GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont' think it was ever said what he was wearing. Also, sure they have some evidence they haven't shared with public about how they know it was 2 different weapons.

From Angels and Demons on Rogers murders

Boy if the PCSO could be so lucky!!

http://www2.sptimes.com/Angels_Demons/silver.7.html

They flew the Canadian woman and her friend -- the woman who had accompanied her during the vacation in May 1989 -- to Pinellas County, so they could view a lineup inside the jail. Both identified Chandler.

They talked to one of Chandler's many children, a woman named Kristal Mays, who told them that her father had unexpectedly paid her a visit in Cincinnati in late 1989, just after the composite drawing was made public. During his visit, Mays said, Chandler had told her that he was on the run. The police in Florida, she remembered him saying, were looking for him in the rape of a woman and for killing some women. He was not specific, she said, but she distinctly recalled his statements and how much they had shocked her.

Kristal's husband, Rick Mays, said Chandler had made even more incriminating statements to him. According to Rick, his father-in-law had confessed to raping a couple of women in his boat and throwing at least one woman over the side. Furthermore, he said Chandler had told him he had "murdered three women."

It would make it solvable if there is a match. I didn't know that they had recovered any fingerprints from the scene.
The prints would remain in the FBI's system waiting on a match in another case or someone being fingerprinted.

From link above,
How fast it works: The average response time for an electronic criminal fingerprint submission is about 27 minutes, while electronic civil submissions are processed within an hour and 12 minutes. IAFIS processed more than 61 million ten-print submissions during Fiscal Year 2010.

I think that SS said they had prints from the scene, WHO'S prints, we do not know, if it was a match in the system, we MIGHT know, though Sills may be keeping that private as well

As far as the clean house, the elderly couple probably didn't utilize very many rooms. They may not have been messy people. If they made the bed, straightened up the living room and cleaned the bathroom and kitchen every day, it could seem very clean to an outsider looking in.

If they both were outside tending to the yard or flowers or just enjoying the outside, they probably had the door unlocked so there would be no need for the killer to break in. If MrD had the keys in his pocket from a morning walk, the killer could have used them to enter the house.
Did we ever get an answer on the clothing they were each wearing at the time of their deaths?

Did they have daily paper delivery? Did they have a PO box or was mail delivered to their home?

They do have mail delivery to the house, not sure if PO box or not, don't think it's been made public if they do

Also, I think they were minimalists, I wonder if that is what their son meant when he said they lived a simple life, probably killers picked up after themselves surely, would hope SS has questioned the children about their housekeeping habits, though I do believe the son said they didn't have a housekeeper. I know myself, as I get older, I want less stuff to have to dust and deal with, I'm not 87 though, can imagine by the time I get that age and had a house that big, I'd have a bed and a nightstand in each room and that's it other than a wall hanging, to keep housekeeping chores to a minimum and not alot of knick knacks sitting around to have to dust, my grandparents used to dry out the bathtub every time they used it. If she had a roomba, it would dust the floors easily without having to expend all that energy and can be done daily, I do that, 4 times a week if not more

just things to think about, not that a killer hasn't ever cleaned a house thoroughly after the crime

As far as the clean house, the elderly couple probably didn't utilize very many rooms. They may not have been messy people. If they made the bed, straightened up the living room and cleaned the bathroom and kitchen every day, it could seem very clean to an outsider looking in.

If they both were outside tending to the yard or flowers or just enjoying the outside, they probably had the door unlocked so there would be no need for the killer to break in. If MrD had the keys in his pocket from a morning walk, the killer could have used them to enter the house.
Did we ever get an answer on the clothing they were each wearing at the time of their deaths?

Did they have daily paper delivery? Did they have a PO box or was mail delivered to their home?

They do have mail delivery to the house, not sure if PO box or not, don't think it's been made public if they do

Also, I think they were minimalists, I wonder if that is what their son meant when he said they lived a simple life, probably killers picked up after themselves surely, would hope SS has questioned the children about their housekeeping habits, though I do believe the son said they didn't have a housekeeper. I know myself, as I get older, I want less stuff to have to dust and deal with, I'm not 87 though, can imagine by the time I get that age and had a house that big, I'd have a bed and a nightstand in each room and that's it other than a wall hanging, to keep housekeeping chores to a minimum and not alot of knick knacks sitting around to have to dust, my grandparents used to dry out the bathtub every time they used it. If she had a roomba, it would dust the floors easily without having to expend all that energy and can be done daily, I do that, 4 times a week if not more

just things to think about, not that a killer hasn't ever cleaned a house thoroughly after the crime

They did receive the newspaper daily as she worked the crossword puzzle on Friday and the saturday mail had not been picked up. They do have mail delivery to the house, not sure if PO box or not, don't think it's been made public if they do

There are 1 roads when you enter the Lawrence Shoals area, then it splits, one goes left to the camping area, one goes right to the boat ramp facing the waters where SD was found

There is a gate but cannot remember if the gate was only to the boat ramp. Thinking it was and that if their are campers on the other side, fronting the lake as well, you cna't lock them in at night, will check when I get back down there.

Also noting the campground area, very wooded, very secluded, very quiet and the river goes under the bridge and there is a place to put boats in on that side as well, there was a lone fisherman down there under the bridge, it reminded me of Skid Row where all the homeless lived under the bridge in Los Angeles

Hoping that SS and PCSO has investigated who was camping there at the time of the murder, I'd have a list of name if it was me

Does anyone know if SS is still waiting for cell phone records? I'm puzzled as to why it would take this long. :banghead:

Does anyone know if SS is still waiting for cell phone records? I'm puzzled as to why it would take this long. :banghead:

3 days ago - Investigators are also combing through similar phone records to anyone associated with the slain couple..
http://patch.com/georgia/dunwoody/investigators-comb-phone-records-murders-russell-shirley-dermond-0

Putnam County investigators have worked continuously since then to find suspects in the grisly slayings, that happened sometime over the weekend of May 2. Now, the county sheriff tells WSB TV his office is wading through a new round of evidence: phone records.

Sheriff Howard Sills told the TV station that his office has received tens of thousands of pages worth of phone records from the six months before the Dermonds were murdered.
<sniped>

don't know where the quote is but I recall that SS mentioned 20 people in those records he is investigating sts?? did he say over the past 6 months phone records?

3 days ago - Investigators are also combing through similar phone records to anyone associated with the slain couple..
http://patch.com/georgia/dunwoody/investigators-comb-phone-records-murders-russell-shirley-dermond-0

Putnam County investigators have worked continuously since then to find suspects in the grisly slayings, that happened sometime over the weekend of May 2. Now, the county sheriff tells WSB TV his office is wading through a new round of evidence: phone records.

Sheriff Howard Sills told the TV station that his office has received tens of thousands of pages worth of phone records from the six months before the Dermonds were murdered.
<sniped>

Using your link as a jump off -
The attackers didn&#8217;t use force to enter the couple&#8217;s lakeside home. Investigators said Shirley Dermond&#8217;s wallet, cellphone, purse and car were all left behind.

More than one person involved?

Seems to imply they know the people entered the home. How? What would have tipped them off? Extra coffee cups? Scuff marks? Some objects moved or missing? Something in disarray?

Items left behind? That's odd wording. Sounds like something WAS taken. What about MrD's wallet, watch, cell phone, his car?

I thought everything was in pristine condition, that no theft had occurred.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. Sounds like SS has plenty of reading material. Good police work can be tedious. Would love to see the list of 20 :drumroll:

Using your link as a jump off -
The attackers didn&#8217;t use force to enter the couple&#8217;s lakeside home. Investigators said Shirley Dermond&#8217;s wallet, cellphone, purse and car were all left behind.

More than one person involved?

Seems to imply they know the people entered the home. How? What would have tipped them off? Extra coffee cups? Scuff marks? Some objects moved or missing? Something in disarray?

Items left behind? That's odd wording. Sounds like something WAS taken. What about MrD's wallet, watch, cell phone, his car?

I thought everything was in pristine condition, that no theft had occurred.

"The cars are still there."

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/07/3085920/putnam-mans-death-wifes-disappearance.html

With "cars" being plural, perhaps that means that both Shirley and Russell's cars were at home.
IMOO.

ETA:
The article also mentions that the wallets were there. Again, plural, so perhaps that also means both Russell and Shirley's wallets
were at home.
IMOO.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3173457838-147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024#photo-4

A 4-bedroom, 5-bath, 2-story home with open water views on a huge lot (almost an acre) in the RP Gate Water community near Eatonton, Georgia, could be yours for only $769,000. The home, located at 147 Carolyn Drive, has hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, a fireplace, wet bar, finished basement and there's a dock and pool! Similar homes in the exclusive gated community on Lake Oconee usually sell for much more.

147 Carolyn Dr - Photo Slideshow <Beautiful Home>
Eatonton,GA31024
$769,000

Under the listing, there are icons posted to provide information about the home's community. The "Crime" icon lists "one violent crime" in the area, and also a quote from Sheriff Sills about keeping your house secured.

Creepy....

Am so happy to hear this little bit of progress! Been moving, but think of this couple often. Maybe the software Gwinnett county is offering will speed things along. I may be way off base, but I think it was someone young; I said in the past that it was probably somebody on drugs and I still think that. I don't know why anybody would have to have military training to do what they did....is that naïve of me? Maybe, but I think the motive was $ and that it was closer to home - not necessarily a fisherman/hunter, but someone who knows that lake very well. Maybe grew up spending weekends, holidays there, summer vacations there....cough, cough. I hope I'm wrong.

Under the listing, there are icons posted to provide information about the home's community. The "Crime" icon lists "one violent crime" in the area, and also a quote from Sheriff Sills about keeping your house secured.
Creepy....

Neighborhood crime phrasing from http://www.trulia.com/property/3173457838-147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024#photo-4 seems, ummm, unusual?

"05/07/2014.
Assault
At a press conference Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says after this week's brutal murder everyone should lock the"

Is it real estate brokerage-speak (euphemizing)?
'A brutal murder' (singular) occurred, although there were two (plural), though same household.
How do two homicides get categorized as 'assault'?
Probably does not matter, except to potential home buyers and sellers.

JM2cts.

Neighborhood crime phrasing from http://www.trulia.com/property/3173457838-147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024#photo-4 seems, ummm, unusual?

"05/07/2014.
Assault
At a press conference Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says after this week's brutal murder everyone should lock the"

Is it real estate brokerage-speak (euphemizing)?
'A brutal murder' (singular) occurred, although there were two (plural), though same household.
How do two homicides get categorized as 'assault'?
Probably does not matter, except to potential home buyers and sellers.

JM2cts.

Perhaps it was written "this week's brutal murder" (singular) due to the fact that on that Thursday, during the press conference, only Mr. Dermond
was found. Mrs. Dermond was still missing at that point.
Why would they not include/update Mrs. Dermond being found on May 16th?
Although Mrs. Dermond was not found at 147 Carolyn Drive, she was still found in the surrounding area, so technically two brutal murders did occur.
IMOO.

ETA:
I found this link from May 8th:

"11Alive Staff, WMAZ 7:15 p.m. EDT May 8, 2014"

"PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. -- At a press conference Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says after this week's brutal murder everyone should lock their doors."
"88-year-old Russell Dermond was found beheaded at his home on Lake Oconee Tuesday. His 87-year-old wife Shirley is missing. Her purse and phone left behind. along with the couple's cars."

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/05/06/putnam-county-possible-abduction/8785443/

other than finding Mr Dermond's body in the garage, which is attached to the home,maybe assuming that the perpetrators entered, on the other hand, was nothing ever mentioned about Mr Dermonds personal items and nothing also of what he was wearing when discovered. But it was mentioned that her personal items were there

Hmmmm, good catch

other than finding Mr Dermond's body in the garage, which is attached to the home,maybe assuming that the perpetrators entered, on the other hand, was nothing ever mentioned about Mr Dermonds personal items and nothing also of what he was wearing when discovered. But it was mentioned that her personal items were there

Hmmmm, good catch

I am thinking that perhaps the reason why it has been mentioned in MSM that Shirley's personal items were at their house, is because Shirley had not been found yet,
and determining where she was or could have been without these items was of interest.
IMOO.

" His wife, 87-year-old Shirley Dermond, was still missing Tuesday, officials said. "

" Sills said Shirley Dermond&#8217;s wallet, cellphone, purse and car were all left behind, making it difficult to track her whereabouts. "

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...ded-wife-missing-central-georgia#.VI22q77jttc

Thanks for clearing up that misinformation.
Many articles are written by taking different bits and pieces from other articles and sometimes the facts do get twisted or erroneously written.

Am so happy to hear this little bit of progress! Been moving, but think of this couple often. Maybe the software Gwinnett county is offering will speed things along. I may be way off base, but I think it was someone young; I said in the past that it was probably somebody on drugs and I still think that. I don't know why anybody would have to have military training to do what they did....is that naïve of me? Maybe, but I think the motive was $ and that it was closer to home - not necessarily a fisherman/hunter, but someone who knows that lake very well. Maybe grew up spending weekends, holidays there, summer vacations there....cough, cough. I hope I'm wrong.

Hope your move is going well, Happy. It's not one of my favorite pastimes!

I happen to believe your ideas about this case, are right on target. :twocents:

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members