GA GA - Union City, WhtFem 107UFGA, 16-30, silver mother's ring, Mar'92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Side by side: looks like a very close facial resemblance, though Twyla's photo is tilted enough to make it a little hard to see.

Attachments

• twyla mickey with Union City JD.png
    twyla mickey with Union City JD.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 38
Pros:
  • Twyla appears to be much more put together, if you will, than how the artist imagines the Doe, but I feel like the bony structures are quite similar.
  • Age, height, and race are within range. Condition of remains would, I think, be consistent with a post-mortem interval of almost 2.5 years.
  • Proximity--Union City is about 30 miles, give or take, from either Marietta or Doraville, and this location is very immediately off of I-85 exit 64 (2 min/0.3 mi).

Cons:
  • An article referenced on the Find a Grave link for Twyla says her DNA has been submitted, and Doe Network indicates that mitochondrial DNA has been submitted for this Doe--I'm guessing they would have been compared automatically. I'm assuming, possibly falsely, that Twyla's specimen is actually familial. She has/had siblings and her mother living at that time, so there would be access to mitochondrial DNA.
  • Her mother also says that Twyla's dentist has been contacted regarding "dental (appliance) records," which makes me think that Twyla may have had some kind of retainer or similar. No mention of something like that being found with our UID, although I also don't see it listed in Twyla's NamUs. It does indicate that there are dentals available for comparison.
  • Size 6 (medium) panties were found near the body, and Twyla seems to have been an extremely thin woman (67", 105#). There is also no clear reason she would have a four stone mother's ring--her own mother seems to have had three children, and Twyla had one son.
  • Twyla's disappearance was well-publicized and investigated, and her family is still actively seeking her. It seems unlikely to me that she was not ruled out as this woman, even if she is not formally listed as an exclusion. For example, an article lists her as an exclusion to another UID in Marietta, but this rule-out is not in NamUs.
  • Google streetview/satellite show a couple of budget motels and a semi pulled off in the general vicinity of where the victim was found--I could definitely see this UID as being someone who got into trouble getting rides with or offering services to a trucker. In which case, she could be from ANYWHERE, versus being a local woman.

This is neither here nor there, but I thought Tami said earlier in the thread that the ring was found NEAR the body, not ON the body, which is not how it is currently listed in NamUs (panties near the body, ring on the body). Another neutral item is that the one of the other suspected victims of her boyfriend was found partially clothed and strangled, which is not inconsistent with this UID.

I already did post a message to her sister on the Facebook site. She replied that she doubted that this Jane Doe is her sister (because she doubts that Carey would have left the state of Texas), but she will ask authorities to check it out for sure once the DNA FRS kits are processed. She appreciates that we are looking.
Here we are 6 years later and I saw Carey's missing persons poster on FB today and it brought me right to the Jane Doe. Carey is still not on the rule out list - it said above that Carey's sister wouldn't think she would go to Georgia, maybe she met with foul play and she was dumped there? I really think this should be looked into.

In an Atlanta Constitution blurb from 1992, the medical examiner comments that the woman had extensive dental work, as well as blunt force trauma to the head and face--he thought her death was a homicide. At the time, she was believed to be a white woman, age 18-23, who had been dead about a year.

1992 WhtFemale Union City - Newspapers.com

I was going to suggest Brenda Joan Szabo before realizing she previously ruled out. Her 4 children was what caught my eye. Is it possible the UID’s Mother’s ring contained her own birthstone and those of three children? I’m sure it’s been mentioned before and I’ve just not seen it - for the sake of bumping the thread I’ll ask again.

Last edited:
So I submitted Brenda Edmondson as a possible match to this UID on Monday to the Fulton County Medical Examiners office. https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/59213/details
she went missing from Athens GA in 1987.
I just came into work and I received this email.

Thank you for the email. We will begin researching this case and see if there is anything we can do to progress a match. That’s very interesting about the ring. I’ll certainly update you and keep you in the loop. Thank you for what you do.

I mentioned about the Mother's ring and that Brenda had three children when she went missing. It makes me happy when they actually seem interested about a tip that I send in because I have sent so many over the years.

clip_image002.jpg
clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
I think she might be Suzanne Rene Richerson from Texas who was abducted in 1988 and may have had her remains moved to another location at one point but this can’t be proven i submitted it just in case though.

Missing Since
10/07/1988
Missing From
Galveston, Texas
Classification
Endangered Missing
Sex
Female
Race
White
Date of Birth
10/08/1965 (55)
Height and Weight
5'8, 140 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description
A blue blouse, a denim skirt and tan shoes.
Distinguishing Characteristics
Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Richerson has a scar above her right eyelid. She wears contact lenses. She goes by her middle name, Rene.
Details of Disappearance

Richerson was a student at Texas A&M University in Galveston, Texas in 1988. She was employed as a night clerk at Casa Del Mar Condominiums on Seawall Boulevard in the resort community at the time. Richerson was last seen at work at approximately 6:00 a.m. on October 7, 1988 by resort security guards.

