GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made a window decal that I contacted vista print about making. In September, when I get back to work (I'm a teacher) I am going to work with them about getting some decals made that raise awareness to checking that backseat. I'm going to put one in my van window, and I am going to hand them out to all my friends and all the members of my church, all my coworkers, etc. It's going to be pricy, but it's worth it. It goes with them everywhere they drive, out of state, etc. People will see it behind cars at stoplights, stopsigns, in parking lots etc.
Good thinking.
Where my grandmother lived,
At the assisted living home, the residents had to put a magnet on the outside of their door every morning to signal they had woken up and were ok.
Same thing at night it had to be removed by a certain time and brought back inside. The nursing assistants went on patrol twice a day and if someone had forgotten to put it out or take it in, they were checked on, visual and vitals.

Something like that might not be a bad idea.
Like "If you are reading this there is a child in this car"
A suction cup kinda thing...
I dunno.
We need to be doing a Lot more than we are.

38 a year is 38 too many.
We don't forget our pants when we walk out the door.

(I do forget my cell a lot)
but I don't use it in my car. I am just running to the store and everyone else will beat me calling 911 if I am in a wreck.
Half the time I can't even find it in my purse!
I only use it for tapatalk and Facebook.

Don't forget that when LE asked her if she wanted to see Cooper she said, "No." She instead asked to see her husband

When you look at all her actions and everything she said....

It's one ugly frightening picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your viewpoint and, not long ago, I probably would have agreed. This case has really caused me to reevaluate my position on this.

Everyone knows that you shouldn't leave your child in a hot car. When we hear about another case in the news, we feel sad. Then it's on to the next bit of news.

Until Cooper's death, I never really thought about how painful and agonizing a death this is. I don't think that most of those parents who tragically forgot their children in the car had ever been told what physically happens to a child who dies due to heatstroke.

I think there needs to be greater public awareness of the agony that these helpless babies endure when left in a hot car. There need to be countless PSAs on our TV and radio stations, especially in the summer. Pediatricians need to educate parents and should be required to discuss it with parents and hand out informative and graphic pamphlets. It should be burned into your brain that leaving your child in a hot car equals slow, painful, agonizing torture that ends in death.

And, finally, there need to be consequences. Sometimes an attentive, loving parent gets distracted and their child dies. Sometimes wonderful people drink too much just once and commit vehicular homicide. Both are tragic accidents, but someone's dead and there should be consequences.

I'm not saying lock them up and throw away the key in every instance. I'm just saying that more public awareness along the lines of what has been accomplished via MADD and aggressive prosecution of DUIs, could greatly reduce fatalities. As a society, we are more aware and vigilant concerning the risks involved with drinking and driving. I believe we owe it to our children to be no less vigilant every time we strap a child into a car seat.

I can see your viewpoint as well. But how far should it go? What about a child who drowns in a swimming pool when his parent runs to answer a phone, or is poisoned when she gets into something in a cabinet, or falls off a cliff at a hiking trail, or is attacked by a dog, or gets hit by a car, or dies in an accidental fire? You could argue that all of these situations involve some level of negligence. Yet I don't see how prosecuting these parents will help reduce these accidents. The best parents can make mistakes. We need more education.

Really? gah!
I have a question about the friends and the movie.
I was interrupted when it was being discussed. Weren't plans made that same day? Can someone point me to what was said or give a synopsis?
I am thinking Ross placed them in that theater so they would NOT come to the scene or end up finding out.
Wouldn't most people turn teir phone on silent or off during a movie.

also, I guess it's just me. If I am supposed to meet you for a movie, and you call to say you will be late, even if there is another person attending I am probably going to suggest we cancel.
I might go ahead and go but, it seemed so last min..
what say you?

About the daycare, I think it was a female there. He may have asked her to hide evidence or go to his office? Begged her to throw her cell away or maybe grab a camera or something from his office.
SIM cards?
Was a camera on the search warrant?
We know he had one or two.
moo

good points!!!!

I think it was ditch your phone and oh yah get to my desk now and ....(fill in the blank)

Is there a reason why Stoddard sounds like a 15 year old girl in this testimony? "and leanna is like ... and she's like . . . and they're like. . . and she's like"... omg, they all "were like" :facepalm:

STODDARD: She did. Once she walked into the daycare, she walked into Cooper's classroom, where she ran into michelle. And she asked, you know, what are you doing here? And Leanna is like, "i'm here to pick up Cooper." And they're like, "Ross never dropped Cooper off." And she's like -- just got really calm. And she's like, well, i don't know what to do. They walked back out into the lobby and, in front of several witnesses, all of a sudden she states, "Ross must have left him in the car." And they're like, what? There's no other -- no other reason -- no other explanation, excuse me. "Ross must have left him in the car." And they tried to console her. And they're like, "No, you know, there's a thousand reasons. He could have taken him to lunch or something. We don't know yet." And she's like no.

Is there a reason why Stoddard sounds like a 15 year old girl in this testimony? "and leanna is like ... and she's like . . . and they're like. . . and she's like"... omg, they all "were like" :facepalm:

STODDARD: She did. Once she walked into the daycare, she walked into Cooper's classroom, where she ran into michelle. And she asked, you know, what are you doing here? And Leanna is like, "i'm here to pick up Cooper." And they're like, "Ross never dropped Cooper off." And she's like -- just got really calm. And she's like, well, i don't know what to do. They walked back out into the lobby and, in front of several witnesses, all of a sudden she states, "Ross must have left him in the car." And they're like, what? There's no other -- no other reason -- no other explanation, excuse me. "Ross must have left him in the car." And they tried to console her. And they're like, "No, you know, there's a thousand reasons. He could have taken him to lunch or something. We don't know yet." And she's like no.

I actually think he did a fantastic job on the stand, and this is something very, very small to nitpick about. Saying like won't cause a jury to question his credibility, because he is clearly credible and ethical. This is a bit petty, considering the amount of work LE has clearly put into keeping this monster behind bars.

Using "like" is a non issue in that hearing, this investigations, and future court dates. JMO

OT rant...I wonder if this sort of death occurred back in the 40's-80's, when car were big, but people concentrated on driving, not talking on the ^#%##*# phone, or trying to do one million things at a time. Not saying this was the issue here...but people are so distracted, even when operating a two-ton machine at high speeds with their children inside, even knowing car accidents are among the leading causes of death for children. In the state I live in, texting while driving was JUST ruled illegal this week...with a $25 fine. It is so ridiculous that this even has to be a law. I guess I just get tired of hearing about how stressful life is these days...my mom had eight kids and worked and nothing was left undone, but she was not racing around like a crazy person. Somehow, life was lived before phones, gadgets etc.
Anyway...jmo

He didn't pull backwards into the space. He pulled backward into a space between two cars then forward into a space with a car on one side and a grass area on the other (not sure if the exact word was grass, but point being that it wasn't between two cars). I just reviewed that this morning.

Are we talking about the parking at Work ? Or is your scenario when he pulled in pizza place .

TIA if someone can do summary on both to help me get it

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I just got done with RH reddit. I know I am behind and this was probably already posted but this thread moves so fast I can't keep up. Just a couple things I found interesting.

"You're going to see a beautiful girl you met and have several interests with. You met on the internet, big ****ing deal. It's only weird to older people because the internet wasn't available to meet people when they were growing up. To me, it's just another means of communication that is widely available."

"My girlfriend of 3 years dumped me because her parents didn't think i was going anywhere in life. I can't wait to call them when I'm promoted to VP of a Fortune 50 company"

Did I miss anything today?

I spent the day in the emergency room.... my sweet girl has mononucleosis. :(

It's been a long day, and as I have rocked and loved on her 103 degree body, held her for bloodwork and an IV, and wiped fearful tears away, I just cannot fathom ever doing anything purposely to harm my own child. It goes against every.single.strand of my DNA.

I just don't get it.

I actually think he did a fantastic job on the stand, and this is something very, very small to nitpick about. Saying like won't cause a jury to question his credibility, because he is clearly credible and ethical. This is a bit petty, considering the amount of work LE has clearly put into keeping this monster behind bars.

Using "like" is a non issue in that hearing, this investigations, and future court dates. JMO

Just an observation. Hoping the case won't turn on how many times Stoddard says "like" lol Wanna bet he says it less next time, though ;)

I just got done with RH reddit. I know I am behind and this was probably already posted but this thread moves so fast I can't keep up. Just a couple things I found interesting.

"You're going to see a beautiful girl you met and have several interests with. You met on the internet, big ****ing deal. It's only weird to older people because the internet wasn't available to meet people when they were growing up. To me, it's just another means of communication that is widely available."

"My girlfriend of 3 years dumped me because her parents didn't think i was going anywhere in life. I can't wait to call them when I'm promoted to VP of a Fortune 50 company"

Speaking of "going nowhere in life" - what does everyone else think of his many career changes (sports "official", dispatcher, web guy)? Isn't this type of constant/frequent career switching symptomatic of something? I seem to remember other well known killers Like Ted Bundy, doing the career switching thing as well.

Let's suppose at one time JRH and LH were happy and loved their child and would never ever do this intentionally. When did that time cease to exist? When was the alleged affair? Was it the catalyst? At what point did he openly start not caring about his son? Surely there were signs well before this horrific murder occurred. What led him to start sexting with minors? The only thing I can think of is LH probably paid less attention to him after Cooper was born. My husband had a very hard time adapting to not being the center of my universe when our son was born and really did not do much with him until he was past the toddler stage; but he always loved him. Our son can be difficult because he and I both have severe ADHD and I also have PTSD which lowers my tolerance of his hyperactivity even more, even with us both on meds. My husband has untreated PTSD and ADD. Our house can be completely chaotic. Add 4 Pugs and it's like a mad house. As angry and screaming as I can be, or my husband, we would NEVER in a million years hurt our son. He is the one element of my life that keeps me alive and sane. Without having had him I'm fairly certain I would have long passed the 38th parallel from crazy over to psychotic and would probably never have made it to this forum as a member, but instead as a subject of discussion. I am completely serious. I am not fooled. IME (family) NPD and Sociopaths can have affection for someone until it no longer suits them. I can spot master manipulators and narcissists from a mile away even though sometimes my developed conscience tries to give them benefit of the doubt and I struggle with trusting my intuition.

I'm with Linda on this one. I think LH is very much involved. I also think that she may have inadvertently planted the idea in his head and as things got worse in their marriage he became apathetic and no longer cared about his family. Maybe she gave him the idea that if Cooper were gone he would once again become the center of her world. She clearly acts as if this is the case. I'd say she is equally guilty of neglect and murder. MOO

Two words come to mind ..Andrea Sneiderman...also an Atlanta case

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

la_cavalière;10703775 said:
I can see your viewpoint as well. But how far should it go? What about a child who drowns in a swimming pool when his parent runs to answer a phone, or is poisoned when she gets into something in a cabinet, or falls off a cliff at a hiking trail, or is attacked by a dog, or gets hit by a car, or dies in an accidental fire? You could argue that all of these situations involve some level of negligence. Yet I don't see how prosecuting these parents will help reduce these accidents. The best parents can make mistakes. We need more education.

I disagree with everything above.

A child should be a parents number one priority, not answering the phone, hiking where they could fall off a cliff, not left alone with the family dog or any other, crossing streets by themselves, not sailing across an ocean in a sailboat...

When you bring children into this world, adopt them, or in any other capacity are their guardian, nanny, babysitter etc... You you are solely responsible for them.

All IMO

OT rant...I wonder if this sort of death occurred back in the 40's-80's, when car were big, but people concentrated on driving, not talking on the ^#%##*# phone, or trying to do one million things at a time. Not saying this was the issue here...but people are so distracted, even when operating a two-ton machine at high speeds with their children inside, even knowing car accidents are among the leading causes of death for children. In the state I live in, texting while driving was JUST ruled illegal this week...with a $25 fine. It is so ridiculous that this even has to be a law. I guess I just get tired of hearing about how stressful life is these days...my mom had eight kids and worked and nothing was left undone, but she was not racing around like a crazy person. Somehow, life was lived before phones, gadgets etc.
Anyway...jmo

In one of the earlier threads someone posted a graphic of how much these deaths have increased since the early 90's...I remember saying that the early 90's is really when cell phones (bag phones :p ) were gaining popularity. I don't think it's a coincidence.

This baby car seat, brings up questions, that perhaps LE and the prosecution did not fully explore.

Personally, I think this is very important information.

1. What Parent would put their child in a "too small" car seat, when they'd already purchased a new, appropriately sized car seat? This may not be the best analogy, but, if my puppy has out grown his collar, and I've purchased a new one-so he's not choking, would I use the old too small collar?
Would I even then, using the too small collar tighten it up? No Way. Not unless I wanted to torture, or even kill the pup.

2. Wife knew about the new car-seat. These are not inexpensive items to buy. Why, would she allow husband to use the ill fitting too small car seat? Putting a car seat in a car takes minutes.
Why would she go along with Dad, using the baby seat that their son had outgrown, when there was a brand new correctly sized car seat for their son?

Nobody would do this!

One short other analogy. If my puppy, had grown out of his puppy crate.
I would buy a bigger one.
So, I buy the bigger dog crate and set it up.
BUT instead of using the bigger dog crate for my puppy, I force him into the too small crate.
Not only that, I pack that too small crate with newspapers, towels, whatever, so my puppy now has not a chance of being able to move.
Then, I leave him there for 7 hours.
That. Is torture.
Add heat.
That is deadly.
That is torturing to death.

Mark my words, this car seat will be huge in this trial. As it should be.

There's no way Cooper was still fitting that infant carseat at 22 months old! My son is small for his age and 33 inches at 21 months. The mannequin was shorter than Cooper so I'd say it was a good substitute for any "slouch and settle" you think a real child could do. Also, a longer torsoed child would out grow it faster than a shorter torsoed child of the same height. Bottomline, its an infant carseat not meant for a nearly two year old toddler. RH and LH knew this and thats why they bought Cooper an appropriately sized FF carseat 6 weeks before he died. I can't wait to hear the excuse for why they put him back in his ill fitting infant carseat, RF, just two weeks before he dies?

It's been a long day, and as I have rocked and loved on her 103 degree body, held her for bloodwork and an IV, and wiped fearful tears away, I just cannot fathom ever doing anything purposely to harm my own child. It goes against every.single.strand of my DNA.

I just don't get it.

:praying: for your DarlingDaughter T4T

:grouphug:

#FamilyFirst.... Truly!

I just don't know what else to say.....

As a mom, this case - and your post - leaves me without words....

Best wishes for the fastest recovery possible for your beloved child, as I would wish for my own :tears:

:heartluv:

la_cavalière;10703156 said:
I'm on the fence, but at this time, I am thinking that this was a terrible accident.

rsbm: Irrevelant due to what he is charged with.

He left the child in the car, he admitted it. He is guilty of gross negligence resulting in death. In other states, it's called Criminally Negligent Homicide. Guilty under the laws of GA...case closed, imo

I just don't get it.

Awe :( I hope she feels better. I remember Mono being very unfun :(

"UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' OK. Leanna was first -- Ross' wife was first interviewed at Home Depot at the Treehouse location?"

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: True.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' Who did that interview?*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Detective Stockinger (ph).*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' By himself?*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Detective Racy (ph) was with him.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' That's the one I can't spell. OK.

Was that interview recorded?*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I believe so.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' OK. On audio?*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just audio -- it is recorded. It's audio alone.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:' OK. Were they the ones that told Leanna that Cooper was deceased?*

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1407/03/cnr.07.html
*So police went to the day care to interview Leanna I missed that.

Wait, I thought the Treehouse Location is the Home Depot offices where RH worked. I thought the day care was called Little Aprons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46