GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
la_cavalière;10703156 said:
I'm on the fence, but at this time, I am thinking that this was a terrible accident. Make no mistake, I'm not defending JRH – this guy is a terrible parent, husband and employee – but I'm not sure he's a cold-blooded child murderer. I know I am a member of a tiny minority here, so please don't skewer me!

There are several reasons why I think Cooper's tragic death wasn't planned, but the main reason is, ironically, JRH's disgusting behavior. Just about everyone now knows that after a suspicious death, phone, text and internet records will be analyzed. That's even more true for someone working in a tech field like web development. So I have a lot of trouble believing that if he planned this, he would send lewd photos of his anatomy and text with multiple women all day while his child was dying. He may not be a genius, but he would surely know that his phone and internet records would be scrutinized.

Perhaps, after eating at CFA, his mind immediately turned toward his titillating virtual activities, and all thoughts of his child vanished. I would be curious to see if he sent or received texts or chat messages before he arrived at work. Perhaps he and his wife were so afraid he would leave Cooper in the car because he had a history of being absent-minded, or maybe because it had happened before. Parents DO sometimes forget when an infant is in the car - it happens quite often, and there have been several stories recently in the news. I don't have children, but I do really, really stupid things all the time when I'm distracted, and if I had a child this would be a major fear for me.

There has been no evidence so far, other than a brief visit to a "Child-Free" website, that JRH didn't love his child or enjoy being a father. His friends say he talked about Cooper all the time and enjoyed spending time with him. Sexting with other women and underage girls may be sick, but it is not solid proof he wanted to kill his child. Shocking as it may be, sexting and chatting on these kinds of forums and social apps is common, even among married people. Ditto for marital problems or insurance policies.

I wish I could feel as convinced as some of you of his guilt - but until I hear more evidence, I am hanging out on this lonely fence.

LOL, believe it or not I welcome someone who has a different opinion than mine, it would be boring for everyone to agree with everything I think. However I do think that he no longer wanted to be "tied down" with a wife or child. I think he wanted the single life again and did not want to be burdened with paying child support. It will be interesting to see if you change your mind during the trial. It would be much easier to deal with this innocent baby's death if if was proven that it was an accident instead of a planned murder.

I have not been able to read the threads today, so if this has been said already, sorry.

Anyway, I am so impressed with the sleuthers who thought about the life insurance and the girlfriend aspect.

The insurance made sense as LH works in an insurance office. The girlfriend makes sense as it is always there with the male.

Who guessed that it would be so many women with RH.

I am impressed with the sleuthers!

here is the keyfit30 manual. Cooper being strapped in with the smallest child setting is still equally wrong, suspicious and must have been horribly uncomfortable for him. The smallest setting for the straps is meant for an infant. period. He was not an infant. he was a toddler who had or was about to outgrow that seat. period. The only discernable difference in the keyfit and the keyfit30 is that 20lb to 30lb differential. At least as pertains to this conversation. MOO

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aam.../default/v1404462743555/manuals/KeyFit 30.pdf

I was also shocked how light the tinting was on his car windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was stated in yesterday's proceedings that his car had factory tint. That would have to comply with all jurisdictions so it couldn't be very dark.

Hmm. Good point - have husband murder the baby and husband goes away for life. Anxious to learn more about what they find on her.

Maybe she has a little something on the side herself?

What if RH has been threatening to leave Cooper in the car as a way to control LH?

What if she went to the daycare and finding him not there essentially said, "Oh my God. Ross actually did it. He must have left him in the car."

It could explain her hot car searches if it was an ongoing threat.

I'm on the fence, but at this time, I am thinking that this was a terrible accident. Make no mistake, I'm not defending JRH – this guy is a terrible parent, husband and employee – but I'm not sure he's a cold-blooded child murderer. I know I am a member of a tiny minority here, so please don't skewer me!

There are several reasons why I think Cooper's tragic death wasn't planned, but the main reason is, ironically, JRH's disgusting behavior. Just about everyone now knows that after a suspicious death, phone, text and internet records will be analyzed. That's even more true for someone working in a tech field like web development. So I have a lot of trouble believing that if he planned this, he would send lewd photos of his anatomy and text with multiple women all day while his child was dying. He may not be a genius, but he would surely know that his phone and internet records would be scrutinized.

Perhaps, after eating at CFA, his mind immediately turned toward his titillating virtual activities, and all thoughts of his child vanished. I would be curious to see if he sent or received texts or chat messages before he arrived at work. Perhaps he and his wife were so afraid he would leave Cooper in the car because he had a history of being absent-minded, or maybe because it had happened before. Parents DO sometimes forget when an infant is in the car - it happens quite often, and there have been several stories recently in the news. I don't have children, but I do really, really stupid things all the time when I'm distracted, and if I had a child this would be a major fear for me.

There has been no evidence so far, other than a brief visit to a "Child-Free" website, that JRH didn't love his child or enjoy being a father. His friends say he talked about Cooper all the time and enjoyed spending time with him. Sexting with other women and underage girls may be sick, but it is not solid proof he wanted to kill his child. Shocking as it may be, sexting and chatting on these kinds of forums and social apps is common, even among married people. Ditto for marital problems or insurance policies.

I wish I could feel as convinced as some of you of his guilt - but until I hear more evidence, I am hanging out on this lonely fence.

Thankfully not all criminals are smart. They do stupid things day in and day out. That's how crimes get solved. Just one example: recently a guy allegedly broke into someone's house, opened his facebook and left it on.
Police caught him and now he is looking at 10 years in prison.

I personally think the Insurance was excessive. If one wants to take it out just to cover Funeral expenses it's a good idea. Horrid to think about but a reality. As I posted earlier back then we had 5 thousand which was adequate. I don't see anyone having a huge funeral/meal etc. in the case of a child. I know it really was a hardship on our Nephew and Wife when their child was born deceased. My BIL and SIL and Hubby and I paid for the Funeral/Burial/Stone.

I struggle with this issue but I'd probably take out a policy and then instantly forget about it. The harsh reality is, that in addition to funeral expenses, there may well be associated major hospital expenses involved. My opinion may well be colored by the fact that I worked in patient accounts in a hospital for a long time, and saw the heartache first-hand of parents who had lost a child AND still had to face monthly payments on large medical bills for years afterwards.

Everybody - look up! Cooper has his own forum now, under Featured Cases. I'll review any requests for specific threads now. I know we had a request for a scientific thread.

Members may also make their own threads at this point. Just keep in mind that threads may be merged if we get duplicates or very similar subjects that can be discussed as one.

Salem

Salem

Friendly reminder that we now have an entire forum devoted to Cooper, so if posters want to start threads about specific topics (such as life insurance, car seats, Georgia laws, etc.), now we can.

Meanwhile, court officials on Friday released a batch of search warrants confirming that authorities sought permission to examine Harris' electronic devices to his personnel records at Home Depot.

In the documents, investigators also state that Harris has talked with family members since his son's death about "a life insurance policy that he has on Cooper and what they need to do in order to file for it."
Harris and his wife had two life insurance policies for the toddler, one for $2,000 and one for $25,000.

He spoke with family members r.e. life insurance.

http://www.abc3340.com/story/259440...d-sons-life-insurance-policies-with-relatives

Im sorry, But you are wrong. AS long as the child fits in height and weight they can use the seat. They are recommended from birth until they don't fit anymore. That is why they go way past the 22 lb limit they used to have. The age of the child does not matter. AS long as the child is between 4- 30 lbs and under 30 inches that seat is appropriate for them.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aam.../default/v1404462743555/manuals/KeyFit 30.pdf

I volunteer for our fire department safety days. They have someone come in to do car seat inspections. While the height and weight limits are the only guidelines manufacturers have to give, the inspectors do not recommend keeping toddlers in infant seats. I trust their advice.

Agree to disagree.

If something happened to my kid, I don't think I'd even remember about any life insurance policy, but that's just me. I'd be a mess. JMO

The newly-released court documents include the following allegations, as set forward by Cobb Police:

• Harris was interviewed shortly after his son was pronounced dead. "During the interview, Harris stated that leaving his son in a hot car was his biggest fear. According to Harris, he recently viewed a television show concerning child deaths in cars. He also stated that he researched the issue of deaths in cars on the internet."
  • Harris was questioned about Cooper's car seat. "Harris knew the specific make and model of the seat and what the weight limit was for the child to be seated in it. When the seat was inspected, the straps for the seat were set on the lowest level for a small child."
  • Harris told police he recently took over the finances for the family. "According to Harris, he has acquired some credit card debt, around $4,000 in order to acquire air line miles. Harris currently has outstanding student loans and car loans, for him and his wife."
  • "Harris also claimed that he was happily married. Nonetheless, evidence of inappropriate sexual communications with other women has been obtained."Leanna Harris, the wife of Ross Harris and mother of Cooper, was also interviewed by Cobb Police. "She also made a similar statement that this was her worst fear. Investigators questioned her further about this. Leanna stated specifically that her fear was that her child would be left in a hot vehicle, not the fear of losing a child."
  • "Through the investigation Harris has made comments to family members regarding a life insurance policy that he was on Cooper and what they need to do in order to file it."
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2014/07/04/new-warrants-ross-harris/12213701/

RSBM for brevity

First up, thanks so much for a reasoned and well explained post about your uncertainty. It's refreshing.

Just to make a few points. You say that you don't have children and if you had a child this would be a major fear for you. (we'll get more to this later) So what you are doing is the same thing that parents do that made excuses for him in the beginning.

One of the reasons I shared my own example of parental negligence is that too often people have "secret truths" about the way they parent and usually that means behind closed doors ALL parents have screwed up a time or two. There isn't a "perfect" parent. So people cut him slack based on "fear" and their own secret guilts. That's not rational.

At the same time, as I've posted before, I think it's ridiculously stupid the way Nancy Grace went off the deep end about the sexting. I agree with you. So what? The sexting has sweet all nothing to do with my opinion that he's negligent. In fact IMO the only reason they brought it up in court was to establish NEGLIGENCE and to make sure he wouldn't get bail. (sexting to underage girls is illegal) At the same time it shows duplicity in character. I'll give you an example.

A few weeks ago my ex husband wanted to force my 18 year old son to let his friends 18 year old daughter move into his apartment for the summer. They'd be living alone. Now I said absolutely NOT because the girl is from a devout Muslim family. I couldn't believe her father had agreed to it. So I called the dad and he didn't know and put the kibosh on the whole thing. Some of my friends were confused as to why I allowed him to move in with a single woman before but said NO WAY IN HELL to this girl. And it was because of her beliefs. You can't present one face to the world and then behind closed doors not follow the rules that you say you believe. It's dishonest. For an 18 year old girl, it's forgiveable. But my ex is Muslim and is a 50 year old man. He basically was telling her to lie to her parents and that REALLY bothered me. You see the difference?

I don't think there is anything wrong with sexting or watching *advertiser censored* or whatnot. Even the teenaged girls, how was he to really know? Perhaps they lied. Many young *advertiser censored* stars lie and say they are 17 when they are 21 because it's a sexual fantasy. So what? Well so what is that he presents himself as this upstanding church going involved Christian and soccer coach and then does this in secret and that's duplicitous. If he wants to get his groove on and that's who he really is, then go for it man, but don't show one face to the world and keep your true self secret.

Next, back to your "fear" that this would happen to you. If you truly feared this, especially as recently as this man supposedly did, wouldn't you be very very careful about making sure you didn't do it? The problem with his story about Chik-fil-a is that it was mere minutes after he had strapped his son into a car and driven off. When people forget their kids it's usually a lot longer than "less than five minutes'

Then we have the other issues of him not telling the cops he went to the car at lunchtime. Why lie? Wouldn't he just be very upset that he had 'been right there, my god maybe I could have saved him!!! I can't believe it!" He lied and got caught.

And finally, one of the reasons I've taken so long to to respond to this post is that you touch on something that I've seen thought many times. That is "why wouldn't he think" And honestly, people don't think of things as clearly as we think they do. We're on the receiving end of the crime and have the ability to look at what actually happened. In real time people make mistakes all the time. Think of all the times you were forgetful or blurted something out that was rude by accident, or ruined a surprise party or just 'didn't think" In the moment he had a lot of balls in the air. He was trying to present his 'story" and he dropped a few of them. Cops are trained to get people to do that.

One of the things I think is really valid in this case are the slips of the tongue that both he and his wife made. His comment about malicious intent, shows foresight. His wife's immediate reaction that "he must have left him in the car" "I dreaded how he would look" etc etc. simple mistake.

As Columbo once said to a criminal, you only commit the crime ONCE. I've investigated over and over again. You will make a mistake and I will find it because that's my job.

And that's what usually happens when people get busted in premeditated crimes.

here is the keyfit30 manual. Cooper being strapped in with the smallest child setting is still equally wrong, suspicious and must have been horribly uncomfortable for him. The smallest setting for the straps is meant for an infant. period. He was not an infant. he was a toddler who had or was about to outgrow that seat. period. The only discernable difference in the keyfit and the keyfit30 is that 20lb to 30lb differential. At least as pertains to this conversation. MOO

And we already know he had outgrown the seat bc the hearing mentioned he had exceeded the height limit by a few inches. Once he met one of the limits (30 inches or 30 lbs or head 1 inch below the top of the shell) he had outgrown it even if he hadn't exceeded them all. Most kids will hit the height limit before the weight.

He thinks he's smarter than LE apparently? Maybe because of his dispatcher experience :rolleyes: or his LE brother? Goes right along with him using cop jargon when he was being questioned.

Can't stand people like that.

He also says (in his reddit account) that he's "closely related" to Elvis and a descendent of Betsy Ross. He's American royalty. :laugh: :snooty:

I don't know about the rest of you who are grandmothers but I know that if I sat in that courtroom yesterday and heard the probable cause set forth by the prosecutor, I would be livid. If I were the mother's mother I would be having a very serious "one-on-one" discussion with my daughter. The grandmother has been reported to have been extremely upset upon hearing that her grandson was dead but also confused and horrified that her daughter showed no emotion while giving her the traumatic news. I can only imagine what conversation occurred after leaving that courtroom. In fact if I were her mother she would have never been waxing that damn chewing gum at all. She would be "snatched baldheaded" right now. (Ole Southern term I learned from my mama, LOL) I'm sure the people in Georgia know what I mean. :slapfight:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech