GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that too. I have it on my wishlist and "Every Breath You Take" as suggested by a websleuther. Hoping I don't get laid off before I make the purchase. :sigh: Our local hospital is kind of in the same shape as the local hospital in Eatonton.

OFF TOPIC: My love MIL and SIL made a trip to Carrollton, Virginia 2 weeks ago and just arrived back home Sunday. They didn't fly (MIL not fond of flying) and their trip took them through Georgia (lucky dogs - soooo jealous). Anyway, my MIL brought me back some real Georgia peaches. Oh my! They were sooooo good. Sweet and juicy. I enjoyed them so much. I saved the seed/stone. Any body have any tips on how to sprout them? I would love to have my own Georgia peach tree here in Texas. Do I just stick them in the ground now and make sure they are watered every day? Thank you in advance.

Judging from how they come up in my compost pile, I think they will just come up. However, a tree grown from seed will probably not produce true to what the original seed came from. If you want a good peach tree, buy good stock from a reputable source.

Two thieves posing as delivery men hold a couple at gunpoint, then ransack their home after getting inside.

lakeoconee, although a ruse was likely used to gain entry in the Dermond's home and anything is possible, the MO is different in this, and most home invasions.. The victims were not harmed and the home was ransacked. Likely just a couple of thugs supporting a drug habit..

Glad you posted this possible scenario though. It illustrates how the conclusion that Sheriff Sills came too that the Dermonds must have been at least slightly acquainted with the perps is a faulty assumption at best. The many indicators in the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation point to a very well thought out; planned, disciplined, and meticulously executed crime by well trained and experienced perp/s; professionals....imo

FF, I totally agree with you about episodic "evidence." Especially hate it when politicians drag some hapless citizen in to prove some point.

Despite the tone you may get from my posts, I am really amazed there is so little talk, no great fear, etc...locally. I think you might make a field trip to LO and see for yourself. Stop by Publix, go to dinner at the Silver Moon or the new fine dining restaurant Blu Culina. Talk to some locals. Maybe you will get a different reaction from the one I hear.

<BBM for Focus>

Roadtrip, huh? :laughing:
Lakeoconee, I'd love too...but I learned a long time ago, as an ousider, to never go to a rural GA town where the good ole boy network is thriving and asking locals questions about a horrific crime that had recently occurred there. Not a fond memory..

I thought about this case during my morning walk, as usual. Trying to focus on what we do know....like the fact that they left by boat. Doesn't this infer that they also came via the lake? I also think they came purposely to the D's house. Someone thought they could get money from them. I just think that has to be the motive. Possibly they killed Mr. D in anger when he confronted them (or him)? Then thought they would take her to an ATM, had to go by boat to get to their car at boat ramp. Maybe she wouldn't cooperate, screamed, then they abandoned that idea. I'm really reaching, aren't I? If it were just a home invasion, it wouldn't be so hard to understand, but who beheads and kidnaps all in the same crime? If the community thinks it was a hit, why weren't they just shot?

I think we have all compared the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation case with many other cases past. The abduction/murder/decapitation of John & Irene Bryant(10/2007-NC) is the only case that comes to my mind..

John and Irene Bryant touched the lives of their neighbors and friends with their kindness, their daughter said of the couple, who have been missing in Pisgah National Forest three weeks.
Ethan Smith with the Brevard Rescue Squad said, "Probably the most likely scenario at this point is that they went hiking, either got lost or had a medical problem and were unable to get out."

*Found Deceased NC - John Bryant, 79, & Irene Bryant - NC

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20071111/NEWS/711110398/0/OPINION02

If the perp/s had taken both S & R Dermond and disposed of both of their bodies in lake oconee w/o leaving any signs of a crime. They would have been considered as only missing persons/adults. Other than a possible Silver Alert being initiated, the investigation would have had much less; urgency, investigative resources dedicated, and would have simply been a mystery...
Adults have the right to go missing..

The decapitation of RD and his missing head, combined with the torso being left in the garage changed not only the urgency of the investigation, but the horrific nature and magnitude of the crime.. Seems, the perp/s would have had to know that this would be the case.

The brazen perp/s were making a statement, while challenging authorities, imo.. Ask yourself Why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_85GXsKqk

Bumping this article link originally posted by lakeoconee;

http://legalpronews.findlaw.com/article/7cb33392334ddf4e433f42f5a1e7c457#.U8lFrPldWJF

Forms Law Technology Lawyer Marketing Corporate Counsel Law Students JusticeMail Newsletters
FindLaw » Legal Professional News » Story

CHRISTIAN BOONE FOR THE ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION 1 MONTH AGO

Sheriff investigating elderly couple's murder accustomed to spotlight

As the search for the killers of an elderly middle Georgia couple continues, the spotlight has fallen on the gruff, plain-spoken sheriff leading the investigation of one of the most grisly crimes in recent memory.

It's not the first time Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, 58, has landed in the center of a media firestorm. In the late-1990s, Sills took on the United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors, a black religious sect that had constructed an Egyptian-style compound on 440 acres in Eatonton, land that its leader, Dwight "Malachi" York, would eventually designate a sovereign nation.
<sniped - read more>

Danny Rolling and Gary Hilton beheaded just for the heck of it. Neither knew their victims prior to the assaults. It's personal when you decapitate someone just by the nature of the act itself. It's also personal when you hit them over the head and throw them in a lake. Depending on your perspective, all murders can be considered personal...getting into your space and taking your life is pretty personal.

