Found Deceased GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't know if the CDC would say this, but is it possible he didn't have the work phone any longer because that final meeting wasn't about a promotion at all, but rather he was fired or quit? I know it's hard to lose a government job, but it's not impossible. And if he was angered and confused as his father mentioned, it seems logical he may have quit.

We don't really know if it was his own phone or his work phone though. jmo

LE reports in the press conference that Tim's parents arrived at 7:30. They didn't call 911 to report him missing for another two hours at 9:30.

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of time to wait? Especially if they thought something was awry enough to drive all the way from Maryland.

LE reports in the press conference that Tim's parents arrived at 7:30. They didn't call 911 to report him missing for another two hours at 9:30.

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of time to wait? Especially if they thought something was awry enough to drive all the way from Maryland.

They were likely driving around looking for him. They may have even been walking trails looking for him and knocking on the neighbors' doors trying to find him. He's a grown man so I don't know if they would have the same fears that a parent of small child would have, such as being kidnapped or hit by a car. Maybe they would. But I would think that parents of a 35 year old man would first try to see if he was at a friend's house or something and just lost track of time,

Regarding CDC vs APD, maybe they’re both right. Maybe he got a promotion in his current role in July 2017 and he applied for a different position recently (branch manager) and didn’t get that new position. Maybe APD is calling that a promotion and CDC isn’t. This could be a semantics issue.

My husband is retired agent with DHS and said he finds it hard to believe that any government employee would be that upset that he didn’t get a new position when he just received an in role promotion in July. He said normally people are expected to be in the role a year. CDC could be different though!

I keep thinking of the way his parents mentioned “personal issues” first then “also professional” second. And mentioned something like nothing can change the love a parent has for a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen the picture of his car in the garage? I would still like more details on the source and date of that photo, but the way it's parked so close to the wall makes me think the space is left for another car.

The way the car is parked makes me think of creating the maximum space between the items in the garage and the car so that something large could be carried easily in or out of the garage.

They were likely driving around looking for him. They may have even been walking trails looking for him and knocking on the neighbors' doors trying to find him. He's a grown man so I don't know if they would have the same fears that a parent of small child would have, such as being kidnapped or hit by a car. Maybe they would. But I would think that parents of a 35 year old man would first try to see if he was at a friend's house or something and just lost track of time,

That's fair.

I guess I'm imagining that if I had a disagreement with my mother one night and she couldn't reach me the following day, she would not drive here to check on me or even send my sister to check my house, unless I'd said something in that conversation that made her feel I was unsafe. Tim's parents driving to Atlanta the following day just based only on the fact they'd not heard from him seems so immediate to me. Maybe that's why I'm feeling 2 hours was a long time to wait to alert authorities.

Seems if it was that urgent for them to drive overnight, why wait a whole two hours before getting LE involved? If I'm that anxious to drive that distance, I'm ready to call 911 from the car! But definitely soon after I arrive and see all my child's belongings there and him gone after two days of not hearing from him. And especially if those previous conversations made me feel he was confused, angry, and not himself.

But, I understand everyone's different. That just seems off to me.

I really think it would be worth checking the trails behind Spink Collins Park as I mentioned before. It’s the strangest, weirdly private and barely used little wooded area that most ppl don’t know about. There’s an old stone boy scout cabin ruins and camp area....It’s not far from his place but far enough that it may not have been searched yet. (Ten min walk and 2 min drive). Maybe it has already been covered but it was definitely the first thing I thought of when I read the story. Oh and it seems the only ppl who use it are dog walkers...but it’s so wooded that there are many areas you could go unseen if you went off the trail a bit...

Great tip, especially since we know he had Bo. I've never even heard of that park, but I see it now on the map. I bet @arta would take a look.

For those who have shared their experience with or expertise on mental illness: Would someone who leaves their home in a crisis/breakdown situation gravitate towards areas they're familiar with or just wander aimlessly? Just depends or is one scenario more likely?

Me too. Makes me kinda hope "arta" bumps into the neighbor and he's feeling super chatty :wink: (who is, along with his wife, probably now hiding in their house).

***I'm in no way suggesting WSers hunt down the neighbors! Don't want to cause us problems on the thread***:smile:

Would never hunt down Tim’s neighbors, BUT, if neighbors were outside and looked approachable, would gently see if they would talk. It’s likely been very stressful for all his neighbors, whom I noticed to be mostly families with small children.

Don't know if the CDC would say this, but is it possible he didn't have the work phone any longer because that final meeting wasn't about a promotion at all, but rather he was fired or quit? I know it's hard to lose a government job, but it's not impossible. And if he was angered and confused as his father mentioned, it seems logical he may have quit.

If anyone has the work phone it appears it may be Tim since APD had to examine the records to make sure it wasn't being used.

That's fair.

I guess I'm imagining that if I had a disagreement with my mother one night and she couldn't reach me the following day, she would not drive here to check on me or even send my sister to check my house, unless I'd said something in that conversation that made her feel I was unsafe. Tim's parents driving to Atlanta the following day just based only on the fact they'd not heard from him seems so immediate to me. Maybe that's why I'm feeling 2 hours was a long time to wait to alert authorities.

Seems if it was that urgent for them to drive overnight, why wait a whole two hours before getting LE involved? If I'm that anxious to drive that distance, I'm ready to call 911 from the car! But definitely soon after I arrive and see all my child's belongings there and him gone after two days of not hearing from him. And especially if those previous conversations made me feel he was confused, angry, and not himself.

