GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess..there is evidence of blunt force trauma or some other rather obvious reason seen by professionals...LE.
IMO
It's more than his behavior after. Or possible poisoning. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that too at first - but I think it was a quick search of the office that resulted in these charges, not findings in an autopsy. As I understand it, the child died of heat exposure and something in the office caused them to believe it was intentional.

You admit this is the first time you've looked into this but presume to lecture everyone in the thread.

The eyeroll was for the "forgetful" parent.

A gallon of milk is not a baby.

Baby deaths happens a lot too when drug addicts and meth heads go off the rails. We don't feel judgmental about prosecuting them even though they had diminished capacity We prosecute them for negligence. We don't feel sympathy for them. We are disgusted by them.

Some of us feel equally disgusted by self involved negligent parents who "forget" babies for hours .

I'm confused as to where I've gone wrong, but I'm not trying to "lecture" anyone. I'm learning and sharing. I mean, isn't that what internet forums are really about? It's really none of any of our business to be discussing, but by human nature we discuss. I'm trying to be compassionate and forgiving.... not at all my nature, but something I'm working on. I'm learning to not say, "That should never happen" or "That will never happen to me." I pray they don't. I try to learn more about them so they don't.

I try to never be a rude or snarky poster. If you ever feel that I am being so, please click the report button, but please know that is never my intent.

I have a feeling there's something on his computer. Maybe he was researching child death in a hot car.

This is what I was thinking

I hope my gut feeling is wrong and this child was gone before being left in a hot car. What a terrible way to pass.

I agree with others there's no excuse. None, zilch for leaving your infant/toddler in ahot car ever.

You can get jail time for killing someone in a car while on a cellphone. Why are these people who leave their children in the car to die a horrible death spared jail time? Why? Because we as a society feel bad for someone who's too busy to get their child out. I mean really!!!! these children are helpless. The one person in charge of protecting them forgot. Forgot they were there. Forgot they were responsible. Forgot forgot forgot. i can't imagine ever forgetting my kids in the car and they were babies when rear facing car seats, cell phones, and rear seat laws were in affect. I just can't understnad being to busy or stressed to remember your child. This is not forgetting a baseball game or doctor's appointment this is forgetting the one person in your life that is not able to protect themselves.

Just sickening.....

I think it's because some people objectify children as "possessions" of the parents rather than individual people. Then the parents are the victims because "their baby died" instead honoring the rights of the baby.

This is an especially horrific way to die, we need to drum that image into parents. Most who forgot them didn't forget them because of some important issue but instead a careless distraction

There is simply no excuse.

When my sister was pregnant with her oldest, she made a statement one day that she was scared she would set the baby down somewhere and forget where she put it. Everybody sort of laughed it off, but she was serious and I knew she was really worried about something like this. She has crazy A.D.D. and I could almost see something like this happening. Thankfully, her youngest is now 2 1/2 and all is well, but I can see how it could happen. Someone like me, who is not so mentally scattered, no. But here's the thing...she loves her babies every bit as much as I love mine and she is a great mom. So I try not to judge the parents too harshly if their child's death (hot car or otherwise) is a true accident. Like someone else said, go ahead and toss them in jail if you want. It won't compare to the mental torture that they will suffer the rest of their lives.

People who do it on purpose, I say get CPS involved immediately and yep, arrest the parent on the spot.

When my sister was pregnant with her oldest, she made a statement one day that she was scared she would set the baby down somewhere and forget where she put it. Everybody sort of laughed it off, but she was serious and I knew she was really worried about something like this. She has crazy A.D.D. and I could almost see something like this happening. Thankfully, her youngest is now 2 1/2 and all is well, but I can see how it could happen. Someone like me, who is not so mentally scattered, no. But here's the thing...she loves her babies every bit as much as I love mine and she is a great mom. So I try not to judge the parents too harshly if their child's death (hot car or otherwise) is a true accident. Like someone else said, go ahead and toss them in jail if you want. It won't compare to the mental torture that they will suffer the rest of their lives.

People who do it on purpose, I say get CPS involved immediately and yep, arrest the parent on the spot.

It would be interesting to do a statistical analysis of who tends to do this. It does (in my opinion) seem to be weighted toward high tech guys. This is an observation and not based on any kind of statistical analysis. Also, in cases I've read the people seem to be kind of more "careful" than average people. In the news stories, the car is clean and late-model, it's locked, the parent seems to be otherwise living a carefully ordered well-planned out lifestyle.

It doesn't seem to happen to people who are otherwise living an edgy life.

In my observation.

It would be interesting to do a statistical analysis of who tends to do this. It does (in my opinion) seem to be weighted toward high tech guys. This is an observation and not based on any kind of statistical analysis. Also, in cases I've read the people seem to be kind of more "careful" than average people. In the news stories, the car is clean and late-model, it's locked, the parent seems to be otherwise living a carefully ordered well-planned out lifestyle.

In my observation.

I don't think I've read of a case where the parents had ADD or some other reasonable explanation. [modsnip]. IMO

It is not excusing anything to acknowledge that the human brain can mess up royally.

There is an instance (I wish I could find the link, I'm looking) where a mom was taking her son to kindergarten for the first time, and prior to this, he and the little baby sister attended the same daycare. On the way to dropping off the baby at daycare after the son was off to kindergarten, the baby fell asleep. Mom started thinking of how she was going to get the baby out of the car and into the playpen without waking her up.

Having decided how she would do so, she began thinking of tasks she had to get done at work. Her brain then believed, because she had already pictured dropping the baby off in her mind, that she had done so. She drove on to work, completely unaware of the sleeping infant in the backseat because she sincerely believed she had dropped the baby off.

No sentence a judge could ever hand down would ever be worse than what that mother has to live with for the rest of her life.

Forgive me if I have sympathy for how she must feel. It doesn't negate the anger and dismay I feel that a life was lost, but I find myself feeling extremely sad for the mother.

I feel awful when little things happen, and I beat myself up forever. I can't imagine what life would be like for me if something happened to my kid because of my own actions.

That aside, I am not convinced that's what happened here. Something is definitely off with THIS particular case.

All, JMO.

In my observation.

My children are both safely past this age, but I could see myself as the type of person this could happen to. More than once I've had to check to make sure they were in the seat because thinking about it, I couldn't tell whether my memory was of what I did today, or yesterday or last week. I'm like that about anything that's part of my daily routine. So that may speak to what you're saying. If you do the exact same thing every single day, your brain may tell you you did it on this particular day, as usual, even if you didn't.

So another 32% have parents who neglect kids long enough to let them wander off, leave the house, access a car, and stay there undetected long enough to die?

Horrifying parents who should be prosecuted.

My children are both safely past this age, but I could see myself as the type of person this could happen to. More than once I've had to check to make sure they were in the seat because thinking about it, I couldn't tell whether my memory was of what I did today, or yesterday or last week. I'm like that about anything that's part of my daily routine. So that may speak to what you're saying. If you do the exact same thing every single day, your brain may tell you you did it on this particular day, as usual, even if you didn't.

Every parent goes through that, and like you check and double check, remember a few minutes later etc. But you never forgot them for hours!

I'm sure it can happen in extremely rare cases, but it happens far too frequently for the numbers to be true accidents IMO, prosecution will create deterrence.

It takes very little time for a child to escape a parent's attention. I am aware now, thanks to this thread, but I probably wouldn't have thought "check inside the locked vehicle" for my 4 yo if she had disappeared.

Thankfully, my child has never been the escaping type, but I know plenty of parents whose children will intentionally disappear at every opportunity. Add in multiple children? I can't even imagine what that's like. Tending to one who is upset or sick, and the little one wanders off.

JMO.

It takes very little for them to escape but HOURS for them to die!

Heat stroke doesn't necessarily take hours to kill. Especially a small child with no way to cool himself down.

The parents in the above article received 2.25 million dollars from the city.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/city-camden-settles-lawsuit-missing-boys-found-dead/story?id=10490774

I'm a little uncomfortable with that. What a horrible, tragic loss, but I don't see how the city is responsible.

I feel like I remember this case though - I'm remembering a case where trunk keys couldn't be located when LE asked for them and so the trunk of a car (containing a child) wasn't searched. Is that the same case?

edited to add: I'm now remembering that was more recent and only involved one child. And in the end, the keys were located inside the trunk with the deceased child who had a long history of liking to play with keys.

The parents in the above article received 2.25 million dollars from the city.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/city-camden-settles-lawsuit-missing-boys-found-dead/story?id=10490774

I agree with this sentiment

"How pathetic. Blaming the police for your own lack of parenting skills. Why didn't they watch their own kids? and why didn't they search the car themselves?"

Like I said earlier bad parents always blame others and get defensive at the idea that they are supposed to be responsible for their children. Instead they make excuses.

Anyway, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with this particular case. [modsnip]. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya