GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping for a bookcase today of all things, and came across an image in a comment thread in an article. It must be from a film or TV show, but I don't know that name. Does anyone know? Seems head collecting might have been a trait for a movie character. Scroll thru the article to the comments, you'll see the image I'm taking about. where is it from?
http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

I've officially declared that I'm a terrible witness.

The house behind me disappeared. It's just gone. A house. It didn't burn down, it was moved, but I have no idea when! I didn't see or hear anything!

Yes, it can happen, and I don't even know how. So I will no longer be surprised when there are no witnesses in cases on here. If I didn't see the huge trucks, cranes or whatever it took to move a house, then I'm positive a person could have disappeared and I wouldn't have a clue.

The house behind me disappeared. It's just gone. A house. It didn't burn down, it was moved, but I have no idea when! I didn't see or hear anything!

Yes, it can happen, and I don't even know how. So I will no longer be surprised when there are no witnesses in cases on here. If I didn't see the huge trucks, cranes or whatever it took to move a house, then I'm positive a person could have disappeared and I wouldn't have a clue.

<on the lighter side>

'Guess, you could say that it was a mobile home, huh'?

OK, you have GOT to be kidding! hahahaha, well I'd say if your TV is on or your music is going and the dishwasher and washer/dryer are running and the curtains are closed, your on the internet or deep into a good book, who WOULD SEE anything going on outside,

On the other hand, DID ONE person atleast see something!?

One person did, in this case, and didnt' even know it, and now the man on the lawn can't be identified...........so you can also be seeing with your eyes wide shut

Just had to comment, but please......... make sure you hear if they come to move your house! or we'll have to call you Dorothy or something

Just dropped by to see if anything new was going on. I wonder where Russell's head is and if it is weighted down in the lake somewhere.

Just dropped by to see if anything new was going on. I wonder where Russell's head is and if it is weighted down in the lake somewhere.
I'm still obsessed, too - who would do this to this couple and why? I wish they could find Russell's head, maybe it would tell us something. Maybe it will surgace like Mrs. D did and help us figure this out. This was my first case on WS, am so committed to finding their killer. Nobdy deserves that at their age, hardworking couple, trying to enjoy their golden years - I'm very angry and anxious to find out who would do this. ????d

The Dermond abduction/decapitation/murders investigation initially began with semi transparency by Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills. Tragically, after almost 11 months, there is only complete silence, as the investigative file is being relocated to the dark and musky smelling cold case room in the cellar of the Putnam County Sheriff's Department..

Sort of off Topic, and in another state, but imo some folks are beginning to see the value and importance of investigative transparency for increased awareness in the 21st century..

Memphis, TN Legislator ready to unveil secrecy of TBI, DCS...
http://wreg.com/2014/11/07/memphis-legislator-ready-to-unveil-secrecy-of-tbi-dcs/
<Video>

MEMPHIS, Tenn. &#8212; One Memphis lawmaker says it&#8217;s time for a change at the state&#8217;s top investigative agency.

The law lets the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation keep secret any evidence or witness information in a criminal case forever, and despite several pushes, the law was never changed. But this year may be different.

We may never know what TBI agents found when they investigated a number of controversial cases in Memphis because the agency&#8217;s investigative files are secret, protected by law until there&#8217;s a change.

&#8220;I think as we go into a new legislative session and new year, there are going to be recommendations as to how to become more transparent,&#8221; said John DeBerry, (D) TN
<snipped - Read More>

First time posting - - I've otherwise been a voyeur on this mind boggling case. Given the strong likelihood that this was not a random murder and involved more than one person leaves one with trying to come up with a motive. What's more intriguing is that the murderers were likely known to the Dermonds. As many of you have already indicated there are quite a few plausible motives to consider.Law enforcement appears to be stumped and we are left to speculate. What about a death of a Dermond acquaintance either natural or suicide, that included a shocking death bed revelation or note implicating one or more of the Dermonds in some form of horrible abuse - abuse that occurred in the past and tortured the victim up until death but was held secret? And then the surviving members of the victim's family seeking to avenge this abuse rather than report it to law enforcement? As previously stated, we are left to speculate. Hopefully justice will prevail soon.

Welcome to Websleuths and the Dermond thread, jonnyrock...

Jonnyrock, I agree that this was not a random murder, involved more than one person, but not sure that the murderers were known to the Dermonds. This was only speculation by Sheriff Sills, due to the lack of evidence indicating forcible entry, imo.

In less than 30 days, the Dermond abduction/decapitation/murders investigation will sadly be one year cold.. Imo, seems so obvious to me that the writing is on the wall and the Devil is in the details.. The primary reason for lack of success in the Dermond murder investigation is the refusal by Sheriff Howard Sills to utilize all investigative resources; the well trained and experienced GBI special agents... jmo

IIRC, SS was investigating phone records and bank transaction history? Would like an update Sheriff Sills! What is taking so long? Other than the fact that there is nothing to tell??

IIRC, SS was investigating phone records and bank transaction history? Would like an update Sheriff Sills! What is taking so long? Other than the fact that there is nothing to tell??

<Dermond murder investigation update from over 9 months ago>
<BBM for focus>

Son of slain couple in grisly Putnam case: Mystery &#8216;just eats at you&#8217;

BY JOE KOVAC JR.
jkovac@macon.com August 6, 2014

In the days and weeks since early May when his elderly parents were killed, Keith Dermond has been as puzzled as anyone else.

Russell and Shirley Dermond had been married 62 years. Both in their late 80s, they fell prey to unspeakable violence -- savagery as the Putnam County sheriff has called it -- and whoever inflicted it seems to have left nary a trace.

[B]&#8220;It just eats at you that somebody could do this and possibly get away with it. ... We don&#8217;t even know the motive at this point,&#8221; Keith Dermond said by phone Wednesday. &#8220;It&#8217;s very hard to catch somebody when you don&#8217;t even know their motive[/B], and you don&#8217;t know whether they would do it again.&#8221;

Read more here: [url]http://www.macon.com/2014/08/06/3236608/son-of-slain-couple-in-grisly.html#storylink=cpy[/url]

[B]'Sheriff Howard Sills said the case still weighs on him. Sills said he rose at 4 a.m. the other day to make note of an investigative angle that came to him in the middle of the night'..[/B]

>>>Deja vu>>>>>

Sunset - 'Angels & Demons' > [url]http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892[/url] - By: Thomas French.
'One year had gone by since the murders, and then another, and now the investigators were deep into a third. They were working day and night, working weekends, putting off vacations, losing weight, gaining weight, growing pale and pasty and haggard, waking at 3 a.m. with a jolt and scratching notes on pads beside their beds. Their sergeant did not know if they would ever find the answer. As far as he was concerned, the case was not even in their hands.

Ultimately, he believed, it was up to God whether they made an arrest.

A born-again Christian, the sergeant carried a Bible in his briefcase. He had no doubt that both heaven and hell were real. He saw good and evil not as theoretical or philosophical concepts, but as absolute realities walking upright through the world. He believed in the forces of light and darkness. He believed in demonic possession. He took it as a matter of fact that Satan and his cohorts currently reigned over the Earth.

"I believe there are demons all around us," he would say, "just as I believe there are angels all around us."

And when he looked at the evidence from the case before them now, studied the photos of the bodies and the ropes and the concrete blocks, the sergeant had no doubt that he and the other investigators were pursuing someone driven by Satanic forces.

Of course demons were real. They were hunting one now...

There&#8217;s conflicting signs that the killings were the work of professionals.

&#8220;For everything that looks professional, there&#8217;s something that isn&#8217;t,&#8221; Sills said. &#8220;This is not the work of some drug-crazed individuals, and this is not some professional assassin.&#8221;

I have not followed this case closely so am playing catch up, I live very close to Putnam county which is why this interests me.

Two killers could explain the "conflicting" signs regarding whether a professional was involved. If revenge of some sort played a part in this then one of the killers could have been emotionally involved and made mistakes that the other smarter/more experienced individual cleaned up.

Dumping the body in water could have been a way of cleaning up mistakes (destroying evidence), taking a head could also be a way to destroy evidence but it seems rather dramatic, unless of course it was impractical to relocate two bodies without a return trip.

If that was the case then that would make for a strange relationship between the two killers. If these folks aren't dumb (and at least one seems to be pretty bright) then everyone knows the best way for two folks to keep a secret is if one is dead. That would imply the two killers either have some sort of close trusting relationship OR one is waiting to get paid from the estate.

JMO.

Another note....apologies if these ideas have already been discussed ad nauseum...

If they think someone was in the house but nothing had been stolen then do we know if the couple were gun owners or self defense minded? I visit a state run gun range in Putnam county and recall the range master complaining that the folks in that county will shoot you for walking on their lawn...lol.

If the killers were in the house but nothing was stolen that would make me think they had a friendly "visitor" ahead of time that paved the way for the accomplice, and that would mean cleaning up evidence that the visitor was there (dishes etc...).

These were two presumably frail older people, if someone knew them and could gain access by visiting why would they need an accomplice? Because they didn't have the guts to do the job on their own? If there were two individuals and parts of this crime looked professional then I would wonder if the instigator was a female/young relative that the couple knew, and that person brought in a more experienced individual to help with the murders.

I have not followed this case closely so am playing catch up, I live very close to Putnam county which is why this interests me.

Two killers could explain the "conflicting" signs regarding whether a professional was involved. If revenge of some sort played a part in this then one of the killers could have been emotionally involved and made mistakes that the other smarter/more experienced individual cleaned up.

Dumping the body in water could have been a way of cleaning up mistakes (destroying evidence), taking a head could also be a way to destroy evidence but it seems rather dramatic, unless of course it was impractical to relocate two bodies without a return trip.

If that was the case then that would make for a strange relationship between the two killers. If these folks aren't dumb (and at least one seems to be pretty bright) then everyone knows the best way for two folks to keep a secret is if one is dead. That would imply the two killers either have some sort of close trusting relationship OR one is waiting to get paid from the estate.

JMO.

Another note....apologies if these ideas have already been discussed ad nauseum...

If they think someone was in the house but nothing had been stolen then do we know if the couple were gun owners or self defense minded? I visit a state run gun range in Putnam county and recall the range master complaining that the folks in that county will shoot you for walking on their lawn...lol.

If the killers were in the house but nothing was stolen that would make me think they had a friendly "visitor" ahead of time that paved the way for the accomplice, and that would mean cleaning up evidence that the visitor was there (dishes etc...).

These were two presumably frail older people, if someone knew them and could gain access by visiting why would they need an accomplice? Because they didn't have the guts to do the job on their own? If there were two individuals and parts of this crime looked professional then I would wonder if the instigator was a female/young relative that the couple knew, and that person brought in a more experienced individual to help with the murders.

Sonya610, thanx for sharing your ideas and keeping the discussion going. All theories are welcomed. Imo, awareness is very important to increase the probability of justice for the Dermonds and their family. In a chat discussion which followed a local media investigative report a few months ago. Sheriff Howard Sills chimed in and shared some new info concerning suspicious activity on the Dermond's security alarm system two weeks prior to their murders.
Imo, the Dermond abduction/decapitation/murders were very well planned and executed with precision, culminating with the exact results intended by the perp/s... jmo

JMO.

Whoever murdered the Dermonds either is a pro or should start hiring out, because they have certainly baffled everyone in law enforcement.

I like your ideas, Sonya610. Keep them coming.

Praying they find whoever did this horrific thing! I'm just now reading up on this case in shock and horror that whoever did this to these poor people are still out there! Prayers for the family that they get some answers soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amandalynn72