GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although exterior motion detector lights and security system signs are a two effective burglar deterrents, imo. The following article shares another excellent idea;

http://features.aol.com/video/clever-trick-keep-house-burglars-away?ncid=webmail1

Clever trick to keep house burglars away
Former CIA officer Jason Hanson shares a clever trick that could keep burglars away from your home this summer.

You made me watch it Fox lol. It says don't leave front porch light on 24/7 as he says most folks just leave on at night, and turn out the lights in the morning; and put a big dog bowl by your backdoor so folks that may case think you have a big dog.

IF someone (A) had ticked off someone else (B) so bad that they cut someone else's (C) head off and sent it to them (A) do you think that they (A) would tell LO and turn over B's head or that they (A) would be more afraid of C if they (A) told? And maybe they (A) would get in deep ** too if they confessed what they knew. Of maybe the head is being held by A or C as insurance or proof or evidence to implicate someone?
HUH?

IF someone (A) had ticked off someone else (B) so bad that they cut someone else's (C) head off and sent it to them (A) do you think that they (A) would tell LO and turn over B's head or that they (A) would be more afraid of C if they (A) told? And maybe they (A) would get in deep ** too if they confessed what they knew. Of maybe the head is being held by A or C as insurance or proof or evidence to implicate someone?
HUH?

I hope Mr. Dermond's head is at the bottom of Lake Oconee. To think someone would do this to another human being then "hold" the head is beyond consideration. Whoever did this is still walking among us...can you even imagine?

It took me a minute but I think I see what you're saying. Whoever the perp is couldn't go after who he really was mad at, so it was a message via the D's....this is what's going to happen to you if you don't do this or pay what you owe me. In that way, it could be a message (if I got that right).
I wasn't saying my theory was home invasion or theft in the most thought of way; I was thinking more along the lines of somebody came to talk to Mr. D about something he had for sale or "when are you going to sell me the ______ we talked about?" and things went badly. Again, just a possibility.

Just heard that an 81 year old woman shot and killed her husband last night. Lives in Harbor Club, Greene Co. lake development. She called 911 to turn herself in. No details available.

It took me a minute but I think I see what you're saying. Whoever the perp is couldn't go after who he really was mad at, so it was a message via the D's....this is what's going to happen to you if you don't do this or pay what you owe me. In that way, it could be a message (if I got that right).
I wasn't saying my theory was home invasion or theft in the most thought of way; I was thinking more along the lines of somebody came to talk to Mr. D about something he had for sale or "when are you going to sell me the ______ we talked about?" and things went badly. Again, just a possibility.

Got it! But your guess is as good as mine. Whatever it is,
let's hope that SS has the perps in his sights and is building the case before making a move or tipping his hand! Too many metaphors in one sentence!

Got it! But your guess is as good as mine. Whatever it is,
let's hope that SS has the perps in his sights and is building the case before making a move or tipping his hand! Too many metaphors in one sentence!

If this was a message...and I think it was..then the person would have to know it was intended for them. I would be scrambling to get out of Dodge.

If this was a message...and I think it was..then the person would have to know it was intended for them. I would be scrambling to get out of Dodge.

Me too! And telling everything I know! So, whoever the message was for is not telling for a reason. Could be more afraid of what they would do to him/her or the family if they told or the person(s) that the message is for is involved?
Just throwing out ideas.

Me too! And telling everything I know! So, whoever the message was for is not telling for a reason. Could be more afraid of what they would do to him/her or the family if they told or the person(s) that the message is for is involved?
Just throwing out ideas.

Maybe the message has been received and those that received it, have done what needed to be done. And we or anyone else for that matter would not know.

In some of the scenarios that bubble around in my head with the discussion over the last couple of pages, Mr. Dermond becomes the "substitute" for the person whom the perp/s was/were "really after."

Almost as though the message is: I(we) told you this is what would happen to you if you did/didn't (do as I/we want/wanted ...whatever). We expected you to be here, but you weren't (or, We expected the Dermonds to lead us to you, but they wouldn't cooperate...) -- so he died your death. We will find you, too.

