GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly wonder about JRH's state of mind today after that humiliation in court yesterday.......he's planning revenge I would think

“Knowledge of a crime isn’t prosecutable. A cover-up is,” said Panitch

"In Georgia, the spousal privilege shielding a wife from testifying against her husband, and vice-versa, doesn’t apply in cases of domestic violence or death of a child."

“She needs to make a deal before the state finds more evidence against her,” Panitch said.

8upunyqu.jpg

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/focus-shifts-to-mother-of-cobb-toddler-as-investig/ngZCF/

Why on Earth would he call the daycare? Did he encourage the workers in Toddler Room 5 to lie about something when LE would eventually question them?
Did he tell them to lie to his wife when she arrived to pick up Cooper? Was one of the workers a "girlfriend"?

He called his wife first. So the presumption would be that, since he knew she would be going to the daycare, he'd try to reach her there when she didn't answer her cell. jmo

Probably part of the plan- use the old, too small carseat that's rear-facing. Easier to "not see/forget" the boy because it's rear-facing and he could buckle him in tighter.

EXACTLY! poor baby, strapped in, legs cramped, hot, crying, throwing up, SMH

Everyone knows that you shouldn't leave your child in a hot car. When we hear about another case in the news, we feel sad. Then it's on to the next bit of news.

I hate driving. I would rather take the bus or ride a bike because drivers are insane. They often are barely conscious when they drive, barely aware of their surroundings, let alone the presence of a child.

How many times do I see a person IMMEDIATELY start dialing their phone when they're first driving out of a parking lot? I see many, many people TEXTING on their cell phones while behind the wheel... and this is the traffic rolling through an intersection while I'm waiting at the red light.

It should be harder to get a driver's license, and easier to lose one. People take driving for granted. They do everything they can to be distracted from being in the moment, from the act of driving.

It never surprises me when someone leaves their child in a car to die. People are very self-absorbed, and oblivious to other life when they drive here in America. On the other hand, it surprised me to hear the rest of the Ross Harris story (as we know so far).

la_cavalière;10703504 said:
Hmmm... that's a tough one for me. If it was truly an accident, I would say no. I don't think prosecuting parents for tragic accidents is effective, and besides, their grief is enough of a punishment. Instead, we need to come up with solutions to prevent hot car deaths.

When I was living in St. Louis, there was a terrible case of a husband whose baby girl, Sophie, died after he accidentally left her in the car while he went to work at Washington University. His wife worked as a pediatrician there, in fact, and blames herself for not reminding her husband to take Sophie to the day care. In this case, it was considered a tragic accident, and the couple received much sympathy, although some wanted them prosecuted for child endangerment. I couldn't imagine punishing these parents more - they were already suffering immensely. There is now a prevention program named in Sophie's honor called "Sophie's Kiss."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_65da8eb2-e818-5c92-9dfc-483b5f4cae7d.html

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_65da8eb2-e818-5c92-9dfc-483b5f4cae7d.html

"Statistics collected by Kids And Cars suggest more than half — 54 percent — of the 717 recorded child vehicular heatstroke deaths from the early 1990s through 2013 were caused by parents forgetting their child was in the back of the car."

I just wanted to say - I am in full agreement with you that in cases of truly unintentionally forgotten children, charges should not be brought, IMO. There is no intention, no real negligence, and putting someone in jail would not be either a deterrent or justice - if anything, is be in favor of a community service type sentence - lecturing on the topic of kids and cars, helping an organization in some way, etc.

I am in favor of negligence/endangerment/even up to manslaughter type charges when a parent leaves a child in the car to shop or gamble or party or whatever.

So I am not unsympathetic to parents who make a true error - their brains simply make a connection of memory that did not actually happen. They are typically devastated (for an example, I believe the 911 call in Bryce Balfour's case is available, in which you can hear his mom Lyn screaming in between tryin to give him rescue breaths). But this case absolutely stands out to me as completely different from either a true lapse of memory and a case of negligently leaving a child without intending to murder (where parent leaves kid to shop or whatever). There are too many pieces of circumstantial evidence, taken together, that point to a completely different scenario of premeditation here.

respect to you for stating your very minority opinion well, though! :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hear LH now: (at the trial)

I'm doing this for you (meaning her husband)

from your link:

"A prosecutor insisted that the testimony helped portray the defendant’s state of mind and spoke to the negligence angle and helped establish motive, as his wife told police she and Harris were having “intimacy problems,” according to the detective.
Ross wasn't having intimacy problems from 9:30am-3:00pm
I think the ole boy was spent by the time he got home.

He was strapped in very tightly so obviously he was in a car seat.

So when people here have been saying their kids get out of the seat it is because they wiggle out and not because they can undo the latch?

It's like the hubby who can only get off to hookers or *advertiser censored*, but cannot get it up for his wife, no matter how young or beautiful. They're deviant. They only crave "dirty", forbidden sex.

Yes, that is more or less the stereotypical view of conservatives.

I am pro-choice and pro-death penalty.

The ultimate pragmatist position, I have always thought of it! :crazy:

Pro-abort and anti-DP here. i hate the idea of the state exercising control over bodies or life/death - even for criminals.

Though I gotta say - this case really tests my anti-dp stance. I would almost abandon my beliefs to lock this MFer in a hot car myself. :furious:

That's how my ex was... he was on the blue pill because he had "issues". Then I found out why. Most sex addicts need help in that area.

I understand your viewpoint and, not long ago, I probably would have agreed. This case has really caused me to reevaluate my position on this.

Everyone knows that you shouldn't leave your child in a hot car. When we hear about another case in the news, we feel sad. Then it's on to the next bit of news.

Until Cooper's death, I never really thought about how painful and agonizing a death this is. I don't think that most of those parents who tragically forgot their children in the car had ever been told what physically happens to a child who dies due to heatstroke.

I think there needs to be greater public awareness of the agony that these helpless babies endure when left in a hot car. There need to be countless PSAs on our TV and radio stations, especially in the summer. Pediatricians need to educate parents and should be required to discuss it with parents and hand out informative and graphic pamphlets. It should be burned into your brain that leaving your child in a hot car equals slow, painful, agonizing torture that ends in death.

And, finally, there need to be consequences. Sometimes an attentive, loving parent gets distracted and their child dies. Sometimes wonderful people drink too much just once and commit vehicular homicide. Both are tragic accidents, but someone's dead and there should be consequences.

I'm not saying lock them up and throw away the key in every instance. I'm just saying that more public awareness along the lines of what has been accomplished via MADD and aggressive prosecution of DUIs, could greatly reduce fatalities. As a society, we are more aware and vigilant concerning the risks involved with drinking and driving. I believe we owe it to our children to be no less vigilant every time we strap a child into a car seat.

I have made a window decal that I contacted vista print about making. In September, when I get back to work (I'm a teacher) I am going to work with them about getting some decals made that raise awareness to checking that backseat. I'm going to put one in my van window, and I am going to hand them out to all my friends and all the members of my church, all my coworkers, etc. It's going to be pricy, but it's worth it. It goes with them everywhere they drive, out of state, etc. People will see it behind cars at stoplights, stopsigns, in parking lots etc.

Hi all, I've been reading these as a guest and have decided to join. I'm totally new to sleuthing, but am totally involved in this case on another internet location. I watched the hearing yesterday but apparently missed this---did they say that Cooper, a 22 month old, was strapped in to the infant level of the car seat?--Meaning the harnass

A harness is for kids well past infant level. But he was in what is called an infant car seat however they are meant to accommodate kids up til at least 2 now.

I ave a friend who is fairly recently divorced from a sex addict. They tried therapy and everything. He simply couldn't do it with a real woman. It had to be a woman on the other end of the computer/phone, or *advertiser censored*. I wonder how common this is in those situations. (I'm not suggesting sex addiction is an excuse for anything, to be clear.)

So when people here have been saying their kids get out of the seat it is because they wiggle out and not because they can undo the latch?

I know my kid and the kiddos I watch, cannot unlatch their 5 point harness seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member