GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AJC article is from Friday Nov 7 and is premium content on website. My friend saw it in print edition. Not really anything different.

AJC article is from Friday Nov 7 and is premium content on website. My friend saw it in print edition. Not really anything different.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/six-months-later-grisly-eatonton-killings-remain-a/nh3LC/

Christian Boone Christian Boone
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Six months later, grisly Eatonton Killings remain a mystery
Posted: 12:49 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 | Filed in: Crime & Law
<BBM>

The furniture and curtains are gone, the walls freshly painted. Russell and Shirley Dermond&#8217;s possessions have been cleared out of the Reynolds Plantation residence they shared for 15 years, but the secrets surrounding their gruesome deaths remain trapped inside.

Oh, this poor couple.
I think of them often.
And say a prayer that my parents are still alive and well.

Looks as if most of the coverage is coming at 11 p.m.

A Lake without Leads: Putnam Co. murders remain a mystery

...Tonight at 11, the 11Alive Investigators take you inside the Putnam County murder mystery. 11Alive's Catie Beck talks to Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills about the deaths, which he's called the most frustrating homicides in his career. ...

more at: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...10/lake-oconee-murder-putnam-county/18811169/

Also says there will be a live chat before, during and after the broadcast, starting, I think, at 10:30 --questions, anybody?! (Article says you can leave your question in the chat box at the link in advance.)

My sister emailed me about the news @ 11 tonight, so I had to jump on here to see who knew what. I know better than to get my hopes up but I'll be watching. I so hope they get something new to work with.

Looks as if most of the coverage is coming at 11 p.m.

more at: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...10/lake-oconee-murder-putnam-county/18811169/

Also says there will be a live chat before, during and after the broadcast, starting, I think, at 10:30 --questions, anybody?! (Article says you can leave your question in the chat box at the link in advance.)

Thanx very much for sharing, Backwoods. Hope everyone is submitting their questions.. The pre-chat has one question submitted already...

Go for it Foxfire! Get some answers for us.!

The most significant information was released by Sheriff Howard Sills, imo, and was that the Dermonds alarm system may have been tampered with 2 weeks prior to their murders<paraphrased>.

He did not say that it may have been tampered with, so I don't see how you can suggest it indicates anything, 'likely' or not.

I've read through the chat once but really need to go back through it again, a bit more slowly, to take it all in. About the alarm, though -- the impression I took away (and I could be remembering incorrectly) was that Sills is saying it seems to have been "disconnected" more than once in the couple of weeks before the murder. Sounds like he is saying that was pretty much the one "odd" thing noticed at the house (other than Mr. Dermond's body, of course). I don't think he's saying they KNOW it was tampered with but it does sounds as if he might be wondering -- maybe there is no way to tell what caused the disconnects.

Elsewhere in the chat, I believe one of the reporters mentions, pretty confidently, that Sills has determined that the camera-outage at the gate was caused by a recent storm. I'm wondering if maybe the alarm disconnects might also have been caused by weather.

I guess, depending on the type of system, all kinds of things can go funky with alarm systems.

<sigh> Well, if anyone finds a transcript of the chat, please do post a link -- as I can't seem to find one.

Another thing mentioned that I wanted to look at again was about a former employee that Russell had fired who seemed to hold quite a grudge. I remember we heard a little about the guy before -- but in the chat, it was mentioned that he moved "to another country" and wrote a letter of apology to Russell not very long before the murders. Hmmm. I wonder in what country he is?

I've read through the chat once but really need to go back through it again, a bit more slowly, to take it all in. About the alarm, though -- the impression I took away (and I could be remembering incorrectly) was that Sills is saying it seems to have been "disconnected" more than once in the couple of weeks before the murder. Sounds like he is saying that was pretty much the one "odd" thing noticed at the house (other than Mr. Dermond's body, of course). I don't think he's saying they KNOW it was tampered with but it does sounds as if he might be wondering -- maybe there is no way to tell what caused the disconnects.

Elsewhere in the chat, I believe one of the reporters mentions, pretty confidently, that Sills has determined that the camera-outage at the gate was caused by a recent storm. I'm wondering if maybe the alarm disconnects might also have been caused by weather.

I guess, depending on the type of system, all kinds of things can go funky with alarm systems.

The thing with weather and wires getting messed up repeatedly, while it could be timed to weather, when there's murder involved, I imagine it would be worth a second look, especially, for somebody casing the property at the time, as part of some kind of plan, with intent to harm, as it may have been in this case.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin&#8217;. Life is simpler when you just plow around the stump".

RE: "Why have I not solved that murder," Sills said?

"Imo, all available investigative resources are not being utilized in the Dermond abduction/decapitation/murders"...

The former lives of the Dermonds have been turned inside out, there's not a single red flag they were living anything but ordinary lives. So why were they murdered?

Decades of detective work have never produced a case more confounding for Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills.
"I go to sleep every night thinking about this case&#8230;and I wake up every morning thinking about this case,"Sills said. "And I'm not exaggerating at all
"You can't make me believe there was any kind of randomness to this crime," Sills said... There's still no suspect. But Sills believes it was planned, pre-meditated and gruesome.

He golfed. She played bridge. They went to the Lake Oconee Community Church on Sundays. Their expenses were moderate; enemies non-existent.
In a sea of stacked cardboard boxes, Sill's desk serves as his island. It's a place to dig through the lives of the Dermonds.

The community seems safe. Serene. Even the crime scene was calm: no break-in, nothing stolen, no murder weapon or sign that the murders even happened there.

Sills still has hope that somehow the lake, or the home, or the records of the Dermonds life will become a lead -- that hope will heat up this case as it now becomes cold.

"Why have I not solved that murder," Sills said?

A Lake without Leads: Putnam Co. murders remain a mystery...
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...10/lake-oconee-murder-putnam-county/18811169/

<sigh> Well, if anyone finds a transcript of the chat, please do post a link -- as I can't seem to find one

<BBM & Respectfully sniped for focus>

Backwoods, I sent a request to WXIA TV11 Investigative Reporter Catie Beck for a link to a copy of the chat discussion. I'm beginning to wonder if the chat discussion was a mining expedition by Sheriff Sills in the investigation.. Although I suspected that the chat was being monitored by investigators. I was very surprised to see PC Sheriff Sills join in the chat discussion..

WXIA TV11 Facebook <scroll down to 10 hours ago for the Investigative article/there is one very interesting comment>
https://www.facebook.com/11Alive

The thing with weather and wires getting messed up repeatedly, while it could be timed to weather, when there's murder involved, I imagine it would be worth a second look, especially, for somebody casing the property at the time, as part of some kind of plan, with intent to harm, as it may have been in this case.

bbm: Oh, I definitely agree. I just wonder if there is any definite way to tell WHAT caused the malfunctions.

<BBM & Respectfully sniped for focus>

Backwoods, I sent a request to WXIA TV11 Investigative Reporter Catie Beck for a link to a copy of the chat discussion. I'm beginning to wonder if the chat discussion was a mining expedition by Sheriff Sills in the investigation.. Although I suspected that the chat was being monitored by investigators. I was very surprised to see PC Sheriff Sills join in the chat discussion..

WXIA TV11 Facebook <scroll down to 10 hours ago for the Investigative article/there is one very interesting comment>
https://www.facebook.com/11Alive

I was surprised to see the sheriff join in, too -- at first I wondered if it really was him. And yet...he really made very little input. It was strange.

I, too, surely got the feeling that last night's coverage and chat was probably very much a fishing expedition of sorts and was probably being closely monitored.

That comment! I couldn't see it because I don't do Facebook...but someone sent me the contents. Whoa. Have no idea if it's a wild rumor or might have some truth to it. If there's truth there...whoa.

I was surprised to see the sheriff join in, too -- at first I wondered if it really was him. And yet...he really made very little input. It was strange.

I, too, surely got the feeling that last night's coverage and chat was probably very much a fishing expedition of sorts and was probably being closely monitored.

That comment! I couldn't see it because I don't do Facebook...but someone sent me the contents. Whoa. Have no idea if it's a wild rumor or might have some truth to it. If there's truth there...whoa.

Yes, very interesting indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member