GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Entrance to lawrence Shoals, gate at curve ahead, to the boat launch, no cameras there, gate left open, unattended and no cameras at gate. To the left is to the hiking trails and camping and public recreation, probably a mile road or more, I'm not sure, all wooded and secluded, entrance gate left open, pay box past the entrance office to leave cash for hiking etc in the off season?, office probably where one signs in or pays in summer? and no attendents. but it's winter, very quiet, one lone car on the side of the road, no one inside, ??? weird
2 trash dumpsters halfway to the water, no boat launch

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

left of boat dock and launch, area where SD was discovered, don't know exact location
IMG_0770.jpg

to the right of boat launch, the dam
IMG_0771.jpg

parking area after launching your boat

IMG_0776.jpg

boat launch
IMG_0777.jpg

in winter, very quiet and secluded, I imagine after midnight might be similar

already confused investigation when they kidnapped sd, maybe dumpsters served a purpose as well, who knows

Perps were closer to LS than the D's house when they dumped her, freaky to know they probably entered and exited here, if indeed they dont' live in the area

I think it was too clean to be drugs and dares but then again, anything and everything can and does happen

hope authorities are getting closer to some kind of resolution!

Hi y'all, just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas. I sure hope they can solve this case soon... Well, I hope one day every case is solved so loved ones may have closure.

Hi y'all, just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas. I sure hope they can solve this case soon... Well, I hope one day every case is solved so loved ones may have closure.

May you and yours have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too, Canaille...

Merry Christmas to you too! 2015's going to be a good year, I can feel it.

Entrance to lawrence Shoals, gate at curve ahead, to the boat launch, no cameras there, gate left open, unattended and no cameras at gate. To the left is to the hiking trails and camping and public recreation, probably a mile road or more, I'm not sure, all wooded and secluded, entrance gate left open, pay box past the entrance office to leave cash for hiking etc in the off season?, office probably where one signs in or pays in summer? and no attendents. but it's winter, very quiet, one lone car on the side of the road, no one inside, ??? weird
2 trash dumpsters halfway to the water, no boat launch

View attachment 66204

View attachment 66205

View attachment 66206

View attachment 66207

left of boat dock and launch, area where SD was discovered, don't know exact location
View attachment 66208

to the right of boat launch, the dam
View attachment 66209

parking area after launching your boat

View attachment 66210

boat launch
View attachment 66211

in winter, very quiet and secluded, I imagine after midnight might be similar

already confused investigation when they kidnapped sd, maybe dumpsters served a purpose as well, who knows

Perps were closer to LS than the D's house when they dumped her, freaky to know they probably entered and exited here, if indeed they dont' live in the area

I think it was too clean to be drugs and dares but then again, anything and everything can and does happen

hope authorities are getting closer to some kind of resolution!

Thanks for taking and posting all the great pictures. It makes the area seem so real and so desolate just looking at them. Did you by any chance get to enter the subdivision and see the Dermond's property or view the property by boat?

There is so much water that it is a wonder MrsD was even found. If it was in a reedy grass area like the picture shows, would it be more shallow than further into the lake? If MrD's head was also sunk somewhere in the lake, it would have seemed very small in the grand expanse of the lake if it did happen to rise back to the surface. I have read that bodies can sink, then bloat up to the surface and then sink again. I don't know a time frame though for how long a body stays on the surface? Would a head come up and float or would it just stay down?

Thanks for taking and posting all the great pictures. It makes the area seem so real and so desolate just looking at them. Did you by any chance get to enter the subdivision and see the Dermond's property or view the property by boat?

There is so much water that it is a wonder MrsD was even found. If it was in a reedy grass area like the picture shows, would it be more shallow than further into the lake? If MrD's head was also sunk somewhere in the lake, it would have seemed very small in the grand expanse of the lake if it did happen to rise back to the surface. I have read that bodies can sink, then bloat up to the surface and then sink again. I don't know a time frame though for how long a body stays on the surface? Would a head come up and float or would it just stay down?

Found in the nik of time, if she'd stayed afloat too long, she would have eventually gone back under but I understand that it was a good fishing spot with tree trunks under the water in that area, from my experience, but my family had a place on the Sinclair side, looking at the dam from pics, over the bridge, is Sinclair, this is Oconnee side, but the ground tapers up to the shore, more shallow the closer to shore you get, this water is bigger than sinclair, may be deeper IDK.

