General Discussion Thread No. 18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tanner/OBriens want to get their stories straight with LE before they are further shoved by the McCanns. IMO And the story said lawyers, rather than lawyer. If they each have a lawyer, the plot thickens. If this story is true, that is!

At this stage, I think it would be unethical for one lawyer to represent two of the Tapas 9. There is just too much potential for conflicts of interest to arise, particularly if one starts implicating the other.

I would assume the UK would have ethical rules similar to those we have in the US restricting a lawyer's ability to represent two people who might have or develop competing interests as an investigation or trial proceeds.

I personally think if anyone is changing their story, it will be 2 women in the group...and probably an older and wiser one. My guess is that Dianne Webster , and her daughter Fiona Payne are about to crack. They seem the most likely. Mrs. Webster has not given any public statements, which tells me she has the most common sence. I bet she convinced her daughter to "tell all" so they can get on with their life.
That is quite possible, although if David Payne is involved I cannot see his wife turning against him. I reckon it will be a husband/wife team.

Why are the Tapas Seven so afraid of the McCanns? What kind of pressures can Gerry's gang exert upon them?

These articles make it sound like the McCanns and retinue are the Brit version of the Sopranos.

"These two members of the group have asked for their identities to be kept secret because they fear that as a result of the 'clarifications' they intend making about what happened the night Madeleine disappeared, they may be pressured by people linked to the McCann family."

If you wanted to make an anonymous statement to the police, what you would not do is announce your intent in advance to a reporter. Reporters communicate and inform and ensure that any privacy or secrecy attached to your divulgence is immediately compromised. What we have today is, put euphemistically, journalistic gossip. The daily news on the case is full of supposition, assumption, filler and fabrication and that regards the facts of the case. When you get into something as insubstantial as the intent of witnesses, there is not a prayer that the report is accurate. They are churning because these tabloids know we are eager for developments and forward movement, including the new interrogations of the Tapas dinner party doctors and Murat.

Well, it all sounds a bit sinister to me. Are there no laws in the UK that forbid the intimidation of witnesses?

If you wanted to make an anonymous statement to the police, what you would not do is announce your intent in advance to a reporter. Reporters communicate and inform and ensure that any privacy or secrecy attached to your divulgence is immediately compromised. What we have today is, put euphemistically, journalistic gossip. The daily news on the case is full of supposition, assumption, filler and fabrication and that regards the facts of the case. When you get into something as insubstantial as the intent of witnesses, there is not a prayer that the report is accurate. They are churning because these tabloids know we are eager for developments and forward movement, including the new interrogations of the Tapas dinner party doctors and Murat.
Wel we don't have any denials directly from the Tapas 7. They have spoken before to say that there was no pact of secrecy.

AMW.com has just posted an update to the case saying they found a bag of clothing near the villa where Maddie and her parents were vacationing.

Barnaby, my guess is that Jane is about to reveal that she made up the whole story about Bundle Man after prompting by Russell, who was collaborating with Gerry.

After all, she didn't even remember seeing Bundle Man until a couple of weeks after the event.

Her story always sounded fishy to me.

Barnaby, my guess is that Jane is about to reveal that she made up the whole story about Bundle Man after prompting by Russell, who was collaborating with Gerry.

After all, she didn't even remember seeing Bundle Man until a couple of weeks after the event.

Her story always sounded fishy to me.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=492193&in_page_id=1811&ct=5

Jane Tanner rubbishes the report here! Either covering up or it's not her & O'Brien that are going to talk.

Does anyone know which two of the Tapas friends did NOT attend the service last saturday night in Rothley? I didn't think any of them were there but I see chat on the Mirror forums that two did not attend because they said it was for family & friends (rubbish of course as the McCanns said they went to the Anglican Church because of it'e large capacity)

It was the report that she had observed him that was not released for three weeks. It might never have been made public save for pressure from Britain. But her deposition was made just after the event. It was easy to push for the release because, after all, all of PDL was trying to find Madeleine. The description should have gone out immediately. Don't get me wrong, I do think the witnesses will alter and clarify because there has been so much misunderstanding, much of it to do with language. So many words and phrases do not correspond between Portuguese and English and the strangest ideas fill in the muddy areas.

Wow! Barnaby--it would be good to know which two did not show up at the memorial.

Tuba, thanks for the clarification. The REPORT was not released for three weeks. I had misunderstood that.

It's not Russell and Jane, according to them :doh:

At her home in Exeter, Devon, she denied that she or her partner Russell O'Brien were about to change their statements. She said: "We've had no contact with the police."

Two other members of the Tapas Nine, Matthew and Rachael Oldfield, also denied that they wanted to change their accounts.

At their £1million terraced house in Richmond, South-West London, Mr Oldfield said: "We've not changed our statement and as far as I know it's the same for the rest of the group."

I guess that leaves David and Fiona Payne as the two who are about to break with the gang.

No more Pacto de Silencio?

Who did not attend the 6 mos. memorial is interesting and two refraining certainly stand out. Maybe we could learn the names from a social columnist on the Mercury in the home town. I will research it and I hope you will too. The two refraining may feel alienated. Of course, if it is O'Brien & Tanner, their morale is in the cellar and they may be hibernating.
"Friends and family" should included the Tapas group as friends, surely.

Thanks for all the research you do and for sharing with us.

May I ask if you are planning to write a book about this case?

Who did not attend the 6 mos. memorial is interesting and two refraining certainly stand out. Maybe we could learn the names from a social columnist on the Mercury in the home town. I will research it and I hope you will too. The two refraining may feel alienated. Of course, if it is O'Brien & Tanner, their morale is in the cellar and they may be hibernating.
"Friends and family" should included the Tapas group as friends, surely.
Thanks Tuba, I am checking back on the thread in the Mirror forums, as the question has been asked there. Apparently the missing two were discussed on another thread so searching for that also.
One would think that if the two were close enough to share a holiday and such a traumatic experience with a couple then they would certainly be counted as friends!

For the record, surely it was very bad form at the very least of Clarence Mitchell to call the Tapas members to clarify the story? Could be intimidating witnesses?

Another thought, this story could be a very clever fabrication on the part of the PJ to sow the seed of mistrust among the Tapas group! If any members are guilty then they may just crack & try to get in first with their "corrected story"

Jane does look better. Nice sweater, too!

I have a feeling things are going to get interesting in the next few days.

Clarence had better watch his step, and not go around intimidating witnesses.

See y'all tomorrow.

I am surprised, very. It was David & Fiona Payne that failed to show. Fiona was close to Kate and stayed behind in PDL after 3 May to see her through. However, the PJ are not interested in naming these two as arguidos, so they may have separated themselves from the pack. Not much suspicion ever rested on them anyway. They did not check on the children and did not give copious acc'ts of what happened that night. But for them not to attend the service?! I'm stunned, rocked, knocked flat.

I won't be traveling to Portugal and for that reason I wouldn't think of writing about this tragedy. Anyone who does a good job of documenting Madeleine's story should have on the ground knowledge, don't you agree? I appreciate all of the discoveries and research that others on our forum do. We all seem to have the same passion to run the facts to earth. Things don't always sort out the way they should and secrecy laws or no secrecy laws, my strong feeling is that what has been selected for public view is not the most useful, telling and important information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondgirl#7