GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It makes the most sense that she would think that he might be suicidal after receiving such a text. However, the reporting suggests that she was concerned it might be something else. Family members said earlier that about a week before the shooting they feared that he was homicidal or suicidal. So it is unclear what she thought at that moment when she called the school. I am sure we will eventually find out the whole story.

It would make sense that the fear was both homicidal and suicidal. The mother's fear also had to take into account that he had access to an AR15 style gun, which is often a weapon in school shootings AND is not often used in suicides. He also had other gun access. So, if he was at school, the leap was probably harming others and then himself.

And still no one called LE?

“I was the one that notified the school counselor at the high school,” Gray said in a text message to her sister, Annie Brown, according to a screenshot of the conversation obtained by the Post. “I told them it was an extreme emergency and for them to go immediately and find [my son] to check on him.”

Brown declined to elaborate what prompted Gray to warn the school, but Charles Polhamus, the suspect's grandfather, told the New York Post Saturday that Gray rushed to Winder, about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta, after getting a text message from her son that read “I’m sorry, mom."

Mother of Georgia shooting suspect said she called school before attack, report says

Surely there was something said prior to, I’m sorry mom.

Jmo

Was the school aware of the shooters thoughts?
If so
Why in hell was a student who was known to be having current "homicidal" and "suicidal" thoughts be permitted to attend school?

"The texts also show that the school and family were in contact about his mental health a week before the shooting, and that Brown told a relative the teen was at the time having “homicidal and suicidal thoughts.”

I don't think any facts exist pertaining to the exact firearm used in this case, however, an ar15 rifle comes in myriad sizes, and easily breaks down in to two pieces, the barrel, and the stock, or the "upper" and the "lower". So, one example, the upper is 25 inches long, and the lower is 18 inches long....could be put in a backpack.

Then there is the ar15 pistol, which is even smaller.

I don't know the exact time of the start of the shooting, and for me, I'm always cautious as to reports of how things in these shootings transpired, no matter what the origin of the report.

I'm not convinced this murderer ever made it to class on the day of the killing. I opine he went straight to the bathroom, or elsewhere, and stayed there, easily assembled his weapon, I mean, the two parts mate together easier than tying shoes, and two pins push across the parts, one pin forward, the other rearward, where the upper and lower mate together, and you just push those pins in, as easy as snapping a jacket or coat snap.

Another item I've not heard, when the call went to the school, there is no report that the mother mentioned a gun, or suicide, or murder...not that I've seen. So, at this juncture, in defense of the school, a counselor could easily have gone looking for this young man, and had difficulty finding him, if he were hiding in a bathroom, or a dark auditorium, or whatever.

My persistent focus is on one thing, for sure...public schools must put in place procedures to prevent firearms from entering school buildings. All sorts of stuff comes in to public schools in backpacks, knives, razor knives, guns, drugs, vapes, alcohol, you name it.

Shootings on the bus, or outside areas, are a concern too, but it's difficult to assemble an ar15 on the bus and get away with it. And lastly, indeed, a kid, or adult, could wheel in to the parking lot, get out of a car, and start shooting, for sure. Shootings are a common thing in the U.S. Go to google, pick a town or city, type that in to the search bar, and then add the word "shootings", hit the go button, and you'll find all sorts of stuff. Generally speaking...the smaller the town, the fewer the shootings. There are no guarantees of safety in this world, the question is, for me, is it worth the investment to prevent the firearms from entering public schools?

If so
Why in hell was a student who was known to be having current "homicidal" and "suicidal" thoughts be permitted to attend school?

"The texts also show that the school and family were in contact about his mental health a week before the shooting, and that Brown told a relative the teen was at the time having “homicidal and suicidal thoughts.”

We don't know at this point if the mother or her family told the school about his homicidal thoughts or suicidal thoughts. In one article the shooter's maternal aunt said that they were at the school to discuss his behavior, she didn't get specific - other than to mention issues related to his absenteeism/truancy issues.

If so

There is so much unknown about this incident, and the information is quite suspect, in my opinion. For instance, was this killer in school a week before the shooting? And if not, then it is entirely likely a school counselor would have advised the parent/guardian to take the child to a counselor, or to the emergency room at the local hospital, where an evaluation would take place. I've been on this schools website, and they have a HUGE list of available psychiatric/therapeutic resources. If the kid's not in school, the school can't provide counseling, further, if the parent doesn't seek counseling for the kid, or the kid refuses to participate, then what do suppose a school should do?

Availability of counseling? Timing? Ease of scheduling appointments? Transportation? Parental desire to initiate? Student desire to participate? I mean, this stuff can be extremely complicated....once again, I was boots on the ground in this field, I know the reality of what goes on here. Way too much leading up to this shooting, for me anyway, to lay blame, other than on the murderer, who pulled the trigger and killed 4 people.

Buying troubled teens assault rifles is unimaginable to me, so glad to see the subsequent arrest of the enabler.

Yes. And if he was not in a mental health crisis prior and began to have one, leaving him access to any fire arm is unbelievable. IT is so easy to lock up a gun or remove it from your home until the situation is safe.

I don't think any facts exist pertaining to the exact firearm used in this case, however, an ar15 rifle comes in myriad sizes, and easily breaks down in to two pieces, the barrel, and the stock, or the "upper" and the "lower". So, one example, the upper is 25 inches long, and the lower is 18 inches long....could be put in a backpack.

Then there is the ar15 pistol, which is even smaller.

I don't know the exact time of the start of the shooting, and for me, I'm always cautious as to reports of how things in these shootings transpired, no matter what the origin of the report.

I'm not convinced this murderer ever made it to class on the day of the killing. I opine he went straight to the bathroom, or elsewhere, and stayed there, easily assembled his weapon, I mean, the two parts mate together easier than tying shoes, and two pins push across the parts, one pin forward, the other rearward, where the upper and lower mate together, and you just push those pins in, as easy as snapping a jacket or coat snap.

Another item I've not heard, when the call went to the school, there is no report that the mother mentioned a gun, or suicide, or murder...not that I've seen. So, at this juncture, in defense of the school, a counselor could easily have gone looking for this young man, and had difficulty finding him, if he were hiding in a bathroom, or a dark auditorium, or whatever.

My persistent focus is on one thing, for sure...public schools must put in place procedures to prevent firearms from entering school buildings. All sorts of stuff comes in to public schools in backpacks, knives, razor knives, guns, drugs, vapes, alcohol, you name it.

Shootings on the bus, or outside areas, are a concern too, but it's difficult to assemble an ar15 on the bus and get away with it. And lastly, indeed, a kid, or adult, could wheel in to the parking lot, get out of a car, and start shooting, for sure. Shootings are a common thing in the U.S. Go to google, pick a town or city, type that in to the search bar, and then add the word "shootings", hit the go button, and you'll find all sorts of stuff. Generally speaking...the smaller the town, the fewer the shootings. There are no guarantees of safety in this world, the question is, for me, is it worth the investment to prevent the firearms from entering public schools?
Thanks for all the info.
I've read that having students line up to go through a metal detector creates long,long lines and takes a lot of time before school so that was one down-fall claimed and keeping kids out in cold weather during winter was another.

There is so much unknown about this incident, and the information is quite suspect, in my opinion. For instance, was this killer in school a week before the shooting? And if not, then it is entirely likely a school counselor would have advised the parent/guardian to take the child to a counselor, or to the emergency room at the local hospital, where an evaluation would take place. I've been on this schools website, and they have a HUGE list of available psychiatric/therapeutic resources. If the kid's not in school, the school can't provide counseling, further, if the parent doesn't seek counseling for the kid, or the kid refuses to participate, then what do suppose a school should do?

Availability of counseling? Timing? Ease of scheduling appointments? Transportation? Parental desire to initiate? Student desire to participate? I mean, this stuff can be extremely complicated....once again, I was boots on the ground in this field, I know the reality of what goes on here. Way too much leading up to this shooting, for me anyway, to lay blame, other than on the murderer, who pulled the trigger and killed 4 people.
IMO:
This all depends on whether the school knew the week before that the shooter was having HOMICIDAL and suicidal thoughts.
A student with homicidal thoughts should never be permitted on school grounds.
This totally transcends a school giving the parents a list of therapists and recommends they take their kid to one.

Thanks for all the info.
I've read that having students line up to go through a metal detector creates long,long lines and takes a lot of time before school so that was one down-fall claimed and keeping kids out in cold weather during winter was another.
Yes, I've heard every possible reason to not regulate the entry of firearms in to public school buildings. Yet here we are, in 2024, continuing to discuss everything that went wrong, in yet another case....wanting to blame someone....anyone....rather than put a stop to the entry of firearms in to the school building.

Baffling.

I've always spoken freely with administration at the district I worked at, and they knew it :) If a man walks in to a school with an ar15, and 150 rounds of 5.56 nato on him, he owns the place, and nobody can touch him....until he runs out of ammo, the gun jams, he commits suicide, or someone else takes him out. That's the reality.

This kid quit when confronted with an armed individual in that building.

The maternal grandmother of the 14-year-old suspect in the deadly Apalachee High School shooting in Winder, Georgia, visited the school the day before the massacre to discuss the suspect's alleged behavioral issues, the family revealed to CBS News Saturday.

"My wife had gone up there…the day before and met with the teachers to get him some, they were having some problems with him not going to school, and this kind of thing," Charlie Polhamus, the maternal grandfather of suspect Colt Gray, told CBS News in a phone interview. "So, my wife went up there. This was the day before all this stuff happened."

Polhamus was unsure what occurred during that visit, but said it did not appear to have resulted in a suspension.

So, he must have started school two weeks before this happened, but he was not going regularly.

The grandfather places all the blame on the dad.

Colin regularly screamed at Marcee and the kids, he claimed. Marcee herself once described herself as a victim of abuse wrote her kids were “thriving” after she and Colin split up last year.

Polhamus accused Colin of becoming addicted to opiates a few years ago, after hurting his back. He allegedly pressured Marcee to obtain drugs for him when doctors refused to hand over prescriptions, the grandfather said.

“Living in that environment – they lost their house, he lost his job,” the grandfather said of Colin Gray

Two years he laid on his back and never did a thing. My daughter Marcee worked. They had a half-million dollar farm before all this happened and they lost it.”

Marcee — whose rap sheet stretches back nearly two decades — moved with her three kids to Polhamus’ home, he said, but police sent the children back to their father after she was caught with drugs.

Her arrest record includes charges of drug possession, aggravated battery, theft and criminal trespass and she once “threatened to kill her husband” during an incident, according to the Daily Mail.

Thanks for all the info.
We have metal detectors in our schools. The line moves quickly. Every student is provided a clear bookbag, no others allowed, size limits. Most all assignments are completed on laptops using Canvas software.
Our schools contract with local LE for a 2 hour shift each am. We do have several retired officers that returned to work just to staff the metal detectors. (It's a good part time gig)
Any student with questionable items are removed from the line, taken to another area for search. If weapons are found LE notified, if not approved items, school retains, parents are notified of school violation, can result in suspension, arrest.
We also use metal detectors at all sporting events, graduation, and other large events.
Moo...

IMO:
This all depends on whether the school knew the week before that the shooter was having HOMICIDAL and suicidal thoughts.
A student with homicidal thoughts should never be permitted on school grounds.
This totally transcends a school giving the parents a list of therapists and recommends they take their kid to one.
One would think, but not necessarily the case. One day a kid says he's homicidal, next day he says he's not, he can even be put in placement for a week, then discharged, and sent to school. I've seen it dozens and dozens of times. In fact, often a student could be scaled as to risk in less time than that, without inpatient treatment, and deemed safe to attend school. When asked if he's homicidal, he says no, never was, I was kiddin', or whatever. This is the reality. Seriously, it goes on all the time, I'm speaking from hands on experience.

How can a person know the true thoughts of another's mind?

Lastly, the number and variation of diagnoses in students attending public school is mind boggling, the medications, I mean, it's quite revealing if a person knows the truth. Some students have histories of violence, aggression, ADD, ODD, Bipolar, Juvenile Probation, history of firearms use, anger management issues, destructive, going to placements, coming from placements, hospitalizations, inpatient, therapy for years, psychotic episodes, psychiatric care, violent artwork, intense drug use of all persuasions....

I worked residential treatment, and I worked public school. Residential, where I worked, had more dangerous kids, but was a safer environment, by a long shot. Why? because every kid that came on to that campus had their belongings thoroughly searched prior to entry. Bringing 1,200 students in to a building, each with a backpack, you have no idea what you're getting in the building.....none. I was terrified at first, for real!

We have metal detectors in our schools. The line moves quickly. Every student is provided a clear bookbag, no others allowed, size limits. Most all assignments are completed on laptops using Canvas software.
Our schools contract with local LE for a 2 hour shift each am. We do have several retired officers that returned to work just to staff the metal detectors. (It's a good part time gig)
Any student with questionable items are removed from the line, taken to another area for search. If weapons are found LE notified, if not approved items, school retains, parents are notified of school violation, can result in suspension, arrest.
We also use metal detectors at all sporting events, graduation, and other large events.
Moo...
Thank you!

According to this article, the father worked cnstruction at the time of the FBI interview, so if he was still in that line of work then he likely left home very early the day of the school shooting by his son.

According to this article, the father worked cnstruction at the time of the FBI interview, so if he was still in that line of work then he likely left home very early the day of the school shooting by his son.
This makes sense. I was at the helm in the truancy initiative at our school. Did you know truancy is a risk factor for violence?

Anyway, this scenario was one we'd often see. The working single mother, or in this case, dad, leaving for work prior to the child needing to get to school. The child simply doesn't go.

Father and son questioned by police last year

Colt Gray and his father were interviewed last year in connection with online threats about a school shooting made on the gaming platform Discord following a tip-off from the FBI.

Investigators said the teenager denied making the comments.

At the time, Colin Gray told officials he had hunting guns locked in a safe in the house but his son did not have access to them.

Colt Gray: Teenage suspect in Georgia school shooting told he will not face death penalty

Friday 6 September 2024 20:22, UK

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo
Back