GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not supposed to quote anything on here about the family, are we? Just saw the only article I've ever seen that mentioned 2 grandchildren. I don't want to post it and get in trouble for it, though.

I think... We are not supposed to discuss family, but I think we can post the link to a legitimate article that they are mentioned in.

We are not supposed to quote anything on here about the family, are we? Just saw the only article I've ever seen that mentioned 2 grandchildren. I don't want to post it and get in trouble for it, though.

Sorry, Happyshoes, can't answer your question. I'm sure a more experienced WS will be able to.

Random thoughts......

If the Dermond's were not targeted, why would perps take the chance of entering a gated community, with manned entrances and exits? I've always thought a gated community gives one an extra layer of security, but if someone wants to get in, they will find a way. :twocents:

IMHO

Quoting from my post ~#259
IIRC, within a week of discovery of Mr D, Sheriff said he had. looked thru all the checks the D's had written for the past __ years.
I thought I heard 2 years, but someone on an early thread said 10 yrs. IDK. No link.
On hearing that way back then, I thought that was a very speedy review of finances and it w/likely take longer than that.

New:
At time of that interview maybe LE thought they had looked at all the pertinent financial statements of Mr&MrsD.

Possible that LE missed other a/c statements & records. For ex, a/c's in name of a business partnership, family trust,
family ltd partnership, business LLC, etc., that had financial implications for Mr&Mrs (taxable income or losses, capital gains).

From the handful of ppl I know as participants in something along these lines, it's common
that only one partner or one family member keep the bulk of monthly a/c statements & records,
and all tax prep materials and the tax return themselves.
Others in the trust, partnership, or LLC would have only a few lines on their own tax filings, or a few pages of forms each yr.
It would not necessarily be a cabinet full of big fat files marked XYZ partnership/bus/ trust.

If LE were following the money trial and looking for clues at the D home,
it would be very easy to overlook something that seems
as innocuous as a couple entries on the D's 1040 fed tax form, or a couple 'extra' business related IRS schedules.
And of course, that assumes that LE reviewed hardcopy tax forms.

LE may not even have yet today accessed all data from the D's computers, which might have shown these kinds of $ clues.

So the financial records Sheriff S got on CD the other day may open a whole new avenue of investigation.

(By noting that previously-unknown entities could be a family partnership, not suggesting anything about fam involvement.
Could be a partnership, LLC, or business trust that Mr&Mrs were involved w, but no other fam participating at all).

Also poss that records Sheriff got are for a newer enterprise - in that last several months or year,
or could go waaaaaay back to time MrD was still involved in running & managing the various fast food restaurants.

JMO, IMO, MOO, etc.

Random thoughts......

If the Dermond's were not targeted, why would perps take the chance of entering a gated community, with manned entrances and exits? I've always thought a gated community gives one an extra layer of security, but if someone wants to get in, they will find a way. :twocents:

IMHO

Especially if the perp(s) came by water, as has been theorized.

Interesting read & title; Reynold Plantation Blog - Need More Buyers 8/8/14

Warning 8/6/14

Forewarning: Received a call from a young man who I assumed was my Grandson. He had a tale about being in jail and needing money right away. Was embarrassed & wanted the deal to be just between us. Red flags went up with me so hung up and called Grandson and of course found out the call was not from him. Just wonder how they got my land phone number and wondered if they might be hitting on areas like the Plantation knowing we are all most likely grandparents with a little cash.

http://reynoldsplantationblog.com/2014/08/06/warning-8614-1049am/

Many homes and properties have been on the market for 2 to 3 years and have been reduced by 50% and still don’t sell!! The recent lightning strike is a perfect example. Originally listed for over $3mill and reduced to $1.75 and still didn’t sell.

http://reynoldsplantationblog.com/2014/07/18/an-additional-opinion-opinion-71814-957am/

I don't want to get in trouble on here, so I am going to mention an article I saw from back in May shortly after this happened on the examiner.com. I don't know how many of you saw it, but I'm thinking Ocean Blue Eyes might have since she mentioned weapons (and possibly one missing) that were bought on a trip to Europe, swords and axes. I saw a picture of those from a 2007 trip the Ds took on facebook. I don't know where the picture was taken but it looked like someone's basement or a gray slab wall, have no idea. It is not on fb anymore. I just got that creepy feeling again. *shiver*
Will someone write a short review for me about the time we were talking about a message on a business networking site (linkedin, I think it was) and what that said? The comment was from a made up person? Sorry, I don't keep notes. I think I'm going to buy a big dry erase board! Not trying to play detective, just want justice. Such a sorry thing to do to this nice couple, I want to see a perp walk soon.

I have been trying to keep up with this blog after finding it, because my wife I live close, Newton County, in a good neighborhood past 18 years and it is scary. We are a retired couple, my wife is retired RN, Me proud Navy Vet transferred here 1980 and I retired after 35 years service from a large company 1997. We do not know anything about this terrible crime, but I have wanted to post my opinion, of what could have happened. I see this horrific crime starting from a theft of items maybe thousand dollars or less that would only be missed by the Dermonds and not their children. I believe LE is seeing this crime as high dollar I don't see it that way. Did any service technicians have key or garage door code to their home not unusual. I am sure 99.999 % are all good but maybe a bad one. Who would you open door for and never question, if it was not family? Could Shirley have noticed that her gold watch, and silver or gold coin set was stolen or missing and they knew only one person had access to their home and this person was told or called. I would think most older people, myself included if they had something stolen, and house was not broken into would tell a friend his thoughts about a thief and warn him to be careful, if the person came to his home, and would not call LE to avoid getting that involved if it was of little value. Some would call person he thought responsible, others would just cancel service. I read nothing was taken from Dermonds home. Coins would not be missed by anyone and could have a lot of value. I would guess most older people collect or have collected coins. Example about 5 months ago my wife asked her friend for help with taking our silver coins to Conyers a place, located on Honey Creek Rd. for a buyer, she split them up and after 5 trips they were sold, some we had over 50 years I had no idea how many we had or what they were worth until she sold them. If person sells large amount in this location, where my wife went you must show ID, I think Lin said they copied her DL, they keep records of what you sold, that is good thing. I wonder if large amounts were sold in May or June. I hope LE would check on this. Our girls, would have no idea of how many coins if any we had and I doubt Dermond's boys and daughter did either..

This is just my opinion only and I know some will think it not very good one, Mr Dermond could have told the person he thought that had stolen from him, saying you are the only one that has been here and threatened to call LE if item's were not returned. What Mr. Dermond did not know the person he was talking to was a monster, that thought he would be fired or go to jail if he was reported. This set plan in motion he was lured down to boat dock by a well planned motive, then Shirley came looking for him, both were forced to board boat, at gun point or he could have been caught off guard in his yard. Mr. Dermond under pressure told these men that he had told his friend about the theft thinking they might spare him and his wife . The beheading was to send a message to his friend. I only know one thing for sure, If you have been married over 50 years and you are out of your wifes sight, longer than 10 minutes she comes looking for you. We have been Married over 50 years.

This may be nothing but I want to write what happened 6:00 PM Aug. 1, 2014 at our home this could be another way how the Dermonds were caught off guard, our motion sensor alarm for front porch sounded, I went and looked at monitor and told wife that tall heavy set white man about 40 with goatee was standing up against porch column , than he came on porch rang door bell and hit glass on storm door and backed off porch, to the column, this went on about five minutes he would never stay on porch, my big black lab, was barking loud all the time, first time for her to bark at anyone, she always wants to greet, wagging her tail when doorbell rings, not this time. He turned and went down side of house and got off camera. I went in the bathroom, peeped out window, he was standing by our truck on drivers side. I thought he could be trying to steal our truck. I returned to door and opened just enough for me to shout as loud as I could, we were going to call 911, I have you on camera . He must have heard me, and the 911 got his attention as he came from side of house back in my view, loud voice said he was checking our roof. He was out of yard in a flash. This man did not park his car into our driveway. He had parked his little red car out front on the opposite side of street, and he walked in. I don't know if he was alone or not because of trees in our yard hard to see and I was afraid to go on the porch and look. I wish now we had called 911 but at the time I was afraid we did not have emergency as he did not try to break in our house. This man could have wanted to check our roof, I don't know why and we have good roof, and I was not taking any chances. We do not open door for strangers. We had received a strange phone call, our caller ID showed 000-000-0000 and later this man showed up.

I know my views are different from most, my wife said go post them any way.

Moderator this is my first post please delete my post if I did anything wrong. I was afraid to use word's service and Technicians in my post but I decided they are only generic word's.

This was supposed to respond to Foxfire's reference to RE.

The real estate bubble hit the lake area really hard. It was then followed by the uncertainty surrounding the sale of Reynolds Plantation. Members were in limbo for a couple of years until it was settled by the MetLife purchase. There is lots of inventory, but that's not new. There are some bargains to be had. Much cheaper to buy than build right now, yet there is still construction going on. Go figure.

Very likely totally unrelated...but you never know: A county adjacent to Putnam County, Hancock County, lost its courthouse to fire early this morning. Sad, in any case:

[h=1]Fire destroys Hancock County courthouse[/h]...The courthouse, built in 1883, burned early Monday morning, leaving nothing but brick walls standing. ...

...It’s still unclear what records might have been lost. ...

...Insurance adjusters were on the scene Monday, as were agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The ATF agents were assisting in the investigation of the Hancock County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Office, according one investigator on the scene who referred all questions to the agency’s public information officer in Atlanta. ...

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/08/11/324...cock-county-courthouse.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Very likely totally unrelated...but you never know: A county adjacent to Putnam County, Hancock County, lost its courthouse to fire early this morning. Sad, in any case:

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/08/11/324...cock-county-courthouse.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Photo of the historical Hancock County, GA, Courthouse pre-fire..

http://hancockcountyga.gov/

Hancock County (est. Dec 17, 1793) was named after John Hancock of Mass., the first man to sign the Declaration of Independence. Sparta, The Seat of Justice in Hancock County, became a chartered town, Dec 3, 1803. Sparta was located at an Indian Trading Post and was in constant danger of border trouble, the town was named Sparta after the ancient Greek city of Sparta (known for it’s warriors), to indicate the bravery of it’s pioneer citizens.

After Fire>
http://www.macon.com/2014/08/11/3243978/hancock-county-courthouse-fire.html

Just thoughts -

How would the average Joe know that a gate camera was not working?

What if SS picked up their personal checkbook register and went through it only to see household expenses posted? He could go through years of registers in a hurry and not notice anything out of the ordinary.

If the picture of the weapons on the wall was posted on FB, anyone could have seen it and one of them (or group) could have wanted them for himself.

Just my thoughts - at the moment, anyway, but in response to watcher9's questions, I would venture

It may be more of a local Joe than an average Joe; and if he/they were coming and going by lake, wouldn't need gate security..? Just wondering who would know the D's system was on or off - that's why it took place outside, maybe.
I do remember SS saying he looked through 10 years of checkbooks, I would think to see if they had paid anyone new recently or if they paid bills online or wrote one check for a large amount...I'm kinda lost on the financial end. Hope he's looked into more of that.

I think the picture of the weapons was taken down, but I agree if it was as Retired1997 said, a collection of some sort. We don't know if one or any of them are missing, it was just eerie. I read today where Mark Fuhrman was on some crime show and even back in early May, he said Mr. D was left to send a message. Toughest case ever, I just have to feel SS is on to something.

I have been trying to keep up with this blog after finding it, because my wife I live close, Newton County, in a good neighborhood past 18 years and it is scary. We are a retired couple, my wife is retired RN, Me proud Navy Vet transferred here 1980 and I retired after 35 years service from a large company 1997. We do not know anything about this terrible crime, but I have wanted to post my opinion, of what could have happened. I see this horrific crime starting from a theft of items maybe thousand dollars or less that would only be missed by the Dermonds and not their children. I believe LE is seeing this crime as high dollar I don't see it that way. Did any service technicians have key or garage door code to their home not unusual. I am sure 99.999 % are all good but maybe a bad one. Who would you open door for and never question, if it was not family? Could Shirley have noticed that her gold watch, and silver or gold coin set was stolen or missing and they knew only one person had access to their home and this person was told or called. I would think most older people, myself included if they had something stolen, and house was not broken into would tell a friend his thoughts about a thief and warn him to be careful, if the person came to his home, and would not call LE to avoid getting that involved if it was of little value. Some would call person he thought responsible, others would just cancel service. I read nothing was taken from Dermonds home. Coins would not be missed by anyone and could have a lot of value. I would guess most older people collect or have collected coins. Example about 5 months ago my wife asked her friend for help with taking our silver coins to Conyers a place, located on Honey Creek Rd. for a buyer, she split them up and after 5 trips they were sold, some we had over 50 years I had no idea how many we had or what they were worth until she sold them. If person sells large amount in this location, where my wife went you must show ID, I think Lin said they copied her DL, they keep records of what you sold, that is good thing. I wonder if large amounts were sold in May or June. I hope LE would check on this. Our girls, would have no idea of how many coins if any we had and I doubt Dermond's boys and daughter did either..

This is just my opinion only and I know some will think it not very good one, Mr Dermond could have told the person he thought that had stolen from him, saying you are the only one that has been here and threatened to call LE if item's were not returned. What Mr. Dermond did not know the person he was talking to was a monster, that thought he would be fired or go to jail if he was reported. This set plan in motion he was lured down to boat dock by a well planned motive, then Shirley came looking for him, both were forced to board boat, at gun point or he could have been caught off guard in his yard. Mr. Dermond under pressure told these men that he had told his friend about the theft thinking they might spare him and his wife . The beheading was to send a message to his friend. I only know one thing for sure, If you have been married over 50 years and you are out of your wifes sight, longer than 10 minutes she comes looking for you. We have been Married over 50 years.

This may be nothing but I want to write what happened 6:00 PM Aug. 1, 2014 at our home this could be another way how the Dermonds were caught off guard, our motion sensor alarm for front porch sounded, I went and looked at monitor and told wife that tall heavy set white man about 40 with goatee was standing up against porch column , than he came on porch rang door bell and hit glass on storm door and backed off porch, to the column, this went on about five minutes he would never stay on porch, my big black lab, was barking loud all the time, first time for her to bark at anyone, she always wants to greet, wagging her tail when doorbell rings, not this time. He turned and went down side of house and got off camera. I went in the bathroom, peeped out window, he was standing by our truck on drivers side. I thought he could be trying to steal our truck. I returned to door and opened just enough for me to shout as loud as I could, we were going to call 911, I have you on camera . He must have heard me, and the 911 got his attention as he came from side of house back in my view, loud voice said he was checking our roof. He was out of yard in a flash. This man did not park his car into our driveway. He had parked his little red car out front on the opposite side of street, and he walked in. I don't know if he was alone or not because of trees in our yard hard to see and I was afraid to go on the porch and look. I wish now we had called 911 but at the time I was afraid we did not have emergency as he did not try to break in our house. This man could have wanted to check our roof, I don't know why and we have good roof, and I was not taking any chances. We do not open door for strangers. We had received a strange phone call, our caller ID showed 000-000-0000 and later this man showed up.

I know my views are different from most, my wife said go post them any way.

Moderator this is my first post please delete my post if I did anything wrong. I was afraid to use word's service and Technicians in my post but I decided they are only generic word's.

retired1997 Great first post!!
:welcome4: :wagon: :fireworks:

Just thoughts -

How would the average Joe know that a gate camera was not working?

What if SS picked up their personal checkbook register and went through it only to see household expenses posted? He could go through years of registers in a hurry and not notice anything out of the ordinary.

If the picture of the weapons on the wall was posted on FB, anyone could have seen it and one of them (or group) could have wanted them for himself.

I had seen what I think is the picture in question. At that time I thought and I still do think that it was a photo from a vacation (like a museum).

Also, if it's the pictures I'm thinking off, they are still online. I'd post the link, but I don't remember if the Examiner is one of those publications that's not considered reputable. Anyway, the caption does state that the pictures were taken on a trip overseas.

Welcome retired1997

Great first post. We are open to new ideas and theories. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste