General Discussion #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So Smith Mountain Lake was only an hour away, Raven had a free day AND had his own vehicle to drive? Hmmmm ... was someone watching Kaiden on May 8th, I wonder?

What also disturbs me is that the correct route from Buena Vista to SML does not follow an interstate. One would follow US-221 S, which is a semi-secluded, heavily wooded area. I don't really know what I'm getting at, but there seem to be lots of places one could get rid of stuff if that was the goal.

And what better way to do it than to claim that you need to take a drive alone to clear your head? Who would question that on the weekend of your spouse's funeral?

Also, it's so far from the crime scene that the disposed items might as well have just disappeared. Even if they were to be found, what are the chances they'd ever be linked to a crime in North Carolina? It does seem like it could fit into a "perfect" plan pretty well.

Hi Everyone...This is my first posting. I've been a lurker in this forum since May and am frustrated by the lack of progress in the case. I became aware of the case because as a friend-of-a-friend, I was at Janet's funeral in Buena Vista. I am having a difficult time believing that Raven isn't the culprit, although I admit the evidence is entirely circumstantial. Still, I can't believe that LE hasn't been able to find forensic evidence to connect him to the crime, especially since it was a stabbing, an up-close-and-personal attack which typically leaves lots of physical evidence on both the victim and perpetrator. I'm very eager to find out what LE has discovered, if anything, from ISP records. The missing laptop and/or its online data trail has got to be the key to breaking the case, or at least pointing LE towards new evidence.

welcome slinky...........good thoughts, i agree, the 'data-trail' on the "missing" lap-top is key...............of course "missing" or not, LE is able to get a ton of info from the IP , google,gmail etc.............(and raven thought he was so clever....NOT).

..also, why-------as a "friend of a friend' and not directly knowing janet or raven, do you have a hard time believing he could do this ?is it because raven appeared truly distraught at the funeral ? was he ? in your opinion, what WAS his demeanour that day ?

..as an "onlooker" that day in particuler, i welcome your perspective.......

slinkycat said:
I'm very eager to find out what LE has discovered, if anything, from ISP records. The missing laptop and/or its online data trail has got to be the key to breaking the case, or at least pointing LE towards new evidence.
Hi slinkycat, and thank you SO MUCH for joining us! You just made my whole weekend. :)

What you mentioned is to me, one of the most frustrating aspects of this case. We'll hear about something new and interesting and get our hopes up and then we hear nothing of it ever again. Not any results, not that there were no results ... just nothing.

At least once a week, I find myself thinking, "I just can't believe that this case is STILL ongoing - surely it can't be much longer", only to find myself saying the same exact thing the following week and the week after that and the week after that ...

But I'll say it again ... surely it can't be much longer?

Has anyone visited the Tears for Janet website lately at tearsforjanet.com? It is a beautiful website and gives you a good idea of what Janet was like.

Lighthouse said:
Has anyone visited the Tears for Janet website lately at tearsforjanet.com? It is a beautiful website and gives you a good idea of what Janet was like.
I did not know one existed. Where did you hear about this site?

Is it just me ? or is someone kidding ? The url is wrong, click on it and nothing happens.

It worked five minutes ago. It is not completely finished yet but what they have is very nice.

Oops, please forgive my manners! Welcome lighthouse! Thanks for sharing that link with us! :)

I went to the site and all I can say is WOW! Thank you so much Lighthouse for sharing that with us.

It's absolutely beautiful...although it seems a work in progress, a beautiful work in progress. I was in tears just looking at it.

JerseyGirl said:
SES, you had asked jager about his impressions of Raven in person, not realizing that he had never met Raven in person. I found this part of his response interesting:

What I find interesting about that is that apparently, in just those couple of paragraphs, Raven had told jager all kinds of stuff about himself and his soccer activities. How does one find an opening to talk about oneself that much in the space of just a couple of introductory paragraphs??? Some interesting personality traits at play there, IMO.

At least the soccer detail stood out in his memory. It did prove helpful in figuring out some stuff.

Very interesting.
I found this extremely interesting after going through many of the old threads again. So many things stood to this guy and his memory, but yet even more strange was how much INFORMATION Raven seemed willing to give out to someone he never met before.

Yet, Raven can't seem to talk or ask for help in finding the killer of his wife and unborn child. We all know Raven is a big talker, guess he only likes talking about himself.

lauriej said:
welcome slinky...........good thoughts, i agree, the 'data-trail' on the "missing" lap-top is key...............of course "missing" or not, LE is able to get a ton of info from the IP , google,gmail etc.............(and raven thought he was so clever....NOT).

..also, why-------as a "friend of a friend' and not directly knowing janet or raven, do you have a hard time believing he could do this ?is it because raven appeared truly distraught at the funeral ? was he ? in your opinion, what WAS his demeanour that day ?

..as an "onlooker" that day in particuler, i welcome your perspective.......
We saw Raven right after we entered the rear entrance of the church in Buena Vista. I didn't know him but some of the people in my group recognized him and whispered to the others of us that he was Janet's husband. He came out of the viewing room where Janet was laid out, took a deep breath, closed his eyes, let out a very heavy sigh, and grimaced like he was trying to maintain composure. After the funeral, several of us commented on that 'display', and how fake it seemed, like he knew that he should show some emotion, but wasn't sure what to do. And I thought it was odd that he was completely alone, with nobody talking with him, comforting him, supporting him as he said a final goodbye to his wife in the viewing room. He stood outside the viewing room for a minute or so, and then moved on down the hall. That's the last I saw of him close-up. We sat in the rear of the church during the service and I only saw the back of his head after that. I remember that he held Kaiden for most of the service.

That is very similar to what I experienced at the service in Buena Vista. There were times when he was even chatty and upbeat. Being a very reserved person emotionally, I usually don't like to judge others' reactions to events...but you're right...so much of what I saw from Raven when he was "grieving" seemed very forced.

Thanks for posting, Slinky!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back