GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is being charged with grossly and negligently leaving his son in the car, CAUSING his death. Not trying to argue, I just think there is a big difference, that I think deserves to be specified.

Yes. He's being charged with gross negligence.

That's a far cry from intentional murder, which is what would be an appropriate charge if daycare had called him that morning to inquire why Cooper wasn't there. That's full-on, undeniable intent to murder if he made up some lie to the daycare caller.

I have a question. For those of you who have used "professional" day care (as opposed to a family or friend keeping children in their home) - would it be the usual procedure that if you did not show up with your child at the expected time - they would call either parent to check on why they are not there?

I never used day care but I still feel this is an important part of this case and I'm sure LE has interviewed the Day Care workers.

Assuming they called the father he must have given some excuse - even if it was at that moment that he realized, "OMG - the baby is still in the car".

TIA for any input on this......

I was just going to ask if there had been anything in press reports about the day care provider.

I just asked my daughter about this - she worked in a day care when she was in high school. She said parents were supposed to call in if their child was not coming in on a scheduled day. If the child didn't show up, the day care would call -- not so much to check on the child but to find out whether or not the child would be there that day - if they knew the child wasn't coming in, they'd know they had an extra slot available to "sell" if another family called and wanted to bring their child in.

Yep..........as many us knew had to be the case.............and common sense would indicate, too, IMO, that it wouldn't have been smelling all that fresh at noon either..........less of a smell obviously but there had to have been one.

And this major smell when first responders arrived means that Daddy dearest must have smelled this when getting into car at 4pm.........yet he drives elsewhere and makes like JUST found child deceased?

Wonder if some of the vomit on poor little one was Dad's vomit, from the smell and sight when trying to get him out of the car seat.

Also, that car likely STUNK at noon when he "placed an object in it" and "didn't see" Cooper. A medical expert stated that Cooper would have been dead with an hour at those temperatures. A dead body in a sweltering car for even one hour would reek.

This is one of the sickest crimes I have ever read about. And common sense demands that a Father MAY forget his child in a car but It sounds a lot like murder when you have:

1. Dad forgetting his baby immediately after sitting down and eating breakfast with him.
2. Dad GOING BACK to the car at noon and inexplicably NOT noticing him or a smell.
3. Dad searching for " how long it takes for animal to die in a hot car"

4. Dad not parking in his usual parking spot that day. ( a co-worker's observation)

5. Dad screaming and claiming that child was choking after driving to a parking lot in a STINKING CAR, ON PURPOSE, to have witnesses that he could act bereaved in front of, and apparently it did not seem genuine.

It could be a coverup after realizing he forgot him in the car, but I honestly do not think so.

I believe that any parent that loved their child and made a tragic mistake would have called 911 after "checking the car at noon" I am leaning toward the premeditated murderer of his own child. He checked the car to make sure that child was dead.

NOTHING can convince me that there was zero smell in that car at noon. That is just ludicrous. He may have even made the internet search AFTER doing that to get information and facts straight in his head when talking to police. To control the situation upon his staged "discovery".

He reminds me SO much of Casey Anthony in his insincere "off behavior" at the scene and his obvious planning and cruel, torturous, murder of his child. And yeah, his poor planning and excuses that are FULL of holes. His horrible acting. And his outright lying.

Just truly disgusting. And most likely a Psychopath.

moo.

I have a question. For those of you who have used "professional" day care (as opposed to a family or friend keeping children in their home) - would it be the usual procedure that if you did not show up with your child at the expected time - they would call either parent to check on why they are not there?

I never used day care but I still feel this is an important part of this case and I'm sure LE has interviewed the Day Care workers.

Assuming they called the father he must have given some excuse - even if it was at that moment that he realized, "OMG - the baby is still in the car".

My son previously attended Kindercare, and they did call me when he was late one day (long running dentist appointment) -we were about two hours later than normal.
They are located inside of a Chicago-area office building with hundreds of offices as well.

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

Also, that car likely STUNK at noon when he placed an object in it and "didn't see" Cooper. A medical expert stated that it would Cooper would have been dead with an hour at those temperatures. A dead body in a sweltering car for even one hour would reek.

This is one of the sickest crimes I have ever read about. And common sense demands that a Father MAY forget his child in a car but It sounds a lot like murder when you have:

1. Dad forgetting his baby immediately after sitting down and eating breakfast with him.
2. Not after GOING BACK to the car at noon and inexplicably NOT noticing him or a smell.
3. And not after searching for " how long it takes for animal to die in a hot car"

4. Dad not parking in his usual parking spot, in a lot where it is shaded, but instead out in the open sun after conveniently "forgetting " his baby.

5. Not after telling LE that his child was choking after driving to a parking lot in a STINKING CAR ON PURPOSE to have witnesses that he could act in front of.

It could be a coverup after realizing he forgot him in the car, but I honestly do not think so.

Any parent that loved their child and made a tragic mistake would have called 911 after "checking the car at noon" I am leaning toward him being premeditated murderer of his own child. He checked the car to make sure that child was dead.

He reminds me SO much of Casey Anthony in his insincere "off behavior" at the scene and his obvious planning and cruel, torturous, murder of his child. And yeah, his poor planning and excuses that are FULL of holes.

Just truly disgusting.

moo.

BBM. I've never heard that before! Did you read that somewhere?

Because people frequently defend family members or others against accusations of heinous crimes against children doesn't mean that's what's happening in THIS case. Certainly not ok to state, definitively, that "the dude killed his child." If that's qualified with the criminal negligence standard, then yes, MAYBE, he caused the death of his child in a criminally negligent way. The difference between cold blooded pre-meditated child killer and possibly extremely negligent otherwise loving parent is important to me. jmo

Um.... beg to differ...
The dude (Cooper's Dad) is the ONLY person responsible for Cooper's death. Therefore, The dude killed his child.
If he had dropped him over a cliff by accident or backed over him with the car, had fed him peanut butter that caused an allergic reaction, had rolled over on him as he slept, or any other accident for which he was clearly and solely at fault, the dude killed his child.

Yes, I used professional day care from 3-4.5 YO. Yes, every child was accounted for (just like regular school). I called them, or they called me. However, as someone pointed out, this was probably one of the first things LE ruled out. If he gave an excuse - he's toast. Or, they called and left a message (that happened to me too, and I called back later). Or, they didn't call at all. Trust me, we would probably know by now if he gave a false excuse -- just like the computer search. The information would have been in the warrant (or whatever it's called).

It will come out eventually, IMHO.

Thanks,

Mel

Yes. He's being charged with gross negligence.

That's a far cry from intentional murder, which is what would be an appropriate charge if daycare had called him that morning to inquire why Cooper wasn't there. That's full-on, undeniable intent to murder if he made up some lie to the daycare caller.

It's a far cry from a helpless accident, as well.

I just want this little boy to be honored, and I don't feel that way when we call it a simple accident, and the current charges don't support that. I'm not picking on you, but I really think it's important.

Also, that car likely STUNK at noon when he placed an object in it and "didn't see" Cooper. A medical expert stated that it would Cooper would have been dead with an hour at those temperatures. A dead body in a sweltering car for even one hour would reek.

2. Dad GOING BACK to the car at noon and inexplicably NOT noticing him or a smell.
3. Dad searching for " how long it takes for animal to die in a hot car"

4. Dad not parking in his usual parking spot, in a lot where it is shaded, but instead out in the open sun after conveniently "forgetting " his baby.

5. Not after telling LE that his child was choking after driving to a parking lot in a STINKING CAR ON PURPOSE to have witnesses that he could act in front of.

It could be a coverup after realizing he forgot him in the car, but I honestly do not think so. The timing of the internet search will tell more.

But I believe that any parent that loved their child and made a tragic mistake would have called 911 after "checking the car at noon" I am leaning toward him being premeditated murderer of his own child. He checked the car to make sure that child was dead. NOTHING can convince me that there was zero smell in that car at noon.

He reminds me SO much of Casey Anthony in his insincere "off behavior" at the scene and his obvious planning and cruel, torturous, murder of his child. And yeah, his poor planning and excuses that are FULL of holes.

Just truly disgusting. And most likely a Psychopath.

moo.
So true, and not only did she murder her child, but she also drove around in a car that reeked of the smell of her dead child too...

Yes, I used professional day care from 3-4.5 YO. Yes, every child was accounted for (just like regular school). I called them, or they called me. However, as someone pointed out, this was probably one of the first things LE ruled out. If he gave an excuse - he's toast. Or, they called and left a message (that happened to me too, and I called back later). Or, they didn't call at all. Trust me, we would probably know by now if he gave a false excuse -- just like the computer search. The information would have been in the warrant (or whatever it's called).

It will come out eventually, IMHO.

Thanks,

Mel

Not necessarily. LE knows SWs are released publicly. Sometimes they don't list all the known info or evidence and hold it close to their vest. It's likely they know far more information than what is listed on the SW. And they aren't releasing any info and saying no comment on all details. It's possible a call was made by the daycare.

It's a far cry from a helpless accident, as well.

I just want this little boy to be honored, and I don't feel that way when we call it a simple accident, and the current charges don't support that. I'm not picking on you, but I really think it's important.

My whole point in this line of discussion, is it seems extremely far-fetched to me to think the daycare called and Harris lied about why Cooper wasn't there that day. There are a lot of things that can be speculated on, and might/might not be true - but I'm sure LE quickly interviewed the daycare and determined that no notification to the dad was made that day to alert him that Cooper hadn't arrived.

It's inconceivable to me that his family would be standing by him if that were the case.

Once questions like that enter a forum discussion, within a couple days they become "well, I read somewhere that the daycare called the dad that morning".

WSB TV just stated that Harris' computers both from his home and office contain incriminating evidence.

That is why they are refusing to download images of Cooper to give to the family.
If there is incriminating evidence on the home computer I have to say life may not have been how people thought it was behind closed doors.
moo

This is from a post below; doesn't reference incriminating evidence just that it is evidence in ongoing investigation.

"The family is trying to obtain pictures from the family's laptop that was seized as a part of the investigation into Cooper's father Justin Ross Harris."

"Cobb County Police say they aren't allowing that because the laptop is being used as evidence in the on-going criminal investigation into Ross Harris."

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/25887...ptops-pictures

there would not be 'gurgling' sounds. also, did you read that CPR was performed? because, from what I have read it was VERY OBVIOUS the child was very very very expired when law enforcement showed up.(snip)
Yes. The witnesses interviewed said that the father began to do CPR and first responders took over. Makes NO sense to me, but that is what is being reported.
im a mother with a very very stressful life where i have been on my own with her more than not. not once in her 10yrs have i ever FORGOT her existence anywhere. (snip)
Likewise. My daughter is 22 and I have never forgotten she existed, or left her alone anywhere by accident. By all accounts, this was a WANTED child, a child they tried hard for some time to conceive. A child they appeared to love. AN ONLY CHILD. I can see someone pulling a "Home Alone" move if they have a dozen kids to keep track of, but this just doesn't add up.

So true, and not only did she murder her child, but she also drove around in a car that reeked of the smell of her dead child too...

I see very little similarities to the Casey Anthony other than a child passed way to young as a result of their parents. Kinda ends there for me

My whole point in this line of discussion, is it seems extremely far-fetched to me to think the daycare called and Harris lied about why Cooper wasn't there that day. There are a lot of things that can be speculated on, and might/might not be true - but I'm sure LE quickly interviewed the daycare and determined that no notification to the dad was made that day to alert him that Cooper hadn't arrived.

It's inconceivable to me that his family would be standing by him if that were the case.

Once questions like that enter a forum discussion, within a couple days they become "well, I read somewhere that the daycare called the dad that morning".
You can't say one way or the other on this point because we do not have the answers yet. LE may well know that the Home Depot daycare called, they just haven't told us! Then again, because it is a corporate daycare, maybe it's drop in, and they don't have regular clientele like a small, independent operator would.

This is from a post below; doesn't reference incriminating evidence just that it is evidence in ongoing investigation.

"The family is trying to obtain pictures from the family's laptop that was seized as a part of the investigation into Cooper's father Justin Ross Harris."

"Cobb County Police say they aren't allowing that because the laptop is being used as evidence in the on-going criminal investigation into Ross Harris."

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/25887...ptops-pictures

Sad. I'm sure someone in the family wants to create a slideshow for tomorrow's funeral.

Personally the thing I'm waiting to hear about is the dynamic and status of the marriage. If the marriage was troubled this case would make a lot more sense.

You can't say one way or the other on this point because we do not have the answers yet. LE may well know that the Home Depot daycare called, they just haven't told us! Then again, because it is a corporate daycare, maybe it's drop in, and they don't have regular clientele like a small, independent operator would.

Do you think that if they had that evidence - and it would be QUICK to get - just a quick scroll through the recent phone calls - that they would have downgraded the expected charge from one that calls for intent to murder to one that calls for gross negligence?

Although we can't know what LE has, we can see they're aren't preparing to defend an accusation of intentional murder.

Which certainly, a call from daycare in the morning alerting him that his child never got dropped off would support.

My understanding is that the Judge presiding didn't have the authority/jurisdiction to change or set bail. So LE and a Magistrate agreed at the beginning and now it's postponed until the July hearing.

Right and the way I understand it if the judge in July so chooses he can release him on bond at that's time.

BBM. I've never heard that before! Did you read that somewhere?

Here. Very early on in the original thread about this case, from another poster. I believe that it was an observation from a coworker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member