Another employee who was sleeping in a room above Richerson's office heard a female scream shortly after the guards left the vicinity. A car door slammed shut, accompanied by another scream and the sound of a car speeding away from the parking lot shortly thereafter.

A guest arrived at Richerson's office to check out at approximately 6:30 a.m. and discovered the desk was abandoned. There was no sign of a struggle and Richerson's purse, books and car were left at the resort. One of Richerson's shoes was located in the parking lot later in the morning, but she has never been seen again.

Foul play is suspected in Richerson's case. Her disappearance may be connected to a string of over 20 women who have been abducted and/or murdered in the Galveston, Texas area since the 1970's. A task force comprised of local law enforcement officials and FBI agents, called Operation HALT (Homicide/Abduction Liaison Team), has been formed to investigate the incidents.

The disappearances of three other young women from Galveston County may also be connected to Operation HALT's caseload. Sondra Ramber vanished in 1983 and Michelle Thomas disappeared in 1985. It should be emphasized that law enforcement has not determined if these cases are related to one another.

Gabriel Soto was a suspect in Richerson's case. He died as the result of an apparent drug overdose in late July 2002. Authorities stated that they believed Soto was involved in Richerson's abduction, but he was never charged in connection with her disappearance.

Soto was arrested sometime before his death after allegedly attempting to run his vehicle over another individual. Investigators said that the victim told him to avoid another person who allegedly witnessed Soto and Richerson speaking on the night of her abduction.

Authorities reportedly questioned two cousins about Richerson's case in May 2001. Media sources claimed that officials had located circumstantial evidence that connected the men to her disappearance. The cousins resided in Galveston in 2001 and allegedly denied any involvement in her case.

In 2004, a witness claimed she saw two men digging up Richerson's remains in 1992 and moving them to another place. Police investigated the sites the woman specified and found fragments of bone, but they turned out to be from an animal.

Richerson is described as a good student. She spent her first two years of college at the Galveston campus of Texas A&M, moved to the College Station campus for her junior year, and then back to Galveston to complete her senior year.

She majored in maritime administration and planned to get a job in seaport management and possibly a degree in maritime law. She had moved to her own apartment in Galveston three weeks before she disappeared, sharing it with her brother. Her case remains unsolved.

Attachments

• D327FB22-357F-4DA2-8D65-B80C9E40F92E.jpeg
    D327FB22-357F-4DA2-8D65-B80C9E40F92E.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 75B2B982-BAF3-4A81-9F83-80838CC63BE2.jpeg
    75B2B982-BAF3-4A81-9F83-80838CC63BE2.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 3
I think she might be Suzanne Rene Richerson from Texas who was abducted in 1988 and may have had her remains moved to another location at one point but this can’t be proven i submitted it just in case though.

Missing Since
10/07/1988
Missing From
Galveston, Texas
Classification
Endangered Missing
Sex
Female
Race
White
Date of Birth
10/08/1965 (55)
Height and Weight
5'8, 140 pounds
Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Richerson has a scar above her right eyelid. She wears contact lenses. She goes by her middle name, Rene.
Details of Disappearance

Richerson was a student at Texas A&M University in Galveston, Texas in 1988. She was employed as a night clerk at Casa Del Mar Condominiums on Seawall Boulevard in the resort community at the time. Richerson was last seen at work at approximately 6:00 a.m. on October 7, 1988 by resort security guards.

Another employee who was sleeping in a room above Richerson's office heard a female scream shortly after the guards left the vicinity. A car door slammed shut, accompanied by another scream and the sound of a car speeding away from the parking lot shortly thereafter.

A guest arrived at Richerson's office to check out at approximately 6:30 a.m. and discovered the desk was abandoned. There was no sign of a struggle and Richerson's purse, books and car were left at the resort. One of Richerson's shoes was located in the parking lot later in the morning, but she has never been seen again.

Foul play is suspected in Richerson's case. Her disappearance may be connected to a string of over 20 women who have been abducted and/or murdered in the Galveston, Texas area since the 1970's. A task force comprised of local law enforcement officials and FBI agents, called Operation HALT (Homicide/Abduction Liaison Team), has been formed to investigate the incidents.

The disappearances of three other young women from Galveston County may also be connected to Operation HALT's caseload. Sondra Ramber vanished in 1983 and Michelle Thomas disappeared in 1985. It should be emphasized that law enforcement has not determined if these cases are related to one another.

Gabriel Soto was a suspect in Richerson's case. He died as the result of an apparent drug overdose in late July 2002. Authorities stated that they believed Soto was involved in Richerson's abduction, but he was never charged in connection with her disappearance.