Not sure about Gary Hilton, but familiar with Danny Rolling case...he just went after young college girls, didn't he? Except for the one guy who happened to be at one scene? I get that there are those kind of sickos, I think most of us are just stuck on why this sweet older couple would be targeted? And by whom, for what? I think it has to be money for one reason or another, and if it's not for drugs, then surely it may be someone who knew they would benefit.

Whatever the question is, money is usually the answer so that's a reasonable theory...just so sad that greed might have caused this...especially for a couple near 90 yrs. old.

I saw that too. I have it on my wishlist and "Every Breath You Take" as suggested by a websleuther. Hoping I don't get laid off before I make the purchase. :sigh: Our local hospital is kind of in the same shape as the local hospital in Eatonton.

OFF TOPIC: My love MIL and SIL made a trip to Carrollton, Virginia 2 weeks ago and just arrived back home Sunday. They didn't fly (MIL not fond of flying) and their trip took them through Georgia (lucky dogs - soooo jealous). Anyway, my MIL brought me back some real Georgia peaches. Oh my! They were sooooo good. Sweet and juicy. I enjoyed them so much. I saved the seed/stone. Any body have any tips on how to sprout them? I would love to have my own Georgia peach tree here in Texas. Do I just stick them in the ground now and make sure they are watered every day? Thank you in advance.

If you Google how to grow a peach tree from seed there is a ton of information. Doesn't sound too hard. jmo

I have an OT question that may have been addressed already. With my last post I noticed there was not a Preview Post button. Has this feature gone away? tia

I have an OT question that may have been addressed already. With my last post I noticed there was not a Preview Post button. Has this feature gone away? tia

I usually hit the "Go Advanced" button, that does a preview of the post. Then you see the "Preview Post" button.

Hope this helps :seeya:

81 year old William Singer and his 64 year old wife, Barbara were found murdered in their home in Phoenix, AZ on July 2nd after it looks like each of them was forced to withdraw money from their bank accounts.

Sounds sorta familiar doesn't it ? I think something like this might have well been the motive behind the Dermond slaying as well. With the exception being that when they couldn't get any money out of them, they just went on a killing spree for the hell of it. [/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Snipped for space -

My theory all along has to do with money -
- perp(s) thinking there was a lot of cash in the house, or
- a loan from the Dermonds' came due, and there was no intention of paying it back, or
- a loan requested and denied.

According to my timeline from MSM, Wednesday, May 7: The Dermond children arrive in Putnam County: daughter Leslie Patton from North Carolina and sons Keith, from Jacksonville, and Brad from Santa Rosa Beach, Fla. Sills describes them as “completely cooperative.” A third son, Mark, was killed in 2000 while trying to buy drugs in Atlanta; his killer is serving life plus 25 years.

All I can find on the guy that killed the son Mark is dated July 13, 2006. Then I hit a dead end. Has anybody else had any luck tracking where Troy Major is now?

In the light most favorable to the verdict, the record shows that, on the evening of August 30, 2000, Mark Dermond and Grady Harris drove to the Neal Street area of Atlanta to purchase drugs. &#8194; Paula Heard immediately approached Dermond's car and asked him to buy a rock of crack cocaine for her. &#8194; Walter Thomas Martin then approached the car to sell the drugs to Dermond. &#8194; At that time, Major and his co-defendant, Cedric Mansa, approached the vehicle. &#8194; Major walked to the driver's side of the car where Dermond was sitting, demanded his money, and shot him multiple times. &#8194; Later, Martin testified that he had observed Major carrying a gun, and both Heard and Mansa identified Major as the shooter. &#8194; Dermond died as a result of gunshot wounds, and Harris was injured. - See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-supreme-court/1185576.html#sthash.3bYok54h.dpuf

Also, I was wondering if any of the surviving children attended the vigil for their parents and found this link:

&#8220;We come to light a candle to disperse the darkness that has come into our community.&#8221;

That was just one of the expressions of hurt, anger, bewilderment and determination expressed Saturday night at a candlelight service held next to the pond at Lake Oconee Village.

Participants came to honor the late Russell Dermond, who was found dead in the couple&#8217;s Great Waters home last week and hold a vigil for his wife, Shirley, who has disappeared. The Dermond's children -- Keith, Brad and Leslie -- did not attend. An Atlanta TV station later reported they had returned to their homes in Florida and North Carolina.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-88-87-year-old-husband-decapitated-home.html

According to my timeline from MSM, Wednesday, May 7: The Dermond children arrive in Putnam County: daughter Leslie Patton from North Carolina and sons Keith, from Jacksonville, and Brad from Santa Rosa Beach, Fla. Sills describes them as “completely cooperative.” A third son, Mark, was killed in 2000 while trying to buy drugs in Atlanta; his killer is serving life plus 25 years.

All I can find on the guy that killed the son Mark is dated July 13, 2006. Then I hit a dead end. Has anybody else had any luck tracking where Troy Major is now?

He's in prison. Looks like he's housed at the one in Jackson.
You can do an inmate search: http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryForm.jsp

Boots---not sure of your location in TX, but there is an annual peach festival every summer in Weatherford. They have all things peachy, that is if you can stand the weather at that time of year (usually in the 100s). Too hot for me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6