GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wonder if charging the accused juvenile shooter as an adult has any potential impact on whether the father might also be charged?

And I am not advocating or suggesting that the accused juvenile shooter should not be charged as an adult. Or that the father should not also be charged if allowed or applicable. Just a question as denoted above. IANAL. MOO
WHOA. Just this second:7:34 pm, father arrested with a few very serious charges, manslaughter and more.

We had a legal duty to pass on any safeguarding or behavioural issues to the next school - I’m amazed that this isn’t the case in the US system.

We do have something in America, or at least we do in NY.

It’s called the “permanent record” and follows them from kindergarten through 12th grade.

It’s a Manila envelope and some folders, and already very thick by the time the students have reached 8th grade, which is when I get them for my homeroom class.

It contains information and artifacts that are deemed important to show a child’s development through the years. What book was their favorite in second grade, a book illustration they drew in 3rd grade, commendations and awards that they’ve received, eye chart results, height and weight through the years, immigration records, attendance records, if they have food allergies etc.

It also has anecdotals, which do tell us about behavioral issues that have been documented throughout their school years. If they’ve been in fights, if they’ve been suspended, if they have demonstrated concerning behavior.

My job is to read those all prior to the incoming school year to familiarize myself with the students, and at the end of the year I have put in everything I’ve needed to add to the permanent record, as well as what high school they will be attending after graduation.

Then they’re bundled up and sent to the myriad of different high schools that have accepted them.

What it does NOT have is anything to do with matters that pertain to police involvement (typically that doesn’t occur before 6th grade or so) because those are sealed as juvenile records.

Last edited:
Wow, they threw the book at him with shocking speed.

With the precedent of Michigan, I would think that a quick arrest will stem the outrage of the community/nation/world relating to family postings and comments. This man spoke on the record to LE and clearly was unable to ensure that his weapons were secured and his son cared for. IMHO, he should also be charged for child neglect for not getting his son help.

Is it bad that i feel some level of sympathy for him?
I don't think so. If those who mattered to him had this sympathy, perhaps he wouldn't have taken this path. I felt the same way listening to Ethan Crumbley's statement in court. He seemed like such a bright young man who wasted his life because no one seemed to care.

Per CNN:

Colin Gray, age 54, has been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children.

Wow. They're not messing around. I'm here for it!

Those aren't too serious. When Feds have to push local LE to act on these domestic terrorists, they often try to go easy. Have seen it happen.

Georgia code says 1 yr prison minimum, 10 yrs maximum . They'll probably bargain it down so that the father spends a year in jail, total. Afterwards, he'll probably get his guns back.

(a) A person commits the offense of involuntary manslaughter in the commission of an unlawful act when he causes the death of another human being without any intention to do so by the commission of an unlawful act other than a felony. A person who commits the offense of involuntary manslaughter in the commission of an unlawful act, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years.

Those aren't too serious. When Feds have to push local LE to act on these domestic terrorists, they often try to go easy. Have seen it happen.

Georgia code says 1 yr prison minimum, 10 yrs maximum . They'll probably bargain it down so that the father spends a year in jail, total. Afterwards, he'll probably get his guns back.

What about the 2 second degree murders?

With the precedent of Michigan, I would think that a quick arrest will stem the outrage of the community/nation/world relating to family postings and comments. This man spoke on the record to LE and clearly was unable to ensure that his weapons were secured and his son cared for. IMHO, he should also be charged for child neglect for not getting his son help.
The issue is that state law is state law. Michigan’s law seemed to support charging in a pretty straightforward way.

As I said upthread, Georgia would have to get pretty creative to charge the dad here. It looks like the underlying unlawful activity to support the involuntary manslaughter charges is cruelty to children. Since cruelty to children is in play, that also supports second degree murder charges outright. It looks like the state will be claiming that the father engaged in criminal negligence that led to “cruel or excessive physical or mental pain” in children. They probably have a pretty solid case since the father was so willing to admit to all of his negligent activities.

If he spends a year in jail, he can’t lawfully own guns ever again… he’s a felon.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure Georgia’s manslaughter laws allow for charging something like this. They would have to get pretty creative to wrap the father in.
I suspect if Colt's father (Colin) bought the semi-assault rifle legally, it must have been registered under Colin's name. I am not familiar with Georgia gun laws but there was recently a similar case in Illinois.

Robert Crimo III used an assault rifle to massacre seven people at the Highland Park Illinois Fourth of July Parade in 2022. Though he was 21 yo at the time, his father Robert Crimo Jr. had signed his Illinois Gun Registration card.

Robert Crimo Jr. was sentenced to 60 days in jail after pleading guilty on November 6 to misdemeanor counts of reckless conduct for helping his son acquire a firearm owner's id card, despite red flags. and served 60 days in jail.

JMO

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with a gun for Christmas, for a teen, like a .22. That is secured, unless under adult supervision. But a semi automatic rifle, is a bit extreme.
That's an American attitude Mickey that Canadians can't fathom. Guns as a gift? Parents here even argue whether a toy gun should be given to a child. Water pistols maybe, but that's about it. We just shake our heads, as do those in the UK, Australia, NZ, etc. Hopefully, your younger generation won't adopt such a casual attitude towards guns.

Georgia does not play. Nod of respect for quick decisiveness here.

Georgia is ok with this kind of thing. Its why they allow degenerate fathers to buy AR 15 style weapons for 14 yo kids.

The penalty is 1 to 10 yrs. They won't give him max because the local judges probably think the same way as the father. I'll wager he'll have his sentenced reduced to 1 yr, 2 max.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153
Back