I dont' think heads float, no gases like a body and mostly skull and no body fat, they'd need divers for a while searching for that, the good news I heard recently is that the water levels will be dropped significantly in 2015 on Sinclair, assuming they do the same on Oconnee, the water will recede off shore just past or at the dock end, so you can see everything on the ground where water is usually at. This is done for seawall and dock repairs and cleanup on the underwater shore line

No I did not have my boat this time, and I dont know if I could bear going by the D's home on the water or on land, considered it on land, not sure if it's easily accesible to the subdivision or what the rules of entrance are, apparently NONE for the murderers!

And your welcome, it was very realistic and eery going here being so close to where she was discovered, very easy for somenoe to enter and exit without notice

Also the long road out of there, gosh i forgot the name of it, will check, but it goes for miles with NOTHING, no one saw those folks, they took the boat out at night and left, PERIOD

Or like I said and others are curious about, unless they lived on the Oconnee lake

OH, I have a pic of the courthouse in Hancock too, reconstruction begins in 2015, will post in a bit

dumpsters sit alone along this wooded road about halfway in/ out of the camp and hiking area near in LS, it s the first entrance on the left in pics above
View attachment 66370

Hancock County Courthouse, about 10 miles from LS to sparta GA, long road, fork right, then sparta and you run right into this at the stop sign
View attachment 66374

this is what it looks like from LS to Sparta, I guess that's sparta hwy, might be hwy 16
View attachment 66376

However, we did see THIS, about halfway, Should Bone Treaty or something, a few houses a mill and barns on some farm land, but purely nothing else, maybe a trailer or two somewhere
shoulder bone  resize.jpg

dumpsters sit alone along this wooded road about halfway in/ out of the camp and hiking area near in LS, it s the first entrance on the left in pics above
View attachment 66370

Hancock County Courthouse, about 10 miles from LS to sparta GA, long road, fork right, then sparta and you run right into this at the stop sign
View attachment 66374

this is what it looks like from LS to Sparta, I guess that's sparta hwy, might be hwy 16
View attachment 66376

However, we did see THIS, about halfway, Should Bone Treaty or something, a few houses a mill and barns on some farm land, but purely nothing else, maybe a trailer or two somewhere
View attachment 66379

dumpstersresize.JPG

loooooong sparta hwy 10 miles or so from LS resize.jpg

Thank you for the pictures, dancinunderthemoon! I have frequently wondered about that area. I wonder why Mrs.D. was left so near the dam. I am sure the dam has been discussed before. How would the close proximity to the dam influence the movement of a body?

I think the perp. (s) is a lake resident.

I have also thought that LE should be very meticulous about searching Rock Hawk, and any mounds in Georgia.

I have a gut feeling that this case will never be solved. Sad.

I am not that pessimistic at all and feel this case can and will be solved. Surely LE working hard in that direction.
$55,000 reward still being offered for information leading to an arrest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the pictures, dancinunderthemoon! I have frequently wondered about that area. I wonder why Mrs.D. was left so near the dam. I am sure the dam has been discussed before. How would the close proximity to the dam influence the movement of a body?

I have also thought that LE should be very meticulous about searching Rock Hawk, and any mounds in Georgia.

you're welcome
It was closer to the dam than her house, but not that close to the dam really, it was quite a distance from the boat ramp I showed, if my bearings are correct, not sure how it would affect it, if underwater probably not as much I think as if she'd just been just floating on top, but there are buoys surrounding the dam area, I'll find that closeup

also, saw this just now

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...ins-courthouse-rebuilding-next-week/21005429/

I think I saw talk of that way back. About Rock hawk, I didn't go up in that part, too eery and quiet, ha, but feel strongly if they aren't residents or part timers, they entered and left at LS/Rock hawk

I have a gut feeling that this case will never be solved. Sad.

I feel that way sometimes, sometimes I think LE will run into something eventually, they don't have as much to do in that smaller town, so hopefully it'll be TOP priority for a while

Btw Sorry all for all the double picture posting, my site kept timing out

IMG_0772.jpg

quite a zoom in on the dam area

but I think SD was found further, quite a ways from here, but why it's interesting that SS thought the perps came by boat, whether from within, or without, they were headed away from the dermonds home and closer to the dam, seems logical they'd leave at LS since they were getting nearer to it, to dump the body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiprocker