GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how it's not a "mistake" when parents are poor or minorities

This is beginning to look kind of murky. They handcuffed the dad at the scene while his child lay lifeless on the concrete, and took the dad to the police station.

That seems like an odd over reaction to me - and I wonder if the charges in general are not also the result of an overreaction?

Apparently the autopsy is complete but won't be released right now to the public?

??

This is beginning to look not nearly as clear cut as it did yesterday when it seemed they found an Ah HA thing in his office. He was in handcuffs at the parking lot when the baby's body had not yet been removed.

What caused this immediate rush to judgement of a man who witnesses describe as beside himself with self-accusation and panic?

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2014/06/23/father-charged-felony-murder-heatstroke-death/11262205/

Common sense that it's criminal neglect and child abuse to leave your kid in a car to die?

One last thing about them suffering enough, if I did this I'd want to go to jail to pay for what I did.

He's not being charged with criminal neglect, Chewy.

He's being charged as if he purposely killed his child intentionally and knowingly. You can go back and find the earlier articles that state LE believes this wasn't a case of accidentally leaving the child in the car.

This is beginning to look kind of murky. They handcuffed the dad at the scene while his child lay lifeless on the concrete, and took the dad to the police station.

That seems like an odd over reaction to me - and I wonder if the charges in general are not also the result of an overreaction?

Apparently the autopsy is complete but won't be released right now to the public?

??

This is beginning to look not nearly as clear cut as it did yesterday when it seemed they found an Ah HA thing in his office. He was in handcuffs at the parking lot when the baby's body had not yet been removed.

What caused this immediate rush to judgement of a man who witnesses describe as beside himself with self-accusation and panic?

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2014/06/23/father-charged-felony-murder-heatstroke-death/11262205/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/toddler-car-death-probe/

"Within moments of the first responders getting to the scene and doing their job and questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene, some of those answers were not making sense to the first responders," Pierce of Cobb County Police said.

That's probably why.

snipped
I have an invention that would work. ;D You could put a fob on the car seat that would not allow you to lock the car if there was weight in the car seat. You go to "boop" the car locked and it won't boop. You would have to MANUALLY lock the car by depressing the locking mechanism closest the car seat. That would end this tragic horror. Virtually no one forgets to lock their car - that's something you do every single time so it's rote habit - and if you had to open the car door nearest the baby, you'd see the baby.

respectfully snipped

That is an excellent idea. I think you should consider this even further....as in a wonderful idea to market.

According to Harris’ arrest warrant the temperature in the SUV reached 88 degrees.

But now police have doubts if the child was left in the hot car for several hours like Harris said — though investigators have been tight-lipped about why.

“So they think there is more to this. They are looking at that child for any injuries that may have occurred prior to this death,” criminal defense attorney Holly Hughes said.

http://khon2.com/2014/06/23/georgia-police-investigation-into-death-of-toddler-left-in-a-hot-car/

I wonder if the car computer keeps a record of what temp it was or if that should read the outside temp was 88°?

Things are getting clearer.
Maybe the baby was cool to the touch?
That would rule out hyperthermia. He should have.been hot to the touch with a core temp over 106°
Maybe that is why he was cuffed immediately.
moo

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

still riding the :fence: on this one.

They seem very sure, not at all unclear about why they are choosing to charge murder.

not manslaughter, not negligence homicide, but murder. And they got to that conclusion pretty dog gone quick.

I think physical evidence relating to the condition of the body and some computer forensics are going to make this not at all an accident once all the facts are known.

I have a very strong feeling that whatever evidence has prompted murder charge is very compelling and pretty darn hard to see in another (accidental) light.

MOO

According to Harris’ arrest warrant the temperature in the SUV reached 88 degrees.

But now police have doubts if the child was left in the hot car for several hours like Harris said — though investigators have been tight-lipped about why.

“So they think there is more to this. They are looking at that child for any injuries that may have occurred prior to this death,” criminal defense attorney Holly Hughes said.

http://khon2.com/2014/06/23/georgia-police-investigation-into-death-of-toddler-left-in-a-hot-car/

I wonder if the car computer keeps a record of what temp it was or if that should read the outside temp was 88°?

Things are getting clearer.
Maybe the baby was cool to the touch?
That would rule out hyperthermia. He should have.been hot to the touch with a core temp over 106°
Maybe that is why he was cuffed immediately.
moo

I'm a little confused by that, because in articles I've read it was in the 90's by noon. The temp at the time he supposedly found the child wouldn't matter. It would be the temp inside the car for those hours that would be extremely hot. If it's 90 degrees outside, the temp inside the car would probably be over 150 degrees. Even if it were 75 outside, the temperature would probably be around 100 in the car, if it were in full sun.

ETA: 1716 hours on the arrest warrant is 5:16. They were listing the temperature at the time they were involved. NOT the temperature of the car during the day.

He's not being charged with criminal neglect, Chewy.

He's being charged as if he purposely killed his child intentionally and knowingly. You can go back and find the earlier articles that state LE believes this wasn't a case of accidentally leaving the child in the car.

Reread what you asked, you asked why they would cuff him at the scene

not what they'd eventually charge him with.

I'm a little confused by that, because in articles I've read it was in the 90's by noon. The temp at the time he supposedly found the child wouldn't matter. It would be the temp inside the car for those hours that would be extremely hot. If it's 90 degrees outside, the temp inside the car would probably be over 150 degrees. Even if it were 75 outside, the temperature would probably be around 100 in the car, if it were in full sun.
I have the arrest warrant. It says temp at Dobbins at 17:16 was 88°
bad reporting.

I dont know how to link it.
The warrant is a PDF file.

If you copy this and Google it the warrant will come up.

This is copy of*Warrant*... before*aMagistrate of this Court that*Justin Ross Harris

Wondering if Mr. Harris remembered to take his cell phone out of the car that day.

Autopsy results may answer questions in toddler’s death

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/autopsy-results-may-answer-questions-in-toddlers-d/ngQwF/
When she saw a man pulling his toddler out of the backseat of an SUV, a Cobb County woman said she knew right away something was wrong. The boy wasn’t the right color and didn’t appear to be breathing, the witness told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I knew something was wrong,” Artiyka Eastland, 25, of Smyrna, said Monday afternoon. “I didn’t want to get too close. I was emotional, just from afar.”
Eastland was eating in a restaurant Wednesday afternoon when she went outside, planning to plug her cellphone in inside her car. That’s when she heard the sound of screeching tires and watched helplessly as a man got out of his SUV and frantically tried to revive his 22-month-old son. Others in the busy parking lot also tried to help, but it was too late.

BINGO!

"If you are driving a child, after you put them in a back seat – in a car seat, booster or buckled in with a seat belt – put your left shoe back there too. I bet you will never forget your precious cargo."

http://www.news-press.com/story/new...4/06/20/tell-mel-neverleft-campaign/11102697/

A little higher tech, but manufactures could design a key that you had to take out of the car seat in addition to your ignition or your car wouldn't turn off.

Was toddler who died after father forgot him in hot car actually murdered? Police say his story is riddled with inconsistencies
Police investigating the possibility that Justin Ross Harris, 33, may have intentionally killed his 22-month-old son, Cooper
He was supposed to drop his toddler to daycare around 9 a.m. Wednesday
But instead went straight to work, apparently forgetting the boy was strapped in his car seat in the back of the vehicle
It wasn't until 4 p.m., when he was driving home, that he noticed his son was lifeless in the back seat
Police have said they cannot be sure whether Cooper was even in the car at 9am
The high temperature in Atlanta was 91 degrees Wednesday
He was charged with murder and cruelty to children in the first degree

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ies-case-shocks-conscience.html#ixzz35VI5te66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member