GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin Ross Harris, 33, of Marietta, Georgia, is in custody on a controversial murder charge after leaving Cooper to die in hot car when drove to work, parked up and 'forgot' about toddler in back of car
Cobb County does not allow pre-trial inmates special dispensation for the visits on compassionate grounds
It will anger the 11,000 who have signed petition calling for all charges against him to be dropped
It came as police revealed he had done web search on animals dying in hot cars days before
Witnesses claim he 'acted oddly' and said Cooper was choking when he stopped his car
It also emerged he put something in the car at lunchtime while Cooper was in there

The father charged with murder after his toddler son died after he left him in his scorching hot car has been barred from attending his son’s funeral, it was revealed today.
Justin Ross Harris, 33, won’t be allowed to attend a planned service for 22-month-old Cooper in his home town of Tuscaloosa, Alabama on Saturday.
In many states, inmates are granted a temporary leave of absence – or furlough – on compassionate grounds to attend funerals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...takes-animals-die-hot-cars.html#ixzz35mrV71oQ

:wave: hello to all our guests.

As you can see, we don't always agree and sometimes things get heated, but WS is a pretty safe venue to express your opinions, even those that diverge from the majority.

Consider Joining and give us your :twocents:

So, are the charges faced by the father capital offenses? My brief research indicated no, but I'm not familiar with Georgia law. If not, what punishment does he face if found guilty on all counts?

Atlanta is not Cobb County.

Further, If a police dog dies in a car, it is usually when a cop has to leave the car for job related purposes. If they have to attend to their job without the dog, there isn't much choice there.

With that said, I don't condone dogs dying in cars. However, Cooper's circumstances are egregious, and grossly criminal and negligent at the hands of his FATHER. A cop isn't out there commuting a felony in the process of a dog dying under VERY suspect circumstance. IMO, it's apples to oranges.
I wasn't comparing the two. I wonder if he said something knowing about the computer searches... It was conjecture.

Atlanta is Fulton County, Harris was arrested by Cobb County police.
The two dogs on my mind were from Woodstock Ga, Cherokee County and somewhere in South Ga.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/justice/georgia-dead-k9/

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/georgia-humane-society-calls-for-investigation-int/nSPHn/

Justin Ross Harris, 33, of Marietta, Georgia, is in custody on a controversial murder charge after leaving Cooper to die in hot car when drove to work, parked up and 'forgot' about toddler in back of car
Cobb County does not allow pre-trial inmates special dispensation for the visits on compassionate grounds
It will anger the 11,000 who have signed petition calling for all charges against him to be dropped
It came as police revealed he had done web search on animals dying in hot cars days before
Witnesses claim he 'acted oddly' and said Cooper was choking when he stopped his car
It also emerged he put something in the car at lunchtime while Cooper was in there

The father charged with murder after his toddler son died after he left him in his scorching hot car has been barred from attending his son’s funeral, it was revealed today.
Justin Ross Harris, 33, won’t be allowed to attend a planned service for 22-month-old Cooper in his home town of Tuscaloosa, Alabama on Saturday.
In many states, inmates are granted a temporary leave of absence – or furlough – on compassionate grounds to attend funerals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...takes-animals-die-hot-cars.html#ixzz35mrV71oQ

Saying he was "barred" makes it sound like his family didn't want him there. His request for a leave to go was turned down is more my understanding.

If her intent was to grab files and leave quickly when she got out of her car, then SHE KNEW HER BABY WAS IN THAT CAR when she left it. She didn't "forget" about the baby until after she got inside. It is illegal and morally reprehensible to KNOWINGLY leave an infant alone in a car, even if it is locked....even if it is "just for 5 minutes."

I know you intended for this cautionary tale about your beloved mentor to engender sympathy, but I find this woman repugnant and lacking in priorities. Take 30 seconds to unbuckle your baby and take him with you, for Christ's sake! Is that so hard? What a selfish woman! You would have been better off claiming that she thought she dropped her baby off because of the "extra stop" or "unexpected change in routine" that supporters of this dad keep spouting off about.

Sadly it seems many parents today take better care of their iPhone than their sweet innocent child. :(

Mom picks up from daycare normally
This is where I'm confused. Supposedly mom always picked up around 2:30pm. If this was the case that day, she would have shown at the daycare and Cooper would not of been there. Frantic calls would have ensued. If that day Josh was in charge but it wasn't normally his routine, it seems she would of touched base with him during the day as a reminder.

So, are the charges faced by the father capital offenses? My brief research indicated no, but I'm not familiar with Georgia law. If not, what punishment does he face if found guilty on all counts?

One report cited 30 years of found guilty.

Saying he was "barred" makes it sound like his family didn't want him there. His request for a leave to go was turned down is more my understanding.

the article made it pretty clear to me that he was barred because the law does not allow for compassionate visits or outings for any inmate pre-trial. Not sure how it suggests the family does not want him at the funeral as several sentences on either side of the barred sentence outline this was due to law and not at request of any family member?

This is where I'm confused. Supposedly mom always picked up around 2:30pm. If this was the case that day, she would have shown at the daycare and Cooper would not of been there. Frantic calls would have ensued. If that day Josh was in charge but it wasn't normally his routine, it seems she would of touched base with him during the day as a reminder.

Do you have a link where you read that Mom usually picked up Cooper around 2:30? Thanks!

I'm way behind, trying to catch up but needed to comment on this. BBM

I can't believe there are still people that think because friends, family, or neighbors think someone is a good person, great parent, wonderful family man, etc....means they aren't capable of something horrific.

If anyone is being honest with themselves, what is the most prominent thing we hear from people wrt people who commit murder, even serial killers?

**He/she was such a nice guy/gal, I can't believe it**

**He/she was a great neighbor, always helpful, and loved playing with the kids**

**I'm in shock. I never thought 'insertnamehere" would do something like this**

Every. Single. Case.

By the way, Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy were both pillars of their community, and described as pleasant, kind, nice, generous and NORMAL.

Until they weren't.

Thank you for this post, JLSChook! ITA. You took the words right out of my mouth. The Thanks button isn't enough. :tyou:

For personal reasons, this subject is a pet peeve of mine...it irks me to no end!!! Every time I hear somebody say that about a perp/suspect, I cringe. And, yes, it's said in every single case. It never ceases to amaze me that people will blindly defend someone because he/she is nice...ok, so they're nice, AND? What's that go to do with anything? What do the facts and evidence say about this "nice" person? That's all I care about.

I love my husband, he's a good, loving man, a great husband and father, but I would NEVER blindly defend him (or any family, friend, neighbor, co-worker) without knowing the facts and evidence first...and if the evidence was against him (them), I could not and would not support them. Period. At the end of the day, IMO, we never really know another person or what goes on in their mind.

Ok, :rant: over, lol.

I am so confused by this post can you please elaborate? I don't see a connection between breakfast and this situation for nutritional reasons even if the mom works in nutrition...
If her career is nutrition, I believe she was very attentive to what the baby was fed.
Taking him and feeding him a good healthy breakfast (being responsible for the child's last meal- like he was headed to death row) if this was preplanned... would have been an eff u to the mom.
imo
maybe not.

Did someone say Tangerine yet?

Boy we got the whole bowl of fruit going on in this conversation.

has anyone ever found video of the presser in its entirety? I was curious about someone mentioning the heard the information officer stating that there was a very distinct and overwhelming smell in teh vehicle on their arrival.

I appreciate all who paraphrased what they heard in the presser but I really would love to hear it first hand and really give it some attention, pulling exact quote to relevant issues being discussed.

Thanks
In
Advance

to any who has located a link. I have not found it, hoping it will show up on youtube eventually.

Bingo!
Toss in that internet search... I'm all the way there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, don't forget, the choking story he told when he pulled into the parking lot and pulled the baby out of the carseat - but the child was stiff in the sitting position indicating he had been deceased for a while.

I can't find a link regarding who normally picked up and dropped off period but it's cumbersome to search on my phone. If anyone has it handy, would you mind posting? Ty

In your experience (I ask because it certainly isn't in mine) is it typical for a prosecutor to charge someone with a crime if "they believe something more sinister is at work and are looking for a motive"?

During the early stages of an investigation, have you ever seen where a person has been charged with the maximum that they believe they might possibly find - based on an appearance of something being basically "hinky feeling"?

I'm still just in shock with how this has proceeded.

Looks like a Nifong job, actually. Predatory prosecution. Charging him, releasing some very damning appearing (that's appearing) information to the public with no real details and then having him sit in jail with no bail during this baby's funeral.

I can't get this bad taste out of my mouth for how this has proceeded.

you and me both. as god-awful as this case is, the handling of it before a rabid public is truly stunning to me.

Did someone say Tangerine yet?

Boy we got the whole bowl of fruit going on in this conversation.

has anyone ever found video of the presser in its entirety? I was curious about someone mentioning the heard the information officer stating that there was a very distinct and overwhelming smell in teh vehicle on their arrival.

I appreciate all who paraphrased what they heard in the presser but I really would love to hear it first hand and really give it some attention, pulling exact quote to relevant issues being discussed.

Thanks
In
Advance

to any who has located a link. I have not found it, hoping it will show up on youtube eventually.
I'm not sure if there's a link to this but it was on our local news station on the 6pm news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member