Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hate to see this get politicized. How many innocent lives will we need lose in this way for TPTB to consider it a worthwhile problem? Too many I fear.

I recognize it’s a complex issue with many moving components and by no means do I believe it to be a simple fix, but I’d like to believe it starts with both sides getting on the same page - long enough to at the very least agree that there is a problem - because if not what hope do any of us truly have at a future?

Yes, dangerous people will forever walk among us and we can’t always safeguard ourselves from a ‘wrong place, wrong time’ situation, yet we can and do try. But what good is it to have personal precautionary measures in place if our city/state/country/etc. isn’t doing their own respective parts to protect us from criminals and/or reoffenders? What good is a contingency plan with odds so seemingly stacked against us?

Sorry to vent. I just find so much of this difficult to comprehend and it truly saddens me to think a tragedy like this may have been preventable had every prior opportunity to do away with this guy not been totally squandered.

/MOO
I find it bizarre that this guy suddenly(?) becomes violent and smashes a woman dead. Has he done this before? Did he kill anyone in Venezuela? Is Venezuela so lawless right now that you can kill some one and toss the body in the woods and just go on with your life? Was he hoping to go to prison because he would rather be there?

I hope that ICE is looking into the "estranged wife's" situation as well, since she told the MSM that she and Ibarra got married in order to strengthen their case for asylum when they crossed the U.S. border illegally with her child. A couple with a young child might have a better chance of getting asylum, so they committed fraud. I would think that this fraud would disqualify her from asylum status.

No mention of her so far this evening. I’m inclined to think someone quickly intervened and told her not to go on.

This case is so far reaching as far as moving optics go that it is going to be difficult to determine what steps were and were not taken.

Just saw this -- please excuse if it is a repeat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Laken Riley's Cause of Death Revealed After She's Killed During Jog on University of Georgia Campus

Authorities have released the cause of death in the killing of Laken Riley, the 22-year-old nursing student who disappeared while on a jog on a Georgia college campus last week.
Riley, a student at Augusta University's campus in Athens, Ga., died from blunt force trauma to the head, Sonny Wilson, the coroner at the Athens-Clarke County Coroner's Office and Morgue, confirms to PEOPLE.
Jose Ibarra, 26, has been charged in connection with Riley’s death, according to an arrest affidavit reviewed by PEOPLE.
[...]
Ibarra was arrested on Friday and has been charged with several offenses, including murder, kidnapping and assault, online court records show.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Full article here:

I find it bizarre that this guy suddenly(?) becomes violent and smashes a woman dead. Has he done this before? Did he kill anyone in Venezuela? Is Venezuela so lawless right now that you can kill some one and toss the body in the woods and just go on with your life? Was he hoping to go to prison because he would rather be there?

Venezuela has been the top location for the highest crime rate in the world. I don’t know if it’s changed recently but it’s been this way for a while now.

I haven’t heard anything yet about crimes that he committed in Venezuela.

riding a scooter with a 5 yr old child on the back of it...IMO..so he was also baby sitting IMO
All the poor joggers, yet another woman murdered. I also think of Eliza Fletcher and Sydney Sutherland and so many more. Sydney's killer even hugged her Mom while they were searching for her. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
We've seen the info posted about Jose Ibarrra working for food delivery services in New York.. I don't understand how THAT is possible and that is alarming in itself due to him not having proper documentation to prove who he is and that he is legally here and allowed to work.. so he's bringing food to people's houses and we see what he is capable of.. do these businesses NOT vet those applying to work for them? I do not understand this. I certainly would not want someone bringing anything to my house if they were not vetted to verify identity and criminal history.

There also seems to be a vehicle involved since the brother was arrested for DUI and driving without a license.. so was Jose in New York.. so again how did Jose even get approved to be a delivery person without a license??
Because they're cheaper to hire. And until we start prosecuting employers, sorry, but expecting others to take care of all this is putting yourself at risk.
You know about the slaughtered four at U of I? Yes? Don't order out for total strangers to come to you door. Yes? Kohberger did it, but he knew their habits. And entered and emerged w/o question because those that were left alive in the premises were used to all sorts of things going on all times of the day and night.
I am so blessed that the youngest of my four daughters is 37. Off topic, but not for your kids. Nor is the ice pick for joggers.

Here is one of my many interviews with neighbors who tell me Jose Ibarra, an illegal immigrant from Venezuela, would sit outside of his apartment all day long, watching the exact path Laken Riley would take on her regular runs on a popular trail through University of Georgia.

With a nod to the late, great Mr. Rogers, "It's just a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
NOT
With neighbors who tow the prosecutorial line as aiders & abetters....You gotta do better for a domicile. But don't forget to call the Governor and tell him why you're leaving.

Thank You for posting this video, @imstilla.grandma. Everybody should watch it. I got a much better sense of the location. MOO, sounds like a lazy guy not motivated except to hang around and do wrong.

From the video, we learned how JAI would sit out all day long, and watch what was going on around there, and most surely, he saw Laken pass by and enter on the running path. How awful to be attacked. That young woman was headed for such a bright future and would've helped so many people. What a loss. Prayers for her Family, Friends, and that whole Community to come together to get Justice and get change in Laken's name.

-A criminal profiler says the murdered UGA nursing student's killer probably 'panicked' after being 'overwhelmed by her size' during his attack.

-'In this case, the offender was met with resistance which he wasn't expecting, and it got overpowering and he couldn't control it and he restored to violence,' said John Lang Jr., a former GBI investigator and criminal profiler.

-'But he didn't know what he was in for and I suspect she probably fought back,' Lang said.

'He's not a very big fellow and he may have been overwhelmed by her size and her strengths and tenacity to fight back.'

According to court documents, Ibarra is 5′7″ and 185 pounds.

-'Concealing her body, that's just an opportunity to distance himself from the crime,' Lang said.

Ibarra lived in an apartment complex near the trail so legal experts suggested he simply walked from his property onto the trail.

'That's where the guy lives,' Lang said. 'Anybody could probably predict that's probably where he approached her from at least.'

Lang explained that when a woman is attacked by a man, investigators can't rule out if the motive was sexual - claiming that only Ibarra can answer for what the true motive was.

-A criminal profiler says the murdered UGA nursing student's killer probably 'panicked' after being 'overwhelmed by her size' during his attack.

-'In this case, the offender was met with resistance which he wasn't expecting, and it got overpowering and he couldn't control it and he restored to violence,' said John Lang Jr., a former GBI investigator and criminal profiler.

-'But he didn't know what he was in for and I suspect she probably fought back,' Lang said.

'He's not a very big fellow and he may have been overwhelmed by her size and her strengths and tenacity to fight back.'

According to court documents, Ibarra is 5′7″ and 185 pounds.

-'Concealing her body, that's just an opportunity to distance himself from the crime,' Lang said.

Ibarra lived in an apartment complex near the trail so legal experts suggested he simply walked from his property onto the trail.

'That's where the guy lives,' Lang said. 'Anybody could probably predict that's probably where he approached her from at least.'

Lang explained that when a woman is attacked by a man, investigators can't rule out if the motive was sexual - claiming that only Ibarra can answer for what the true motive was.
Hi MassGuy nice to see you. 2 quick questions, was the killer hoping for a more petite victim? I assume yes, prey on smaller, petite and not as physically strong as him. The comment about disfiguring her head is not one I recall seeing before. I would think if he bashed her head hard enough to disfigure it, that she would end up unconscious?

Hi MassGuy nice to see you. 2 quick questions, was the killer hoping for a more petite victim? I assume yes, prey on smaller, petite and not as physically strong as him. The comment about disfiguring her head is not one I recall seeing before. I would think if he bashed her head hard enough to disfigure it, that she would end up unconscious?
I think he likely went after her specifically, after seeing her pass his apartment (Based on that Newsnation report). So I think he knew her size, but miscalculated her strength; people fighting for their lives can put up a hell of a fight. I think the "disfiguring" element of aggravated battery might be unique to Georgia law, as I haven't seen that before either. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a rock to do that, and yes, I'm sure she would have been knocked unconscious when that occurred. This guy was enraged.

