GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The American Mafia, commonly known as the Mafia, Italian Mafia, Italian Mob, or the Mob in the United States, is a confederation of Italian American criminal societies. Similar to the Sicilian Mafia, the Italian-American Mafia is a secret criminal society without a formal name. Its members usually refer to it as Cosa Nostra (Italian pronunciation: [kɔza nɔstra]), a phrase which literally translates to "our thing," but can be more accurately paraphrased as "our work" or "our operation."

"This thing we have"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Mafia

MOO

Italian mafia, Russian mafia, and wanna-be mafia. "The mob" is a nickname for mafia. Either way, they're in and out. I can't imagine a hitman from the mob going through all the trouble the Dermond killer(s) did. Get in, shoot them, done. IMO the murders weren't mob-related at all.

"The American Mafia, commonly known as the Mafia, Italian Mafia, Italian Mob, or the Mob in the United States, is a confederation of Italian American criminal societies. Similar to the Sicilian Mafia, the Italian-American Mafia is a secret criminal society without a formal name. Its members usually refer to it as Cosa Nostra (Italian pronunciation: [kɔza nɔstra]), a phrase which literally translates to "our thing," but can be more accurately paraphrased as "our work" or "our operation."

"This thing we have"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Mafia

MOO

NP, I had read some things contradictory to this however, it referred to mafia being of the sicilian or italian group, whereas mob was not and some other minor differences, I think it was saying mafia more family than mob, and then you have seniority and the mafia is well known by the community whereas mob was more underground, not italian/sicilian or family necessarily

SO IDK

ok, not mob, not family, not robbery, D's not druggees, nothing sinister in their past

hmmmm

al queda/jihad?

At least we know there was more than one...needed someone to hold Mr. Dermond still so that he could be murdered with skill and precision. So many ideas, opinions and suggestions yet we know nothing.

Yeah I live in Jones County, been here 5 years. Definitely hunters and fishermen but not a haven for drugs.

I believe there may have been a drug problem a few years ago not anymore. The judges really cracked down hard on any type of illegal substance; many locals have told me they don't dare even touch weed anymore.

I think they went "zero tolerance" as a way to keep meth dealers (and neredowells from Bibb County) out of Jones county, our crime rates are very very low.

yes, lots of land there too for hidden pleasures lol

At least we know there was more than one...needed someone to hold Mr. Dermond still so that he could be murdered with skill and precision. So many ideas, opinions and suggestions yet we know nothing.

I think they determined he was dead before the decapitation, god I hope.

I'm still confused on the pool of blood that was recently reported, little blood splatter (presumed on the wall, maybe on the floor) and his body being moved a few feet, just a few feet may have been positioning (?) OK as I typed this I'm thinking, the minor blood splatter might indicate he was dead before decapitiation yet some blood would pool especially closer to the time of death I would imagine, otherwise, not as much, the longer you wait

Really awful to think on, so curious about how this all happened and why!!!!!

I found the article quite interesting and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I am from Georgia and Sheriff Sills has become a legend in his own time. I don't find anything wrong with it or talking about his background history.

The main thing everyone knows who is familiar with Sheriff Sills is he never gives up and he will continue to hunt this brutal murderer down until he takes his last breath.

All police agencies in every jurisdiction has unsolved cases. It doesn't mean they aren't doing their job or are inept. He is far from inept and I cant think of a better law enforcement officer on the Dermond case than SS.

We need more like him all across the country. He never stops pursuing justice for victims.

He's tough and everyone that knows him knows that. He is what you see and I find that refreshing. You will get no false pretenses from SS. He is a straight shooter.

He is highly respected even by other law enforcement officers in other jurisdictions. They know if anyone can solve this case it will be SS.

IMO

I like him too Ocean Blue Eyes. By the picture of his office, it seems the case is swallowing him.

Office: Sheriff Howard Sills works in his office in the summer of 2014. The map, at left, is an aerial view of properties in Great Waters. The map remains in Sills’ office today. - File photos

"Contemplating the case and the past year, Sills said, “I feel guilty about this and I can’t articulate it. … It just doesn’t seem to be right for me to have fun until those people are caught.

“Actually, I think about it less when I’m working on it. … It’s your idle time where it gnaws at you.”

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1d07824e-eea9-11e4-95a5-43e98b88ebd5.html?mode=jqm

55412fc70da99_image.jpg

The Dermond home is beautiful.

