has help arriving and departing. He had food, etc. Either he arrived hidden in a car, assisted by someone who had authorized entry through the gate. Or he was being delivered and picked up again by boat. I have since been told by a real estate lawyer in Atlanta that this organization is well known. They target houses in this kind of neighborhood and it can take months or years to go through the legal process to get them out. They are very well organized squatters.

I wonder if there are any vacant homes on the water near the victims house that could have been the target? Not that this group has ever been violent as far as I know. But anything can happen when people are surprised and chaos ensues. Just my opinion.

I'd use the Castle doctrine approach and get them out faster than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste