General Discussion-Thread No. 25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex Lax! <snort> !! Send him some of the prison label toilet paper too. :D:run::run::run:

HAHA...I meant Ex Lax to the DA. As the saying goes, "chit or get off the pot" with the JY case.

PC...we could request BC to send JY the prison toilet paper signed, "can't wait to meet my new roommate!"

Mom, that's what I meant: send the DA some of the prison label tpaper. That and the ExLax will get his butt moving. They probably use sawdust from the "hobby room" at the prison to make into toilet paper for the jailmates. Splintery, and a renewable resource too.

The Novo Nordisk computer forensics may take a while.
I was told the SBI does this in a "cue" and this is not the only case they are looking at hard drive data.
State budgets are tight, so a private computer forensic firm is out of the question.

I hope JY is scheduled for deposition ASAP in December rather than drawing it out into 2009. Though I bet he takes the 5th, the cops will be very interested in his response....don't look for an arrest until they know the direction of this possible civil discovery...imo.

I was told the SBI does this in a "cue" and this is not the only case they are looking at hard drive data.
State budgets are tight, so a private computer forensic firm is out of the question.

I hope JY is scheduled for deposition ASAP in December rather than drawing it out into 2009. Though I bet he takes the 5th, the cops will be very interested in his response....don't look for an arrest until they know the direction of this possible civil discovery...imo.

From reading the warrant, last page in particular, it seems Novo recovered the data for LE. The warrant is for the data - page 1. Perhaps all that is required is a verification procedure.

From reading the warrant, last page in particular, it seems Novo recovered the data for LE. The warrant is for the data - page 1. Perhaps all that is required is a verification procedure.

Raw data on a large hard-drive can be like a reading a road map to nowhere. I think the time consuming part is organizing the file fragments and determining if the browser searches, cache files and e-mails are of evidenciary value. I imagine that process would quite time consuming.

Raw data on a large hard-drive can be like a reading a road map to nowhere. I think the time consuming part is organizing the file fragments and determining if the browser searches, cache files and e-mails are of evidenciary value. I imagine that process would quite time consuming.

I would agree if the hard drive had been seized, it was not.

I now work for a LE agency that has its own internal computer forensics lab. I'd be glad to ask any questions you may have (I can't answer, as it's all basically like Greek to me).

Watching those that do the forensics exams, it appears that they average 1-3 days to complete, but as you mentioned, there's usually a backlog. We did have another agency call one day to see if one of our experts could do an exam on a computer from a murdered man's house, and that one did get "bumped" up in the order. However, it was a new case, versus one that was 2 years old.

I agree with you Raisincharlie - the warrant was executed and returned within 1 minute of each other on Nov 6. I was under the impression that once a SW was returned, the search was over. Is that not the case?

I agree with you Raisincharlie - the warrant was executed and returned within 1 minute of each other on Nov 6. I was under the impression that once a SW was returned, the search was over. Is that not the case?

No it is not the case.
The SW was needed before LE could analyze the data.

Novo Nordisk has reportedly been able to recover data from the hard drive of the computer issued to Jason Young. This search warrant is being requested for the limited purpose of gathering possible evidence and recovered data from a computer used by Jason Young that is the personal property of Novo Nordisk

Yes, the drive data was apparently copied and given to LE.
Guess that saved the SBI about an hour or so ?

I now work for a LE agency that has its own internal computer forensics lab. I'd be glad to ask any questions you may have (I can't answer, as it's all basically like Greek to me).

Watching those that do the forensics exams, it appears that they average 1-3 days to complete, but as you mentioned, there's usually a backlog. We did have another agency call one day to see if one of our experts could do an exam on a computer from a murdered man's house, and that one did get "bumped" up in the order. However, it was a new case, versus one that was 2 years old.

Thanks for the insider answer DD.
Like I said, I was told there is a backlog at the SBI for computer forensic exams,,,no different from the DNA backlogs in our lab.....our State budgets are being cut as we speak.

Not necessarily with computer's. If there was a hard drive seized under a warrant, there will need to be another warrant for the retrieval of the data contained within the hard drive. This is necessary to establish and document custody of the property. What is contained on a hard drive is not openly viewable and must therefore be obtained under a warrant separate from the warrant for the physical drive.

My interpretation of this warrant is Novo did a search of their computer which had been used by JY and provided that recovered data to LE - not the drive. The property to be seized section of this warrant is for the data only, no mention of a physical seizure of the drive or a copy of said drive, and is served on a legal firm representing Novo. What can be expected if it goes to trial is for Novo to present how they obtained the data.

Novo Nordisk has reportedly been able to recover data from the hard drive of the computer issued to Jason Young. This search warrant is being requested for the limited purpose of gathering possible evidence and recovered data from a computer used by Jason Young that is the personal property of Novo Nordisk

Yes, the drive data was apparently copied and given to LE.
Guess that saved the SBI about an hour or so ?

More than that and no need for SBI to do anything if the recovered data was handed over in printed form.

Not necessarily with computer's. If there was a hard drive seized under a warrant, there will need to be another warrant for the retrieval of the data contained within the hard drive. This is necessary to establish and document custody of the property. What is contained on a hard drive is not openly viewable and must therefore be obtained under a warrant separate from the warrant for the physical drive.

My interpretation of this warrant is Novo did a search of their computer which had been used by JY and provided that recovered data to LE - not the drive. The property to be seized section of this warrant is for the data only, no mention of a physical seizure of the drive or a copy of said drive, and is served on a legal firm representing Novo. What can be expected if it goes to trial is for Novo to present how they obtained the data.

Keep in mind this hard drive belongs to Novo Nordisk and not JY.
If they voluntarily turned that over to LE (like video given by Hampton), no SW for the actual computer or drive was needed. However, a SW is required to open and analyze the data from the hard drive.

Based on the very clear protocol for recovering forensic data from computer hard drives, I sure hope the data was not simply mined by an IT tech at Novo. These searches should be done by LE or a certified and fully trained private forensic computer lab...if not, the defense will be all over the authenticity of recovered data used against JY.

Because Novo has no sales office in Raleigh, I think they sent the hard drive to a local law office and WCSO served the SW there....picking up the computer drive at the same time.

Things are slow around here. Jason Young is still waking up in his warm bed. Mamma is still making his pancakes and hot cocoa every morning, I assume, cutting them up for him and wiping his hands and mouth after he eats? All this while Michelle Young and her baby lie cold and lifeless in their graves and Cassidy has had her life twisted and changed forever? Justice, it is too late to be swift. Justice, be deserving,harsh and cold! Justice. Where, oh where is Justice?

Things are slow around here. Jason Young is still waking up in his warm bed. Mamma is still making his pancakes and hot cocoa every morning, I assume, cutting them up for him and wiping his hands and mouth after he eats? All this while Michelle Young and her baby lie cold and lifeless in their graves and Cassidy has had her life twisted and changed forever? Justice, it is too late to be swift. Justice, be deserving,harsh and cold! Justice. Where, oh where is Justice?

littleboy.jpg

ncwanted.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members