But, I understand everyone's different. That just seems off to me.

Well, a lot of the family dynamics seem off to me in this case, so I do get your point. I'm not from a family that is so enmeshed (link below about what I mean) as Tim's seems to be be. I know families like his, though, so maybe it would be a long time to wait to call 911. I would feel smothered in a family like Tim's, but we're all different and I know some people absolutely love living in that type of super-close, everyone in the family is all up in everyone else's life to an extreme degree way.

http://www.mariadroste.org/2013/07/the-enmeshed-family-what-it-is-and-how-to-unmesh/

When families are enmeshed, however, this doesn’t always happen. When children are raised to conform to their parents’ expectations of who they are, what they believe, and how they think and feel, that individuation so necessary to being truly independent doesn’t occur. Healthy families allow for differences in their members; adults and children alike.

[...]

Families that are enmeshed often have a set of spoken, or unspoken, rules that govern the member’s behaviors even into adulthood. Do these sound familiar to you?

Don’t talk to outsiders about what goes on in our family. That is our business and our business only.
What Mom and Dad say/believe/think/feel about you is what is right, never mind that you are 45 years old and have been on your own for 27 years.
It’s okay for you to be a little bit different from us in some ways, but there is a line that you can’t cross in this family and still be accepted (maybe you can’t be a Democrat, or a gay person, or marry outside of our race).
The cost of being different is to be cut off. We cannot accept differences that challenge our rigid sense of who this family is.
Even as adults, you will conform to the wishes of “the family” instead of make your own mind up about how, where, and with whom you wish to live your life.

If anyone has the work phone it appears it may be Tim since APD had to examine the records to make sure it wasn't being used.

So his work phone is missing then ?

Well, a lot of the family dynamics seem off to me in this case, so I do get your point. I'm not from a family that is so enmeshed (link below about what I mean) as Tim's seems to be be. I know families like his, though, so maybe it would be a long time to wait to call 911.

In that regard, you're right, and that long wait fits right into the enmeshment theory of "what goes on in this house, stays in this house". And maybe that's some of what's driving their interviews, too.

I have not walked Whetstone Creek Trail nor have I checked out Standing Peachtree Park, which I believe you also mentioned, Daisy. Will def go to both places this weekend. I lived for a few years in Underwood Hills and as a child grew up in Wildwood (nhood north of Howell Mill/Collier Road intersection). So I feel that same tug of caring that you do and really appreciate your posts.

So his work phone is missing then ?

I can't say only that APD examined the phone records to determine if the phone was being used. It's in the first 15 min. of the full press conference (59 min.) which I can't link for some unknown reason.

For what it's worth I don't think he threw the phone away.

[…]

Her brother sounded different in a phone call on the day he left work sick, Tiara told the newspaper. He seemed "not like himself." His father felt uncomfortable after last talking with him, too, noting a "tone" that left him "concerned about Tim."

Cunningham remained missing as of Sunday, police told told The Washington Post, and authorities are looking to the public for leads. Foul play was not suspected.

Cunningham's family hoped he might show up as a John Doe in a hospital, according to Atlanta's Fox 5.

"None of this makes sense," his brother, Anterio Cunningham, told the station. "He wouldn't just evaporate like this and leave his dog alone and have our mother wondering and worrying like this. He wouldn't."

[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ial-seemed-evaporate-without-trace/372615002/

[…]

Commander Cunningham had “a lot going on” personally and professionally, his father added, and his most recent conversation with his son had left him worried.

“The tone, and the numerous exchanges gave us reason to be concerned about Tim,” Terrell Cunningham said. “And I don’t know if it’s an instinct you have because it’s your child, but it was not a normal conversation and I was not comfortable.”

[…]

Anterio Cunningham, 41, his older brother, said the disappearance “totally goes against not just our core principles as a family but also his personality.”

Commander Cunningham was the kind of person who sent people handwritten notes and encouraged his siblings to excel at school, he said.

[…]

“This is just so out of the realm of, I don’t know,” Anterio Cunningham said, his voice trailing off. “Like, never in a million years would I have thought this.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/us/cdc-employee-missing.html

I can't say only that APD examined the phone records to determine if the phone was being used. It's in the first 15 min. of the full press conference (59 min.) which I can't link for some unknown reason.

For what it's worth I don't think he threw the phone away.

Interesting.

A ray of hope to hope on:
He could have voluntarily checked himself into a psych ward. They are confidential... missing or not, they cannot even verify if someone is present.
He worked in the field. It is no one's business if he checked himself into hospital.

Regarding CDC vs APD, maybe they’re both right. Maybe he got a promotion in his current role in July 2017 and he applied for a different position recently (branch manager) and didn’t get that new position. Maybe APD is calling that a promotion and CDC isn’t. This could be a semantics issue.

My husband is retired agent with DHS and said he finds it hard to believe that any government employee would be that upset that he didn’t get a new position when he just received an in role promotion in July. He said normally people are expected to be in the role a year. CDC could be different though!

I keep thinking of the way his parents mentioned “personal issues” first then “also professional” second. And mentioned something like nothing can change the love a parent has for a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your husband. As far as I a concerned, the info about the job is a red herring.

This is what I'm wondering about. CDC says there was no promotion involved and Atlanta PD says they stand by their statements. For two organizations that are supposed to "work closely" it would appear they need to get closer together.

APD needs to back off this. Don't know who they talked with, but the official CDC position is not what APD is spouting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali
Back