In that kind of situation, I'd surmise that the desired "target" is a male -- since Mr. Dermond, the "substitute", was male -- OR maybe that Mr. Dermond made some kind of surprise move -- tried to run, grabbed a phone, went for a gun in its hiding place, tried to hit an alarm button, etc., and the perp/s "stopped" him. Or maybe the perp/s just wasn't going to risk "waiting around" so sent the "message" and went on his/their way, fully capable of doing the same thing to the real "target" when the chance comes.

Back at the very beginning, I was convinced this had something to do with the murdered son. I am starting to lean that way again, though I wouldn't put ALL my money there or anything. There was a time when we discussed whether the son, rather than dying, ended up in witness protection -- but it was pointed out that it would be unlikely for a man to be sent to prison for a murder that didn't happen, and I had to agree ... although....

But what about someone else involved in that case, or maybe some other dealings the son MD might have been involved in? Someone could have testified, someone could have gone into witness protection...or, at least, laid very low.

Could such a someone have had reason to contact or visit the Dermonds? They were probably nearing the end of their natural lives -- could that have prompted a contact?

I know Sills has indicated, way back, that he didn't think there was any connection to the son's past/fate, but he said a lot of things, back then ...and not a whole lot since.

In some of the scenarios that bubble around in my head with the discussion over the last couple of pages, Mr. Dermond becomes the "substitute" for the person whom the perp/s was/were "really after."

Almost as though the message is: I(we) told you this is what would happen to you if you did/didn't (do as I/we want/wanted ...whatever). We expected you to be here, but you weren't (or, We expected the Dermonds to lead us to you, but they wouldn't cooperate...) -- so he died your death. We will find you, too.

In that kind of situation, I'd surmise that the desired "target" is a male -- since Mr. Dermond, the "substitute", was male -- OR maybe that Mr. Dermond made some kind of surprise move -- tried to run, grabbed a phone, went for a gun in its hiding place, tried to hit an alarm button, etc., and the perp/s "stopped" him. Or maybe the perp/s just wasn't going to risk "waiting around" so sent the "message" and went on his/their way, fully capable of doing the same thing to the real "target" when the chance comes.

Back at the very beginning, I was convinced this had something to do with the murdered son. I am starting to lean that way again, though I wouldn't put ALL my money there or anything. There was a time when we discussed whether the son, rather than dying, ended up in witness protection -- but it was pointed out that it would be unlikely for a man to be sent to prison for a murder that didn't happen, and I had to agree ... although....

But what about someone else involved in that case, or maybe some other dealings the son MD might have been involved in? Someone could have testified, someone could have gone into witness protection...or, at least, laid very low.

Could such a someone have had reason to contact or visit the Dermonds? They were probably nearing the end of their natural lives -- could that have prompted a contact?

I know Sills has indicated, way back, that he didn't think there was any connection to the son's past/fate, but he said a lot of things, back then ...and not a whole lot since.

One statement that always blocks ideas for me was that they knew or were familiar with their killer (s). The idea that they had even minimal contact, prior to this visit, makes it more confusing and limits the number of possible suspects. IMO, the field is narrowed to someone local or with close local connections. The public has been given so little information...

I think local and recent (as in maybe they know the perp's grandparents). I wish they would just give out the FBI profile, if nothing else. It's been so long, I am afraid they really don't have a clue and that bothers me. I have said before - and I don't know what good it would do - but if they had been my parents, I would be ranting and raving all over CNN,l camping out on SS's front steps, etc.

One statement that always blocks ideas for me was that they knew or were familiar with their killer (s). The idea that they had even minimal contact, prior to this visit, makes it more confusing and limits the number of possible suspects. IMO, the field is narrowed to someone local or with close local connections. The public has been given so little information...

bbm: Oh, don't let THAT stop you! lol

Joking aside, I guess I don't take that statement as real weighty in my ponderings. It may turn out to be exactly true (IF we ever even know who killed the Dermonds), but for now I just look at that as a sort of first-impressions, first-working-theory comment Sills made, not necessarily part of a carefully developed profile. I may be wrong. Then, Sills might have been wrong, on that one.

JMO

Maybe the message has been received and those that received it, have done what needed to be done. And we or anyone else for that matter would not know.

Yes, agree. When messages are sent within a group that are cryptic, but directional, those that are members from which the message is sent fully understand the message clearly, including the nuances.

Question: Does anyone here have an example of someone that went into witness protection that was similar to this? How doooooooooes LE explain to media and LE and family...to get them to lay off... shhhhhhhhhhhhh iykwim. There are lots of folks in witness protection (well, I have nooooooooooooo idea, just assume).

Sorry, my mind is wandering as an O/T about witness protection programs and what has happened if family thinks bad stuff has happended...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know any cases where someone was in WPP - but anything is possible in this case. I can't understand why there are no updates on this - Where's Mark Winne? It's like no one cares! Well, we do. Somebody needs to pay for this heinous crime. The longer it goes unsolved, the more I feel like it's going to go cold. I hope that's not true. Does anyone know when the newspaper is updated (the Eatonton Messenger)? I paid for it but haven't seen anything new, so much for that $30!

Question: Does anyone here have an example of someone that went into witness protection that was similar to this? How doooooooooes LE explain to media and LE and family...to get them to lay off... shhhhhhhhhhhhh iykwim. There are lots of folks in witness protection (well, I have nooooooooooooo idea, just assume).

Sorry, my mind is wandering as an O/T about witness protection programs and what has happened if family thinks bad stuff has happended...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not really answering your question(s), which are interesting ones, but kind of jumping off your post.

I don't know a whole lot about "witness protection", and I can't cite a WS case where it is known to have come into play. (Anybody?)

I HAVE read some about it, during following this case. The way I understand it, the U.S. Marshals Service operates the federal Witness Security program; then, too, some states have their own state-level witness protection programs. How it all operates is, understandably, a bit mysterious, but there is a good bit of basic info out there.

One thing I have noticed is that there was mention in several of the earlier articles on this case that U.S. Marshals Service agents/officers (not sure of the correct term) were involved in this investigation...not sure if that might be significant or not. I am not real "up" on all the duties and services of the Marshals Service -- I am wondering how common it is for it to be involved in cases we discuss on WS. Anybody? (The FBI has been involved, too, of course -- maybe the two federal agencies tend to be involved in the same cases...? Just not sure.)

Anyhow, here is the link to a page at the U.S. Marshals Service web site that has links to PDFs of several fact sheets; the one about the overview of the Service and the one about Witness Security might be helpful:

http://www.usmarshals.gov/duties/factsheets/index.html

Not really answering your question(s), which are interesting ones, but kind of jumping off your post.

I don't know a whole lot about "witness protection", and I can't cite a WS case where it is known to have come into play. (Anybody?)

I HAVE read some about it, during following this case. The way I understand it, the U.S. Marshals Service operates the federal Witness Security program; then, too, some states have their own state-level witness protection programs. How it all operates is, understandably, a bit mysterious, but there is a good bit of basic info out there.

One thing I have noticed is that there was mention in several of the earlier articles on this case that U.S. Marshals Service agents/officers (not sure of the correct term) were involved in this investigation...not sure if that might be significant or not. I am not real "up" on all the duties and services of the Marshals Service -- I am wondering how common it is for it to be involved in cases we discuss on WS. Anybody? (The FBI has been involved, too, of course -- maybe the two federal agencies tend to be involved in the same cases...? Just not sure.)

Anyhow, here is the link to a page at the U.S. Marshals Service web site that has links to PDFs of several fact sheets; the one about the overview of the Service and the one about Witness Security might be helpful:

http://www.usmarshals.gov/duties/factsheets/index.html

Backwoods, it is becoming more common for the FBI/BAU, US Marshalls, as well as Homeland Security, and other agencies to be utilized in high profile abduction; missing/murdered persons investigations when requested. We could name off a half dozen cases over the past few years where the resources of multiple county, state, and federal agencies were brought in to assist. The Holly Bobo(04/13/2011-TN) abduction is just one of these examples;

http://www.examiner.com/article/hol...emains-active-rumors-case-went-cold-dispelled

Holly Bobo: Investigation remains active, rumors case went cold dispelled

TBI Special Agent Mehr said authorities still receive and follow tips daily. He said in an email last Friday, “The TBI, FBI, U.S. Marshal Service, Tennessee Department of Homeland Security, and Decatur County Sheriff’s Office are working together every day on the case and we have other agencies assisting when they are called upon."
<sniped - read more>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member