GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long to die:

Investigators say the mother of a 22 month old who died after being left in a hot vehicle admitted she researched how long it would take for a child to die after being left in a car just days before the incident happened.

Leanna Harris told authorities she only looked into the subject because she was afraid it could happen one day.

This is the first time I've seen the time until death factor. All other reports have mentioned the temperature as a factor. Time as a factor is associated with the wife's research. This just makes me more and more disturbed. Was this a sick experiment?

http://www.alabamas13.com/story/259...-georgia-mother-of-cooper-harris-22-month-old

This is getting disturbing. So temperature and time were searched.

CNN this morning was implying she is being investigated as well, but I couldn't find any news articles that state this clearly. Perhaps they're waiting on the electronics to see just what exactly was searched and by whom. Given this case, I wouldn't be surprised if she too arrested eventually.

I find it telling that neither one said, I heard about a case on the news and wanted to search ways to prevent such deaths or something like that. But no, they searched temperature and time. Seems very damning to me!

Since he offered up the info about the searches early on, that tells me he made no effort to hide them. I really think that he thought it would be seen as an accident, and that is why there were so many mistakes made. Ross must be used to people not questioning him. I also wonder why he chose this coverup, instead of say, making Cooper disappear and claiming he was abducted. I think it is possible he thought a missing child case would garner a much bigger investigation than a hot car accident, he possibly saw how much scrutiny parents who claim their child was abducted receive, etc. There are so many things he did that will help to put him away that he didn't have to do. He didn't have to research hot car deaths, he didn't have to go to Chik-Fil-A, or go to his car at lunch, or drive a few miles before discovering Cooper.

If he killed Cooper because he thought he was doing him a favor and he would be better off in Heaven, would he be less likely to put a lot of thought and effort into the coverup?

anxious to see the warrant pertaining to mom and the others.

We saw warrant numbers ending 0596, 0597, 0598 and 0599 which means there are still a number of warrants out there that press has seen but we have not. They have been focused on the ones in which probable cause involves dad's admission about searches. Which makes me wonder if the others list some sort of additional or other probable cause items that the press does not find salacious enough.

for those who want to refresh memory of the warrants we have seen the link to the docs is here: http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/06/28/merged_document.pdf

am thinking at least one of the warrants requests records from the phone Ross was using while allegedly making calls as his child lay dead on the pavement and people tried to render aid.

How long to die:

Investigators say the mother of a 22 month old who died after being left in a hot vehicle admitted she researched how long it would take for a child to die after being left in a car just days before the incident happened.

Leanna Harris told authorities she only looked into the subject because she was afraid it could happen one day.

This is the first time I've seen the time until death factor. All other reports have mentioned the temperature as a factor. Time as a factor is associated with the wife's research. This just makes me more and more disturbed. Was this a sick experiment?

http://www.alabamas13.com/story/259...-georgia-mother-of-cooper-harris-22-month-old

"Just days before" :eek:

Since he offered up the info about the searches early on, that tells me he made no effort to hide them. I really think that he thought it would be seen as an accident, and that is why there were so many mistakes made.

I think you are right, he isn't used to people questioning him. When one considers all of the bizarre support at the funeral, if that was "his world" and what he was accustomed too he may have thought "his word" would just be taken at face value since "everyone he knows tells him he is such a great guy".

Oops! I'm sorry. I thought you meant intent to kill. Nevertheless, intent is not always necessary to all crimes. For example, some states hold a parent criminally negligent if they get super high or drunk and forget their kid in a hot car. What do you think? No intent to harm so should they walk free?

Hmmm. Well, I will say that I don't think a person should be eligible for the death penalty if there was literally no intent to harm or intent to commit a crime in their action.

There are varying degrees of culpability in the law when it comes to intent. And that goes all the way from slightly poor judgement, horribly poor judgement, to full on intent to cause harm or death. It's a gradient.

As I read this case and these charges, it looks to me, that these charges that include the death penalty could be assessed to someone who had no intent whatsoever to do any harm at all and absolutely no intent to commit a crime and no chance at "poor judgement" as they had made no judgements at all.

So. This discussion is bigger than this one case. My point is, that in a situation where it's very clear to ALL involved that a parent literally forgot their child in the back seat of the car, they could lawfully be charged the way Harris is being charged, and they could lawfully receive the death penalty although all involved - prosecutor, defense, LE, judge, jury all agree the person literally had forgotten the child until the child had passed away.

I am really uncomfortable with that.

So as an analogy, imagine a parent getting out of the car to get their child, closing their door, coming around to the child's door and falling and bumping their heads. Lying there unconscious for 15 minutes and then rousing in a completely confused way, wandering in to work being disoriented and meanwhile the poor child expires in the car.

No one in this discussion would fault that parent, IMHO. I think it would be a very very rare person who wouldn't empathize and give that parent a pass. Why? Because everyone believes it. They believe that parent could have lost that memory through a concussion.

So is that the nitty gritty of it here? Those who are willing to be empathetic believe it could happen that Harris forgot this baby, and the others frankly just don't believe anyone could forget in his situation?

