GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a bond hearing for July 15. I thought I remembered an evidentiary hearing July 3m but I can't seem to find info on that now.

Vinnie P. said July 3rd, that's the only time I heard it. That's Vinnie's last day on HLN:tantrum:

I see. This is totally my own suspicion, but I think they will find motive in one of the classic motives. Money, sex, etc. At least, I hope. I DO think they will find motive and raise the charges, though. There could be more warrants even. They are just over a week in. There is a long way to go in combing through all this.

I totally agree.

It was one of those disturbing things that popped into my head...

I had really hoped the child had been killed quickly at home and this was the cover-up. Buttt noooo
We have to think about the suffering and fear and confusion that poor baby went through.

It's just awful....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I really can't find that July 3rd hearing. I think I might have made that up...lol!

No you didn't. I posted comments from an article by a defense attorney about the July 3 hearing. He was saying to expect much more info to come out during that hearing.

I totally agree.

It was one of those disturbing things that popped into my head...

I had really hoped the child had been killed quickly at home and this was the cover-up. Buttt noooo
We have to think about the suffering and fear and confusion that poor baby went through.

It's just awful....

Brutal, it's just brutal. Evil.
I am very curious how much of the family will remain behind him after today.

Oh my dear God.

I hope he wasn't producing child *advertiser censored*, viewing child *advertiser censored*, and didn't sexually assault his son....

Sorry but what did I miss? They did an autopsy.

Is there evidence of sexual assault?

If he were "into" child *advertiser censored* he would have killed the golden goose (so to speak).

I'm pleased that the warrants were released today: The continuing conversation about how police "denied it" or "refuted the rumor" - should cease. It doesn't get more "verified" than a search warrant.

I wonder the impetus for his statement regarding his web searches? Why admit to the searches before they found them? I'm curious if it's because, as an IT professional, he knew they'd find it eventually...or if he thought that admitting it would reinforce the "I was scared of the boogeyman, and then he got me".

In my opinion, the chances of performing that web search and then having that very web search (child death car etc) play into your life coincidentally - well, the chances are about par with the boogeyman.

Imo, naturally.

edit: I'm commenting on his statement to police, which was quoted off the search warrant. Link upthread.)

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

the first thing that came to my mind was if an insurance policy was taken out on this poor baby.

Sorry but what did I miss? They did an autopsy.

Is there evidence of sexual assault?

If here were "into" child *advertiser censored* he would have killed the golden goose (so to speak).

No no no

I am so so sorry ...

It was just a fear I had ...

I'm pleased that the warrants were released today: The continuing conversation about how police "denied it" or "refuted the rumor" - should cease. It doesn't get more "verified" than a search warrant.

I wonder the impetus for his statement regarding his web searches? Why admit to the searches before they found them? I'm curious if it's because, as an IT professional, he knew they'd find it eventually...or if he thought that admitting it would reinforce the "I was scared of the boogeyman, and then he got me".

In my opinion, the chances of performing that web search and then having that very web search (child death car etc) play into your life coincidentally - well, the chances are about par with the boogeyman.

Imo, naturally.

edit: I'm commenting on his statement to police, which was quoted off the search warrant. Link upthread.)

IMO, it's tell them before they find it. It happens a lot. Criminals are "helpful" as to appear innocent.

Right! Cooper was old enough to walk so it's not like he had to carry the heavy car seat across the parking lot. Also, it would give his coworkers a chance to see his adorable son.

That just hit me! :doh:

the poor little guy was old enought to be walking on his own!

I don't know if that has anything to do with this case... Just hit me for some reason...

:baby:

Imo, naturally.

What do you think about the timing of the release? The day of Cooper's funeral.

Journalists very often overhear things and publish them without verifying them. There is very little done to a journalist who makes a statement. And his butt is covered by saying "someone at the scene told me X" because this isn't an actual quote but just repeating information. It's very rare for the someone to sue or go after someone who published the wrong information.

The reporters just segue into the new information like "Breaking news now reveals that previous reports of the father looking up information on the computer were not true.'"

Consider the young Arabic boy who was accused of being the Boston Marathon bomber. Tons of good reporters splashed that teenagers picture all over the news accusing him of being a terrorist. NOTHING was done to them.

When it comes down to taking the risk by "getting the scoop first" the reporters ALWAYS take the risk. Then they act like they had nothing to do with the rumor

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hs-track-star-speaks-didn-article-1.1320766

Hi friend! I just want to point out that your example does not show reporters not doing their job, not fact checking or bungling a tip. They have no reason to apologize because they correctly reported that LE was seeking that young man for questioning. It's just not an example of the media getting it wrong. It actually confirms that the media do their job pretty well and can get us info not officially released, but real. Like here.

There had to be a reason why this father was charged more harshly than any other parent in the history of the US, for unknowingly leaving a child in a hot car all day. Now we know.

During an interview with Justin, He stated that he recently researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur. Justin stated that he was fearful that this could happen.

premeditated murder........................................?

Yes. It seems they believe it was premeditated but don't yet have all the evidence they need for that charge. So they charged him with the next, best thing.

Just clarifying a few things:

There will be no "time of death" in any report form the ME. SOP=The time of death is the moment the Forensic investigator first touches the body (Source=In depth study of the ME office for other reasons) The ME can testify at trial that, in his opinion, Time of Death is consistent with the time stated by police of between 9:30 am and Noon, or something similar.

Odds are: 25:1 that the autopsy was conducted by the Cobb ME - who has SERIOUS problems with credibility and qualifications. There will be a vote by the Cobb Board of Commissioners in July/August to fire him. (One commissioner will vote to keep him, one is leaning toward voting to keep him, three are undecided, and will likely follow the advice of the County Manager.) So, the ME could be testifying after having been fired, and will likely be strongly challenged by defense attorney. Odds that he was on vacation, and the autopsy was done by a qualified ME - 1:25.

more:
cobbme.com

Odds that the "Forensic Investigator" was trained and qualified - zero (Source- personal research including viewing personnel files, County audit)

Mike Bowman and Dana Pierce-
Both are "Public Information Officers" and neither has any legal reason to know more about the case than any beat cop before getting in front the press. It sometimes helps if they DONT know about the case they are talking about. They are spokesmen, not detectives.(at least when they are acting in that role)

What did Harris do after he was booked and placed in jail:

He did not speak at all. He laid down, with his face turned to the wall, and slept fitfully. He was lethargic and disoriented. (Source a friend of mine that works in the sheriff's office who only saw him for the first 4 hours he was there.)

What exactly was in the preliminary ME report?
There is no report. The Cause and Manner of death were never released and will not be until toxicology is back. The POLICE released a statement saying that they had spoken to the ME, and that he said that the cause was hyperthermia, and that the manner was consistent with homicide. The only statement from the OCME was that the autopsy was complete and that the autopsy report will be released when it is completed after toxicology is returned. Time frame: 10 weeks if they sent it the GBI, 3 weeks if the ME paid extra to have a private lab do the work.

Quality of work from the Cobb County CAP:
Homicide unit - Mixed bag. There are some that are experienced and good, there are others that have no attention to detail.
At their best: 4 suspects with one victim and they successfully got statements and evidence to charge all 4 (This happened twice!)
At their worst: Child dies after abuse and they "forget" to interview the father. They sit on the case, and 8 weeks later the child's brother is also murdered by his parents

Crime Analysis, and High Tech squad: Well above average, very qualified.

Crime Scene Unit: Poor, sloppy and outdated tactics

Crimes against Children: Below average

(Source - personal review of personnel files, budgets and news articles)

Oh boy. Not great news.

I would say it constitutes premonition, not premeditation. The fact that he volunteered this information up, freely -

I'm amazed at how many people do seem to "sense" ahead of time a disaster. He knows his brain and he knows he's forgetful.

I think this is no more than an eery sense of foreboding. People sense danger. He knew he was able to forget like this.

Respectfully, are you sure? Or is it possible we sometimes search hard for something to support our "side"? Because yesterday was all about how the reporter got it wrong and this dad likely never searched. And now it's like, "Well, he must have had a premonition."

I kind of don't think anyone truly really believes that's an excuse or explains away the damning evidence that this man was researching how to kill a baby in a hot car, before he did just that.

In pondering this, I wonder how many hundreds - thousands - of parents out there are right now saying oh God, I could do that. That could happen to me.

I hope they are researching ways to prevent this - the best I've seen so far is to put your phone or one shoe back with the child. That would work.

If a premonition that leads to actual research isn't enough....

someone was supposed to pick Cooper up at daycare, either mom or dad.

If it was mom then why were alarms not sounded at whatever time she was meant to do so and found him NOT there?

If it was dad then why do these reports about the contents of the warrant state he was leaving work and heading to meet up with friends after? That does not suggest a man in charge of picking up his son at the end of the work day. MOO A man whose day includes picking up child from daycare would not be leaving his job and heading off to meet friends. His itinerary would include picking the child off and delivering him home prior to those plans IMO

at around 1620 hrs when he was driving to meet up with some friends.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/crime/2014/06/28/justin-ross-harris-child-hot-car-death/11609645/

Harris’s son, Cooper, was left in the car from 9:30 a.m. to 4:20 p.m., the warrant says, when his father discovered he was dead while driving to meet friends.

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/25362411-Warrant-Father-searched-Internet-for-child-car-death

Maybe she got off at 5.

One question please.....is the thought about researching dogs/animals dying in hot cars the one that was a myth? Is that because they are now saying he researched children in hot cars???????

Is that why it was denied from LE because it was not what he searched? Thanks if anyone knows.

It wast actually denied. The officer's actual words never denied it. The people.com article worded it in such a way as to suggest the info was crazy. Now we know it's not.

The end result was the same.

According to what I read re another case recently, it takes a long time to die from chloroform during which a person struggles and if they survive, can remember what happened. So although Caylee wasn't baked to death, like baby Cooper, she did suffer and like you said, she also died.

I will never understand the evil of parents like these.

Btw, I wonder if there was a life insurance policy on Cooper.

IMO, it's tell them before they find it. It happens a lot. Criminals are "helpful" as to appear innocent.

Yeah and that is just plain STUPID on the part of the criminals. If they kept their mouth SHUT regarding internet searches it would come down to "prove no one else accessed the computer, prove it must have been this individual" etc....

We have the right to remain silent, but very few criminals have the ability.

I did note that he spent less than 7 hrs at work that day.

yes that has puzzled me, what are his normal working hours. I was thinking since he is in IT and worked on the HD website that perhaps IT personnel might have to have work hours that would involve someone always being available or there to support the web side of the business. It is possible that he and others in his area worked a part of a weekend day in order to provide the type of technical support needed and therefore their weekdays were not 8 hour days but with lunch break factored in were more like 5 hour work days with an additional day making up that seeming shortfall.

Just SPECULATION no links

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/28/justice/georgia-toddler-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"During an interview with Justin, he stated that he recently researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur," according to a sworn statement in the warrant from a police officer. "Justin stated that he was fearful that this could happen."

This is in addition to the previous search on his work computer about animal related car deaths.

The link also mentions about opening the drivers side door:

"During his lunch break, he returned to his car, opening the driver's side door to put something inside, police said."

What do you think about the timing of the release? The day of Cooper's funeral.

I'm not familiar with the release of search warrants - insofar as time frame - but I did note that, per the article listed upthread, the father never formally requested furlough for the funeral services.

Interesting, that. I've seen - first-hand - prisoners in county jail (Cook County, Chicago) receive furlough for funeral services. Yes, it's in handcuffs. Yes, you have Sheriff deputies alongside you. But, you get to attend.
I am surprised he didn't apply for it: It's not about the parent's embarrassment at being in custody...it's about that final respect/goodbye that's owed to the baby.

JMO

This part sticks out to me, "He then began doing CPR on the child. When someone came to assist Justin he stopped providing medical attention to the child and started making calls on his cell phone."

He just abandons his son and starts calling people. Who? They say calls. What was he doing leaving his son to someone else to make multiple calls? And why does he have someone else call 911, of he HAS his phone? Those calls were more important than 911? Who the heck was he calling...gah...I want to know!! It seems the call to the wife was a bit later, because EMS was there and such. So who did he call before?

Yes I thought the same. It was actually an employee that called for the emergency services.

“The car drove up right by the store. An employee came in and said, ‘Call for an ambulance,’ so I dialed it and I walked outside,” said Rodney Smith.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/06/26/justin-ross-harris-cooper-search-animal-hot-car-die

Also makes me wonder if there will be a call on his phone to the daycare to say his son wouldn't be attending because he is poorly or some other excuse, so that they wouldn't call home? (if that's the procedure they have if a child doesn't attend)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali