Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
More information on the evidence that the prosecution has against Ibarra and that the defense wants supressed according to a motion the defense recently filed -

Specifically, Ibarra is asking to suppress "(a) two cellular devices believed by the State to belong to Defendant and the information contained within them; (b) genetic and physical information taken from the person of Defendant; (c) the contents of Defendant’s social media accounts, which include Snapchat, TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram; and (d) location data obtained from Google, Inc. In support of this motion," a court document filed on Thursday reads.

The defense is also asking to exclude testimony related to the results of DNA testing of DNA found on Laken Riley's body -

In addition to his request to suppress evidence, Ibarra is also asking to exclude testimony from a witness who performed DNA testing during Riley's autopsy, alleging that the results "did not exclude Defendant, but also did not exclude another known individual associated with the case."

Last edited:
More information on the evidence that the prosecution has against Ibarra and that the defense wants supressed according to a motion the defense recently filed -

Specifically, Ibarra is asking to suppress "(a) two cellular devices believed by the State to belong to Defendant and the information contained within them; (b) genetic and physical information taken from the person of Defendant; (c) the contents of Defendant’s social media accounts, which include Snapchat, TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram; and (d) location data obtained from Google, Inc. In support of this motion," a court document filed on Thursday reads.

The defense is also asking to exclude testimony related to the results of DNA testing of DNA found on Laken Riley's body -

In addition to his request to suppress evidence, Ibarra is also asking to exclude testimony from a witness who performed DNA testing during Riley's autopsy, alleging that the results "did not exclude Defendant, but also did not exclude another known individual associated with the case."

I'll bet he is asking to suppress that evidence. I realize he's used to living in an illegal manner and without consequences, but is there any LEGAL reason that the evidence would be suppressed?! May justice be swift!

I'll bet he is asking to suppress that evidence. I realize he's used to living in an illegal manner and without consequences, but is there any LEGAL reason that the evidence would be suppressed?! May justice be swift!
My understanding is that LE didn't get a search warrant, they were worried that evidence would be destroyed so they just went into the apartment without a search warrant.

Ibarra's defense is arguing that the aforementioned items were unlawfully collected by law enforcement and that detectives entered his residence without a search warrant. He is asking for the evidence to be suppressed under the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, which makes certain evidence inadmissible if acquired through illegal measures.

My understanding is that LE didn't get a search warrant, they were worried that evidence would be destroyed so they just went into the apartment without a search warrant.

Ibarra's defense is arguing that the aforementioned items were unlawfully collected by law enforcement and that detectives entered his residence without a search warrant. He is asking for the evidence to be suppressed under the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, which makes certain evidence inadmissible if acquired through illegal measures.
I'm pretty sure that they have solid DNA evidence from the scene. moo

"They said an unidentified University of Georgia student called 911 just before 8am to report that someone peeked through her dorm windows and was at her front door near Milledge Avenue Extension.

University police responded just a few minutes later, but the perpetrator was already gone.

By 9.10am, Riley, an Augusta University College of Nursing student, called 911 from her cellphone at a location less than 1,000 feet from that dorm.

'That 911 call - the last outgoing call from Laken Riley's cellular telephone - was disconnected by defendant Ibarra,'
prosecutors claim.

'These incidents are connected by time, location motive and items of evidence'.

Prosecutors now say Ibarra hit Riley in the head, asphyxiated her and pulled up her clothing with the intent to rape her."

View attachment 533286

Last edited:

Just silly that the judge has to rule on such bogus time consuming and ridiculous requests from the defense.

But that is our justice system sometimes.

Just silly that the judge has to rule on such bogus time consuming and ridiculous requests from the defense.

But that is our justice system sometimes.
Personally I'm not sure the requests are so bogus. Since the evidence was obtained without a search warrant, it was not at all surprising to me to see those requests. I may be wrong but I'd think under those circumstances any competent defense attorney would file motions to exclude. Hopefully LE had its ducks in a row before entering without a warrant and the requests won't succeed. But there is always considerable risk of exclusion when evidence is obtained without a warrant. Fortunately there is other evidence not covered by these requests.
MOO

Personally I'm not sure the requests are so bogus. Since the evidence was obtained without a search warrant, it was not at all surprising to me to see those requests. I may be wrong but I'd think under those circumstances any competent defense attorney would file motions to exclude. Hopefully LE had its ducks in a row before entering without a warrant and the requests won't succeed. But there is always considerable risk of exclusion when evidence is obtained without a warrant. Fortunately there is other evidence not covered by these requests.
MOO

Exigent circumstances
Police can act without a warrant if they believe there is an immediate threat to public safety, evidence is being destroyed, or a suspect is trying to escape. For example, police can enter a home if they see someone flushing drugs down the toilet through an open window.

Exigent circumstances
Police can act without a warrant if they believe there is an immediate threat to public safety, evidence is being destroyed, or a suspect is trying to escape. For example, police can enter a home if they see someone flushing drugs down the toilet through an open window.
Yes, all that's true. But there is a need to be able to document that exigent circumstances actually existed. It's ALWAYS possible for LE to murmur "exigent circumstances" and if that's all it took to avoid getting a search warrant, there would be no limits on police power. So the defense filing a motion when no warrant was obtained was expected and IMO isn't bogus.

So far as I know & have read (I may have missed something) in this case LE wasn't looking through a window seeing evidence being destroyed. LE thought there was a chance evidence could be destroyed especially with multiple people in the apartment. But it's always the case that could happen.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rg143
Back