I think that's it. I would love to hear what people say who have very harsh feelings toward him. Do you simply NOT BELIEVE it's possible to forget a child in that situation, and so no amount of family support, friends support, a squeaky clean past, no evidence whatsoever from anyone anywhere that he was unhappy as a dad will get you past that core believe that it's simply impossible - unlike the head injured person - for Harris to have forgotten.

(An aside, I wake myself up naturally in the morning at any time I want to, even at the crack of dawn, I have a perfect internal alarm clock. I don't use an alarm clock and never have. So I always have little patience with people who "oversleep" and miss things. Because somewhere in my mind I'm faulting them for doing it on purpose. I never do it. Why do these people need technology of an alarm or someone to come remind them to wake up? Same thing to me. I get forgetting something out of routine, I don't get people who can't remember to wake up.)

Anyway, Gitana, interesting question.

This is exactly WHY all these cases need to be prosecuted. There is just too much emotional bias connected to the evaluation of evidence. It's the same, as I said, with a toddler drowning in a pool. These are horrific ways for a child to die, especially abandoned at the hands of a parent.

And frankly, anyone who has lost a child has shared that it is a devastating experience. IMO the "sympathy" we extend to the parent who forgets their child is simply a resistance to dealing with it ourselves.

If I forgot my kid in a car and I was charged with negligence I'd get up and say GUILTY. I'd want to be punished. Saying no punishment could be worse than losing a child would only BE a punishment for a parent that actually cared about their child. As I've stated before, there are plenty of parents who don't care about their children at all. Every day on this site we see stories about parents who deliberately kill their children. Whatever their reason, they don't care about their child as an individual human being.

As a society we have an obligation to speak on behalf of the victims and to seek justice on behalf of the victim. The more that we DON'T prosecute every single parent that does this, the more we create a safety zone for parents who want to be rid of their children.

Even if someone goes to trial there's a big chance that people will still try to make excuses for the PARENT instead of remembering the rights of a victim.

Babies and toddlers are completely at the mercy of their caregivers. And again, if a school bus driver left a child in the back of a school bus all day parents would want justice. If a babysitter forgot a baby in the car we would prosecute. That's because these people have a legal expectation of responsibility, remembering the child and being diligent and careful with the child.

I'd also like to point out how many "Fathers" seem to be doing this lately. There's automatic slack cut to the dad because fathers are not expected to be as hands on with the child.

It's very strange to me that the two most recent cases in the news involve fathers connected in some way to law enforcement. IOW something that may have come up in conversation at work etc. and they realized they can get away with murder.

What's really weird to me now is how the father is now being viewed as a victim of circumstance. I'll ask this question, would you have the same level of sympathy for the father if he left your own child in the back of the car the child died?

To me the intent is shown in the internet searches. If he really was thinking that this could possibly happen, the idea of a random trip to a car on the hottest day in two weeks, opening the door and getting unnerved by the hot temperature. Imagining your worst fear coming true. It would creep anyone out enough to just LOOK at the back seat of the car.

The father was at the car three times, from two different sides of the car, a week after "having a bad feeling about this." and not once did he even LOOK towards the backseat?? I do not believe it.

This bothers me too. The level of confusion with this happening, he's being arrested on the spot, pushed to complete the call by the police, emotionally (supposedly devastated) Why not call her pastor or a friend to go sit with her and give her the information. Why?

Wouldn't she be totally confused by what he was telling her on the phone? It would be a completely confusing phone call if she didn't know what was going on. :waitasec:

Just jumping off your post...

I, too, am wondering where mom was when she received the call regarding the death of her son...

I would imagine someone somehow in the process would have thought about the dangers to herself and others that could exist if she were in a vulnerable location... (In a car driving, etc.)

and... Since MSM has now reported that mom is under scrutiny of LE... I hope it is okay to ask the following questions...

what was the chain of events of the mom during the alarming phone call... And what were her actions afterward?

I do know she was taken in for questioning at LE.... But what time did that occur?

All... JMO

Since he offered up the info about the searches early on, that tells me he made no effort to hide them. I really think that he thought it would be seen as an accident, and that is why there were so many mistakes made. Ross must be used to people not questioning him. I also wonder why he chose this coverup, instead of say, making Cooper disappear and claiming he was abducted. I think it is possible he thought a missing child case would garner a much bigger investigation than a hot car accident, he possibly saw how much scrutiny parents who claim their child was abducted receive, etc. There are so many things he did that will help to put him away that he didn't have to do. He didn't have to research hot car deaths, he didn't have to go to Chik-Fil-A, or go to his car at lunch, or drive a few miles before discovering Cooper.

If he killed Cooper because he thought he was doing him a favor and he would be better off in Heaven, would he be less likely to put a lot of thought and effort into the coverup?

Sadly, there are a lot of parents who are insane and they do that - often in post partum psychosis - but in those cases they literally make no effort to cover it up. They don't just do a poor job covering it up, they make no effort and willingly say that God told them to do it or I was ruining them so they're better off in heaven. That mindset provides them perfect justification that they are doing the right thing. Sad.

Just thinking out of the box here. Which door did he open on the driver's side? Does it say the "drivers" door explicitly? Or just..."on the drivers side? "

When I want to put something in my car, I don't put it on my seat. I put it in the back behind me...or on the front passenger seat. Could they have him on tape opening the back door on the drivers side?

The warrant makes it pretty clear it was the driver's door.

am thinking at least one of the warrants requests records from the phone Ross was using while allegedly making calls as his child lay dead on the pavement and people tried to render aid.

I agree:twocents: I also wonder how her "computer searches" statement will play out in the warrant (in other words did they see his call history and then get a warrant to interview her or did it happen some other way?)

it could also be that they used her statement to get a warrant to search his work computer? I sure wish they could release the hard copies. It is all very confusing at this point. Surly much more will come out at the P-cause hearing on thursday as they will have to show enough to hold him over for trial for the outstanding charges (but not too much to tip their hand to the defense before the discovery process starts). In my experience p-cause hearings are bare bones but in terms of the total case but offer much more than what we know before the p-cause hearing (if that made sense at all! LOL)

I think you are right, he isn't used to people questioning him. When one considers all of the bizarre support at the funeral, if that was "his world" and what he was accustomed too he may have thought "his word" would just be taken at face value since "everyone he knows tells him he is such a great guy".

I agree, other posters have also used the term "perfect crime" here. He may have been thinking that who could blame a poor grieving father who just made a most gruesome discovery for a simple mistake. IMO this did not play out like it did in his premonition. I am sure he was in shock and nothing he googled could have prepared him for what he saw, and that is when the mistakes started happening.

It makes no sense to me. His child had been sitting in a hot car for 7 hours, which reeked of decomp/vomit/feces/goodness knows, and he thinks the child is alive enough to CHOKE? How is that in any way possible?

I don't believe he is that stupid! But, maybe he should be given an IQ test.
It seems common sense is no longer common.

To me it seems cut and dried. GA law states if a death occurs during commission of the felony charge of child neglect/cruelty you are guilty of murder. So those debating whether there was premeditation or not are chasing their tales (JMO)

For those who feel like those charges are not appropriate their problem is with the law as written. If you don't like the laws and GA is your state, work to change them.

Not snark. It just seems to me that most people who object to the prosecution of this case have a problem with the GA law as written. Unless they want to argue that you can be unaware of the dangerous neglectful situation leaving your child in a hot car for 7 hours can cause. But the research admitted to by both parents will perfectly illustrate that these parents were extremely AWARE of those dangers. And yet that is what happened.

To be blunt, Cooper baked in that car, like a turkey in an oven all day. The child was literally slow cooked. I don't know how much more cruel or neglectful that could be.

Yes I do, two trips to the car, the one during lunch and the one after work. I just do not see how anyone can feel that a reasonable person would not have become aware of the child even if they believe (as I don't) that he did not know in the morning on leaving Cooper there.

MOO this man has been charged appropriately to the laws in the state he resides.

As to the charges being reduced. The magistrate told the DA and the investigators on the 1st degree child neglect/cruelty that they were;t quite there yet. They had plenty of evidence to charge him and continue investigating but they weren't quite there with 1st degree. This does not preclude them later bumping that charge up although I don't know why they would. The burden of proof is lesser on the 2nd degree charge and the sentence is the same (death or life). I see no "hard On" for Ross by LE. I see investigators shocked at the level of neglect it takes to leave a child to roast in your car all day after having researched that very "accident" because you feared it could happen and then visited your car twice during that day but claim not to have known your child was in it.

Again, all of this is JMO but the charges are completely appropriate for this crime.

I completely agree with your statement. Georgia isn't my state, but I am very surprised to be learning a state in the US can sentence a person to the death penalty when they believe the person had no intent to do harm. I know 100% of the posters remaining in this thread believe Harris to be guilty of intent, so I'm not talking about that specifically.

Is there no one else who is surprised or dismayed that a person could be executed for a crime they didn't realize or didn't intent to commit?

Perhaps, but the specific language in the first SW is troublesome. While it is semantics at this point, "child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur," is not the same as simply googling child deaths in hot vehicles for preventative purposes. The same can be said for the SW released today, "hot-car deaths and how it occurs" Kind of overly specific when a simple search of news stories would tell you more than you needed to know in order to avoid making the same mistake. IMO

IMO, there is NO innocent reason that 2 parents of a child who was left to cook to death in a vehicle, were previously searching around online for info on child deaths in hot vehicles and how it occurs/what temps needed. What innocent parent searches out the specifics? All you need to know is that you do NOT leave your child in a vehicle unattended, period.......

Very incriminating info for both, IMO........and now maybe I can better understand her devout support of and continued devotion to her husband.....and the reasons are not good ones. IMO.

This is going back to posts on the thread that closed and discussion from yesterday afternoon. Thank you Delta Dawn, a Marietta local who described the exact parking situation of lots and no decks at the building where RH worked. I went out for the rest of the day but caught up last night. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member