I think he likely went after her specifically, after seeing her pass his apartment (Based on that Newsnation report). So I think he knew her size, but miscalculated her strength; people fighting for their lives can put up a hell of a fight. I think the "disfiguring" element of aggravated battery might be unique to Georgia law, as I haven't seen that before either. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a rock to do that, and yes, I'm sure she would have been knocked unconscious when that occurred. This guy was enraged.
they have not said if he had any scratches, wounds, bruises when arrested

“My reaction is of heartbreak, as it is with just about everybody,” said Carole Black, owner of Classic Race Services and race director for the AthHalf. “I’m heartbroken for the running community and heartbroken for the university and certainly for the family and friends of this young lady.

“Then my next reaction is how do we as a running community move forward? Do we change anything we do?”

<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule>

“The Classic City Marathon is planning to designate a mile of the marathon to Riley this year and we’re also donating money to Project Safe in her honor,” said Noble. “The mile will probably be on East Campus Road, and we’ll designate that to Laken.”

Last edited by a moderator:
People feel a lot of things while running--it could be fatigue, peace or, of course, that runner’s high.

“It's harder to get to than people think it is," said runner Courtney Busse-Jones.

“It's kind of just time for myself, and I can just focus and kind of zone out for a little bit,” said Jennifer, who also runs. .

“It's very sad for someone to just be doing a hobby and then something like that happens,” said Jennifer.

"You can do the best you can to try and be safe, but you can’t guarantee what other people are going to do,” Busse-Jones said.

"Unfortunately, if I see someone coming my direction, I just make sure that I’m out of grabbing distance,” said Busse-Jones.

“You have to be on more high awareness all the time when you’re doing something that should be relaxing and fun and enjoyable,” Jennifer said.

“It has to be something that you think about,” said Busse-Jones.

MOO JMO, my reaction is just rage....this is so unfair. And I know that criminals aren't rational people so you can't apply sane logic to their actions, but it is completely beyond comprehension how someone can live for 27 years (or however long) and then commit such a heinous and disgusting act against a woman. How does that even happen? Immigrating - even the illegal way - is extremely expensive and taxing physically and mentally. Why go through all of that strife just to take someone's life and ruin your own in the process? And ruin family's lives back home who may have been depending on you for money from higher wages in the US?

According to Huth's post, the two had been running partners together and the two area also seen in the video crossing a finish line together.

Another clips shows the the two making cocktails together while another shows the pair and their other friends sharing a group hug.

Alongside the video, Huth wrote: 'Never in a million years did I think I would be writing something like this and I am still waiting to wake up from this terrible nightmare.

'Laken Riley, bestest friend, roommate, running partner, mixologist, singer, dancer, and student.

'3 years ago, you walked into my life and I never thought you would be taken from me so soon.

'You put everyone before yourself. You were supposed to cross the finish line with me for our first marathon, you were supposed to stand next to me at my wedding, you were supposed to save so many lives, you were supposed to be the aunt to my children.

'It was not supposed to be like this. I find peace in knowing how strong your faith was in God and how your actions reflected him in everything you did.

'I’m not sure how I will continue this life without you by my side, but what I do know is I will run that 26.2 in your honor and let everyone know of the perfect, beautiful, hilarious, smart, kind, and driven human that Laken Riley was.

'I will forever be proud to have called you my bestest friend and roommate. I love you to the moon and back, and I can’t wait to see you when I get up there.'

Huth described Riley as being her 'bestest friend' and added that she loved her 'to the moon and back'

I just caught up on this whole thread - my heart breaks for this beautiful girl and my thoughts go out to her family & friends.

There’s a couple of things that stand out for me in this case:

The friend notifying the police so early on - this suggests to me that something must’ve alerted the friend ( I don’t believe anyone would report to the police if their friend didn’t turn up for a couple of hours - they could’ve just got chatting to somebody.. went for coffee etc) I’m guessing Laken had her location shared on her phone and this raised her friends suspicion.

The charge regarding stopping a 911 call - this suggests to me that the crime didn’t turn violent straight away - I usually find in ‘blunt trauma’ cases that the victim is rendered unconscious from behind so has no chances to call for help - I’m intrigued to find out what he tried to do to her first which led to the attempted call.

This to me doesn’t seem like a carefully planned attack (if it is then he must be very dumb) - things like dumping clothing in his apartment block bins etc suggests that he panicked afterwards. also attacking somebody so close to his apartment obviously he was always going to be investigated.

Then again maybe it was planned but his plan failed as he certainly didn’t plan for how loved Laken Hope Riley was and how quickly her friend would realise something was wrong! This gave him literally zero time after the attack to get away.

Laken Hope Riley was a beautiful girl (with an equally beautiful name!) she had what seems like such a loving family and strong friendship group and this has all been taken away in the most sickening of ways.

I am sick of women being brutally murdered when they are just going about daily activities such as exercise or walking home - this isn’t just a problem in the USA - it’s just as bad in the UK as well we have some equally sickening recent cases (Ashling Murphy, Sarah Everard, Sabina Nessa just to name a few) When will this end.

RIP Laken.

I just caught up on this whole thread - my heart breaks for this beautiful girl and my thoughts go out to her family & friends.

There’s a couple of things that stand out for me in this case:

The friend notifying the police so early on - this suggests to me that something must’ve alerted the friend ( I don’t believe anyone would report to the police if their friend didn’t turn up for a couple of hours - they could’ve just got chatting to somebody.. went for coffee etc) I’m guessing Laken had her location shared on her phone and this raised her friends suspicion.

The charge regarding stopping a 911 call - this suggests to me that the crime didn’t turn violent straight away - I usually find in ‘blunt trauma’ cases that the victim is rendered unconscious from behind so has no chances to call for help - I’m intrigued to find out what he tried to do to her first which led to the attempted call.

This to me doesn’t seem like a carefully planned attack (if it is then he must be very dumb) - things like dumping clothing in his apartment block bins etc suggests that he panicked afterwards. also attacking somebody so close to his apartment obviously he was always going to be investigated.

Then again maybe it was planned but his plan failed as he certainly didn’t plan for how loved Laken Hope Riley was and how quickly her friend would realise something was wrong! This gave him literally zero time after the attack to get away.

Laken Hope Riley was a beautiful girl (with an equally beautiful name!) she had what seems like such a loving family and strong friendship group and this has all been taken away in the most sickening of ways.

I am sick of women being brutally murdered when they are just going about daily activities such as exercise or walking home - this isn’t just a problem in the USA - it’s just as bad in the UK as well we have some equally sickening recent cases (Ashling Murphy, Sarah Everard, Sabina Nessa just to name a few) When will this end.

RIP Laken.
I think this cretin might have been trying to engage in convo or was following her and she attempted 911 which enraged him. I would not be surprised if they are other women he bothered on their run.

I'm listening to the PC and the first part has been about discussing new expenditures to hopefully add resources to LE and to the community. ATV's, better salaries for LE, more pathways for youth to interact with LE that may lead to a future LE career, camera's downtown with better range and viewpoints, quality housing etc.
He cautions against conflating immigration and crime. He would like to see border reform. He apparently has provided the press corps with a document with accurate statistics about their population trajectory and crime.

Last edited:
MOD REMINDER - If something isn't about THIS case, it's off topic and doesn't belong on THIS thread. Also, political matters aren't allowed at Weblseuths, with few exceptions on dedicated threads. Those of you posting about immigration on this thread are not brand new members who aren't aware of this rule. Members who continue to post about political issues will be subject to a time-out or thread ban.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mocitydon87
Back