GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How incredibly sad.
and the poor baby that pulled all her hair out before she died.....:tantrum:

I'm not clicking on the link but that's the story that I heard that sent me over the edge into anger. It's not just "whoops I forgot he's dead now" the child goes through horrific torture before dying.

Beautiful little boy; he reminds me so much of my great nephew at that age. Certainly someone who works with the dad would know how he was behaving during work that day. If he had already passed before dad went to work and he was trying to cover it up, he must be a very good actor if he knew that little boy was already gone. I don't know anyone of my family or friends who would be able to act like nothing was wrong.

Slightly off-topic, but you hear so many stories of children dying in hot cars. Why doesn't anyone ever hear these children in the car maybe crying for help or see them before it's too late? Yes, I'm sure many fall asleep while their parents are driving, but I would think if they were hot they may possibly wake up and cry. So sad for them! I can't but always wonder why especially some of the older ones don't try and get out on their own or bang on the windows.

I found one in a car once. All sweaty and screaming bloody murder. I called 911 and was looking for something to break the window with, police musta been right around the corner cause they were there in a minute. Had the car door open in about 10 seconds. Ambulance came...officer took my information. mom finally came strolling out from Bed Bath & Beyond...I left. I didn't want or need to be arrested for punching her right in the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody who knows the family started a fund raiser for the mom and dad. Based on CNN report and local reports in Atlanta imo they should shut that site down.

[modsnip]

Check out the comments page. Someone named KW [modsnip]. She is nailing anyone who doesn't think the father is innocent and simply had a senior moment with the child. Interesting. And I see change.org has almost 10,000 signatures requesting his release.

that thud was me hitting the floor.....''neurological explanation aka Fatal Distraction'' could happen to anyone?? ....((from comments ))

that thud was me hitting the floor.....''neurological explanation aka Fatal Distraction'' could happen to anyone?? ....((from comments ))

Yes, in the right circumstances. It's usually when a parent's normal routine is interrupted. People have way too many responsibilities/distractions these days and the human brain is an imperfect machine.

MOO, a prosecutor or DA would want a pretty good case before charging a grieving father with murder in this situation.

I think they have forensic evidence that the way dad tells it could not be the way it went down.

Curious to see what evidence they've gathered so far.

I found one in a car once. All sweaty and screaming bloody murder. I called 911 and was looking for something to break the window with, police musta been right around the corner cause they were there in a minute. Had the car door open in about 10 seconds. Ambulance came...officer took my information. mom finally came strolling out from Bed Bath & Beyond...I left. I didn't want or need to be arrested for punching her right in the face.

I found a baby in a car once, weirdly at a Home Depot. She was 3 months old, tops, strapped into her carseat and screaming bloody murder. It was hot, but the windows were rolled down, thank goodness. I was overcome by an overwhelming desire to grab that baby and drive away! It was a real struggle not to. I stood next to the car and screamed at the first poor soul who wandered out of the garden department to get help NOW. He got an employee, they called 911. Turns out it was the GRANDMA who left the baby in the car with her older brother who was maybe 5, he was supposed to "watch her", but he left her and went into the store looking for grandma when the baby started crying. When the police came, I was shaking and crying as I talked to them. Grandma just looked annoyed. Guess what...she was allowed to leave with both of those kids. I'll never forget it.

Children are precious. More so than anything else on earth. How is it that everybody doesn't understand this?

I can't stomach any of the comments. Not the over-the-top screaming innocent ones OR the "fry him like his kid" ones.

We can sit in the comfort of our homes with live kids and say we would NEVER do such a thing, but it CAN happen, and does to many, many people. People say, "How can he never think about his kid all day?" No one said that he didn't, and studies show that these people's brains, in these incidents, have CONVINCED them that they already dropped off the kid at the daycare, etc, and there's no need for panic.

It's not the same situation, at all... but something could have happened to my son like this. We were on vacation in Key West, and we had driven under the loading/unloading area of the resort we were staying at. At the time, my children were 8, 6, 5, and 1. As I went inside with the baby on my hip to check in, two of my sons followed me. The 6 year did not. My husband was busy unloading and the kids were all excited, etc. My husband said he would take the car, park it, and come back with the luggage. I went on to the condo with the 3 others. My 6 year old is a Daddy's boy, and it's not uncommon for him to stay with my husband.

In the condo, I was trying to get cold things in the fridge, and the kids were running circles into all the bedrooms, opening and closing the bathroom doors, etc. Going wild because they were so excited. I knew the whole time that I just had the three. Then my husband shows up. As we were unloading the luggage he brought, I just assumed the 6 year old already ran in and was running around with his brothers, picking beds. After 5-10 minutes, I asked, "Where's Chandler?" We counted kids, my husband turned white as a sheet, and took off running to the parking lot.

Yep. That's where he was. Sound asleep in the Suburban. My husband assumed he was with me, and I assumed he was with my husband. It was very, very scary. Our kids are our lives. We live and breathe for them! But in the excitement and between "headcounts," we almost had a tragedy. Now, we never, ever part without holding up fingers indicating which number of kids we have with us, even if we know one of us has none.

I pray, for the sake of all involved, this was nothing more than a tragic accident, and sweet Connor's family can start the long process of mourning and healing. :cry:

Yes, in the right circumstances. It's usually when a parent's normal routine is interrupted. People have way too many responsibilities/distractions these days and the human brain is an imperfect machine.

I completely agree. I was a full time stay at home mom, so this would NEVER have happened to me, and never happens to full time moms. NEVER. I'm not saying full time stay at home moms are better people, or more responsible people or whatever.

What I am saying is this is a distracted routine thing. If you always have the kids with you, you NEVER leave them in a hot car accidentally. (Granted, some loser moms PURPOSELY leave their kids in a hot car, full time moms never seem to accidentally leave their kids there). It's a matter of routine. If you always have the kids, you don't forget you have them. You always have them with you.

I had a boss who very nearly baked her child because her normal routine that morning was completely upset by the babysitter in town surprisingly being absent, and when she arrived at work to gather up a few files to take home with her child to work on that day at home, a crisis had occurred at work and she went into crisis mode at work, with her baby in the car in the parking lot.

I hate it when otherwise excellent parents are charged with this crime, of being out of routine and absentminded.

Although this never once happened to me, and never will, I empathize with those who live a different lifestyle, like mine, where responsibility for babies isn't shared among several people on a day to day rotating and somewhat unpredictable basis.

[modsnip] There is far more going on than just forgetting about a child. [modsnip] dad became so agitated when police asked him a few questions in the parking lot that he was handcuffed. The mom has lawyered up and refused to answer questions.

(CNN) -- It was a tragedy from the outset: a toddler found dead apparently after being left alone for hours in a hot car, a distraught father blaming himself and facing serious criminal charges.

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

I can't stomach any of the comments. Not the over-the-top screaming innocent ones OR the "fry him like his kid" ones.

We can sit in the comfort of our homes with live kids and say we would NEVER do such a thing, but it CAN happen, and does to many, many people. People say, "How can he never think about his kid all day?" No one said that he didn't, and studies show that these people's brains, in these incidents, have CONVINCED them that they already dropped off the kid at the daycare, etc, and there's no need for panic.

It's not the same situation, at all... but something could have happened to my son like this. We were on vacation in Key West, and we had driven under the loading/unloading area of the resort we were staying at. At the time, my children were 8, 6, 5, and 1. As I went inside with the baby on my hip to check in, two of my sons followed me. The 6 year did not. My husband was busy unloading and the kids were all excited, etc. My husband said he would take the car, park it, and come back with the luggage. I went on to the condo with the 3 others. My 6 year old is a Daddy's boy, and it's not uncommon for him to stay with my husband.

In the condo, I was trying to get cold things in the fridge, and the kids were running circles into all the bedrooms, opening and closing the bathroom doors, etc. Going wild because they were so excited. I knew the whole time that I just had the three. Then my husband shows up. As we were unloading the luggage he brought, I just assumed the 6 year old already ran in and was running around with his brothers, picking beds. After 5-10 minutes, I asked, "Where's Chandler?" We counted kids, my husband turned white as a sheet, and took off running to the parking lot.

Yep. That's where he was. Sound asleep in the Suburban. My husband assumed he was with me, and I assumed he was with my husband. It was very, very scary. Our kids are our lives. We live and breathe for them! But in the excitement and between "headcounts," we almost had a tragedy. Now, we never, ever part without holding up fingers indicating which number of kids we have with us, even if we know one of us has none.

I pray, for the sake of all involved, this was nothing more than a tragic accident, and sweet Connor's family can start the long process of mourning and healing. :cry:

When my sister was little and when she got angry she would go hide in our family car. One day we were at our grandmothers house and we couldn't find her anywhere. Found her angry and pouring sweat sitting in the car. Apparently she wanted to go home and was mad he family was taking so long to leave. It was over 90 degrees in the summer. Just my story and only experience with something like this. Luckily she was just fine

MOO, a prosecutor or DA would want a pretty good case before charging a grieving father with murder in this situation.

I think they have forensic evidence that the way dad tells it could not be the way it went down.

Curious to see what evidence they've gathered so far.

Me too. So tragic either way, accident or intentional.

CNN spoke with the child’s mother, Leanna Harris, on Friday. Harris says she’s been advised not to discuss the case with the media.

“We have been in communication with the mother throughout the investigation. At this time, I’m not at liberty to discuss her involvement. That’s a part of the case our detectives are working on,” Pierce said.

I've looked for additional info on the mom... but can't find anything. Is she sticking by the dad? Do we know?

I've looked for additional info on the mom... but can't find anything. Is she sticking by the dad? Do we know?

:truce:

15 National Titles at Univ of Alabama. Roll Tide Roll.

We are closed for a few minutes while I catch up. :(

Salem

Okay - I think we are back in business here. Please remember to alert and scroll. Do not engage, just move past it. One of the mods will be here just as soon as we can.

Thanks!

Salem

Started looking this morning for an update to this sad case and found instead another case from last week: in Florida.

Child heat stroke fatalities so far this year

13. June 18, Atlanta. Boy, Cooper Harris, 22 months old.

12. June 16, Rockledge, Fla. Girl, Anna Marie Lillie, 9 months old.

11. June 13, Ardmore, Okla. Boy, 2 months old.

10. June 11, Flint, Texas. Girl, Bella Lindstrom, 4, who got in vehicle on her own.

9. June 8, Sarasota, Fla. Girl, Alejandra Hernandez-Mendoza, 2.

8. June 4, Dolgeville, N.Y. Girl, 15 months old.

7. May 25, Florence, S.C. Boy, 13 months old.

6. May 25, Princeton, Ill. Boy, 5, who got in vehicle on his own.

5. May 12, Clarkston, Ga. Girl, 2, who got in vehicle on her own.

4. May 8, Hartsville, S.C. Girl, Sophia Jane Goyeneche-Gray, 13 months old.

3. April 29, Bakersfield, Calif. Boy, 4, who got in vehicle on his own.

2. April 22, North Richland Hills, Texas. Girl, Aurora Aryana Hollingsworth, 20 months old.

1. April 16, Los Gatos, Calif. Boy, Giovanni Alonzo Hernandez, 9 months old.

I am heartbroken.

You say this can happen and then relate a story where it took you less than 20 minutes to realize you had a kid missing. That's not the same thing as leaving a kid in the car for hours.

I personally do not think there is any excuse for forgetting a baby for HOURS. It's inconceivable to me. And far too often parents who had "close calls" react to these stories with a "there but for the grace of God go I" sympathy.

If the case is investigated and parent is truly considered to have forgotten, they should STILL BE CHARGED IMO because it will save countless other children's lives in the future. If the idea of a dead baby isn't enough to motivate you to pay attention, perhaps the threat of 10 years in prison or another punishment will be enough.

These days almost everyone uses a car seat with their child. I grew up in a time when my parents loaded us into a station wagon and went on road trips with us crawling all over the seats and mom holding the baby in the front.

You never see this any more because you can get a ticket immediately.

You would think that with these stories happening that more people would be more cautious, but quite the opposite is happening, more and more babies are dying horrific torturous deaths of being baked alive in a car. I'm sorry but my sympathies lie with the victim, not the parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme