GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me clarify... I was saying that if LE wanted to prosecute this case on the negligence of leaving a child in the car...and even murder...based on an oversight then they may do that...sure. But there is an assertion that some sinister intent was at play. I hope that was clearer.

I don't know why they would do this unless there was evidence that led them to do so.....The internet search, the car smell, his (reported) reactions at the scene. I was ready to sign the petition for him until I started hearing the few details that I mentioned above.

I am just curious - do you know Mr. Harris? Just wondered since you are from B'ham - thought maybe you were at U. Ala. with him or know some of his friends/family.

Well of course maybe not the entire case but I know for a fact family of victims, especially ones not under investigation, are kept in the loop and notified of evidence as it comes up more times than not. The police said they are in contact with her and she has been cooperating. If they are trying to get more on him police are not above telling spouses information in effort to prompt responses that push the case forward. If you think she is only getting her information from Ross I would strongly have to disagree.

I never said I think she is only getting information from him. I'm saying that police aren't going to give her the most important evidence against him.

Well we do know LE will ask the same question like a dozen times in a dozen different ways. jmo

Sure. And, like with the search, he may have denied going to his car. It may even be likely that he denied it. It's just the unequivocal statement of it as a known fact I take issue with (unless I did miss something unequivocal). Imo, something like "based on what LE is saying, it looks like he may have lied about going to his car" would be more accurate at this point, imo. And I don't think it diminishes the point at all. If he lied about going to his car, that's a big deal. Just like if the computer search is in the relevant time frame and/or the car really did stink to high heaven.

waiting....

I have the same vehicle. I could see my nephew (around the same age) in the rear facing seat, which is quite large.

But are you looking for him? Is this from the turning around in the front seat or through tinted windows? Is your nephew in the center and rear facing? Knowing he is there and looking for him is one thing thinking he is at school opening the door and placing something in your front seat and not seeing a child is very different scenario that's why I ask

Bingo!
Toss in that internet search... I'm all the way there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he is clearly guilty of what he is in jail for.

Until we hear more evidence, I don't know if I think he set out that day to kill his son. I DO think he knew his son was there at some point and did nothing. IMO, that search came immediately after or before going to his vehicle.

Something seems off, though. I can't fully believe there wasn't planning here. I don't know why.

I don't know why they would do this unless there was evidence that led them to do so.....The internet search, the car smell, his (reported) reactions at the scene. I was ready to sign the petition for him until I started hearing the few details that I mentioned above.

I am just curious - do you know Mr. Harris? Just wondered since you are from B'ham - thought maybe you were at U. Ala. with him or know some of his friends/family.

I do not know mr. Harris nor do I have any relation with this case other than an interest in how it is being handled by LE and the media.

But are you looking for him? Is this from the turning around in the front seat or through tinted windows? Is your nephew in the center and rear facing? Knowing he is there and looking for him is one thing thinking he is at school opening the door and placing something in your front seat and not seeing a child is very different scenario that's why I ask

It's a very large rear facing Britax. (We moved it to the middle. That is not where it normally is.) Of course, I know he was there! What I did was stood there, where it seems he would be standing, so that I could see if it's possible to even see part of a child. I did not see the whole child, but parts. I know this sounds crazy, but I even made his sit in the different ways he could being buckled in. I could always see parts of him. I am quite short, and he would have an easier time seeing, because he looks very tall and would more likely have to lean inside the car. I stood on a box I was shipping and the perspective of being taller allowed me to see A LOT of him. I could even see him through the tint when approaching the driver's side door. (By the way, the carseat essentially leans against the two front seats. It's not way back there, or out of site. You can be seated and driving and see parts of a child if you look in your mirror. I check to see if my nephew is moving all the time, because he has some lung/breathing issues and has to use a machine. I am SO fearful when he falls asleep.)

As I said earlier, we had left a half banana and apple slices a bit earlier. In the heat, that smell nearly knocked me out opening the door. I can't get past him not smelling anything, even in a second.

ETA: Another thought I've had, is he would have had a bag. Where was that in the car? I am very curious to know if the bag for daycare was in the front passenger seat.

If I understand your reasoning there is no difference in neglect that causes a broken arm or the death of a child...it's just neglect.

To me the poster meant his negligence caused his son to die so he should be charged with that but if it was an accident and not purposeful negligence then he shouldn't be charged with felony murder. In could be wrong but that was my take away...

I think he is clearly guilty of what he is in jail for.

Until we hear more evidence, I don't know if I think he set out that day to kill his son. I DO think he knew his son was there at some point and did nothing. IMO, that search came immediately after or before going to his vehicle.

Something seems off, though. I can't fully believe there wasn't planning here. I don't know why.

I cannot fathom the intent. I just cannot connect the dots in my mind as to how a parent would harm a child...much less subject their child to a torturous death like this one. I know it happens (and I believe it happened in this case), but understanding the intent or the actions is just too much for this mother's brain to process.

IMO it's like having a built in swimming pool...sending your two year old out to play...while you nap....knowing they're prone to jumping in the pool and can't swim. Sinks like a rock.

The child jumps in and drowns....that's all you!

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about if you fall asleep on the couch and the child opens the door, walks out and jumps in the pool. Same charge?

To me the poster meant his negligence caused his son to die so he should be charged with that but if it was an accident and not purposeful negligence then he shouldn't be charged with felony murder. In could be wrong but that was my take away...

What I intended is they may charge him with whatever they like even if it was a genuine mistake on the part of the father. But what they are saying is that it's something more sinister.

I cannot fathom the intent. I just cannot connect the dots in my mind as to how a parent would harm a child...much less subject their child to a torturous death like this one. I know it happens (and I believe it happened in this case), but understanding the intent or the actions is just too much for this mother's brain to process.

I think we've all seen cases where the intent was to murder the child. Sometimes it's through a brutal beating that no one even attempts to cover up, (except after the fact when they claim the child fell off the couch), or whether it's planned in advance as in poisoning deaths.

I don't usually see members of the family surprised. Usually pretty quickly - VERY quickly - the family abandons the person who killed the child. And it's obvious, and everyone knows it.

That's the thing here.

I can't think of a single case where a parent killed a child on purpose, and the family as a whole stood by the person in disbelief. (There must be some. I can't think of any).

If they can come close to intent, then LE is being too easy with Felony Murder. If they have something more sinister, they should proceed with Capital Murder and pursue the death penalty.

What I intended is they may charge him with whatever they like even if it was a genuine mistake on the part of the father. But what they are saying is that it's something more sinister.

Yes, they are intimating they have sinister evidence that has not been released yet to the public.

it has been reported by LE that Cooper was in a rear facing carseat which was placed in the middle of the backseat, neither behind driver nor passenger seat but in the space in between.

So the argument that Harris could not see the child back there because he was behind driver seat does not play in Peoria, and now that the Chick-Fil-A stop is known during which Cooper was removed from the car and then replaced after breakfast, the idea that he "forgot" he had Cooper with him has lost its play as well. You do not forget your kid is in the car when you have mere minutes between those stops.

MOO

If they can come close to intent, then LE is being to easy with Felony Murder. If they have something more sinister, they should proceed with Capital Murder and pursue the death penalty.

I completely agree. If they have evidence that proves intent beyond a reasonable doubt, go for capital murder.

If the harm was accidental, it's likely he wouldn't be charged at all or would be charged with a misdemeanor that would not support a felony-murder charge even if death resulted. Second degree child neglect is a felony and requires criminal negligence to support it. That's why it supports a felony murder charge. jmo

Yes, they are intimating they have sinister evidence that has not been released yet to the public.

Why would they? They have no obligation to present their evidence to the public. They have already stated they will not release evidence unless they feel they need to. In a statement yesterday, they said this won't be played out publicly. That's why I think there are no leaks today. They buckled down and won't let it be that way.

To be clear, they said they believe something more sinister is going on and are investigating to motive. It's been a week and the autopsy was just returned. I have a feeling this will be a slow moving case that requires very deep digging.

We don't know at this point if the wife was in someway involved. I seriously doubt they would be giving her OR her attorney internal info. FWIW. TTTB. :loveyou:

Well they never arrested nor detained her and later released the child's body to her. I would like to think the police wouldn't have missed something and let her leave town had she been involved. What people forget is evidence is not kept a secret until trial. Its shared through out the process. Especially if the DA wants to plea bargain evidence is leverage . Informations gets past around constantly for legal disclosure issues as well. Being he has a court appearance in July I am sure his lawyer has been informed of the evidence used to arrest and hold him.

The couple may have the same attorney as well. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member