Soto was arrested sometime before his death after allegedly attempting to run his vehicle over another individual. Investigators said that the victim told him to avoid another person who allegedly witnessed Soto and Richerson speaking on the night of her abduction.

Authorities reportedly questioned two cousins about Richerson's case in May 2001. Media sources claimed that officials had located circumstantial evidence that connected the men to her disappearance. The cousins resided in Galveston in 2001 and allegedly denied any involvement in her case.

In 2004, a witness claimed she saw two men digging up Richerson's remains in 1992 and moving them to another place. Police investigated the sites the woman specified and found fragments of bone, but they turned out to be from an animal.

Richerson is described as a good student. She spent her first two years of college at the Galveston campus of Texas A&M, moved to the College Station campus for her junior year, and then back to Galveston to complete her senior year.

She majored in maritime administration and planned to get a job in seaport management and possibly a degree in maritime law. She had moved to her own apartment in Galveston three weeks before she disappeared, sharing it with her brother. Her case remains unsolved.
Thank you for taking the time to submit! Although I see as many similarities as discrepancies, I think it'd be great if the possibility were ruled in or out.

Missing Since
10/07/1988
Missing From
Galveston, Texas
Classification
Endangered Missing
Sex
Female
Race
White
Date of Birth
10/08/1965 (55)
Height and Weight
5'8, 140 pounds
Details of Disappearance

Suzanne Rene Richerson – The Charley Project

Exclusions The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Lurline Bergeron 1976 Florida
(Regina Brannon 1900 Alabama) not listed any more
Stephanie Michele Buehler 1971 Texas
Tara Calico 1900 New Mexico
Pollyanne Carter 1969 Washington
Beatrice Bailey Coleman 1964 Tennessee
Janet Dolgae 1961 Ohio
Andrea D'Anne Durham 1976 Florida
Wendy Louise Felton 1971 Indiana
Teresa Lyn Fittin 1957 Florida
Lisa Marie Wallace Geise 1962 Georgia
Amy Danielle Gibson 1975 North Carolina
Katherine Heckel 1951 Michigan
Deborah Hohenshilt 1962 Florida
Laura Hook 1973 North Carolina
Catrina Jackson 1973 Georgia
Catrina Renee Jackson 1973 Georgia
Kramer Kelly Ann 1974 Georgia
Cassandra Nadine Landrum 1957 Georgia (now listed as "Sandra" with Cassandra as a nickname)
Carolyn (Carrie) Lawson 1966 Alabama
Penny Lease 1965 Illinois
Lori Jean Lloyd 1961 Ohio
Sabrina Long 1971 Georgia
Penelope Madanat 1968 Louisiana
Stacie Elisabeth Madison 1970 Texas
Sherry Lynn Marler 1971 Alabama
Deborah McCall 1963 Illinois
Deborah Ann McKneely 1951 Georgia
Meredith Ann Medina 1972 Oklahoma
Becky Annette Minish 1968 Georgia (now listed as Becky Edmonson)
Misty Michelle Mock 1966 Washington
Helen Ann Morgan 1957 Georgia
Judith ODonnell 1961 New York
Deborah Poe 1963 Florida
Kristine Joanne Porco 1970 South Carolina
Joy Post 1961 Georgia
Lorrene Reynolds 1956 California
Cynthia Robinson 1961 Florida
Connie Lynn Royse 1965 Michigan
Monique Santiago 1978 New York
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Terry Slaugenhoupt 1962 Pennsylvania
Amanda Slaughter 1976 Texas
Susan Renee Smalley 1969 Texas
Karen Ann Spencer 1972 Ohio
Nancy Stewart Hranko Williams 1961 Georgia
Brenda Joan Szabo 1949 California
Emma Lorene Vaughn 1967 Florida
April Vik South Carolina
Paulette Webster 1969 Illinois
added: MP666 Nancy Williams 03/01/1988 Fulton GA

All I can say about the Medical Examiner in charge of this Jane Doe's case... he is amazing! We have went back and forth over the past year about this Doe being Brenda Edmondson, he has been working with Brenda's family and has spoke to her one daughter. While Brenda has 3 children, the ring with the birthstones don't match the months of Brenda's children and they have no recollection of the ring.

Last time I heard from the Medical Examiner in May, he said the FBI has a 5 month wait list for the GBI's current cases and after that they can submit cold cases. He also said that Brenda's mom or daughter's DNA hasn't been uploaded to the "National DNA Index system"

Brenda Lee Alexander Edmondson is out? Becky Edmonson is the same girl????

Brenda Lee Alexander Edmondson is out? Becky Edmonson is the same girl????
No not the same girl and she is still not ruled out yet. They are waiting for DNA to compare. The Medical Examiner said that her family does not remember the ring the Doe was found with or does the birth stones match those of Brenda's children.

Could anyone list her exclusions? I don't mind if you can't as it would be a huge undertaking. Or is the exclusion list the same as post #133?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back