0515_howardsills04_cck_oneuseonly.jpg

Down where the Oconee opens up, in a bend above the Wallace Dam, the lake swings north toward the Ritz lodge four miles away. It was there, five miles from the Dermond home, that two fishermen found Shirley Dermond’s body. Ten days had passed since her husband was found slain, and now here she was in the water, her back to the sky. Her body had been weighed down and placed where it was found. Sills won’t elaborate, just that her killer meant for the 46-foot-deep water to be her tomb. Her body had swelled and bobbed to the surface, snagging in a treetop left over from when the river was flooded to build the lake. When the sheriff got there on a patrol boat, he reached over the side and wrapped his arms around the body. Good God, he thought. It was bloated twice its living size. He needed help heaving it into the boat. An autopsy revealed she was dead when she was dropped in, killed by a blow to the head. Unlike her husband, she was not decapitated. - See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.mp9KE0IZ.dpuf

I'm still confused on the pool of blood that was recently reported, little blood splatter (presumed on the wall, maybe on the floor) and his body being moved a few feet, just a few feet may have been positioning (?) OK as I typed this I'm thinking, the minor blood splatter might indicate he was dead before decapitiation yet some blood would pool especially closer to the time of death I would imagine, otherwise, not as much, the longer you wait

Wasn't his body found between two vehicles? If he were killed there and dropped the killers likely had to drag him a few feet to have room to swing the blade/ax. One would also think elevating the head would help too.

Her body had been weighed down and placed where it was found. Sills won’t elaborate, just that her killer meant for the 46-foot-deep water to be her tomb. Her body had swelled and bobbed to the surface, snagging in a treetop left over from when the river was flooded to build the lake.

I know SS said that her body revealed evidence that could identify her killer but honestly I find that rather hard to believe.

I guess if someone confesses then the evidence could prove they were telling the truth but after 10 days in the water they couldn't have recovered much from the body evidence wise.

I know SS said that her body revealed evidence that could identify her killer but honestly I find that rather hard to believe.

I guess if someone confesses then the evidence could prove they were telling the truth but after 10 days in the water they couldn't have recovered much from the body evidence wise.

I hate to go there, but...had she been raped, would the evidence stay there after being submerged underwater?

I know we have discussed the motive of burglary and what could the Dermonds have had that caused someone to murder them, gold, swords, etc.

I wonder if perhaps he collected firearms? Just random thought if he had sold a firearm to someone, and I'm sure he kept meticulous records of the firearms he sold, and that someone killed him with his own firearm thus the reason to remove the head. Perhaps the original plan was to dismember both bodies, but the neighbor kept spooking them.

"In the driveway was that day’s edition of USA Today. The previous day’s as well. There, in a shaded cul-de-sac that backs up to the water, was the neighbor who had discovered the death. It had been days since he’d seen or heard from the elderly couple who lived in the house. The neighbor had phoned them several times. Nothing. So he’d gone over to check. The door was unlocked. There had been some confusion after he called for help. Bodies were not all over. There was just one. - See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.mp9KE0IZ.dpuf

Anyway, I hear dismembering a body isn't so easy. Maybe the plans changed and the phone ringing regularly they figured they better the heck out of dodge. Stopped after beheading Mr. Dermond, loaded the boat with Mrs. Dermond and Mr. D's head and left the same way they came in - except for the detour to dump Mrs. Dermond overboard. I do expect they got some pleasure out of the decapitation and the horror it would inflict upon the community. Maybe the plan was to kidnap Mrs. Dermond and she didn't survive the blow to the head.

"Sills said finding Shirley “jumps us about two checkers up on the checkerboard.” It meant that whoever killed the Dermonds either arrived by boat or used one. A reporter asked if Shirley’s body might have been found sooner had other agencies been brought in. Sills seethed but didn’t show it. He said his deputies and wildlife rangers, among others, had crisscrossed the lake for days. He said Lake Oconee was an “18,000-acre impoundment that covers the breadth of four counties.” “I suppose,” he said, “we could have called in the whole United States Navy.” Someone asked what kind of person the killer might be. “A homicidal individual,” Sills said, “that doesn’t deserve to breathe the air of this earth.” - See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.mp9KE0IZ.dpuf

I figure it lies with whatever she was tied up with, zip ties and rope, unique cinder block, etc. Maybe evidence was preserved under the fingernails if still preserved with the body. The water was cold. I'm hoping if she was raped some DNA might be available from that. Maybe even fibers from the boat if it had some type of outdoor floor covering. I keep praying God will find a witness...

Wherever a man commits a crime, God finds a witness. Every secret crime has its reporter. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wasn't his body found between two vehicles? If he were killed there and dropped the killers likely had to drag him a few feet to have room to swing the blade/ax. One would also think elevating the head would help too.

Between a Lincoln Town Car and a Lexus SUV. I wonder if they had an area specifically for cleaning fish, an outdoor area or an area in the garage itself. Again random thoughts. I wondered if Shirley enjoyed fishing from her pier, or if they allowed someone they knew to fish from their pier?

Maybe Shirley fought back and drew blood. Blood DNA can still be found in fabric after being immersed in water for a long time.

Yes, positioning the body, dragged a few feet for that likely

Yes, , FOR SOME reason i always thought the blood splatter was on the wall, yet he was between the two cars and in that I picture him further from the wall, according to reports, he was knocked out or killed first and may have been closer to the front or the back of the garage initially so to position the body, dragged a few feet for that,

skull evidence maybe as far as weapon used, if that's much evidence at all, but yeah I wonder too Vedder, about rape, Idk

This thread got really quiet for a long time, maybe SS thought you all might come up with something new after his morsels were given again recently, ROFL, if so, it worked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95